Assistants

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Assistants

Postby bcaddict on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 am

I haven't heard that Gallagher was a done deal quite yet, tho likely.

If it comes down to Duq v. Jones, and both want it, Jones will win out. But I really hope Duq stays (at the expense of one of the other two). Murphy is still a good bet too.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 am

http://twitter.com/GoodmanOnFox
Jeff Goodman is twittering that Graham and Gallagher are both coming with Donahue. Do you think OJ will give my sources credit for CORRECTLY PREDICTING these two random names would both be a part of the staff????

As I said late last night, it looks like the Associate Head Coach job will make this either an All White staff (with Duquette) or an All Ivy staff (with Jones). I still am assuming Murphy remains as DBO.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:00 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:I haven't heard that Gallagher was a done deal quite yet, tho likely.

If it comes down to Duq v. Jones, and both want it, Jones will win out. But I really hope Duq stays (at the expense of one of the other two). Murphy is still a good bet too.

Assuming Jones wants it, that is a must get. Given the open questions about recruiting, he is like the Don's Logan (albeit recruiting wise, not strategy wise).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://twitter.com/GoodmanOnFox
Jeff Goodman is twittering that Graham and Gallagher are both coming with Donahue. Do you think OJ will give my sources credit for CORRECTLY PREDICTING these two random names would both be a part of the staff????

As I said late last night, it looks like the Associate Head Coach job will make this either an All White staff (with Duquette) or an All Ivy staff (with Jones). I still am assuming Murphy remains as DBO.

ahhh, so Gallagher is now official. Damn. They won't go all white. Book that.

Agreed, tw, I think Jones is a huge get if possible.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://twitter.com/GoodmanOnFox

Graham is kind of necessary, as the Don needs a coach that can focus on game preparation in his system. The rest of the guys should be recruiters. Which is why I have no friggin clue why Duke is in the picture. I have no problem with retaining Murphy as DBO, but I see no reason to keep (or force) Duke on the staff.

In the same vein, unless Gallagher has some unreported ties to Philly hoop, that hire would be perplexing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:I haven't heard that Gallagher was a done deal quite yet, tho likely.

Assuming Jones wants it, that is a must get. Given the open questions about recruiting, he is like the Don's Logan (albeit recruiting wise, not strategy wise).

yup, ball is in jones' court...
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Laughing.Jackal on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:07 pm

From Goodman a few minutes ago:

"# Sources told FOXSports.com that Columbia coach Joe Jones is weighing offer from Steve Donahue to join staff at Boston College. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck "
Laughing.Jackal
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 pm

From Goodman: Sources told FOXSports.com that Columbia coach Joe Jones is weighing offer from Steve Donahue to join staff at Boston College.
9 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Hopefully he comes.

Also, TW, Gallagher does have Philly ties. From his UPenn bio:

Gallagher played an integral role in Hartford’s recent success. In 2007-08, the Hawks won a school-record 18 games and earned their highest-ever finish (tie for second) in the America East regular season standings. Hartford also advanced to the final of the America East Championship for the first time in school history. Under Gallagher’s guidance, the Hawks ranked third in the America East in scoring (70.8 ppg) and set a school and conference record for three-pointers in a single season (312).

Gallagher's presence on the staff gives Penn a coach with significant Philadelphia and Big 5 ties.

Before coming to Hartford, Gallagher spent the previous two seasons as the top assistant at Lafayette College on Fran O’Hanlon’s staff, serving as that program’s top recruiter. He was also in charge of developing the team’s guards.

Gallagher arrived at Lafayette by way of La Salle University, where he coached five seasons -- two under Big 5 legend Speedy Morris, and three under Billy Hahn. He jumped right into coaching upon graduation from Saint Joseph’s University in 1999.

Gallagher’s coaching tenure followed a successful playing career at Saint Joseph’s, where he was a guard for three seasons and a member of the 1996 squad that advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:From Goodman: Sources told FOXSports.com that Columbia coach Joe Jones is weighing offer from Steve Donahue to join staff at Boston College.

Hopefully he comes.

Gallagher played an integral role in Hartford’s recent success. In 2007-08, the Hawks won a school-record 18 games and earned their highest-ever finish (tie for second) in the America East regular season standings. Hartford also advanced to the final of the America East Championship for the first time in school history. Under Gallagher’s guidance, the Hawks ranked third in the America East in scoring (70.8 ppg) and set a school and conference record for three-pointers in a single season (312).

Gallagher's presence on the staff gives Penn a coach with significant Philadelphia and Big 5 ties.

Before coming to Hartford, Gallagher spent the previous two seasons as the top assistant at Lafayette College on Fran O’Hanlon’s staff, serving as that program’s top recruiter. He was also in charge of developing the team’s guards.

Gallagher arrived at Lafayette by way of La Salle University, where he coached five seasons -- two under Big 5 legend Speedy Morris, and three under Billy Hahn. He jumped right into coaching upon graduation from Saint Joseph’s University in 1999.

Gallagher’s coaching tenure followed a successful playing career at Saint Joseph’s, where he was a guard for three seasons and a member of the 1996 squad that advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

I know he has ties to Philly. He coaches at Penn. The question is whether he has ties to Philly recruiting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:11 pm

On another note, it is good to see Goodman taking that douche Mannix to task.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:13 pm

Laughing.Jackal {l Wrote}:From Goodman a few minutes ago:

"# Sources told FOXSports.com that Columbia coach Joe Jones is weighing offer from Steve Donahue to join staff at Boston College. 7 minutes ago via TweetDeck "

yup, he offered the top job to him yesterday--I believe Duq is a fallback candidate.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby InTheKnow on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm

TW hit it right on the nail. The Boston Metro this morning said Donahue got "Street Cred" my question to them is on what streets? He may have philadelphia ties but let's be real he's not out recruiting Temple or Villanova and even those 2 schools battle it out with St. Joe's
InTheKnow
n00b

Postby totheights on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:17 pm

Uh oh.........all white coaching staff
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:From Goodman: Sources told FOXSports.com that Columbia coach Joe Jones is weighing offer from Steve Donahue to join staff at Boston College.

Hopefully he comes.

I know he has ties to Philly. He coaches at Penn. The question is whether he has ties to Philly recruiting.

Well, the next paragraphs discuss his recruiting at Lafayette and prior at LaSalle. And playing at St. Joes. Top off the fact that they're playing up his Philly/Big 5 ties as a reason why he was hired at UPenn, and I think its a safe assumption that he would, no?
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:24 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Gallagher’s coaching tenure followed a successful playing career at Saint Joseph’s, where he was a guard for three seasons and a member of the 1996 squad that advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

Umm... wasn't that the 1997 St. Joe's squad that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen? If so, that team barely beat one of the great BC teams in the Second Round. 1997 was the year that Scoonie Penn and Danya Abrams won the Big East Tourney. That season began with Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina being rejected by admissions and ended with a contract extension that pulled when JOB leaked the lax recruiting piece to the press. Ultimately, JOB left for OSU... took Scoonie with him... counselled the entire team to transfer... and then sued the school alleging racism. Skinner was hired and that was the mess he was left to clean up.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Either Reggie is just making assumptions, or the team was informed the assistants won't be back. From the Herald on the players' reactions to Al's dismissal:

“I see it as more people to look back to,” Jackson said. “I know I can call him and any of the old coaches – coach Duq (Pat Duquette), coach Mo, coach Bonz (Bonzie Colson) and coach Murph (Preston Murphy) – for anything I need help with. I’m sure they’ll still be watching from the background, critiquing my game.”
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:33 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:That season began with Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina being rejected by admissions

I don't think you mean Pina. I moved into my freshman dorm (Duch East) in 96 and Dwayne Pina was directly across the hall. So admissions didn't deny him. Unless there was something where he was allowed to enroll but not on scholarship? If so, I'd never heard that one before.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:35 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:That season began with Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina being rejected by admissions

I don't think you mean Pina. I moved into my freshman dorm (Duch East) in 96 and Dwayne Pina was directly across the hall. So admissions didn't deny him. Unless there was something where he was allowed to enroll but not on scholarship? If so, I'd never heard that one before.

I think he means DePina. Or something like that.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:36 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

I think he means DePina. Or something like that.

Jonathan DePina? Sounds familiar...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:37 pm

yeah john depina who went to UMASS, Pina was the kid with a heart issue that stopped his career
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:38 pm

WilpertsRevenge {l Wrote}:yeah john depina who went to UMASS, Pina was the kid with a heart issue that stopped his career

Didn't know Pina well, but he always seemed like a hell of a nice guy, and did a solid job as a walk-on starting at PG for us.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Either Reggie is just making assumptions, or the team was informed the assistants won't be back. From the Herald on the players' reactions to Al's dismissal:

“I see it as more people to look back to,” Jackson said. “I know I can call him and any of the old coaches – coach Duq (Pat Duquette), coach Mo, coach Bonz (Bonzie Colson) and coach Murph (Preston Murphy) – for anything I need help with. I’m sure they’ll still be watching from the background, critiquing my game.”

It's not really a huge reach. The way things are going, most, if not all, of Al's staff will be replaced.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:42 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:Either Reggie is just making assumptions, or the team was informed the assistants won't be back. From the Herald on the players' reactions to Al's dismissal:

It's not really a huge reach. The way things are going, most, if not all, of Al's staff will be replaced.

Well it contradicts recent talk here about Murphy definitely coming back and Duke coming back if Jones turns us down.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:51 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

Well it contradicts recent talk here about Murphy definitely coming back and Duke coming back if Jones turns us down.

Murphy I could see returning, but I don't know what his status is. I'm guessing/hoping Jones won't turn it down but I wouldn't know.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm

I don't have many sources, but the one that I do have absolutely raves about Jones. Says he would be a great hire for BC.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:06 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:

Duq and Murphy are still in limbo, depending on Jones.

Mo is obvi gone (hired immediately) even tho some around here think he was the reason for this team sucking (see Colson and Skinman IMO).
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby BrightonEagle on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:08 pm

does anyone know how much jones makes at columbia and (ballpark) how much he would make at bc?
BrightonEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:20 pm

BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:does anyone know how much jones makes at columbia and (ballpark) how much he would make at bc?

Can't imagine he makes much north of 250-300. But his motivation to come would be more about getting back on track for a real D1 head job.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BC '00 on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BrightonEagle {l Wrote}:does anyone know how much jones makes at columbia and (ballpark) how much he would make at bc?

Can't imagine he makes much north of 250-300. But his motivation to come would be more about getting back on track for a real D1 head job.

Hard to imagine he'd take a significant pay cut though. What could a top assistant expect to make at BC? I would guess around that range, but have no real idea.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:Gallagher’s coaching tenure followed a successful playing career at Saint Joseph’s, where he was a guard for three seasons and a member of the 1996 squad that advanced to the NCAA Tournament Sweet 16.

Umm... wasn't that the 1997 St. Joe's squad that advanced to the Sweet Sixteen? If so, that team barely beat one of the great BC teams in the Second Round. 1997 was the year that Scoonie Penn and Danya Abrams won the Big East Tourney. That season began with Elton Tyler and Dwayne Pina being rejected by admissions and ended with a contract extension that pulled when JOB leaked the lax recruiting piece to the press. Ultimately, JOB left for OSU... took Scoonie with him... counselled the entire team to transfer... and then sued the school alleging racism. Skinner was hired and that was the mess he was left to clean up.

Scoonie had been dismissed from BC for poor grades. I am not sure since he was a local he would have gone with JOB if not for having to find a new school. JOB made a point of mentioning how well Scoonie was doing in school in the spring of '98 when BC was playing Ohio State in the Frozen 4 and he was asked about the game. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum