HC back on the schedule

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

HC back on the schedule

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:56 pm

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Re: HC back on the schedule

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:02 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:That didn't take long.

Good. The reasons stated for not playing them - they play hard and we don't want to risk injury - was the kind of pussification not needed in any D1 athletics program.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:56 pm

Another chapter of Good For New England Basketball :kudos
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Truth is we'll get a good crowd for HC. The whalepants love the old rivalry games.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:18 pm

This is weird... It's almost as if Gene is doing his job of getting us excited for BC basketball...
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:14 pm

How's their HC situation?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:16 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This is weird... It's almost as if Gene is doing his job of getting us excited for BC basketball...

It will get the Whalepants involved and a lot of kids remember the rivalry and apply to both schools. Wow, my sports life would have sucked if I went to HC.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:04 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:This is weird... It's almost as if Gene is doing his job of getting us excited for BC basketball...

We should always play them. There's no reason not to. How about getting a Bball game versus BU and Northeastern every year? It's not that hard Gene. Play HC, UMass, URI, BU and Northeastern every year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:29 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We should always play them. There's no reason not to. How about getting a Bball game versus BU and Northeastern every year? It's not that hard Gene. Play HC, UMass, URI, BU and Northeastern every year.

I say we should, but we won’t. I mean hell we could have a basketball beanpot and host it at revolving sites Conte, Agganis, and Mathew’s….but we won’t. We would only play them @ home and that kinda sucks
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm

HC vs HCSD
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:25 pm

Thank goodness. And, despite the fact that the DCU is a dump, the away games out there are fun as well.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby totheights on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:34 pm

A basketball Beanpot would theoretically come to BC 3/4 of the times, but I think it is an idea that could be tested. After all, Harvard has owned us the past 2 years, even though The Don isn't going to let that happen anymore.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:HCSD

You're lucky CarterFinleyHitSquad came for TRE again. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get shot in the dick.

Aside: When Holy Cross hires a coach, will his message board moniker be, for instance, HCHCAS? Right now, they don't have a coach, so I'm going to refer to him as HCHCHC.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm

Playing Holy Cross, BU, Northeastern, URI, and UMass every season would be retarded. That would be the SOS equivalent of Virginia Tech playing Brown, Delaware, UMBC, Longwood, and VMI last season, which was literally the reason for their not making the tournament. Rotating 2 or maybe 3 of them every season is much more reasonable. BC needs to focus on scheduling bigger non-conference games each year (ala the home/home with Kansas) to help boost their national profile.

I'm all about scheduling the "good for New England" games, but let's not get carried away.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:HCSD

You're lucky CarterFinleyHitSquad came for TRE again. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to get shot in the dick.

Aside: When Holy Cross hires a coach, will his message board moniker be, for instance, HCHCAS? Right now, they don't have a coach, so I'm going to refer to him as HCHCHC.

I figured I could get away with it, but it is still living dangerously since I dont know his 35 aliases. I am hoping you're not one.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 pm

Even with the bad blood we have with Calhoun and UConn, I'd love to see the old Colonial Classic revived. Rotate it between Boston, Hartford and Worcester each year. Invite BC, UConn, UMass and Providence. As every so often one or two of these teams won't participate, invite replacement teams as needed from some combination of Rhode Island, Holy Cross, or a viable Mid-Atlantic mid-major like Siena, a strong Ivy, or a strong Patriot League team.

I'm sure it's unrealistic as college basketball has changed; note how the Tobacco Road teams no longer play the Big Four tournament. Still, it would be fun.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:10 am

Holy Cross Basketball: Catch the Excitement! :seanwilliams
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 am

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:Even with the bad blood we have with Calhoun and UConn, I'd love to see the old Colonial Classic revived. Rotate it between Boston, Hartford and Worcester each year. Invite BC, UConn, UMass and Providence. As every so often one or two of these teams won't participate, invite replacement teams as needed from some combination of Rhode Island, Holy Cross, or a viable Mid-Atlantic mid-major like Siena, a strong Ivy, or a strong Patriot League team.

I'm sure it's unrealistic as college basketball has changed; note how the Tobacco Road teams no longer play the Big Four tournament. Still, it would be fun.

I agree, but the tourney should be 8 teams over 3 days, seeded by RPI, to include

UConn
Northeastern

UMass
BU

Providence
Harvard

BC
Holy Cross

Other options include Hartford, UNH, Vermont.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:21 am

It would make sense with some many big arenas in New England that could host a tourney on a rotating basis. EagleDave has a point though, the same argument from football we need stronger non-conference games. The only plus side of basketball is the fact that you have more non-conference options
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:Even with the bad blood we have with Calhoun and UConn, I'd love to see the old Colonial Classic revived. Rotate it between Boston, Hartford and Worcester each year. Invite BC, UConn, UMass and Providence. As every so often one or two of these teams won't participate, invite replacement teams as needed from some combination of Rhode Island, Holy Cross, or a viable Mid-Atlantic mid-major like Siena, a strong Ivy, or a strong Patriot League team.

I agree, but the tourney should be 8 teams over 3 days, seeded by RPI, to include

UConn
Northeastern

UMass
BU

Providence
Harvard

BC
Holy Cross

Other options include Hartford, UNH, Vermont.

Even better, TW. That would be one exciting tournament from a New England perspective. Question is when to schedule it, and in what format. You could do the first two rounds in say Hartford and Boston over New Year's weekend, and then the third round a week later in Worcester or Providence. Then rotate the sites year by year.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BigRedGuy on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm

bcsoxfan12 {l Wrote}:It would make sense with some many big arenas in New England that could host a tourney on a rotating basis. EagleDave has a point though, the same argument from football we need stronger non-conference games. The only plus side of basketball is the fact that you have more non-conference options

The non conference SOS argument will go away somewhat due to the 96 team tournament. Somewhere (It might of been ESPN) did a 96 team projection if had been 2010 and all the ACC teams got in. Schools started to host local teams a few years ago to save on travel costs. It occasionally backfires, such as when Central Connecticut beat PC 11 years ago for PC's opener. However it would be good for New England basketball, especially since there are more D-1 schools such as Bryant. :flagus
BigRedGuy
n00b

Return to Conte Forum