Relax

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Relax

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 pm

Boston College surprised some folks when it fired Al Skinner, but I think it was a great move -- especially since the Eagles were able to land Steve Donahue from Cornell. The Big Red went 29-5 this season and reached the Sweet 16 by beating two ranked teams (Temple and Wisconsin). They eventually bowed out to Kentucky but were able to keep things competitive with the Wildcats. Cornell also gave No. 1 seed Kansas all it could handle during a regular-season loss at Allen Fieldhouse. All season long, Cornell was known as a disciplined, confident team that took care of the ball, limited its mistakes and took good shots. That's a reflection of Donahue, who could turn the Eagles into a power. BC only reached the Sweet 16 once in Skinner's 13 seasons. My guess is that the Eagles will do much better than that under Donahue. I'm also a big fan of the Brad Brownell hire at Clemson.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Re: Relax

Postby gaelfu on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Wow, in all the time I've spent lurking and posting, this is the most coherent, normal, colorless post I've ever seen you make.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:48 pm

While appreciating the irony of you telling others to relax...I also agree with everything you had to say there. SD has my support and faith.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:48 pm

Slow down... The coherence gives it away.

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1075354
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shredder on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:19 pm

If we're going to go all in with Donahue, then that includes him throwing away the things in the fridge he doesn't want and going shopping for his own ingredients. I'm all in.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby cornellfan on Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:51 pm

You guys should calm down, remember what Donahue was able to do at Cornell and what Cornell was. I think it has been said enough what Cornell accomplished this year by going to the Sweet 16, going 29-5, etc but dont forget how bad Cornell used to be. When Donahue took over Cornell back in 2000 he inherited a team that was only in the tournament once in the modern era in 1988 to get destroyed by Arizona. This was a team that had averaged 100-200 fans a game, that had an assistant commit suicide in the 90's, this program was a joke and a disaster. For Donahue to even get this team to a tournament was a major accomplishment considering Cornell's history but for him to get them to a Sweet 16 is amazing for the Ivy league considering all the Penn and Princeton teams in the 90's-00's were only able to get 3 tournament wins and never make a Sweet 16.
cornellfan
n00b

Postby 74'z-jerble on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:12 pm

While we're at it, lets run that bum, Reggie Jackson out of town. Let's really clean house. Jackson is fat, lazy, stupid, a bong smoker, and, worst of all, a bona fide FAGOLA who started at age 10 with the Legionaires!!!
74'z-jerble
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 am

Who hacked 74's account?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:24 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:You guys should calm down, remember what Donahue was able to do at Cornell and what Cornell was. I think it has been said enough what Cornell accomplished this year by going to the Sweet 16, going 29-5, etc but dont forget how bad Cornell used to be. When Donahue took over Cornell back in 2000 he inherited a team that was only in the tournament once in the modern era in 1988 to get destroyed by Arizona. This was a team that had averaged 100-200 fans a game, that had an assistant commit suicide in the 90's, this program was a joke and a disaster. For Donahue to even get this team to a tournament was a major accomplishment considering Cornell's history but for him to get them to a Sweet 16 is amazing for the Ivy league considering all the Penn and Princeton teams in the 90's-00's were only able to get 3 tournament wins and never make a Sweet 16.

I have to push back against this line of reasoning, i.e. trying to make the connection between SD's record at Cornell and his potential at BC. Why? Because it took SEVEN seasons for him to get to .500! Let me repeat that SEVEN seasons. That would NEVER happen in big time conferences like the ACC. Like Jones said... they have to win pretty quickly or they won't be around. Period. So, if he doesn't make it to the post season by year 4 (and I mean the NCAAs not the NIT) then I really don't see how he'll finish out his contract. You CANNOT lie dormant in the ACC and think that in the 7th year you're going to make waves. It just doesn't work like that, because your peers are consistantly retooling and subsequently maintain a recruiting advantage.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:31 pm

I agree Donahue doesnt make the NCAA in year or 4 or at least a strong bubble and he is done for. Too many teams have turned around so fast, he should be able to. Not only that, he shouldnt make the tourney with all seniors and then have to rebuild totally, Als lack of recruiting spelled his doom as much as lack of results.

And I am referring to a field of 64, not 96. 96 is a joke.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:40 pm

You're right, DuchesneEast, 96 is a J.O.K.E! ...and quite frankly, I don't think that being a 24th seed in a field of 96 will provide much cover. For those of you who truly understand the business that is D1 basketball, you understand that SD road ONE recruiting class into the big leagues. That's right... a SINGLE recruiting class. Now, if lighting can strike twice, he'll be able to mirror that success at BC. But I'm being realistic here... to borrow from the analogies being put forth on another thread... SD left Cornell's cupboards bare... so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops.

I really hope that Jones and this guy Waheed are able to land some talent really soon. ...like yesterday.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby cornellfan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:41 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
cornellfan {l Wrote}:You guys should calm down, remember what Donahue was able to do at Cornell and what Cornell was. I think it has been said enough what Cornell accomplished this year by going to the Sweet 16, going 29-5, etc but dont forget how bad Cornell used to be. When Donahue took over Cornell back in 2000 he inherited a team that was only in the tournament once in the modern era in 1988 to get destroyed by Arizona. This was a team that had averaged 100-200 fans a game, that had an assistant commit suicide in the 90's, this program was a joke and a disaster. For Donahue to even get this team to a tournament was a major accomplishment considering Cornell's history but for him to get them to a Sweet 16 is amazing for the Ivy league considering all the Penn and Princeton teams in the 90's-00's were only able to get 3 tournament wins and never make a Sweet 16.

I have to push back against this line of reasoning, i.e. trying to make the connection between SD's record at Cornell and his potential at BC. Why? Because it took SEVEN seasons for him to get to .500! Let me repeat that SEVEN seasons. That would NEVER happen in big time conferences like the ACC. Like Jones said... they have to win pretty quickly or they won't be around. Period. So, if he doesn't make it to the post season by year 4 (and I mean the NCAAs not the NIT) then I really don't see how he'll finish out his contract. You CANNOT lie dormant in the ACC and think that in the 7th year you're going to make waves. It just doesn't work like that, because your peers are consistantly retooling and subsequently maintain a recruiting advantage.

I agree he will be gone if he doesnt get to the NCAA's by year 4 or less but my point was he turned around Cornell in 7 years and they were in much much worse shape that BC is now so I dont think it is too much of a stretch he could do the same at BC in half the time
cornellfan
n00b

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks for the clarification, cornellfan.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby cornellfan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:45 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:You're right, DuchesneEast, 96 is a J.O.K.E! ...and quite frankly, I don't think that being a 24th seed in a field of 96 will provide much cover. For those of you who truly understand the business that is D1 basketball, you understand that SD road ONE recruiting class into the big leagues. That's right... a SINGLE recruiting class. Now, if lighting can strike twice, he'll be able to mirror that success at BC. But I'm being realistic here... to borrow from the analogies being put forth on another thread... SD left Cornell's cupboards bare... so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops.

I really hope that Jones and this guy Waheed are able to land some talent really soon. ...like yesterday.

Donahue had one recruiting class because it took 6 years to get anyone decent to come to Cornell. If he had stayed I would bet Cornell would have won another Ivy title in the next 3 years. Also Donahue did not leave Cornell's cupboard that bare, we have not lost any current players or any of the 7 recruits to transferring. Most of the players we have now have not played much but I would not be surprised to see us steal an Ivy title this year from Princeton/Harvard
cornellfan
n00b

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:46 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:You're right, DuchesneEast, 96 is a J.O.K.E! ...and quite frankly, I don't think that being a 24th seed in a field of 96 will provide much cover. For those of you who truly understand the business that is D1 basketball, you understand that SD road ONE recruiting class into the big leagues. That's right... a SINGLE recruiting class. Now, if lighting can strike twice, he'll be able to mirror that success at BC. But I'm being realistic here... to borrow from the analogies being put forth on another thread... SD left Cornell's cupboards bare... so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops.

Donahue had one recruiting class because it took 6 years to get anyone decent to come to Cornell. If he had stayed I would bet Cornell would have won another Ivy title in the next 3 years. Also Donahue did not leave Cornell's cupboard that bare, we have not lost any current players or any of the 7 recruits to transferring. Most of the players we have now have not played much but I would not be surprised to see us steal an Ivy title this year from Princeton/Harvard

Key word in that sentence is STEAL. That being said... a full roster and a full cupboard are not synonymous. I'm sorry. You're losing better than 70% of your scoring. THAT is a bare cupboard by any definition.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby cornellfan on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:10 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
cornellfan {l Wrote}:

Key word in that sentence is STEAL. That being said... a full roster and a full cupboard are not synonymous. I'm sorry. You're losing better than 70% of your scoring. THAT is a bare cupboard by any definition.

Yeah I guess you are right that losing 70% is a bare cupboard but at this point it is really unpredictable how good or bad the players he left us with are, they could finish anywhere from 7th to 1st next year in the Ivy
cornellfan
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:16 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:That's right... a SINGLE recruiting class. Now, if lighting can strike twice, he'll be able to mirror that success at BC. But I'm being realistic here... so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops.

Lightning has to strike twice for an enthusiastic coach with many connections and an exciting offense who can now offer scholarships in a premiere conference to a school not in the middle of the woods and his assistant who has proven to be a solid recruiter on the east coast? Aren't you the one who had "to push back against this line of reasoning, i.e. trying to make the connection between SD's record at Cornell and his potential at BC." Yet now you're saying it would be amazing if he recruits well and are backing it up with showing what he did at Cornell? You're all over the map carolina.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:18 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
cornellfan {l Wrote}:Donahue had one recruiting class because it took 6 years to get anyone decent to come to Cornell. If he had stayed I would bet Cornell would have won another Ivy title in the next 3 years. Also Donahue did not leave Cornell's cupboard that bare, we have not lost any current players or any of the 7 recruits to transferring. Most of the players we have now have not played much but I would not be surprised to see us steal an Ivy title this year from Princeton/Harvard

Not necessarily. Could just be that some of the younger guys weren't getting much run b/c he had a bunch of seniors. And they could have decent recruits coming in. (not saying they do, just that they could. I'm a little behind on my Cornell recruiting news)
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:22 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:That's right... a SINGLE recruiting class. Now, if lighting can strike twice, he'll be able to mirror that success at BC. But I'm being realistic here... so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops.

Lightning has to strike twice for an enthusiastic coach with many connections and an exciting offense who can now offer scholarships in a premiere conference to a school not in the middle of the woods and his assistant who has proven to be a solid recruiter on the east coast? Aren't you the one who had "to push back against this line of reasoning, i.e. trying to make the connection between SD's record at Cornell and his potential at BC." Yet now you're saying it would be amazing if he recruits well and are backing it up with showing what he did at Cornell? You're all over the map carolina.

I never said that it would be amazing if he recruits well. I intimated that he does not have a record of recruiting well and that he road a single recruiting class into the big leagues. I am confident that Jones and Waheed will be able to recruit for the reasons that you've stated... with one caveat... BC has NO BUSINESS in the ACC. That is what makes it a hard sell.

On another note, I don't get why everyone keeps talking about 'an exciting offense' my GOD people... damned near every school in the ACC runs an exciting offense... so BC has no edge with that line of argument.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:25 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I never said that it would be amazing if he recruits well. I intimated that he does not have a record of recruiting well and that he road a single recruiting class into the big leagues. I am confident that Jones and Waheed will be able to recruit for the reasons that you've stated... with one caveat... BC has NO BUSINESS in the ACC. That is what makes it a hard sell.

On another note, I don't get why everyone keeps talking about 'an exciting offense' my GOD people... damned near every school in the ACC runs an exciting offense... so BC has no edge with that line of argument.

"Lighting striking twice" refers to what then? An every day occurence?

Please keep saying "road", it's humorous. The exciting offense refers to the shift from the previous regime's to his.

Can you please outline why BC has "no business" in the ACC? I'm waiting with baited breath.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:28 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Please keep saying "road", it's humorous. The exciting offense refers to the shift from the previous regime's to his.

Can you please outline why BC has "no business" in the ACC? I'm waiting with baited breath.

My bad on the misspelling... guess that was the only error you could point out, huh... there was certainly nothing wrong with the logical reasoning being put forth. I don't get your meaning behind the 'lightning striking twice' reference... Please advise.

Re: the BC has no business in the ACC. It's the wrong region... making it a hard sell. No one south of the Mason-Dixon gives a damn about BC and I'm sure it's mutual... pointing to the low attendance levels when our teams travel up to Conte. That being said, down south... whether it's BC or Hampton-Sydney playing... it's sure to be a sell-out crowd... because these are college sports towns in EVERY sense of the word.
Last edited by carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Cornellfan=good new poster
Carolina2010=shitty new poster
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:31 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Cornellfan=good new poster
Carolina2010=shitty new poster

Why am I 'shitty'?
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby thezman10 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:34 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

My understanding is that as a result of the 4 corners offense that Villanova used to beat Georgetown in the NCAA final last year, the NCAA is going to put a mandatory shot clock in place for all games. They are also going to put a 3 point line in for ALL conferences.

If those changes don't add more excitement, I don't know what else could (other than removing the 5/8 rule to allow a team more new players on an annual basis).
thezman10
n00b

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:36 pm

thezman10 .... HILARIOUS! :lol:
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

My bad on the misspelling... guess that was the only error you could point out, huh... there was certainly nothing wrong with the logical reasoning being put forth. I don't get your meaning behind the 'lightning striking twice' reference... Please advise.

Re: the BC has no business in the ACC. It's the wrong region... making it a hard sell. No one south of the Mason-Dixon gives a damn about BC and I'm sure it's mutual... pointing to the low attendance levels when our teams travel up to Conte. That being said, down south... whether it's BC or Hampton-Sydney playing... it's sure to be a sell-out crowd... because these are college sports towns in EVERY sense of the word.

You're an imbecile. There, I said it. You can't even troll right. Here you pose as a BC fan: "so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops" and here "I really hope that Jones and this guy Waheed are able to land some talent really soon. ...like yesterday.", yet then you out yourself as another ACC fan "pointing to the low attendance levels when our teams travel up to Conte."

Down south it's sure to be a sellout crowd, huh? Ever looked at Miami's attendance? How about GT averaging 81% last season? Or NCSU averging 68% capacity?

Why do I have to "advise" concerning the lighting striking twice reference, when you said it just over an hour ago? Can't keep your arguments straight? Genius.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby triangeleagle on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 pm

The awesome Power of 74 -- even a thread started by someone pretending to be him generates controversy and a pissing match. :angrychicken
triangeleagle
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:08 pm

carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:On another note, I don't get why everyone keeps talking about 'an exciting offense' my GOD people... damned near every school in the ACC runs an exciting offense... so BC has no edge with that line of argument.

Not picking on you carolina... but, I hear media-types talk ad nausea about geography when discussing BC "not belonging" in the ACC. I have always viewed it stupidity (media folks are pretty stupid and (unless they are a talking head on TV) have salaries hovering the poverty level). So, since they aren't posting here... I'll ask you...
Exactly which conferences is BC permitted to join?
I also would like to know why proximity is ignored when discussing the PAC10, Big12, Big East?
I'd also liked to know why geography was ignored and ND was considered a great "fit" by the media when the ACC explored them 5 years ago?
Finally, I'd like to know why (in discussing the B10's expansion) proximity is never discussed by the media when weighing the pros and cons?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:14 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

You're an imbecile. There, I said it. You can't even troll right. Here you pose as a BC fan: "so I don't think that we should be hanging our hat on his recruiting chops" and here "I really hope that Jones and this guy Waheed are able to land some talent really soon. ...like yesterday.", yet then you out yourself as another ACC fan "pointing to the low attendance levels when our teams travel up to Conte."

Down south it's sure to be a sellout crowd, huh? Ever looked at Miami's attendance? How about GT averaging 81% last season? Or NCSU averging 68% capacity?

Why do I have to "advise" concerning the lighting striking twice reference, when you said it just over an hour ago? Can't keep your arguments straight? Genius.

Sticks and stones, pedro... sticks and stones. I'm not posing as anything. Like I said when I first joined. My husband actually played for BC during Skinner's lean years. That's the connection. I have nothing to hide. Just trying to add a bit of rationality to the board... that's it. I am not an ACC fan. The only team in the ACC that I actually care about is BC because of my hubby.

Regarding the lightning striking twice statement... I simply didn't get your equating it to an everyday occurrence, because SURELY you weren't asserting that recruiting ACC caliber players is something that anyone can do.

Regarding attendance levels... Hmmm. NCState plays in a venue that seats 20,000... so 13,600 folks is nothing to scoff at. The point is that Conte fans would NEVER fill an arena like that, which is what puts them at a disadvantage.
Last edited by carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Postby carolina2010 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
carolina2010 {l Wrote}:On another note, I don't get why everyone keeps talking about 'an exciting offense' my GOD people... damned near every school in the ACC runs an exciting offense... so BC has no edge with that line of argument.

Not picking on you carolina... but, I hear media-types talk ad nausea about geography when discussing BC "not belonging" in the ACC. I have always viewed it stupidity (media folks are pretty stupid and (unless they are a talking head on TV) have salaries hovering the poverty level). So, since they aren't posting here... I'll ask you...
Exactly which conferences is BC permitted to join?
I also would like to know why proximity is ignored when discussing the PAC10, Big12, Big East?
I'd also liked to know why geography was ignored and ND was considered a great "fit" by the media when the ACC explored them 5 years ago?
Finally, I'd like to know why (in discussing the B10's expansion) proximity is never discussed by the media when weighing the pros and cons?

Glad to oblige, HJS. Please don't read anything more into my prior post than this: BC is a fish out of water in the ACC. It's not about 'permission' ... BC has proven time and time again that it's sports teams are competitive enough to compete in any conference. I think the 'geography' issue is not a purely locational argument... it's more or less a 'type of environment' issue. The difference between geography with regard to ND and BC is fan-base. ND's fan base travels extremely well and supports their teams on a rabid level. (Like most southern schools.) ND is the only thing going on in South Bend.... BC can't say the same.

The BEast was (and IMO always will be) the better fit for BC because there are many more 'like' schools in that conference, i.e. Villanova, Providence, Marquette, Seton Hall. Not necessarily with regard to academics, but the fact that they play in smaller venues and aren't the only games in town, ya know?
carolina2010
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum