Noreen Update

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Noreen Update

Postby Bunratty on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:05 pm

From Blaudschun at the Globe at 3:58 p.m. today:

"In what may be a change of heart, Kevin Noreen, a 6-foot-10 inch forward from Minneapolis, who committed to the Eagles last fall and asked for and was granted his release from BC after Skinner was fired, may be having second thoughts and is considering remaining at BC."

Close the deal - Captain D.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Re: Noreen Update

Postby BCMcG on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Good news, but how could you quote that and not mention THIS?!!!

Sarandis out as BC hoops announcer

The face of Boston College basketball continues to change. Although it has not yet been announced, long time Eagle broadcaster Ted Sarandis, who has been the voice of BC basketball for 15 seasons, will not return next season, according to sources at Boston College.
Jon Meterparel, the Eagles' play-by-play announcer for football, is expected to be named as the replacement.
Sarandis's partner on the Eagle broadcasts Bill Ebben also will be replaced.

-------

Teddy, you will be missed. I sincerely hope you weren't run out of the building.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:42 pm

It will actually be possible to listen to BC hoop now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It will actually be possible to listen to BC hoop now.

I actually like Meter so I'm happy with the change. Apparently they're really clearing house over there.

On another note, Noreen would be a huge keep, hopefully SD can work his magic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Good news, but how could you quote that and not mention THIS?!!!

The face of Boston College basketball continues to change. Although it has not yet been announced, long time Eagle broadcaster Ted Sarandis, who has been the voice of BC basketball for 15 seasons, will not return next season, according to sources at Boston College.
Jon Meterparel, the Eagles' play-by-play announcer for football, is expected to be named as the replacement.

-------

Teddy, you will be missed. I sincerely hope you weren't run out of the building.

Maybe they can get back on the actual radio, rather than the interwebz
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby Shredder on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:00 pm

And how could you fail to mention this:
"In on the court matters, Eagle guard Brady Heslip, who enrolled at BC in January, but then asked for a release from his scholarship after the Eagles' fired Al Skinner and replaced him with Cornell Coach Steve Donahue, could re-surface at Northeastern. According to sources famliar with the situation, Heslip visited Northeastern last weekend and will make a decision in the next few weeks on whether to make the cross town move to Northeastern or enroll at Boise State."

Boise State or Northeastern? I don't think we're going to miss this guy.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Keeping Noreen will be a great accomplishment for this staff. We can use all the 6-10 kids we can get. Look at Duke - a bunch of tall gawky white guys won the national title!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:05 pm

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Good news, but how could you quote that and not mention THIS?!!!

Great news.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:24 pm

While this is probably good for BC in terms of perception, I think it's unfortunate that Teddy is gone. We would never be able to find anyone that loves BC as much as he does. Ebben is pretty solid and a good guy so I'm sad to see him leave. I'm very interested to see who they bring in to replace him.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby BC14Texas13 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:27 am

Pete Cronan next?
BC14Texas13
n00b

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 pm

BC14Texas13 {l Wrote}:Pete Cronan next?

That would be a blessing.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby ryrob on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:And how could you fail to mention this:
"In on the court matters, Eagle guard Brady Heslip, who enrolled at BC in January, but then asked for a release from his scholarship after the Eagles' fired Al Skinner and replaced him with Cornell Coach Steve Donahue, could re-surface at Northeastern. According to sources famliar with the situation, Heslip visited Northeastern last weekend and will make a decision in the next few weeks on whether to make the cross town move to Northeastern or enroll at Boise State."

Seriously, who cares about this kid? His dad's little whiny rant was embarrassing for his whole family. It's his own fault for picking a college based on basketball and nothing else. If poor little Brady thinks that he'll have a better time in college/get a better educational experience elsewhere, so be it. It's not like there's a huge market in the NBA for barely 6 foot tall white point guards. When he's done with his playing career, all he'll have is a piece of paper from Boise St. saying he's qualified to be a truck driver. Good luck with that.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:44 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Seriously, who cares about this kid? His dad's little whiny rant was embarrassing for his whole family. It's his own fault for picking a college based on basketball and nothing else. If poor little Brady thinks that he'll have a better time in college/get a better educational experience elsewhere, so be it. It's not like there's a huge market in the NBA for barely 6 foot tall white point guards. When he's done with his playing career, all he'll have is a piece of paper from Boise St. saying he's qualified to be a truck driver. Good luck with that.

just goes to show the quality of the recruits we had coming in. Donahue knew they weren't ACC quality and said, why waste these scholarships.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:11 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

just goes to show the quality of the recruits we had coming in. Donahue knew they weren't ACC quality and said, why waste these scholarships.

Exactly. That's why Donahue is working on Noreen to stay. He's terrible.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Shredder on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:41 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

That's my point. If Heslip is choosing between Northeastern and Boise State, then from a basketball perspective, I don't think we're going to miss him. If a top program started banging on his door, then I'd be concerned. This looks more and more like Donahue evaluated his talent and potential and realized he did not have much. I am fine with that since Donahue is the coach and he is the best to decide how good a player is. From an education perspective, BC gave him a semester of education far superior to what he wants and what he will get at his new school.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:18 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:

Nice, real fucking classy you two. He's gone there's no need to shit on the kid. No one knows how he would have done. I do recall quite a few threads where a lot of people were praising him but now that he's gone and his dad has supposedly gone off the deep end, let's be tough guys and make fun of his talent. Get a fucking life.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:45 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Nice, real fucking classy you two. He's gone there's no need to shit on the kid. No one knows how he would have done. I do recall quite a few threads where a lot of people were praising him but now that he's gone and his dad has supposedly gone off the deep end, let's be tough guys and make fun of his talent. Get a fucking life.

Heslip to NU talk about moving on up…..CAA basketball, um yeah that’s really more exciting and competitive than ACC Good Job
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby ryrob on Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:56 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

It's not about badmouthing the kid, notice how I said nothing about his talent. It's about realistic expectations, namely that he thinks going to BSU or NU will be better for his long-term prospects than BC. I especially have a problem with his Dad saying negative things about our alma mater for offering his kid a shot who apparently has no chance of doing better elsewhere.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:44 pm

"namely that he thinks going to BSU or NU will be better for his long-term prospects than BC."

Do we know that, though? I have no inside knowledge, but from what I've read, my take is he was given at least a gentle push...And while Dad did seem to have a few harsh words for Gene, I don't think he said anything else negative about the school. God, I'm pretty sure I've read some worse things about the AD on this site...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:50 pm

-------

I hope Noreen comes to his senses, he should at least honor his original commitment and give the new coach a chance…..I would respect him if he gave it a year and then if he was really unhappy transferred out. Ted Sarandis was the voice and puppet of Al Skinner, not so much the voice of the fanbase
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby totheights on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:00 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:

-------

I hope Noreen comes to his senses, he should at least honor his original commitment and give the new coach a chance…..I would respect him if he gave it a year and then if he was really unhappy transferred out. Ted Sarandis was the voice and puppet of Al Skinner, not so much the voice of the fanbase

That makes no sense at all.

First, he committed to a completely different staff. Not a single returning coach. Why should he honor his commitment, when he was basically committing to a different team?

Second, why the hell would he risk having to sit out a year or even two just to "give the coach a shot." How the heck is that in his best interest. I sure hope Noreen stays, but I hope it is because he wants to not because he has to give the coach a shot.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:47 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

any kid who talks publicly about BC and shits on BC (like his father) deserves all the shitting on he gets. Have fun at Boise St or Northeastern.....sorry we don't have a coach that recruits low level talent anymore.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby joemack13 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:20 pm

I prefer Tom heslips whining to this bullshit
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby screagle on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:51 pm

back to teddy...

i think gene had a hand in this. as someone else mentioned, teddy was allegiant to al -- he didn't push any buttons this past season. and as much as i liked teddy as a bc fan, he was obviously painful for a casual boston sports fan to listen to. if gene is trying to create excitement and local interest in our basketball program, a change here makes sense. unlike teddy, meter is respected on WEEI. while that means nothing to me, much of this town has irrational love for that radio station.
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:37 pm

I heard that all the guys selling popcorn are getting fired.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:sorry we don't have a coach that recruits low level talent anymore.

only a retard would say this about a coach who hasn't recruited anybody yet.
talon
Cushing Hall

Return to Conte Forum