Anyone going to today's press conference?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Anyone going to today's press conference?

Postby HJS on Wed May 19, 2010 10:14 am

Can't wait to see who Cap is announcing will be in this class. I mean, since Rice has kept the RU class largely in tact and actually beaten us out for Poole. And, since Bdzelik was able to keep his entire class in tact at Wake. And, since Cap ran-off 2 of the 3 Skinner recruits. And, since literally ANYONE is a better recruiter than Skinner. I am assuming that today is the day that we hear that he re-affirmed Noreen and landed 2 others. Now that we have someone not named Skinner, immediate improvement in recruiting and during next year's NCAA Tourney is a foregone conlusion.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Anyone going to today's press conference?

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 19, 2010 10:29 am

You're a fool. Not even going to dignify this ridiculousness with a long response. And Al Skinner is still an awful coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hopefully he found someone to replace chris crane. NO ONE could POSSIBLY be worse than chris crane

Mods could we move that comment to the football board...thanks :pepper2
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed May 19, 2010 10:58 am

Why don't you just drop the pretense and root for Rutgers openly. It's the worst-kept secret since Ricky Martin's sexuality.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed May 19, 2010 11:03 am

I'm going to the press conference.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed May 19, 2010 11:13 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:I'm going to the press conference.

cap's press conference?

Yup. I'll be wearing a hat.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 11:23 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Can't wait to see who Cap is announcing will be in this class. I mean, since Rice has kept the RU class largely in tact and actually beaten us out for Poole. And, since Bdzelik was able to keep his entire class in tact at Wake. And, since Cap ran-off 2 of the 3 Skinner recruits. And, since literally ANYONE is a better recruiter than Skinner. I am assuming that today is the day that we hear that he re-affirmed Noreen and landed 2 others. Now that we have someone not named Skinner, immediate improvement in recruiting and during next year's NCAA Tourney is a foregone conlusion.

Yes, if only we could get skinner back. He did so well recruiting the last 6 years. And his in game coaching....best in America.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 am

I am not jumping on the HJS bait casting bandwagon, but the Don has been utterly underwhelming to this point. And I really liked the hire.

You have to have something to coach, Steve.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed May 19, 2010 11:49 am

I like Donahue and hope he is successful. He was the best of a crap search.

That said, he has not made this program better since taking it over. If anything, he made it significantly worse.

People had the pitchforks out this year for Skinner because he didn't take this team to the NCAAs. They had the pitchforks out for Skinner because he didn't bring in a single recruit last year. They had the pitchforks out for Skinner because he landed Noreen and 2 subpar ACC recruits. OJ had the pitchforks out for Skinner because of the color of his skin. Literally nobody could ever be worse than him, we were told.

Now, we have Capt. D and those same pitchfork weilding folk are perfectly accepting of BC not bringing in a single recruit for the second year in a row. They are perfectly fine with Capt. D missing out on Noreen (even though other programs who experienced coaching changes have been able to keep their recruits). They are perfectly fine with Capt. D signing a kid in Clifford who they would've BLASTED if Skinner landed him. They are perfectly fine with BC missing the NCAAs again next year.

Bottom line... Donahue has not improved, but weakened, the program since taking over. None of the concerns about his inability to recruit have been allayed over the last month. Things still may happen between now and the beginning of the season, but as it stands today, the concept that ANYONE would be better and NOBODY could be worse than Skinner is being seriously challenged.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

So because Al brought in nobody last year, and Gene fired Al late in the game which resulted in losing a class of recruits (which happens 90% of the time when you fire a coach at that point), it is Donahue's fault?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am not jumping on the HJS bait casting bandwagon, but the Don has been utterly underwhelming to this point. And I really liked the hire.

And what exactly would you have expected him to do up to this point? Recruiting at this point is not exactly easy considering most players were already signed prior to him taking over. And I have absolutely no problem with him running guys off if he didn't think they were quality players.

We were going to suck next year with Skinner. We are probably going to suck next year with Donahue. The 2010-20011 season is not the season on which he will or should be judged.
Last edited by Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:02 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:So because Al brought in nobody last year, and Gene fired Al late in the game which resulted in losing a class of recruits (which happens 90% of the time when you fire a coach at that point), it is Donahue's fault?

90%???? Link?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:03 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I am not jumping on the HJS bait casting bandwagon, but the Don has been utterly underwhelming to this point. And I really liked the hire.

And what exactly would you have expected him to do up to this point? Recruiting at this point is not exactly easy considering most players were already signed prior to him taking over. And I have absolutely no problem with him running guys off if he didn't think they were quality players.

So you are prepared to endure four maybe five years of sub .500 ball? Ever to Excel, OJ.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed May 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Brady Heslip picks a top three
Utah State, Miami and Boise State.

As of now, Brady Heslip told Aggieville, those are the top three schools on his radar with Tulsa, Fairfield and Northeastern the other schools vying for the sharp shooting combination guard.

Yep, I am going to miss Brady.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

So you are prepared to endure four maybe five years of sub .500 ball? Ever to Excel, OJ.

4 -5 years? Not sure where that came from. Out of your ass, maybe. Ever to misrepresent, Cadillac.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

4 -5 years? Ever to misrepresent, Cadillac.

When do you expect them to get any better and make the tournament? Next year? Year two, three? How do you expect them to get better?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't understand what you are so shocked about HJS. We knew this was going to happen when the coaching change occurred. We determined it was worth cutting short term mediocrity for a chance at long run success.

Who exactly did you want him to sign? Most players were signed by the time he came on. If he didn't see anybody worth signing, then I am glad he didn't.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 19, 2010 12:20 pm

We were going to suck under Skinner next year??? Really??? I thought that the "missing the NCAAs with this talent is unacceptable" group were convinced that making a change this year meant we would automatically be going to the NCAA's next. That was the narrative, at least, before Capt. D started running off all the talent.

BTW.. it is not Donahue's fault that Skinner didn't recruit anyone last year but it is certainly his fault if we don't bring in anyone of quality this year. And enough of the "coaching changes always mean recruits leave" garbage. We already have Wake and Rutgers proving otherwise. Speaking of Rutgers, doesn't it give you the slightest bit of pause that Donahue wasn't able to land Poole? I mean, Poole was landed by a guy GDF deemed not even worthy of an interview, someone who wasn't hired until WEEKS after D took the reigns and to a program that is unquestionably the worst in the Big East.

Again... I really hope Donahue knows what he is doing. But, he has no honeymoon period. It is something he said when he took over. He has to win right away and recruit right away and his lot will be cast within the first 12 months on the job. He knew that when he accepted the gig and he knows it today. That said... he ain't been getting it done. Here's hoping the next 11-months are profoundly better than his first.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed May 19, 2010 12:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Who exactly did you want him to sign?

Noreen at a freaking bare minimum.
I also wanted him to sign any of the others he offered like Brust and Poole. When we are losing out on late kids that D offered who are choosing crap programs who have been recruiting them for LESS time than us... there is a problem.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 12:49 pm

no use responding to HJS, there is no way he can actually believe what he is typing....he's just doing it to be an ass. If he actually does believe it, he's not only an ass, but remarkably stupid too.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed May 19, 2010 1:12 pm

Can we let the Captain coach a few games before throwing him under the bus? But, I agree with HJS that not keeping Noreen is a big setback. Supposedly, there is another 2011 commit today. I'd also expect a few transfers so I'm pretty sure that BC will have at least 5 players before the 2011 season starts.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 1:28 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Can we let the Captain coach a few games before throwing him under the bus? But, I agree with HJS that not keeping Noreen is a big setback. Supposedly, there is another 2011 commit today. I'd also expect a few transfers so I'm pretty sure that BC will have at least 5 players before the 2011 season starts.

Noreen isn't even lost cause yet, is he?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:45 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:We were going to suck under Skinner next year??? Really??? I thought that the "missing the NCAAs with this talent is unacceptable" group were convinced that making a change this year meant we would automatically be going to the NCAA's next. That was the narrative, at least, before Capt. D started running off all the talent.

BTW.. it is not Donahue's fault that Skinner didn't recruit anyone last year but it is certainly his fault if we don't bring in anyone of quality this year. And enough of the "coaching changes always mean recruits leave" garbage. We already have Wake and Rutgers proving otherwise. Speaking of Rutgers, doesn't it give you the slightest bit of pause that Donahue wasn't able to land Poole? I mean, Poole was landed by a guy GDF deemed not even worthy of an interview, someone who wasn't hired until WEEKS after D took the reigns and to a program that is unquestionably the worst in the Big East.

Again... I really hope Donahue knows what he is doing. But, he has no honeymoon period. It is something he said when he took over. He has to win right away and recruit right away and his lot will be cast within the first 12 months on the job. He knew that when he accepted the gig and he knows it today. That said... he ain't been getting it done. Here's hoping the next 11-months are profoundly better than his first.

Everyone was already committed to schools before Donahue even took over. Missing the NCAA's with that team was a crime by Skinner especially in a down ACC.

Also, why don't we wait and see how this season goes before chucking Donahue under the bus?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 2:48 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:We were going to suck under Skinner next year??? Really??? I thought that the "missing the NCAAs with this talent is unacceptable" group were convinced that making a change this year meant we would automatically be going to the NCAA's next. That was the narrative, at least, before Capt. D started running off all the talent.

Everyone was already committed to schools before Donahue even took over. Missing the NCAA's with that team was a crime by Skinner especially in a down ACC.

Also, why don't we wait and see how this season goes before chucking Donahue under the bus?

like I said before - don't even bother....its a waste of time.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:53 pm

I agree with HJS. This this idea that all LOIs run away when a new coach is hired is just wrong. Wake kept a top 10 recruiting class with a horrible hire. And the idea that the Don wanted to run off all of Skinners recruits is belied by how hard he tried to keep Noreen, who would love to go to UNC but can't.

You can blow off the whole incoming class if you have something lined with which to replace them, or if the program is deep with underclassmen such that you can skip a year. BC is neither. The new coach needed to hit the ground running and either keep the recruits already signed, or decide that they weren't as good as others and replace them.

If Steve D has decided that there is not much left and that he not bringing in any 2010s or transfers, instead pulling 6 or 7 or 8 2011s (starting with the underwhelming project Clifford and this kid from Miami), then he will be fired in 3 years. Because this team will suck.

If he lands Starring and somehow keeps Noreen, and then goes out and get a quality player to replace Papa in the paint for this season, then he might be on to something, and Clifford could be a nice piece in the puzzle down the road.

3 scholarship athletes in 2011. Unless he plans on getting blue chippers in his first recruiting class, of which I have seen no sign as of yet, BC is going to suck in his 2-4 season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:54 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so how many years grace period does he get, oj?

He hasn't even coached a game yet. Give him 3 years. I'd be willing to bet we win more than 15 games this season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:55 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He hasn't even coached a game yet. Give him 3 years. I'd be willing to bet we win more than 15 games this season.

No one is worried about this season. We know he can coach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed May 19, 2010 2:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree with HJS.

shocker.

He hasn't coached a game yet and the Program is FUCKED for 4 years. What a shitty hire.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No one is worried about this season. We know he can coach.

I agree we need some elite talent. Although true, Odio and Clifford seem to fit what Donahue wants to do (athletic shooter and big man who can pass). To be honest, every team needs a few awkward white guys anyway.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 19, 2010 2:59 pm

I would say the 2012 class is the deciding factor for his recruiting ability for 2 reasons. First, New England has a ton of good players, and 2) he will start to recruit at a high level for 2011 and then 2012 will be him building off what he has done. Just as this years class is Spaz's judgement.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum