Steve Donahue’s first comments as BC coach

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Steve Donahue’s first comments as BC coach

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Finally got Donahue on the phone tonight for a 10-minute chat. Some highlights:

Why he thought BC was a home run: "I would say it's one of the few places in America that I feel is one of the best academic institutions, that can compete for a national championship in basketball. So I think I don't have to take any shortcuts, and I can do everything that I've always done to recruit great kids with academic desires and then get an opportunity to play in what I consider to be the best basketball conference in the country.

"When I thought about leaving Cornell, I always thought it could only be something like this. I didn't necessarily think I was going to leave Cornell, but I said if it had to be, it had to be this kind of situation where it's just so good academically and so good basketball-wise, in a great city, that that's probably my best move."

Why he thinks he can win at a program like BC, which is separated from the southern-based ACC: "I see where it's located in one of the best cities in America, a great institution in a tremendous league. I actually think it's an advantage that you're not sitting among six ACC schools and a kid's got to pick one of them. What we can do is we can recruit locally and nationally and recruit kids that want a great basketball team, a great education and a great city. I don't see that as a disadvantage."

This from the Ithaca Journal/Boston Herald

THIS IS A BASKETBALL COACH...I'm genuinely exited for the rally tomorrow...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Re: Steve Donahue’s first comments as BC coach

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Finally got Donahue on the phone tonight for a 10-minute chat. Some highlights:

Why he thought BC was a home run: "I would say it's one of the few places in America that I feel is one of the best academic institutions, that can compete for a national championship in basketball. So I think I don't have to take any shortcuts, and I can do everything that I've always done to recruit great kids with academic desires and then get an opportunity to play in what I consider to be the best basketball conference in the country.

"When I thought about leaving Cornell, I always thought it could only be something like this. I didn't necessarily think I was going to leave Cornell, but I said if it had to be, it had to be this kind of situation where it's just so good academically and so good basketball-wise, in a great city, that that's probably my best move."

Why he thinks he can win at a program like BC, which is separated from the southern-based ACC: "I see where it's located in one of the best cities in America, a great institution in a tremendous league. I actually think it's an advantage that you're not sitting among six ACC schools and a kid's got to pick one of them. What we can do is we can recruit locally and nationally and recruit kids that want a great basketball team, a great education and a great city. I don't see that as a disadvantage."

A-fucking-men, Coach Don. A-fucking-men.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby totheights on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:37 am

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Finally got Donahue on the phone tonight for a 10-minute chat. Some highlights:

This bolded is what I like to see.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:02 am

Glorious sunset of my heart was fading. Soon the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Donahue has fancy plans...and pants to match. The monkey clown horrible karate round and yummy like cute small baby chick would beat the donkey.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:47 am

That HUGE RED FONT was for 9 and the rest of the Lazy Elvis lackies and fans who argued with me tooth and nail for 3-4 years and also the very words and comments out of that Lazy Elvis's mouth for those years, that he could not recruit here a BC, and Lazy Elvis shuttered BC with a negative canopy and dome of doom.

Lazy Elvis and also the TOBlunders0-13 and his ceiling comment of 8 or 9 wins --STAINED the greatest University in the Galaxy.

You won't see 74 on no stinkin' goodbye and thank lazy Elvis or did you on the old TOblunders0-13 thanks threads...not today....not ever!!!

:74

I say we -resign him to an extension after that statement which is what I, you, the dog and the BC faithful have been wanting to hear for 10 years or more!

This guy has a lot of Jerry York in him and deserved the job. After that, I am driving that bandwagon!!

WOW..WOW!!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 am

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:

PRE--

74 thanks you.

BC thanks you.

You are poster of the millennium....whatever that big word means...

Super...fantastic...like I said...3 years BC is in Final Four....even if he comes up short....you know he is giving it his all like Cornell.

That is all you can ask of a talented guy...if he can't do it, then at least you hired an X and O guy who is dedicated to hitting the raod and recruiting?

It's like a dream come true.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:57 am

By the way, I bet Lazy Elvis in order to pump up his resume and image might just pull a TOBlunders0-13 and start zinging, and knocking my alma mater?

I hope he has more class than that and just goes away quietly!!

Just go away and STFU as the Rec Plex's leading scorer.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:06 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Image
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:30 am

I like what I'm hearing from "The Don."

First time the words "national championship" have been uttered by a BC coach since the Tom Coughlin era (excluding Jerry York, of course).
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:51 am

You had me at hello.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:53 am

When Jags said something like this, he was a snake-oil salesman
When Donahue says something like this, erections for everyone!
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:54 am

These quotes remind me a bit of the early Jags press conferences. I hope Donahue brings the same kind of excitement to the hoops team. For the first time in years, I find myself more than just marginally excited about BC Basketball.

:banana :cheer :elephant :cheer :banana :chewbanka
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

talon {l Wrote}:When Jags said something like this, he was a snake-oil salesman

That's not true. I would say about 95% of the board was loving Jags speak in 2006/2007. But his talkin skills noticeably declined in 2008. The 2008 Gridiron Dinner was like night and day from 2007. Not saying he became a snake-oil salesman at that point, just not as much of a salesman.

Time for board regulars to call me a TOB lover who enjoys mediocrity!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's not true. I would say about 95% of the board was loving Jags speak in 2006/2007. But his talkin skills noticeably declined in 2008. The 2008 Gridiron Dinner was like night and day from 2007. Not saying he became a snake-oil salesman at that point, just not as much of a salesman.

at the time, no.
revisionist history, definitely.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Image

I am coming after you as soon as I change into my astronaut man diaper.

Go look at the trhead after eagle maniac post and my comments about Stevie D.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Just go away and STFU as the Rec Plex's leading scorer.

BEAUTY!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

at the time, no.
revisionist history, definitely.

Ok, well, the board may do the same thing to Donahue if there are some bumps in the road.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:04 am

Even though he was looking to leave after two years, Jags was absolutely awesome for the football program and I would do it all over again right now if I could. There, I said it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

BEAUTY!

I've noticed you're quite the 74 ball washer. Congrats on that!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Even though he was looking to leave after two years, Jags was absolutely awesome for the football program and I would do it all over again right now if I could. There, I said it.

Jags was good, but he had a tremendous staff.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Even though he was looking to leave after two years, Jags was absolutely awesome for the football program and I would do it all over again right now if I could. There, I said it.

FIrst smart thing you have said all year bandwagon hopper. :lol: :lol:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:

FIrst smart thing you have said all year bandwagon hopper. :lol: :lol:

I know, its terrible. 3/4 of the time I agree with you.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:09 am

TW, wtf happened to your Karma?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:10 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:TW, wtf happened to your Karma?

What do you mean?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:11 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

BEAUTY!

I've noticed the same. In a small way I appreciate it because he'll quote a somewhat decent 74 line that I did not see because I rarely read his posts.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

What do you mean?

When I exalted your Jags "there I said it" post, I noticed that it has dropped precipitously.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 74's Gay Lover on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:13 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
I am cuming after you as soon as I change into my astronaut man diaper.

I love it when you talk dirty!
74's Gay Lover
n00b

Postby talon on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

What do you mean?

When I exalted your Jags "there I said it" post, I noticed that it has dropped precipitously.

OJ must be bored at work. He likes to spend 15-20 minutes at a time searching users old posts and giving them negative karma.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:18 am

talon {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

What do you mean?

OJ must be bored at work. He likes to spend 15-20 minutes at a time searching users old posts and giving them negative karma.

BigPete did that to me a few times, but it seems he got bored with it. I doubt he'd do that to TW.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:21 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

BEAUTY!

I've noticed the same. In a small way I appreciate it because he'll quote a somewhat decent 74 line that I did not see because I rarely read his posts.

You have taken over the new title...

baby maker!

Enjoy!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum