Anyone going to today's press conference?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Anyone going to today's press conference?

Postby apbc12 on Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:To address the concerns here:

TWB is right that Noreen, Starring and one other guy would be a good get, but Steve D has already been out to Minnesota to visit Noreen and tried to get him back here and kicked the tires of Starring. Unfortunately, the timing of the hired sucked and really screwed over his chances at a 2010 class.

Then he probably shouldn't have encouraged several returning players to transfer. I certainly support a guy wanting to put his stamp on the program and get rid of dead weight, but it wasn't like he ran off the walk-ons. We're down two probable starters and a shooter who would've seen time. Players shouldn't be forced out if there are no replacements waiting.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed May 19, 2010 9:18 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Then he probably shouldn't have encouraged several returning players to transfer. I certainly support a guy wanting to put his stamp on the program and get rid of dead weight, but it wasn't like he ran off the walk-ons. We're down two probable starters and a shooter who would've seen time. Players shouldn't be forced out if there are no replacements waiting.

I don't know much about how recruiting works but does the May 19th date really mean anything for transfers? I'm concerned i guess, but i don't really get how the LOI shit works.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed May 19, 2010 9:34 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Then he probably shouldn't have encouraged several returning players to transfer. I certainly support a guy wanting to put his stamp on the program and get rid of dead weight, but it wasn't like he ran off the walk-ons. We're down two probable starters and a shooter who would've seen time. Players shouldn't be forced out if there are no replacements waiting.

I don't know much about how recruiting works but does the May 19th date really mean anything for transfers? I'm concerned i guess, but i don't really get how the LOI shit works.

I don't have a clue. I just get tired of hearing from the same people over and over that we're better no matter what because Skinner and his shitty recruits are gone. So far, we've lost Sanders, Ravenel, Noreen, Ndao, and Heslip. The first four have been replaced by _____________, and we're apparently left to hope that Heslip will be replaced by Starring. The same people then laugh and say "Heslip's going to Boise State, haha what a huge loss!" but hope that we fill his spot with a guy from Centenary, and don't mind that our two 2011 guys (so far) also had offers from mid- and low-majors. The cognitive dissonance is staggering.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 19, 2010 11:02 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I don't have a clue. I just get tired of hearing from the same people over and over that we're better no matter what because Skinner and his shitty recruits are gone. So far, we've lost Sanders, Ravenel, Noreen, Ndao, and Heslip. The first four have been replaced by _____________, and we're apparently left to hope that Heslip will be replaced by Starring. The same people then laugh and say "Heslip's going to Boise State, haha what a huge loss!" but hope that we fill his spot with a guy from Centenary, and don't mind that our two 2011 guys (so far) also had offers from mid- and low-majors. The cognitive dissonance is staggering.

Amen. I am excited about what the Don could do with talent. I am worried that we will never find out because he will never have any.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Thu May 20, 2010 6:21 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

According to this link, it really means nothing other than any commitment after the signing period is non-binding and other schools could continue to recruit a prospect that "commits" after the signing period. A prospect who has signed the NLI can not be contacted by other schools.

http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blogs/iwbs_sports_blog/archive/2009/04/15/college-basketball-s-spring-signing-period-is-upon-us.aspx
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu May 20, 2010 7:19 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

What do you expect from Hoops Weirdos? :chewbanka
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 20, 2010 10:18 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
joemack13 {l Wrote}:I'm more concerned about how he gets the current team to perform in the upcoming season, and what that will result in for recruiting 2011 & beyond. We all knew 2011 would be a train wreck... Donahue has to compete in the ACC this year and 2012, 2011 is a write-off he just needs to take a TOB stage-fighting class.

I still have high hopes for donahue - and will probably try to hold off on making any judgments until the second half of the 2011 season

If he has to take 8, 9 bodies for 2011 and they are a train wreck, that fucks up recruiting for 4 years. There will be few scholarships to give out over that time. You are stuck with the 8-9 guys he gets, who won't graduate and free up schollies until 2015.

If he fucks up the 2011 class, he won't be here to see them graduate.

This is exactly my opinion. I don't care if he takes a couple reaches to fill up the 2010 roster. The bottom line is that right now we have 7 scholarship players for 2010 and 3 of them fucking suck. So 2010 is basically going to be a wasted year. And then in 2011, we're going to have Reggie Jackson, Elmore, and a bunch of frosh/transfers. It's a huge stretch to expect anything from this program over the next 3 years given the current landscape.

2010 isn't going to be a wasted year. There are enough decent players on this team to be middle of the pack in a down ACC. I realize we should be shooting for better, but we're not going to finish 12th in the conference or anything.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 20, 2010 10:21 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Sanders did more harm than good last season and no one can disagree with that. Ravenel showed some potential, but again didn't contribute a whole lot. Noreen hurts I agree. Ndao was a project and Heslip was fine, but can be easily replaced by Starring. Outside of Noreen, I just don't understand how much we really "lost". We also replaced an average to poor coach with a very good coach, which is worth something. We just need to exercise some patience here with the 2011 class so I totally disagree.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu May 20, 2010 11:24 am

I never thought the topic of the Don would be so divisive so early. Leave it to some hypocrites and early complainers to find a way to make it happen for the sake of the board's health.

This thread absolutely needs to keep going until at least October, though.

:popcorn

Allow me to help...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu May 20, 2010 12:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Sanders did more harm than good last season and no one can disagree with that. Ravenel showed some potential, but again didn't contribute a whole lot. Noreen hurts I agree. Ndao was a project and Heslip was fine, but can be easily replaced by Starring. Outside of Noreen, I just don't understand how much we really "lost". We also replaced an average to poor coach with a very good coach, which is worth something. We just need to exercise some patience here with the 2011 class so I totally disagree.

If we replaced an average to poor coach with a very good coach, it stands to reason some of our former players might have had better seasons, yes? Are we better off with literally nothing than with a few players who showed potential but not full realization?

I'm not concerned with 2011 yet; I just felt the need to highlight the logical disconnect on display.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 20, 2010 12:52 pm

Just asking here: Why is it a commonly held belief that Donahue kicked kids to the curb? Is there actual evidence of this (other than some poster's word), because when I asked a person I know who has a connection to the basketball team (obviously I'm not going to reveal who it is and you don't have to believe a word I say) he said he hadn't heard that this was the case.

And with regards to Ravanel, I don't believe he was kicked off the team (or asked to leave). This may be BREAKING NEWS on any chat board, but he's going to tOSU and had left a couple of weeks ago, so given the landing spot I'm not sure this was the case.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu May 20, 2010 1:04 pm

People want to believe that they were run off, because otherwise it is further proof that D has trouble recruiting as he failed to keep kids he wanted who were ALREADY ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM. In my opinion, he ran off Heslip and Papa and Sanders and failed to keep Noreen and Ravenal. Since he didn't replace the 3 he ran off or the 2 he whiffed on, it is ultimately failures all around.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:People want to believe that they were run off, because otherwise it is further proof that D has trouble recruiting as he failed to keep kids he wanted who were ALREADY ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM. In my opinion, he ran off Heslip and Papa and Sanders and failed to keep Noreen and Ravenal. Since he didn't replace the 3 he ran off or the 2 he whiffed on, it is ultimately failures all around.

So there's no proof he ran off players.

I'll take it you do know that pretty much all players in today's era commit to a coach not a school.

And it's not a blemish on Don's record IMO that he couldn't lure in a big fish this year. So many players were already committed to various schools. If he doesn't pull in big fish next year, then I will have a problem.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu May 20, 2010 1:12 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:People want to believe that they were run off, because otherwise it is further proof that D has trouble recruiting as he failed to keep kids he wanted who were ALREADY ENROLLED IN THE PROGRAM. In my opinion, he ran off Heslip and Papa and Sanders and failed to keep Noreen and Ravenal. Since he didn't replace the 3 he ran off or the 2 he whiffed on, it is ultimately failures all around.

I'll take it you do know that pretty much all players in today's era commit to a coach not a school.

And it's not a blemish on Don's record IMO that he couldn't lure in a big fish this year. So many players were already committed to various schools. If he doesn't pull in big fish next year, then I will have a problem.

I have the same concern. There's no factual evidence that he ran off players, pure speculation.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 20, 2010 2:02 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

So Wake's Top-5 recruiting class is going to follow Gaudio right? No way they stay committed to Wake?

The cliche that players commit to a coach is largely bullshit at BC's level. John Calipari, yes. Al Skinner or Ivy Guy? Not so much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 20, 2010 2:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

So Wake's Top-5 recruiting class is going to follow Gaudio right? No way they stay committed to Wake?

The cliche that players commit to a coach is largely bullshit at BC's level. John Calipari, yes. Al Skinner or Ivy Guy? Not so much.

Does anybody have proof Donahue ran off any of the players who left?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu May 20, 2010 2:11 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

The reports surrounding Heslip and Sanders cited "mutual Agreement"....sounds like he ran them off to me.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

The reports surrounding Heslip and Sanders cited "mutual Agreement"....sounds like he ran them off to me.

Or it could have been:

Rakim: I don't want to play here if I can't play under Al Skinner.
Donahue: Well, think it over, you know I won't force you to stay if you really don't want to.

Two days pass:

Rakim: Yeah, I've decided I will sacrifice another year of cheesesteaks for playing under one of the guys who recruited me, Cooley
Donahue: Okay, good luck in your future endeavors.
Rakim: What does endeavors mean?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Thu May 20, 2010 2:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:So Wake's Top-5 recruiting class is going to follow Gaudio right? No way they stay committed to Wake?

Excellent point!
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu May 20, 2010 2:35 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Or it could have been:

Donahue: Well, think it over, you know I won't force you to stay if you really don't want to.

Two days pass:

Rakim: Yeah, I've decided I will sacrifice another year of cheesesteaks for playing under one of the guys who recruited me, Cooley

Good point. It's foolish to infer from "mutual agreement" that Donahue ran him off when you have an entirely imaginary scenario that says otherwise.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu May 20, 2010 3:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Or it could have been:

Two days pass:

Rakim: What does in mean?

fixed.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu May 20, 2010 3:10 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Or it could have been:

Two days pass:

Good point. It's foolish to infer from "mutual agreement" that Donahue ran him off when you have an entirely imaginary scenario that says otherwise.

But it's not foolish to claim something happened when you have absolutely no evidence to justify it?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri May 21, 2010 12:02 pm

At least HJS got a conversation started. He's good at that.

I'm a little concerned, but let's watch the guy coach some games first. At least all of the patriotic BC fans will be happy to have a coach who does not disrespect his country during the national anthem.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:At least HJS got a conversation started. He's good at that.

I'm a little concerned, but let's watch the guy coach some games first. At least all of the patriotic BC fans will be happy to have a coach who does not disrespect his country during the national anthem.

Care to share where the disrespect comment is coming from? I remember watching Skinner just standing there during the anthem.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri May 21, 2010 1:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:At least HJS got a conversation started. He's good at that.

Care to share where the disrespect comment is coming from? I remember watching Skinner just standing there during the anthem.

Nothing major, he would just walk to the end and look down. I think it stems from racial tensions back when he was a player. Supposedly, some blacks in attendance would not stand during the national anthem. But just for the record, his actions did not bother me. I don't care. I'm not a nationalist.

Here's some UMass discussion about the 70s
http://umasshoops.com/board/viewtopic.p ... f714143a05
Last edited by MilitantEagle on Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri May 21, 2010 1:32 pm

Skinner always did that...but I never thought of it as disrespectful, a lot of players look down and whatnot during the anthem. That said, it may have been a form of disrespect given the story you just stated.

Bottom line is I don't think it's a big deal.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri May 21, 2010 2:39 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Nothing major, he would just walk to the end and look down. I think it stems from racial tensions back when he was a player. Supposedly, the black players did not stand during the national anthem. But just for the record, his actions did not bother me. I don't care. I'm not a nationalist.

Here's some UMass discussion about the 70s
http://umasshoops.com/board/viewtopic.p ... f714143a05

I never thought of Skinner disrespecting the anthem when he was doing that either. Although true, I would probably care if that's what he was going for...too hard to tell without actually asking him the question.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat May 22, 2010 7:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think we can all stop talking about Starring. Apparently, according to TOS, CapD lost out on him to Cal Irvine. That's right, an ACC program couldn't beat out the goddamn Anteaters. Well, I'm sure timing really effected the decision here. Stevie D was only on the job 3 days more than Turner (UCI's new head coach hired on 4/9/10). Ultimately, this decision may have come down to where Starring felt most comfortable molesting other boys.

Damn... really wish BC could've found a head coach who was at least half as good of a recruiter as Al was.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat May 22, 2010 8:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think we can all stop talking about Starring. Apparently, according to TOS, CapD lost out on him to Cal Irvine. That's right, an ACC program couldn't beat out the goddamn Anteaters. Well, I'm sure timing really effected the decision here. Stevie D was only on the job 3 days more than Turner (UCI's new head coach hired on 4/9/10). Ultimately, this decision may have come down to where Starring felt most comfortable molesting other boys.

Damn... really wish BC could've found a head coach who was at least half as good of a recruiter as Al was.

Did you consider that he may not have qualified for BC, or that the character issues were still there? Before you go shitting your pants, you should probably wait for the whole story.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Starring would have been helpful...but it's not like he was going to lead us to the Final Four or anything next year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum