Board's Take on SD's Initial Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Board's Take on SD's Initial Recruiting

Postby Dirtywater75 on Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 am

We have Clifford (recruited by nobody), Odio (recruited by nobody) and Rubin (recruited by Colgate). The biggest rap on our new coach coming in was that as an Ivy League coach he will be miles behind in understanding how to recruit at this level and that very few Ivy League coaches have successfully transitioned to better leagues. In fairness, he did get somewhat of a late start in the process. But wouldn't you think any ACC program would be able to attract more competitive recruits than these? Is this a very bad sign or should we ignore and not worry about it? Or should we have reason to think these recruits will surprise us? It might be interesting to compare our recruits with the league's second tier programs.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Re: Board's Take on SD's Initial Recruiting

Postby bignick33 on Wed May 26, 2010 10:31 am

While I'm certainly concerned, I'm willing to give him a chance. The ACC Journal observed that we may be taking 2011 fliers that we particularly like earlier than we would in other years, due to the overall numbers that we will need to take. I think that this is a good observation; just because Coach D is taking B-List-type guys now, doesn't mean he isn't going after the big fish as well. See the quote:

BC Adds Odio For 2011 Class
Whenever a new recruit commits to an ACC school, I always check first with our resident analyst, Brick Oettinger, to get his take on the player’s game.

Brick couldn’t help me out with Eddie Odio, a 6-7 wing from Miami who became the second member of Boston College’s 2011 recruiting class. He hadn’t seen Odio play before. Translation: Odio’s not exactly a household name in recruiting.

The same was true for Steve Donahue’s first BC recruit, Class of 2011 center Dennis Clifford.

So what gives? Is Donahue still recruiting Ivy League level players even though he’s now in the ACC?

Again, give Donahue the benefit of the doubt here. We have no sample size to draw conclusions about how well or poorly he recruits at the high-major level. Maybe he’ll show he has a knack for unearthing previously unheralded talent (ironically a skill his predecessor, Al Skinner showed on multiple occasions).

Perhaps the most likely explanation for why Donahue’s already taken two sleeper recruits? He has 11 - yes 11!- open scholarships for the Class of 2011. So he needs bodies, lots of them.

Normally programs go after the guys they really want and then, if they miss on a few targets, take a chance on one or two late in the recruiting cycle. In the case of BC, the Eagels’ needs are so dire that they may be taking early chances on relative unknowns - just to make sure they have at least some roster spots filled - before going after their primary targets. Then, if they still have needs when Spring 2011 comes around, perhaps they’ll take a few more recruiting chances.

As I have said before, I wasn't thrilled about the fact that we pushed some players/recruits out the door, particularly given our lack of players. I just don't see us using all of our schollys for at least a few years, so I don't see how it was necessary. Clearly Coach D disagrees with my assessment. If anything, it seemed a bit un-BC like, but I'm definitely willing to live with it if it leads to good things down the line.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Wed May 26, 2010 10:50 am

I'll feel better when we land someone that there is competiion for, but at the very least it seems as though we've been "in on" guys you'd expect, albeit swings and misses.

As for the potential of the guys we've landed as "under the radar" guys and the coaches ability to coach them up (or build them up) I guess we wait and see.
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:00 am

He gets a pass on 2010, though he could use a couple of bodies. I assume that the 11 number is reduced by the Rubin signing.

But between 2010 and 2011, he needs to hit a HR. Otherwise, the program will be fucked for a while.

And thus far, it is underwhelming.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed May 26, 2010 11:14 am

Count me in the concerned group, but clearly not as concerned as some. I think many rational people expected major changes once the move was made, even if it wasn't this drastic. I can't say there is much that has instilled confidence in me yet. The man has only been on the job for 40 some days, though. While I'm remaining patient, it would be easier to swallow what is occuring if the difficulties were because of the change, etc. But some of it SD is apparently doing to himself - therefore the leash gets shorter and the made bed cliche starts sooner.

The ACC Journal brings up a good point, but when combined with the fact that some big targets have not been landed and gone to lesser programs, the argument weakens significantly.

One thing I would like to find out is the makeup of Jones' recruiting classes that began Nova's strong run. What were they like? Similar strategies, similar makeup, similar patterns to what we're seeing so far? That would make me feel better about the entire situation.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:16 am

I feel like he's got a gun without too many bullets in it. We have to offer:
-playing time in the ACC...

We have against us(some legit, some not):
- Conte gameday atmosphere;
- very late start;
- no 2009 class;
- Ivy league stigma.

So I think he gets a qualified pass for the immediate future, the problem is that we need a very above average performance, even if he's doing an ok job, it's not enough. Also I think we need a lot of luck here. There almost has to be separation between what is fair to expect and what needs to be done.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed May 26, 2010 11:38 am

SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BUNCH OF FUCKING WHINING PUSSY TWATS!

The guy has probably not moved yet, and those 2 guys who bailed, fuck them and the last 5 years of the Al Skinner Fat Elvis Resort Camp atmosphere...

As Barcolounger would never do..

Take a time out juveniles.......until February 2011 and see what he does with recruiting then and if we make the top 68 with the guys we got hustling, diving and working out...

JAGS....2 title games and if not for bad kicking....maybe a W....

Would you rather have TOBlunders0-13 and Nemo back and MIA Elvis recruiting from Yawkey bunker? Maybe these guys were thinking about bailing anyway or did not like the Stevie D routine and workout schedules?

To each his own...these guys were good, but they were not instant program changers yet or UNC level All Americans.

Until then...including when Rakim Sanders lights up the pussieleague for 35 a night like Marques Haynes...

:74

ENJOY!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed May 26, 2010 11:55 am

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:We have Clifford (recruited by nobody), Odio (recruited by nobody) and Rubin (recruited by Colgate). The biggest rap on our new coach coming in was that as an Ivy League coach he will be miles behind in understanding how to recruit at this level and that very few Ivy League coaches have successfully transitioned to better leagues. In fairness, he did get somewhat of a late start in the process. But wouldn't you think any ACC program would be able to attract more competitive recruits than these? Is this a very bad sign or should we ignore and not worry about it? Or should we have reason to think these recruits will surprise us? It might be interesting to compare our recruits with the league's second tier programs.

I could be wrong (I don't really follow bball recruiting), but wasn't Clifford blowing up a little bit? I thought he was offered by schools like UMass and PC and schools like Indiana were poking around. If that's the case, calling him recruited by nobody is a pretty big stretch.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He gets a pass on 2010, though he could use a couple of bodies. I assume that the 11 number is reduced by the Rubin signing.

But between 2010 and 2011, he needs to hit a HR. Otherwise, the program will be fucked for a while.

2011 has to be a HR. I'm assuming here that Odio will eventually have a Tyler Roche type role on this team (fundamentally sound, good shooter and seems a little more athletic than Roche) and I wouldn't sleep on Clifford, he has legit height for a center and my guess is that this next year, some big time programs start poking around seeing if he'll decommit. Big men improve a little later than most remeber. I think Clifford eventually ends up as a 3/4* player when they revise the projections before he becomes a frosh. So as long as these guys are the projected 7/8 men off the bench that's fine.

Steve D needs to start picking up some legit prospects (I.E. starters), and frankly some athletes would be nice. The first two guys don't overwhelm you with athleticism (i.e. slow white guys).
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 26, 2010 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He gets a pass on 2010, though he could use a couple of bodies. I assume that the 11 number is reduced by the Rubin signing.

I wouldn't give him a pass for 2010. He absolutely needed to keep Noreen and he fell right down on that task. I am fine with the crew of Wojo's he's ammassed thus far for 2011. There's plenty of time and plenty of scholarships to get at least three top level recruits.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 26, 2010 12:56 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BUNCH OF FUCKING WHINING PUSSY TWATS!

The guy has probably not moved yet, and those 2 guys who bailed, fuck them and the last 5 years of the Al Skinner Fat Elvis Resort Camp atmosphere...

Take a time out juveniles.......until February 2011 and see what he does with recruiting then and if we make the top 68 with the guys we got hustling, diving and working out...

Would you rather have TOBlunders0-13 and Nemo back and MIA Elvis recruiting from Yawkey bunker? Maybe these guys were thinking about bailing anyway or did not like the Stevie D routine and workout schedules?

To each his own...these guys were good, but they were not instant program changers yet or UNC level All Americans.

Until then...including when Rakim Sanders lights up the pussieleague for 35 a night like Marques Haynes...

ENJOY!

Have you been paying attention to what's been going on?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 12:59 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't give him a pass for 2010. He absolutely needed to keep Noreen and he fell right down on that task. I am fine with the crew of Wojo's he's ammassed thus far for 2011. There's plenty of time and plenty of scholarships to get at least three top level recruits.

You do have to realize in coaching/recruiting, that sometimes, a player simply doesn't want to play for you. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. He flew out to Minnesota to visit with Noreen and tried to do his best to keep him committed, but Noreen just wasn't interested.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:01 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU BUNCH OF FUCKING WHINING PUSSY TWATS!

ENJOY!

Have you been paying attention to what's been going on?

I'd assume no, even though I actually agree with a couple of points in here away from the other garbage. Though to be honest, I'll back just about anyone leading this program not named Al Skinner, so if this ship is going down I'm going down with it...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

You do have to realize in coaching/recruiting, that sometimes, a player simply doesn't want to play for you. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. He flew out to Minnesota to visit with Noreen and tried to do his best to keep him committed, but Noreen just wasn't interested.

You do relaize that the kid had already committed and all he needed to do was reassure him that things would be just fine with the new coaching staff? He fell down on this one, there's no way around that.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

You do relaize that the kid had already committed and all he needed to do was reassure him that things would be just fine with the new coaching staff? He fell down on this one, there's no way around that.

I'm not sure you can just assume it went down like that. Seems way over-simplified to me, especially when some of these bigger name schools started trying to poach him.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:10 pm

I haven't heard anyone mention the obvious obstacle that he has to overcome with regard to ACC recruitment. No one on his staff has any NBA connection... which is integral to the recruitment of marquee players. High-major, D1 basketball players ALL (delusional or not) want to make it to the next level and generally make decisions accordingly. If the head coach doesn't have said connections... then he usually hires someone who has that pedigree.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 26, 2010 1:24 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:I haven't heard anyone mention the obvious obstacle that he has to overcome with regard to ACC recruitment. No one on his staff has any NBA connection... which is integral to the recruitment of marquee players. High-major, D1 basketball players ALL (delusional or not) want to make it to the next level and generally make decisions accordingly. If the head coach doesn't have said connections... then he usually hires someone who has that pedigree.

Other than Jones, none of the assistants have any sort of pedigree which includes a high major... let alone the NBA.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:47 pm

1) Clifford was being recruited by people
2) We are recruiting bigger name guys, these first few fliers have been only numbers based. It isn't that SD is just ignoring anybody that major programs have interest in.
3) There is still cause for concern, but the sky isn't falling people. Chill the fuck out.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 26, 2010 1:51 pm

also Rubin was an 85 on ESPN, so obviously not what we should be shooting for, but I believe a guy like Dallas Elmore was a 78 so not horrible.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:00 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}: well, this is why bc is worse than other division ii schools (located in rhode island), right carolina?

Why, pray tell, is this directed to me?
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:01 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:also Rubin was an 85 on ESPN, so obviously not what we should be shooting for, but I believe a guy like Dallas Elmore was a 78 so not horrible.

Elmore was a whopping 73 on ESPN actually. Also, guys I went to check who was rated where in our 2009 recruiting class but there were no names in there...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:08 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}: well, this is why bc is worse than other division ii schools (located in rhode island), right carolina?

Why, pray tell, is this directed to me?

because you know everything and everyone - therefore i appreciate your input

:lame
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Wed May 26, 2010 2:16 pm

TRE,

Forgive carolina, as she's just a little perturbed that Duke has surpassed UNC as the pre-eminent program in the ACC.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed May 26, 2010 2:25 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:for those long time posters... i have elevated carolina2010 to "thebowl"/"domer44" status

Wow. Congrats to carolina2010
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 pm

:chewbanka
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:27 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:TRE,

Forgive carolina, as she's just a little perturbed that Duke has surpassed UNC as the pre-eminent program in the ACC.

unless it happened 5 years ago, she hasn't realized it yet

for those long time posters... i have elevated carolina2010 to "thebowl"/"domer44" status

It's okay Carolina 2010, I'd root for WVU, UConn or Notre Dame before I'd ever root for Duke. Duke is the only program in the country that I'd consider physical violence against their fans ok and acceptable.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

for those long time posters... i have elevated carolina2010 to "thebowl"/"domer44" status

It's okay Carolina 2010, I'd root for WVU, UConn or Notre Dame before I'd ever root for Duke. Duke is the only program in the country that I'd consider physical violence against their fans ok and acceptable.

you're barking up the wrong bush, omar. she went to school at oklahoma, married a bc hoops player and knows everything about college basketball and bc due to the fact that jerry york once told her to get out of his parking spot

Calvin Sampson connection?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:43 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

you're barking up the wrong bush, omar. she went to school at oklahoma, married a bc hoops player and knows everything about college basketball and bc due to the fact that jerry york once told her to get out of his parking spot

Who is Calvin Sampson? Sounds like a conflicted member of the Reformation.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 26, 2010 2:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Who is Calvin Sampson? Sounds like a conflicted member of the Reformation.

Kelvin Sampson...my apologies on that one.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed May 26, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm not really that worried right now hes only been here about a month and a half. The best way to scout talent is going to be this summer during AAU so hopefully hes going to be making alot of trips out to those games.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum