Greatest NBA player ever?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Greatest NBA player ever?

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:37 pm

You may answer this lame off-season thread seriously or not seriously. I don't care.

Wilt Chamberlain - Greatest combo of scoring and rebounding ever. He could dish it too.
-100 points in one game.
-Averaged 50.4 ppg and 25.7 rebounds per game one year, playing 80 games.
-Career averages: 30 ppg- 22 rpg -4 ast

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... bwi01.html

Scroll down to the "Per Game" section and prepare to get your jaw of the floor.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: Greatest NBA player ever?

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:40 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:You may answer this lame off-season thread seriously or not seriously. I don't care.

Wilt Chamberlain - Greatest combo of scoring and rebounding ever. He could dish it too.
-100 points in one game.

Then why did he always fail to win?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 pm

There's only one acceptable serious answer to this question, and it sure as shit isn't Wilt Chamberlain.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:41 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:You may answer this lame off-season thread seriously or not seriously. I don't care.

-100 points in one game.

He's a 2 time NBA champion...
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri May 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Level. Of. Competition.

Is Kevin Noreen the best high school player in America?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 14, 2010 3:47 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

-100 points in one game.

What about all the other years? You'd think that with the HOF teammates he had, he would have been able to win more, no?

Also, if he was so great, why did he keep getting traded?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri May 14, 2010 3:48 pm

hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 4:10 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Level. Of. Competition.

Players like Jerry West and Oscar Robertson were playing at the same time as Wilt.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 4:11 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

-100 points in one game.

What about all the other years? You'd think that with the HOF teammates he had, he would have been able to win more, no?

If you're trying to sway my opinion with questions, nice try. If you disagree with me, quit being condescending and state a different player and why. I'm guessing it's MJ. I apologize if my opinion offends you or if its a little out-of-the-box.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 14, 2010 4:45 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Level. Of. Competition.

Players like Jerry West and Oscar Robertson were playing at the same time as Wilt.

Congratulations you mentioned two other good players. I'll add Russell, Cousy, and the Jones brothers for arguments sake. Regardless, your point still stands flat. Chamberlain was basically bigger than everyone else on top of being fairly athletic, which was more than most big men could say in that day. My guess is that if he played today he'd still have a good career but the NBA has a lot more tall, athletic big men that could neutralize him like, oh, I don't know, Bill Russell maybe, basically another first of his kind. Wilt put up a ton of collecting stats but he often did it at the expense of his teammates, which is why he never won.

It's Jordan hands down. Guy could score at will during an area when you could basically club a guy and not get called. With the restrictions on defense place nowadays, Jordan would be putting up surreal numbers.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 14, 2010 4:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

-100 points in one game.

If you're trying to sway my opinion with questions, nice try. If you disagree with me, quit being condescending and state a different player and why. I'm guessing it's MJ. I apologize if my opinion offends you or if its a little out-of-the-box.

First, your opinion does not offend me. Second, Wilt as the greatest of all time is not out-of-the-box, particularly if your basing your opinion on stats alone. I'm sorry if I condescended.

What I'm saying is that it's tough to justify a player as GOAT when 1) he routinely was shut in the playoffs in the second half by an opposing center and 2) he was traded twice. If you're gonna make the argument, you should address these points.

I would argue MJ then Russell. I have Russell ahead of Wilt because, while his numbers are inferior, it's tough to overlook the fact that he so consistently dominated Wilt in the playoffs. That's the name of the game. Being traded in the prime of a career is a big deal to me, unless there is some sort of explanation. After those, I would bunch together Magic, Larry, and Kareem. Kareem played on multiple teams, but the number of rings (more than Wilt) gives him the edge. Plus, there were more teams and better opposition in his era. In fact, he was great in multiple eras. I would put Wilt right after those guys. After him, there's a drop off, and I'd follow him with guys like Jerry West, Oscar, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe, Elgin, Moses, etc.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 5:05 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

-100 points in one game.

First, your opinion does not offend me. Second, Wilt as the greatest of all time is not out-of-the-box, particularly if your basing your opinion on stats alone. I'm sorry if I condescended.

What I'm saying is that it's tough to justify a player as GOAT when 1) he routinely was shut in the playoffs in the second half by an opposing center and 2) he was traded twice. If you're gonna make the argument, you should address these points.

I would argue MJ then Russell. I have Russell ahead of Wilt because, while his numbers are inferior, it's tough to overlook the fact that he so consistently dominated Wilt in the playoffs. That's the name of the game. Being traded in the prime of a career is a big deal to me, unless there is some sort of explanation. After those, I would bunch together Magic, Larry, and Kareem. Kareem played on multiple teams, but the number of rings (more than Wilt) gives him the edge. Plus, there were more teams and better opposition in his era. In fact, he was great in multiple eras. I would put Wilt right after those guys. After him, there's a drop off, and I'd follow him with guys like Jerry West, Oscar, Hakeem, Duncan, Kobe, Elgin, Moses, etc.

Good point. You could put Russell ahead of Wilt, that's not out of the box either. I can't argue that MJ is one of the top 3 players ever, but I still believe Wilt is #1.

Flyelvii-- I'm not going to sit here all afternoon and name good players from 1959-1973. I gave you two examples. You could argue that Wilt was playing against lesser competition, and I agree to an extent. But still, having good size isn't a handi-cap. Wilt had, in my opinion, the greatest combination of talent and numbers ever. To all who are offended, I'm sorry.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Fri May 14, 2010 5:16 pm

25, I agree with you on one thing. I wouldn't hold the era in which a player played against him. There's no question that Wilt dominated; the fact that everyone was a few inches smaller than they are now is irrelevant.

However, if a player is great in an era in which there are lots of other great teams, it's certainly a feather in the cap. For example, there were more great players in the 80s than there were in the 70s, which Bill Simmons refers to as the Coke-era, and that's undeniable. LA, Boston, Detroit, Portland and even Philly and Chicago were tremendous teams at times in the 80s. Larry and Magic were both unconventional in their own ways, but the fact that each could dominate and deliver 3+ championships is significant, particularly compared to Wilt, who only won 2 in an era with fewer teams and fewer great teams.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri May 14, 2010 5:37 pm

Wilt was the Dwight Howard of the 1960s.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 14, 2010 5:48 pm

1. Jordan

2. Russell

3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Robertson

6. Wilt
7. West
8. Baylor
9. Cousy
10. Olajuwon

11. Shaq
12. Stockton
13. Thomas
14. Barkley
15. Hondo
16. Kobe
17. Garnett

18. Dr. J
19. Maravich
20. Duncan
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Fri May 14, 2010 5:54 pm

I would post a list, but teddy is so close to my opinion you should just look at his. I would move Duncan up a few slots, and Stockton down a few, but that's all down a bit anyways.

"Who's the second best player in NBA history?" is at least an argument.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri May 14, 2010 6:00 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I would post a list, but teddy is so close to my opinion you should just look at his. I would move Duncan up a few slots, and Stockton down a few, but that's all down a bit anyways.

"Who's the second best player in NBA history?" is at least an argument.

Yeah, you could swap Duncan and Garnett, but I wanted to stay consistent with the other thread. Stockton made not only himself a HOFer, but another guy, with limited skills (Malone) and he was singlehandedly responsible for making Jeff Hornacek a millionaire.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 6:22 pm

Better question -- Am I the only one who believes somebody outside of Michael Jordan is the greatest player ever?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 6:25 pm

I think Elgin Baylor is a pretty interesting player too. You could easily sneak him into the Top 5. He was 6'3 or something like that and he had one season where he averaged somewhere in the high-thirties in points and 20 rebounds. Not sure if he ever won a championship.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri May 14, 2010 6:35 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Better question -- Am I the only one who believes somebody outside of Michael Jordan is the greatest player ever?

Nah, I think it's you and Wilt.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri May 14, 2010 6:39 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Better question -- Am I the only one who believes somebody outside of Michael Jordan is the greatest player ever?

And the 10,000 women he slept with?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 15, 2010 12:23 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

And the 10,000 women he slept with?

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcmurph on Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:1. Jordan

2. Russell

3. Magic
4. Bird
5. Robertson

6. Wilt
7. West
8. Baylor
9. Cousy
10. Olajuwon

11. Shaq
12. Stockton
13. Thomas
14. Barkley
15. Hondo
16. Kobe
17. Garnett

18. Dr. J
19. Maravich
20. Duncan

I think this is a good list...Always a tough thing to do...No love for Kareem? Not sure they'd make top 20, but I'd throw Clyde Frazier, DJ, TIny Archibald out there...And of Course...

"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat May 15, 2010 8:34 am

7. West ---1
-- -Played versus superb Celtic teams that were 3+ players deeper.
6. Wilt -- 2 -- If not for West..The LOGO --all around player and leader.
1. Jordan -- 5 -- NBA was diluted.
2. Russell -- 3 -- Could not score like Wilt and Wilt played defense too, but with bad ballclubs and midgets.
5. Robertson -- 4 -- Triple Double Nightly when it was never called that.
3. Magic -- 6 -- Had great supporting players and Kareem--where in Lew Alcindor?
***KAREE< ABDUL JABBAR*** -- 7TH SLOT
16. Kobe -- 8 -- Will go higher in 4 years.
18. Dr. J -- 9 --- Bad teams too..
4. Bird --- 10 -- Not a great defender.

15. Hondo -- 11 --Most underrated player in NBA history.
8. Baylor --- 14 --- Not much of defender

Insert>>>>>BELOW NAMES>>

9. Cousy --15 --- he had the team
10. Olajuwon -- 12 --Warrior 2 titles on his back
11. Shaq -- 13 -- No Kobe and great teams -- he was no Russell.
12. Stockton -- 18 --Solid career.
13. Thomas -- 14 -- Solid 2 titles but an asshole.
14. Barkley --20 ---no defense
17. Garnett -- 19 -- May move up.
19. Maravich --21-- Bad bad teams.
20. Duncan -- 16 -- 3 titles in like Jordan--diluted NBA.

Moses Malone...Karl Malone..Dave Bing..Rick Barry..Scottie Pippen..

[/quote]

FIXED!
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Mon May 17, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat May 15, 2010 9:04 am

THE 50 GREATEST PLAYERS IN NBA HISTORY

Here was a list--but is was missing Bernard King, the best player I ever saw being fouled and triple teams and Dennis Rodman was a rebounder and defender with 5-6 rings and Bob McAdoo?

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Nate Archibald

Paul Arizin

Charles Barkley

Rick Barry

Elgin Baylor

Dave Bing

Larry Bird

Wilt Chamberlain

Bob Cousy

Dave Cowens

Billy Cunningham

Dave DeBusschere

Clyde Drexler

Julius Erving

Patrick Ewing

Walt Frazier

George Gervin

Hal Greer

John Havlicek

Elvin Hayes

Magic Johnson

Sam Jones

Michael Jordan

Jerry Lucas

Karl Malone
Moses Malone

Pete Maravich

Kevin McHale

George Mikan

Earl Monroe

Hakeem Olajuwon

Shaquille O'Neal

Robert Parish

Bob Pettit

Scottie Pippen

Willis Reed

Oscar Robertson

David Robinson

Bill Russell

Dolph Schayes

Bill Sharman

John Stockton

Isiah Thomas

Nate Thurmond

Wes Unseld

Bill Walton

Jerry West

Lenny Wilkens

James Worthy

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 am

Let's just say, I did not forget Kareem.

Not buying the "diluted NBA" argument for shitting on current and recent players. Prior to the Pistons of the 80s, nobody on any list played any defense outside of certain guys in the paint, like Russell and Wilt. And the over all talent in the league is much better now - better athletes, and an infusion of foreign players.

There are plenty of guys mentioned that would fall in the next group, and I kind of just threw up the order (although I like it). But those are the 20 guys.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat May 15, 2010 11:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Let's just say, I did not forget Kareem.

Not buying the "diluted NBA" argument for shitting on current and recent players. Prior to the Pistons of the 80s, nobody on any list played any defense outside of certain guys in the paint, like Russell and Wilt. And the over all talent in the league is much better now - better athletes, and an infusion of foreign players.

There are plenty of guys mentioned that would fall in the next group, and I kind of just threw up the order (although I like it). But those are the 20 guys.

Different league, but the defense was there in playoff and other times, also way better shooters and man to man.

Lou Hudson is not even on that list???

I would draft Bill Russell at age 75 over some of the shit playing today.

Oscar can still pump in 20.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat May 15, 2010 12:36 pm

The league is absolutely diluted now compared to the 80s and 90s. Too many projects getting big minutes to justify their draft position, and I'd take Olajuwon or even Mutombo over the current infusion of foreign talent.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 15, 2010 2:02 pm

Jordan would have scored 90 points a game in the 50s, 60s and 70s. No one could have covered him, and no one would have bothered.

Using Bird/Magic and the ABA merger as the cutoff for modern/ancient hoop history (let's just say 1980), the league looks more diluted because there are more teams and because it requires more skill and athletic ability to score now. But the top athletes are just better. The game sucks compared to old school, but the players are for the most part just superior.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat May 15, 2010 2:04 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:The league is absolutely diluted now compared to the 80s and 90s. Too many projects getting big minutes to justify their draft position, and I'd take Olajuwon or even Mutombo over the current infusion of foreign talent.

74 would lump the 80s and 90s in with the 00s in this discussion. There is no doubt that the 80s were the height of the NBA, so no argument there. The 90s were not much better than now.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum