Reggie Jackson Speaks

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Reggie Jackson Speaks

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Ever since last Tuesday, when junior Josh Southern told the Herald some of Boston College’s younger players were considering transferring after coach Al Skinner was fired, BC fans had only once concern: that sophomore guard Reggie Jackson would leave the school.

The next day, a source close to Jackson told the Herald the dynamic playmaker wasn’t going anywhere. While that should have soothed any fears, we’ll go one step further tonight. I spoke with Jackson this afternoon and he addressed his future, admitting that the thought of transferring at least crossed his mind.

“It would be a lie to say it didn’t,” Jackson said. “I never really thought about leaving, but I wasn’t ready to make any decisions.”

Now that Steve Donahue has been hired as BC’s new coach, there is more certainty in Jackson’s future. But there are also new questions as Jackson tries to figure how he’ll fit with a new coach.

“None of us are (going to make a decision) until we get a feel for the coach and see what he’s trying to do with this program – if he’s going to try to bring in his own guys or if he’s going to make us his guys,” Jackson said. “We have to meet him and I have to pick his brain first to see what the best option is for me.”

Jackson and his teammates will get that chance when they meet with Donahue tomorrow at 2:30 p.m. Though Jackson can’t say definitively what his future holds until he meets with Donahue, BC fans can rest assured that he seems too invested in the program to leave.

“Right now, I built a great bond with all these guys from coming in the summer before my freshman year,” Jackson said. “We’re all brothers, we’re a big family. I know it sounds sensitive, but we even cried together (when Skinner was fired). I want to be a leader for this team and step up, but I even had tears to see him go. The bonds that we’ve built just over two years, even in a down season, we really came together.

“It just brought us closer together and I think it’s going to prepare us better for next year. But it’s a business and we’re just preparing ourselves. We have to do our own thing and just try to improve ourselves mentally and physically and then try to fit into the system that coach Donahue brings.”

Jackson is excited about how he’ll fit into Donahue’s system.

“It’s something new, it’s something that we’re all looking forward to and we can’t wait until next year and we can’t wait to get acquainted with coach Donahue and his staff,” Jackson said.

From the herald....I think he stays...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Re: Reggie Jackson Speaks

Postby shockdoct on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 pm

I honestly just wish the team played with the same passion every night that reggie seems to have displayed when speaking of his time here.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 am

More Quotes:
We know (Cornell) liked to shoot,” Jackson said yesterday. “They have great shooters and obviously we’re not as great of a shooting team as they are, but at the same time, they’re not as athletically gifted as we are. I just can’t help but smile and wait and see what happens with this group and what he plans to do in the future with us.”

“We all like to go and run - wish we could have done it more - but that’s what we seek to do,” Jackson said. “When we were being successful at the end of the year, it wasn’t really the offense that much. Offensive sets are just there to train guys and help keep them out of trouble, but at the end of the day you have to let your players go and make basketball plays. - Jackson

“I feel like I’ll fit way better in coach Donahue’s system, but only because of what coach Skinner’s system has done for me. It taught (me) to be more of a true point guard. I learned a lot of great things under him for two years.” -Jackson

“Obviously we love coach Skinner and it was tough to see him go,” junior Joe Trapani said. “No one really expected this, but you have to keep an open mind and be optimistic about next year.”
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 am

Al's players don't think he's lazy cause they are lazy.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:14 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:but, but, but... all of al's players hate him and think he's lazy... oh yeah, and no one learns anything from al...

What do you really expect them to say? No reason to kick Al on the way out. I'm sure he did learn some things from Al, but I would never expect the players would say something bad about him now.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:20 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:but, but, but... all of al's players hate him and think he's lazy... oh yeah, and no one learns anything from al...

What do you really expect them to say? No reason to kick Al on the way out. I'm sure he did learn some things from Al, but I would never expect the players would say something bad about him now.

You are seriously going with this? OJ's theory that Jackson is one of those guys that just walked on campus great, never learned anything, and then credited Al on his way out the door for teaching him how to play PG (which he couldn't do as recently as 5 months ago) just because he felt like being nice to him?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You are seriously going with this? OJ's theory that Jackson is one of those guys that just walked on campus great, never learned anything, and then credited Al on his way out the door for teaching him how to play PG (which he couldn't do as recently as 5 months ago) just because he felt like being nice to him?

I think that if Jackson walked onto campus great and didn't need any coaching, then someone must have done a good job at recruiting him, because those types of players should be coveted by all the top basketball schools. Am I wrong?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

You are seriously going with this? OJ's theory that Jackson is one of those guys that just walked on campus great, never learned anything, and then credited Al on his way out the door for teaching him how to play PG (which he couldn't do as recently as 5 months ago) just because he felt like being nice to him?

Never said that at all. I'm just saying that I would not expect Jackson, or any player to utter a bad word about Al. Jackson saying he learned from Al (which I'm sure he did by the way) means nothing becuase whether he loved Al, hated Al or was totally indifferent toward him he is going to say something positive about him now.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Never said that at all. I'm just saying that I would not expect Jackson, or any player to utter a bad word about Al. Jackson saying he learned from Al (which I'm sure he did by the way) means nothing becuase whether he loved Al, hated Al or was totally indifferent toward him he is going to say something positive about him now.

So I suppose he was just being diplomatic when he said that he cried when he heard Skinner was fired.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Fair enough. And I am just saying that Reggie seemed pretty open and frank about everything else he was quoted on, so I have no reason not to believe he was being honest about what he said about Al.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:29 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

So I suppose he was just being diplomatic when he said that he cried when he heard Skinner was fired.

Ease up. I made one comment in response to TRE who was dripping with sarcasm and hyperbole making a big thing about Jackson saying he learned from Al. I honestly have no effing idea what the players think of Skinner and frankly I don't care.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:33 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Ease up. I made one comment in response to TRE who was dripping with sarcasm and hyperbole making a big thing about Jackson saying he learned from Al. I honestly have no effing idea what the players think of Skinner and frankly I don't care.

let's not use one quote from Jackson that he learned to play PG better under Al to make the giant leap that Al was some sort of guru at player development...hell, Jackson also pointed out that they essentially played the wrong system based on the team's talents because of Al.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:39 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

let's not use one quote from Jackson that he learned to play PG better under Al to make the giant leap that Al was some sort of guru at player development...hell, Jackson also pointed out that they essentially played the wrong system based on the team's talents because of Al.

Like a marionette puppet, it does what its told.

So damn predictable OJ.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:40 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

"I talked out of my ass without thinking it through so now that I'm being called out on it, I'll just tell everyone to lighten up."

Wasn't this the same tactic you used when you openly pined for Paul Hewitt?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 am

talon {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You are seriously going with this? OJ's theory that Jackson is one of those guys that just walked on campus great, never learned anything, and then credited Al on his way out the door for teaching him how to play PG (which he couldn't do as recently as 5 months ago) just because he felt like being nice to him?

I think that if Jackson walked onto campus great and didn't need any coaching, then someone must have done a good job at recruiting him, because those types of players should be coveted by all the top basketball schools. Am I wrong?

You are right and all credit goes to Coen.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

then why did you feel the need to comment in the first place?

Becuase you implied that the comment meant something more than it did. That's all. Sorry I didn't realize you were the only one who gets to call someone out for overstating something.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

"I talked out of my ass without thinking it through so now that I'm being called out on it, I'll just tell everyone to lighten up."

Wasn't this the same tactic you used when you openly pined for Paul Hewitt?

OK TRE and Teddy I have some respect for. You can go fuck yourself. I did not talk out of my ass, I simply said the comment by Jackson can't be taken to mean much. I stand by that. I am not saying Jackson didn't learn from him. I am not saying jackson didn;t love him. I have no fucking idea what Jackson feels.

And I never once pined for Hewitt. I believe I said I'd take him over Al because they both suck as game coaches but at least Hewitt could recruit. Nice reading comprehension though douchebag,
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 am

i'm still looking for something that is inaccurate in Art's statement. He said, correctly, that the players weren't going to say anything bad about Skinner and that they probably did learn something from him.

:shrug
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:i'm still looking for something that is inaccurate in Art's statement. He said, correctly, that the players weren't going to say anything bad about Skinner and that they probably did learn something from him.

The implication was that in an article full of quotes from Jackson that seemed shockingly honest, including an admission that transfer was a possibility, that the Al quotes were nothing more than lip service. I find that to be doing Reggie a disservice, and is an attempt to crap on Al even when his players are supporting him. Art clarified, but I still don't agree with his point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

You are right and all credit goes to Coen.

Or Cooley (just to hedge the way Juice would since he has no clue who to give credit to and has never differentiated between the two outside of black v. white and like v. like more).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am

How about this for the team..

Put down the cheesesteaks, bongs and STFU and hustle, play and get some floor burns.

Impress Stevie D. and make us proud.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:OK TRE and Teddy I have some respect for. You can go fuck yourself. I did not talk out of my ass, I simply said the comment by Jackson can't be taken to mean much. I stand by that. I am not saying Jackson didn't learn from him. I am not saying jackson didn;t love him. I have no fucking idea what Jackson feels.

And I never once pined for Hewitt. I believe I said I'd take him over Al because they both suck as game coaches but at least Hewitt could recruit. Nice reading comprehension though douchebag,

Someone's wearing his cranky pants today. :cry:
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:28 am

I am the straw that stirs the drink and I put fannnies in the seats.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 74's Gay Lover on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:06 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I am the straw that stirs the drink and I put fannnies in the seats.

You got that right!
74's Gay Lover
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:15 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:i'm still looking for something that is inaccurate in Art's statement. He said, correctly, that the players weren't going to say anything bad about Skinner and that they probably did learn something from him.

How is this for starters...it is fucking apsurd that every single negative comment written about Skinner is 100% true but anything remotely positive or in Skinner's defense one of you jackasses makes some excuse for why it can't be true. Unfuckingbelievable.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

How is this for starters...it is fucking apsurd that every single negative comment written about Skinner is 100% true but anything remotely positive or in Skinner's defense one of you jackasses makes some excuse for why it can't be true. Unfuckingbelievable.

Breathe deep. Inhale. Exhale. Slowly. And again. Inhale...slowly...and...exhale.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:45 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Another one with reading comprehension issues....I never said it wasn't true...I basically just said take it with a grain of salt.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Another one with reading comprehension issues....I never said it wasn't true...I basically just said take it with a grain of salt.

Cadillac isn't even responding to you. Are you sure everyone else are the ones who need to calm down?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:48 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Take it with a grain of salt is essentially saying it is not true. :backpedal

Oh, and this isn't the first time, it's with everything written in the press.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Take it with a grain of salt is essentially saying it is not true. :backpedal

Oh, and this isn't the first time, it's with everything written in the press.

No it means that regardless of what he feels he is not going to say something negative so you can't take it as gospel. I am not saying its not true I am simply saying you can just assume it is the complete story. I don't know Reggie and have no idea how he feels. What I do know is if he had something negative to say he would not say it now. My guess is like most people, he hasees positives and negatives with Al and now he is focused on the positives, and rightly so.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum