Tougher Rebuild Job

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Thoughts

Skinner
81%
Donahue
19%

Total votes : 36

Tougher Rebuild Job

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:04 pm

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Tougher Rebuild Job

Postby talon on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:05 pm

Anybody fucktarded enough to vote for Donahue should have to own up to their vote.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:06 pm

I haven't voted. That being said, there is minimal talent on this current roster.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:I haven't voted. That being said, there is minimal talent on this current roster.

where was the talent on the 1997/98 roster?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:10 pm

BC's starting Center in '96 was 6'6. I believe there were walk-ons in the lineup. Dunno, I was in diapers.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:11 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:I haven't voted. That being said, there is minimal talent on this current roster.

where was the talent on the 1997/98 roster?

I missed the part when I said that the 1997/1998 roster was talented. Can you point it out to me?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby totheights on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:52 pm

I'd say Donahue has it much easier. He has plenty of scholarships....no fog of scandal and other bad shit floating around.

Just get his players in and coach them up. I'm not going to go crazy over a few transfers like the rest of this board. It happens with coaching changes.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 pm

Well a couple of things to consider here...

Donahue is following "the most successful coach in BC history"...

He's starting with what will essentially be a bare cupboard in 2011...

He's battling the national media fellatio of Skinner who, aside from Bob Ryan, universally panned his firing because he's "a nice guy"...

So while I wouldn't say Donahue has the tougher rebuild job, this is certainly no picnic either.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:46 pm

You rebuild with solid bricks and character and talent.

Those who leave, leave. One had no character. The other was unknown.

Blessings!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ADonovanJr on Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:46 am

I would not panic. Outside of a few programs, coaching changes always mean a step back as the new coach puts his stamp on the program. From what I heard, the team last year was not a close knit bunch. Watching them play, it often looked like they were a bunch of guys wearing the same uniform. Failure can do that, but bad chemistry is usually to blame.

You can be sure the new coach got a full run down about all the players before he sat down with them. His first talk with them was a laying down the law type of speech designed to flush out any of the politicians right away. As a rule, the first kid to come see you is either the guy who thinks it is his team and wants to tell you how things are done or a kid that wants to be a leader and is ready to buy in. If I were to guess, Sanders spent a lot of time talking about how his senior year was his chance to showcase himself for the pro scouts.

The Heslip kid leaving is not a surprise. He was supposed to be a gunner in Skinner's system. Defense and ball handling were not top priorities for his role. Watching Cornell a little this year, defense and smart ball handling are premiums. A guy that just shoots would have a limited role. At this stage, he is probably wise to look elsewhere if he wants to be a starter.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 am

This rebuilding job is 100x easier than Skinners.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 am

I hate Skinner and he's the easy choice.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:50 am

Now that the comparison is on the table, doesn't it mean the pro-Skinner crowd will get their panties in a bunch if SD doesn't have a conference championship by year 4? Why can't we just evaluate AS for AS and SD for SD?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:18 am

Not for nothing but JOBias had a pretty tough rebuilding effort when he took the helm in 1986. Gary Williams bailed without a legitimate recruit after he failed to land Rumeal Robinson. JOBias took over a team with Reggie Pruit as its only recruit, Dana Barros, 6'8" center Tyrone Scott, Jamie and Steve Benton, Ted "I suck out loud" Kelly and a broken down 5th year senior who played on one leg (his name is avoiding me). Granted it took JOBias about 8 years to rebuild but the dirbag did finally manage to turn things around.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:33 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Not for nothing but JOBias had a pretty tough rebuilding effort when he took the helm in 1986. Gary Williams bailed without a legitimate recruit after he failed to land Rumeal Robinson. JOBias took over a team with Reggie Pruit as its only recruit, Dana Barros, 6'8" center Tyrone Scott, Jamie and Steve Benton, Ted "I suck out loud" Kelly and a broken down 5th year senior who played on one leg (his name is avoiding me). Granted it took JOBias about 8 years to rebuild but the dirbag did finally manage to turn things around.

Gary Williams was a quitter. He whined and moaned about being bad mouthed by other coaches when recruiting against them. Thompson, Massimino, Carnesseca, etc. All he had to do was committ to BC but he continued to look for another position. No different than Tobias. The day he took the job at Ohio State was a relief.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:39 am

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:BC's starting Center in '96 was 6'6. I believe there were walk-ons in the lineup. Dunno, I was in diapers.

The relevant year is '97/'98 if we're looking at year one. That year BC's starting center was 6'10" and pretty good. In fact, he was so good he actually left after his junior year to play pro ball (albeit in Greece, but he still left). http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/boston-college/kostas-maglos. Skinner actually had some talent in his first year: Antonio Granger, Duane Woodward and Kenny Harley, with the first two being experienced contributors to a championship team the year before. I'd say Al had is slightly easier in year one, as I'd take Maglos, Granger, Woodward, Harley, and Mickey Curley (as a team unit) over Reggie, Biko, Southern, Dunn, et al. They had an above average point guard (Woodward), a capable low post scorer (Maglos), a good cold-blooded shooter (Granger), and some serviceable spare parts. The 2010/11 squad has (essentially) "Reggie and the Rest."

As for year 2, Al was completely and utterly screwed. Maglos, Granger, and Woodward left/graduated, and even promising sub Javier Rodriguez left the program (i think he too went pro in Europe). He was left with the dregs and (as pointed out) the immortal Dwayne Pina had to match up against Kahlid El-Amin and others in the BE. As piss poor as 2011/12 is looking, on the whole, I think Al had a much harder job.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I hate Skinner and he's the easy choice.

I hate Al, and would have to agree. We don't have any scandals here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum