Gallagher's replacement....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Gallagher's replacement....

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Gallagher's replacement....

Postby WaterlooEagle on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:19 pm

BC hires Niagara assistant
Mark Blaudschun, Globe Staff, Globe Staff / Apr 17, 2010

New Boston College basketball coach Steve Donahue did not waste any time in finding a replacement for assistant coach John Gallagher. Two days after Gallagher left his new job at BC for a newer job as the head coach at Hartford, Donahue, according to sources familar with the process ,has hired Niagara assistant coach Akbar Waheed.

Waheed was the also the recruiting coordinator for Niagara coach Joe Mihalich and has been at Niagara for the past 11 seasons.

If Donahue is the Captain, then this guy's the Admiral.

Buh-dum, ching.
WaterlooEagle
n00b

Postby DaveSpeed on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Hitting the recruiting trail for Niagara is 11th year assistant coach Akbar Waheed. As a member of the Niagara coaching staff, Waheed serves as the Purple Eagles’ recruiting coordinator, as well as, working closely with the day-to-day operations of practice, scheduling and scouting. He is also responsible for the development of Niagara’s forwards and centers.

Since Waheed’s arrival at the start of the 1999-2000 season, the Purple Eagles have compiled a record of 188-120 and earned an NCAA Tournament win, a pair of NCAA Tournament berths, two Metro Atlantic Athletic Championships, two trips to the NIT and two MAAC regular-season titles. The assistant has been a part of four 20-win seasons while on the bench along side head coach Joe Mihalich.

Many players have been influenced by Waheed during his previous 10 seasons. Players such as 1,000-point scorers Juan Mendez (2,210), Charron Fisher (1,799), Tremmell Darden (1,729), Tyrone Lewis (1,388), James Reaves (1,274) David Brooks (1,354), Lorenzo Miles (1,311), Alvin Cruz (1,207), and J.R. Duffey (1,043) have all been coached by Waheed during their Niagara careers, illustrating the coach’s overall impact on the program’s success.

Waheed joined the staff after a successful four-year career as a Purple Eagle from 1995 to 1999. One of the best defenders on the team, Waheed was a deadly free-throw shooter during his career. As a freshman, he hit two key free throws with 16 seconds left in Niagara’s upset win over Manhattan in the MAAC Tournament quarterfinals. In his senior season, Waheed was a key contributor off the bench for Niagara. He scored a career-high eight points in Niagara’s 119-108 win over Marist and grabbed a season-best five boards vs. Loyola.

Waheed graduated from Niagara in 1999 with a bachelor’s degree in communications, before earning his master’s degree in School counseling in 2007.

A native of Washington, D.C., Waheed played high school basketball at Gonzaga High. He averaged 12 points, five rebounds and 2.6 assists as a senior and helped the team rank as high as sixth nationally as a junior. Waheed also played safety on the football team and was the team’s most valuable player as a senior.

Waheed is married to the former Nicole Carter, and has a daughter, Infiniti (13) and a son, Akbar III (3). The family resides in Niagara Falls, N.Y.
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 pm

He'll be responsible for analyzing opponents' defenses on the fly, and calling out warnings to our players.

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby totheights on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:48 pm

Sounds like he has done well at Niagara. It seems like somewhat of a downgrade going from Gallagher to Waheed. But I don't know enough about Waheed to comment.

But the most important part of the hire is, did the guy really name his daughter Infiniti?
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby joemack13 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:00 pm

I was also thrown off by the name akbar waheed, and was almost to acceptance until I got to the end of the article and saw he named his daughter infiniti. OJ's head must be exploding
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:21 pm

I saw Gallagher at the Norwalk Comedy club...next was some guy from Jersey.

Thanks God I went to the bathroom when he hit the watermelon since my new leather jacket from the Men's Warehouse and Marcy Sims woulda been his funeral blanket.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby WaterlooEagle on Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:44 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I saw Gallagher at the Norwalk Comedy club...next was some guy from Jersey.

Thanks God I went to the bathroom when he hit the watermelon since my new leather jacket from the Men's Warehouse and Marcy Sims woulda been his funeral blanket.

I don't get it.
WaterlooEagle
n00b

Postby ADonovanJr on Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:45 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:Sounds like he has done well at Niagara. It seems like somewhat of a downgrade going from Gallagher to Waheed. But I don't know enough about Waheed to comment.

But the most important part of the hire is, did the guy really name his daughter Infiniti?

Does he were a bow tie?
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby AdamBC on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:40 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:He'll be responsible for analyzing opponents' defenses on the fly, and calling out warnings to our players.

This post is so awesome, I have nominated it for post of the year.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby triangeleagle on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:49 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:He'll be responsible for analyzing opponents' defenses on the fly, and calling out warnings to our players.

This post is so awesome, I have nominated it for post of the year.

Second.

Took my feble brain a minute to make the connection, but worth the wait.
triangeleagle
n00b

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:01 pm

Sounds like a nice hire. A recruiter to compliment Jones and Donahue who specializes in big men. We're in business.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Return to Conte Forum