Skinner to Rutgers?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Skinner to Rutgers?

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:57 pm

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/eddie-jordan-pulls-out-of-rutgers-coaching-search-as-new-candidate-emerges/1

Sounds good. Coach K apparently called them on his behalf. I hope this brings historylesson back to tell us about how successful they'll be with a coach we fired. That will give me a chance to use my historylesson-themed alias.
Last edited by cvilleagle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Re: Skinner to Rutgers

Postby Eagledom on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:59 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/eddie-jordan-pulls-out-of-rutgers-coaching-search-as-new-candidate-emerges/1

Sounds good. Coach K apparently called them on his behalf. I hope this brings historylesson back to tell us about how successful they'll be with a coach we fired. That will give me a chance to use my historylesson-themed alias.

That'll be perfect for Al - they have no expectations there.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: Skinner to Rutgers?

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:11 pm

Mike K. --a best friend of Hurley---now pumps up Skinner for Rutgers????

This is one strange angle?

Maybe Mike K. owed Al a favor----------- or Rutgers is within cab fare of Hurley's School?

Ouchie.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i heard somewhere that historylesson doesn't care about rutgres basketball

Neither will Al even if he's the coach. :shake
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i heard somewhere that historylesson doesn't care about rutgres basketball

Damnit, then what am I going to do with my not-yet-approved-but-awesome alias?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Neither will Al even if he's the coach. :shake

Zing! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:04 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/04/eddie-jordan-pulls-out-of-rutgers-coaching-search-as-new-candidate-emerges/1

Rutgers must be on Duke's schedule and Coack K is looking for an automatic win.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Since Rutgers is going to the Big 10 they are looking for a coach who will bring an exiting, up tempo style of basketball...The flex would absolutely blow the Big 10 away...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

How many times has Duke blown out Al Skinner in the past couple of years? Twice? Only one win, but it seems like there were four or five BC-Duke games decided by 3 points or less.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:49 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Since Rutgers is going to the Big 10 they are looking for a coach who will bring an exiting, up tempo style of basketball...The flex would absolutely blow the Big 10 away...

skinner will thrive at rutgers....could he go to a place where they care less about hoops and losing? This is perfect for him.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 pm

4 RINGS = Duke
0 BC and zero Final Fours.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:49 am

Talon appears to be on a mission to defend every negative skinner post.
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:52 am

WilpertsRevenge {l Wrote}:Talon appears to be on a mission to defend every negative skinner post.

do you disagree with what I just said?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:04 am

talon {l Wrote}:
WilpertsRevenge {l Wrote}:Talon appears to be on a mission to defend every negative skinner post.

Yes. Coack K beat Al at least 90% of the time (including games when we were in the Big East). For a conference foe, that's pretty close to automatic. Kind of like a 90-something percent free-throw shooter.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Yes. Coack K beat Al at least 90% of the time (including games when we were in the Big East). For a conference foe, that's pretty close to automatic. Kind of like a 90-something percent free-throw shooter.

so, hypothetically, coach A and coach B play each other 20 times. Coach A wins 19 games in overtime. Coach B wins one game. Coach A thinks that Coach B is a gimmie?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:12 am

Skinner would be an improvement for the program, but if I were Rutgers I'd want someone young and hungry who will work hard to make something out of the program and fast. Sure, you may find yourself in 3-4 years with another coaching search, but you have something to build on.

Al's 57 years old. This would be his last stop. Different priorities.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:30 am

Andy Katz writes in a report for ESPNNewYork.com that Rutgers is targeting three candidates for its head coaching position: former St. John's, New Mexico and Manhattan coach (and current ESPN analyst) Fran Fraschilla, former Boston College coach Al Skinner, and current Robert Morris coach Mike Rice.

Katz reports that all three are expected to meet with Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti this week, meaning that there could be a decision made sooner rather than later.
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 am

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Andy Katz writes in a report for ESPNNewYork.com that Rutgers is targeting three candidates for its head coaching position: former St. John's, New Mexico and Manhattan coach (and current ESPN analyst) Fran Fraschilla, former Boston College coach Al Skinner, and current Robert Morris coach Mike Rice.

Katz reports that all three are expected to meet with Rutgers AD Tim Pernetti this week, meaning that there could be a decision made sooner rather than later.

Their best hire is Mike Rice. Young... from the area... has had decent success at each stop. Could be another Kevin Bannon (sans naked BB foul shooting weirdness).

Skinner is their second best choice, however, at his age is really just a right-the-ship type hire. But, RU needs its ship righted.

They will hire Fraschilla because he has the biggest name. And they'll think they are matching SJU.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:24 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

so, hypothetically, coach A and coach B play each other 20 times. Coach A wins 19 games in overtime. Coach B wins one game. Coach A thinks that Coach B is a gimmie?

No. But that's not what has happened between Duke and BC. Most have been easy victories. And also, the nature of basketball lends itself to close games as many go down to the final seconds. So even if you think a lot of the games were close, Skinner never found a way to pull them out except for one time. BC was pretty much an automatic W for Duke. Relatively speaking, of course, as we were a conference foe. We weren't automatic like a NJ technical Institute (or whatever that school is called that BC beat by 50 points).
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:46 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

No. But that's not what has happened between Duke and BC. Most have been easy victories. And also, the nature of basketball lends itself to close games as many go down to the final seconds. So even if you think a lot of the games were close, Skinner never found a way to pull them out except for one time. BC was pretty much an automatic W for Duke. Relatively speaking, of course, as we were a conference foe. We weren't automatic like a NJ technical Institute (or whatever that school is called that BC beat by 50 points).

Close games are won by good coaching at the end of the game. Coach K is a great in-game coach. Al is one of the worst in-game coaches I've ever seen, especially down the stretch in close games (maybe one good play against FSU last year where someone blew the defense assignment on Rice to give him a wide open 3). Hence all the close Duke victories.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:49 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

I had no idea BC lost so many nailbiters in OT to Duke.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

i know that you were working hard last year when we won... but don't you recall the king of the court yelling in jj's face?

Who said anything about never beating Duke? I was just commenting on the "19 OT games" that we lost.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

i know that you were working hard last year when we won... but don't you recall the king of the court yelling in jj's face?

We've been downright awful against Duke throughout the Skinner era. I'm too lazy to look up the numbers, but they'll validate that claim.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Who said anything about never beating Duke? I was just commenting on the "19 OT games" that we lost.

once again, John clearly has no idea what the word "hypothetical" means.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 pm

This is as far back as I can get on espn.com:

2/6/10 L 66-63
1/13/10 L 79-59
2/15/09 W 80-74
3/13/09 L 66-65
2/09/08 L 90-80
1/28/07 L 75-61
2/14/07 L 78-70
3/12/06 L 78-76
2/1/06 L 83-81
1/24/02 L 88-78
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:38 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:This is as far back as I can get on espn.com:

2/6/10 L 66-63
1/13/10 L 79-59
2/15/09 W 80-74
3/13/09 L 66-65
2/09/08 L 90-80
1/28/07 L 75-61
2/14/07 L 78-70
3/12/06 L 78-76
2/1/06 L 83-81
1/24/02 L 88-78

There was another loss from the Big East days. I don't believe it ended up close. I believe it was only about 2 or 4 points at the half and then Duke blew it open in the second and Jay Williams taunted Kenny Walls at the end.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:43 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:This is as far back as I can get on espn.com:

2/6/10 L 66-63
1/13/10 L 79-59
2/15/09 W 80-74
3/13/09 L 66-65
2/09/08 L 90-80
1/28/07 L 75-61
2/14/07 L 78-70
3/12/06 L 78-76
2/1/06 L 83-81
1/24/02 L 88-78

This goes as far back as 80-81 for all you Tom Davis fans:
http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/boston-college/schedule?season=1980-1981
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:47 pm

One thing to note is that some of the "close losses" to Duke are BC outscoring Duke 17-7 over the last 2 minutes to only lose by 8. I distinctly remember Andrew Bryant chucking up some 3's in a not-so-close game that ended up a 10 point loss. The outcome was never in doubt after the first TV timeout of the 2nd half. And this has happened several times. Just sayin'.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum