Joe Jones to BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Joe Jones to BC

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:59 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:This is the first time in a long time I am really really excited about BC basketball.

Today could mark the end of the Hoops Weirdos. TWood, tweezie and cambridge85 may have a lot of company and it might be considered normal to talk about BC Hoops.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:This is the first time in a long time I am really really excited about BC basketball.

I agree. I can't remember being this excited about a season that's months away. Captain D has to hold a Midnight Madness celebration when the time comes.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle !!!
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:38 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Great hire. I can't believe I'm saying this, but the BC athletic department did a great job hiring Donahue who then did a great job hiring staff. BC basketball will be exciting, folks.

+1 Great news, I am going to go out and buy a jersey.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Pahreen on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:56 pm

Maybe not.

Though the New York Daily News reported that Columbia men’s basketball head coach Joe Jones is leaving to become former Cornell head coach Steve Donahue’s assistant at Boston College, a source with intimate knowledge of the situation stated that it was just speculation. According to the source, Jones has not been offered a contract.

After news broke that Donahue was taking the job at Boston College, several news outlets reported that he had asked another Ivy League head coach to come on as one of his assistants. Yesterday, when asked if he was the Ivy coach in question, Jones said that there was no truth to those rumors.
Last edited by Pahreen on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:00 am

Pahreen {l Wrote}:Maybe not.

Though the New York Daily News reported that Columbia men’s basketball head coach Joe Jones is leaving to become former Cornell head coach Steve Donahue’s assistant at Boston College, a source with intimate knowledge of the situation stated that it was just speculation. According to the source, Jones has not been offered a contract.

After news broke that Donahue was taking the job at Boston College, several news outlets reported that he had asked another Ivy League head coach to come on as one of his assistants. Yesterday, when asked if he was the Ivy coach in question, Jones said that there was no truth to those rumors.

This is old news. This "rumor" was floating yesterday, that he was not the guy. Has been rebutted.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC '00 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This is old news. This "rumor" was floating yesterday, that he was not the guy. Has been rebutted.

So what's the latest? Is Jones joining the staff or not?
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This prediction is like the kiss of death.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

This prediction is like the kiss of death.

It's not a prediction. The reports that he accepted post-date the reports that he was not a candidate. This last one is just regurgitating the report in that guys blog a couple of days ago.

I have no inside info, other than that he is a good coach and a great recruiter, and no predictions. I guess it won't be final until it is announced.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:44 am

The contact period with recruits begins today. Unfortunately for Donahue that does not given him the luxury of discussing the job with a lot of candidates. I hope a decision has been made as these guys need to pound the pavement hard and find some players worthy of a BC scholarship.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 am

Plus, the page saying it is still speculation has been taken down.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Plus, the page saying it is still speculation has been taken down.

It's back up. They just changed the URL after I originally posted it. I fixed the link in the first post. Here it is again:

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2010/0 ... peculation
Pahreen
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:01 am

Pahreen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Plus, the page saying it is still speculation has been taken down.

It's back up. They just changed the URL after I originally posted it. I fixed the link in the first post. Here it is again:

http://www.columbiaspectator.com/2010/0 ... peculation

Yeah, that sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me, given the source.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:04 am

I have no insight other than what has been posted by the various news sources discussed.

To give a timeline...
Katz reported that Donahue was in Indianapolis talking to people about coming to BC as an assistant... this (Katz said) included at least one current head coach of an Ivy school.
Based on the above, Joe Jones immediately sprung to everyone's mind due to his close relationship with Capt. D, his great success at Villanova and his career stagnation at Columbia.
Some blogs guessed it was JJ.
The school newspaper queried that it could be Jones too. But, reportedly, someone at the school paper asked him if he was contacted and he denied being offered (perhaps a fine distinction) which the school paper took to mean that the rumor was false.
Jeff Goodman (among others) begane reporting Monday morning that BC did offer the position to JJ. Those tweets and blog entries quickly were updated to say that he was expected to take it.
Dick Weiss then reported that JJ was indeed resigning to take the assoc HC position at BC.
The school paper, citing unnamed sources, claimed that this was still in a rumor stage because no contract was signed.

Personally, I tend to believe the likes of Jeff Goodman, Andy Katz, Dick Weiss, Fox, ESPN and NY Daily News over that of Michele Cleary and Matt Velazquez of the Columbia Spectator. Really, I think these are kids just missing the fine points of officially being offered and signing a contract. I think it should be telling that the AD would not comment to them on the situation.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I have no insight other than what has been posted by the various news sources discussed.

To give a timeline...
Katz reported that Donahue was in Indianapolis talking to people about coming to BC as an assistant... this (Katz said) included at least one current head coach of an Ivy school.
Based on the above, Joe Jones immediately sprung to everyone's mind due to his close relationship with Capt. D, his great success at Villanova and his career stagnation at Columbia.
Some blogs guessed it was JJ.
The school newspaper queried that it could be Jones too. But, reportedly, someone at the school paper asked him if he was contacted and he denied being offered (perhaps a fine distinction) which the school paper took to mean that the rumor was false.
Jeff Goodman (among others) begane reporting Monday morning that BC did offer the position to JJ. Those tweets and blog entries quickly were updated to say that he was expected to take it.
Dick Weiss then reported that JJ was indeed resigning to take the assoc HC position at BC.
The school paper, citing unnamed sources, claimed that this was still in a rumor stage because no contract was signed.

Personally, I tend to believe the likes of Jeff Goodman, Andy Katz, Dick Weiss, Fox, ESPN and NY Daily News over that of Michele Cleary and Matt Velazquez of the Columbia Spectator. Really, I think these are kids just missing the fine points of officially being offered and signing a contract. I think it should be telling that the AD would not comment to them on the situation.

I said this a lot shorter.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: I said this a lot shorter.

Sure you did, but that was only because you PREDICTED it as a done deal.

On an aside, in one of the many interviews Coach D gave, he described who his assistants would be and he described perfectly Jones, Graham and Gallagher.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: I said this a lot shorter.

Sure you did, but that was only because you PREDICTED it as a done deal.

On an aside, in one of the many interviews Coach D gave, he described who his assistants would be and he described perfectly Jones, Graham and Gallagher.

Oh, well done.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:36 pm

I'm an idiot. So, given your timeline that I may or may not have read correctly, Jones is still BC bound?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Pahreen on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 am

Blaudschun thinks so:

An announcement about his coaching staff could come in the next 24 hours, with Penn assistant John Gallagher, Columbia head coach Joe Jones, and Cornell assistant Nat Graham expected to be named to the staff
Pahreen
n00b

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 am

Still nothing official. But, this is from the Columbia Spectator. I'm not posting it regarding the veracity of the rumor, but to give a little insight into the coach we likely will be getting.
http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/s ... d-by-jones
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum