Reggie Jackson Speaks

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Reggie Jackson Speaks

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:54 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:i'm still looking for something that is inaccurate in Art's statement. He said, correctly, that the players weren't going to say anything bad about Skinner and that they probably did learn something from him.

:shrug

How is this for starters...it is fucking apsurd that every single negative comment written about Skinner is 100% true but anything remotely positive or in Skinner's defense one of you jackasses makes some excuse for why it can't be true. Unfuckingbelievable.

Another one with reading comprehension issues....I never said it wasn't true...I basically just said take it with a grain of salt.

Cadillac isn't even responding to you. Are you sure everyone else are the ones who need to calm down?

And I wasn't responding to you
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:i'm still looking for something that is inaccurate in Art's statement. He said, correctly, that the players weren't going to say anything bad about Skinner and that they probably did learn something from him.

How is this for starters...it is fucking apsurd that every single negative comment written about Skinner is 100% true but anything remotely positive or in Skinner's defense one of you jackasses makes some excuse for why it can't be true. Unfuckingbelievable.

Another one with reading comprehension issues....I never said it wasn't true...I basically just said take it with a grain of salt.

Take it with a grain of salt is essentially saying it is not true. :backpedal

Oh, and this isn't the first time, it's with everything written in the press.

No it means that regardless of what he feels he is not going to say something negative so you can't take it as gospel. I am not saying its not true I am simply saying you can just assume it is the complete story. I don't know Reggie and have no idea how he feels. What I do know is if he had something negative to say he would not say it now. My guess is like most people, he hasees positives and negatives with Al and now he is focused on the positives, and rightly so.

However, as Teddy pointed out, given the sincerety with the rest of his statements, you can easily conclude that he was being honest and not just "trying not to kick the guy in the ass on his way out."
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

No it means that regardless of what he feels he is not going to say something negative so you can't take it as gospel. I am not saying its not true I am simply saying you can just assume it is the complete story. I don't know Reggie and have no idea how he feels. What I do know is if he had something negative to say he would not say it now. My guess is like most people, he hasees positives and negatives with Al and now he is focused on the positives, and rightly so.

However, as Teddy pointed out, given the sincerety with the rest of his statements, you can easily conclude that he was being honest and not just "trying not to kick the guy in the ass on his way out."

Personally I am making no conclusions. That was my point. As I said, I think that he did learn things from Al, so yes what he was saying is true, but I don't think you can assume that's the whole picture becuase if there were negatives to go along with it he would obviously leave them out. TREs implication was this statement by Jackson negated all of the negative things that have been said about Al and that is all I was refuting. Not sure why your panties are all in a bunch over it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 am

This :slapfight sucks.

There, I said it.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:This :slapfight sucks.

There, I said it.

Agreed

I understand Art's point. I just don't agree with it. I think his argument would be better if he accused Reggie of Stockholm Syndrome. But I have no doubt the kid is being sincere.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Personally I am making no conclusions. That was my point. As I said, I think that he did learn things from Al, so yes what he was saying is true, but I don't think you can assume that's the whole picture becuase if there were negatives to go along with it he would obviously leave them out. TREs implication was this statement by Jackson negated all of the negative things that have been said about Al and that is all I was refuting. Not sure why your panties are all in a bunch over it.

my implication was that they players DID learn something from al - something than many herein claim doesn't happen (and throw up some innocuous dudley quote from 2 years ago as support time and again).

it seems that you are supporting the same thing that i said - that the players learned some things from al and that some may even like them... yet you argued against my point - which right now has me scratching my head.

sure - the players probably don't like EVERYTHING about al and probably didn't learn EVERYTHING about basketballing from al (and i never claimed that they did) but for the most part they liked the guy (or just watched purple rain and that's what made them cry moreso than al's departure) and even picked up a thing or two about basketball from the guy. if you go back and read what i wrote... that's what i was alluding to when you had to play internet superhero and tell me i was wrong (and then eventually admit that i was right - but yet somehow state that i was wrong by over stating what i stated in the first place).

at the end of the day, apology accepted

My initial comment was simply that while the positive things were probably true, if there was negative to go with it he would not have said it in this situation. Seems like a simple factual statement that a bunch of you took as a swipe at Al.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

my implication was that they players DID learn something from al - something than many herein claim doesn't happen (and throw up some innocuous dudley quote from 2 years ago as support time and again).

it seems that you are supporting the same thing that i said - that the players learned some things from al and that some may even like them... yet you argued against my point - which right now has me scratching my head.

sure - the players probably don't like EVERYTHING about al and probably didn't learn EVERYTHING about basketballing from al (and i never claimed that they did) but for the most part they liked the guy (or just watched purple rain and that's what made them cry moreso than al's departure) and even picked up a thing or two about basketball from the guy. if you go back and read what i wrote... that's what i was alluding to when you had to play internet superhero and tell me i was wrong (and then eventually admit that i was right - but yet somehow state that i was wrong by over stating what i stated in the first place).

at the end of the day, apology accepted

My initial comment was simply that while the positive things were probably true, if there was negative to go with it he would not have said it in this situation. Seems like a simple factual statement that a bunch of you took as a swipe at Al.

A fair and entirely non-controversial point. However, you likely forgot that every thread on this board inevitably turns into TW, et al. v. OJ/Eagledom et al.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum