How many people will buy season tickets this week?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

How many people will buy season tickets this week?

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:48 pm

?
talon
Cushing Hall

Re: How many people will buy season tickets this week?

Postby joemack13 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 pm

i didn't last year - this year i'll consider it but i think someone in my family will already have. I'm definitely much more likely to buy tickets this year though, so maybe Gene's doing something right - or atleast mediocre to above average
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:30 pm

I don't know that hiring Donahue will drive a lot of season ticket sales. Most people who are not already fans won't know who he is. I was going to renew mine regardless of Al getting fire or who the coach was going to be.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Season tickets won't be turned around with merely a hire. That'll come from a turnaround in performance, more local media attention and overall "buzz". What you hope this does (and what Donahue will be tasked with doing between now and November) is get the students re-energized so that they come out better next year, which is what you really want in a college venue anyway. The professional crowd which sits on its hands and eats hard pretzels all game aren't making or breaking this program. But having 300 students show up to a game just kills any atmosphere you try to create.

I would hope there is a similar effect to what Jagz did for football here. I was in school for the tailend of the TOB era and student attendence for kickoff was dreadful by the end of his tenure (and overall excitement was only kickstarted by the move to the ACC...but had already begun tailing off again by the next season). I remember my first game back as an alum was the Wake game with Jagz...coming into the game right as kickoff was happening and being SHOCKED that the student section was full at that time. I remembered coming into games late in the 1st quarter (or later) and still getting good spots in that area.

Thats the kind of effect I think a Donohue can have immediately for next season. Of course, no matter how much campaigning or selling he does, or how much more exciting the brand of play will be...if we have 10 wins next year, attendence isn't going to be great. That was obviously a big part of the Jagz "bump" - the team was fantastic that year. But hopefully Donahue recognizes this as one of the things he's going to need to work hard at early in his tenure and makes overtures toward Gene and the ticket department to figure out a system that works.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

talon {l Wrote}:?

0, season tickets for next season are not on sale this week for basketball. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:56 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Season tickets won't be turned around with merely a hire. That'll come from a turnaround in performance, more local media attention and overall "buzz". What you hope this does (and what Donahue will be tasked with doing between now and November) is get the students re-energized so that they come out better next year, which is what you really want in a college venue anyway. The professional crowd which sits on its hands and eats hard pretzels all game aren't making or breaking this program. But having 300 students show up to a game just kills any atmosphere you try to create.

I would hope there is a similar effect to what Jagz did for football here. I was in school for the tailend of the TOB era and student attendence for kickoff was dreadful by the end of his tenure (and overall excitement was only kickstarted by the move to the ACC...but had already begun tailing off again by the next season). I remember my first game back as an alum was the Wake game with Jagz...coming into the game right as kickoff was happening and being SHOCKED that the student section was full at that time. I remembered coming into games late in the 1st quarter (or later) and still getting good spots in that area.

Thats the kind of effect I think a Donohue can have immediately for next season. Of course, no matter how much campaigning or selling he does, or how much more exciting the brand of play will be...if we have 10 wins next year, attendence isn't going to be great. That was obviously a big part of the Jagz "bump" - the team was fantastic that year. But hopefully Donahue recognizes this as one of the things he's going to need to work hard at early in his tenure and makes overtures toward Gene and the ticket department to figure out a system that works.

Agreed, very good post overall several things:
1) 300? We were lucky to hit 50 at a lot of these games & we have drawn out the reasons why ad nauseum.
2) Considering how Gene made several points as to relation to the students & alums on both the coach & the players level throughout the press conference/interviews I believe this is something that was discussed in the interview process. Donahue knows that he's walking into, a fan base that is more apathetic than any other team I've ever rooted for.
3) Jags was great in the sense of energizing the crowd to the point where students show up and stay for the entire game (if I put pictures up from TOBs last home game it obviously wasn't the case). Now hopefully Spazoo, McGoo & Topoo don't ruin it with their 10 yard cushions.
4) We have all been over this as well, a big-time coach (Pearl) would cause a huge spike in season tickets. Considering all the UNC & Duke packs they have, the $10 games!, & no fee games! that didn't exist 4 years ago season tickets are way down. I would have paid for two as a 1st year alum with basketball as my 3rd sport.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby EagleManiac66 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if Cornell had a "Midnight Madness" event last October? It would be a big step if Donahue and his assistant coaches could reinvigorate the student body by holding such an event at BC this year.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle !
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:02 pm

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know if Cornell had a "Midnight Madness" event last October? It would be a big step if Donahue and his assistant coaches could reinvigorate the student body by holding such an event at BC this year.

Based on the comments section in the attached it appears not:

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2 ... ue_15.html
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

The difficult thing for hoops is going to be that it relies more on the local population. Alumni who live a decent distance from Boston are never going to buy hoops season tickets, because there's no way we're making it up for more than a couple of games...just too many games on too many bad nights. That being said, there are a lot less seats to fill in Conte. Still, you have to energize the local alumni and hope to get some non BC people from the area interested. It still boggles my mind that families in Newton, Brookline, Brighton, Allston, etc, don't show more for BC sports. Much better way to check out a game with your kid than going to see the Celtics or Bruins or Patriots.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks Art. Hopefully, things can be different at BC. I'll be disappointed if we don't see significant renewed enthusiasm. However, I don't expect to see things change overnight.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:09 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:The difficult thing for hoops is going to be that it relies more on the local population. Alumni who live a decent distance from Boston are never going to buy hoops season tickets, because there's no way we're making it up for more than a couple of games...just too many games on too many bad nights. That being said, there are a lot less seats to fill in Conte. Still, you have to energize the local alumni and hope to get some non BC people from the area interested. It still boggles my mind that families in Newton, Brookline, Brighton, Allston, etc, don't show more for BC sports. Much better way to check out a game with your kid than going to see the Celtics or Bruins or Patriots.

Totally agree with you that more people from the surrounding towns don't attend more games. The key really is the students though. The student numbers are embarassing for a school with the number of kids BC has. That needs to be the focus. Students should not have to pay for tickets to start.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby FirstDownSyndrome on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:11 pm

“Every chance I get to walk in snow, I take it. Everyone here makes fun of me for it because I love to jump in the snow.” - Chase Rettig
FirstDownSyndrome
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:13 pm

Midnight Madness is an overrated way to get the fan base excited IMO. How about the program provide some substance rather than glitter and glowsticks?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:15 pm

Just got that. Nice, will definitely attend.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:22 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Midnight Madness is an overrated way to get the fan base excited IMO. How about the program provide some substance rather than glitter and glowsticks?

I disagree. Bring on the glowsticks. When I was a kid BC sold popcorn in cone shaped things. They were gold, and had a maroon football, hockey, and basketball player on the outside. After you ate your popcorn you could pop out the button at the narrow end of the cone and you had a megaphone just like the cheerleaders used. I still have one, but it doesn't smell like butter anymore.

Holy crap! That is 400x better than the bags they currently sell in. Bring stuff like this back!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:31 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Midnight Madness is an overrated way to get the fan base excited IMO. How about the program provide some substance rather than glitter and glowsticks?

I disagree. Bring on the glowsticks. When I was a kid BC sold popcorn in cone shaped things. They were gold, and had a maroon football, hockey, and basketball player on the outside. After you ate your popcorn you could pop out the button at the narrow end of the cone and you had a megaphone just like the cheerleaders used. I still have one, but it doesn't smell like butter anymore.

I say whatever you can do to get people excited do it. Midnight Madness, popcorn megaphones, glitter, glowsticks, halftime skank polls....whatever it takes.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:35 pm

People complained about it (and rightfully so since the Athletic Dept did a woeful job of advertising it), but I remember the "camp out at Conte" thing they had for our first BBall season in the ACC to get your season tickets and that was a good time. Dudley Marshall and Smith were walking around hanging out with people who were waiting...people brought couches, computers and speakers, beers in nalgene bottles and travel coffee mugs, etc. Got you excited for the season...made the program feel elite.

Now the team was great that year which had a lot to do with it, but getting the students excited enough to show up in droves to hang out in Conte for tickets would be a good sign. I'd be shocked if more than 50 kids would go now.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:12 pm

Midnight madness is seriously overrated. I went to one this year and it was brutal.

The only way I could see it working is if you did it in the Power Gym and packed the place.
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:Does anyone know if Cornell had a "Midnight Madness" event last October? It would be a big step if Donahue and his assistant coaches could reinvigorate the student body by holding such an event at BC this year.

you midnight madeness people crack me up. we can't get fans to a 9 o'clock game against a conference foe yet you expect to pack the house for midnight madness... how utterly discouraging that would be for the team - to put on dunking exhibitions for 18 people in old timely kerchiefs and caps

It's for the students. There are very few midnight movie showings to compete against.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:28 pm

What would have been the best BC dunk exhibition? Ludmil Hadjisotirov vs John Beerbohm in 2000?
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:29 pm

C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:What would have been the best BC dunk exhibition? Ludmil Hadjisotirov vs John Beerbohm in 2000?

Antonio Granger wins historical dunk contest hands down.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:What would have been the best BC dunk exhibition? Ludmil Hadjisotirov vs John Beerbohm in 2000?

But what about a contest at 10 pm (midnight madness is never at midnight anymore) in an empty gym in October with players who played at the same time?
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:33 pm

C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

But what about a contest at 10 pm (midnight madness is never at midnight anymore) in an empty gym in October with players who played at the same time?

That's a tough one.

How about Rakim Sanders pre-twinkie diet vs. Marquez Haynes in 2007?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby C55Eagle04 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's a tough one.

Marquez vs :seanwilliams in 2005 for a BC version of Dwight Howard vs Nate Robinson?
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
C55Eagle04 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's a tough one.

What about Sanders and Ravenel in a twinkie eating contest.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:44 pm

Hinnant's going to get McRoberts to come, and he'll just do the same dunk over and over again. It will continue to be awesome.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Hinnant's going to get McRoberts to come, and he'll just do the same dunk over and over again. It will continue to be awesome.

Unless he brings Sheldin along too, he'd have no shot against the Almighty Beerbohm.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cornellfan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 pm

We did not have midnight madness, but we did have a party for the NCAA Selection Show with about 2500 people, not bad when your stadium only holds 4400
cornellfan
n00b

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:50 am

cornellfan {l Wrote}:

We did not have midnight madness, but we did have a party for the NCAA Selection Show with about 2500 people, not bad when your stadium only holds 4400

A lot of us wanted a midnight madness to build team spirit and as a way to reach out to kids, but Coach Handsome didnt want to stay up that late and hold practice. Last year Coach had killed a lot of the passion and we would have been lucky to get 250 people there.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum