Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Postby cornellfan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:21 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:By the way, is the Joe Jones thing based on anything? Or just message board fodder? I just made a connection based on Katz' comment before (and b/c there are only 7 other Ivy coaches to choose from), but it was more wishful thinking on my part and certainly have not seen anything connecting him to Donahue/BC.

I believe Donahue is good friends with Joe Jones, Columbia is also getting somewhat impatient with him so I would not be surprised to see him make the jump to be an assistant at BC

Gallagher is probably a reasonable possibility since even though Donahue was not an assistant there when Gallagher was, Donahue has strong connections to Penn as he was an assistant there for 10 years and has many strong Philly connections
cornellfan
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:39 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:By the way, is the Joe Jones thing based on anything? Or just message board fodder? I just made a connection based on Katz' comment before (and b/c there are only 7 other Ivy coaches to choose from), but it was more wishful thinking on my part and certainly have not seen anything connecting him to Donahue/BC.

I believe Donahue is good friends with Joe Jones, Columbia is also getting somewhat impatient with him so I would not be surprised to see him make the jump to be an assistant at BC

Gallagher is probably a reasonable possibility since even though Donahue was not an assistant there when Gallagher was, Donahue has strong connections to Penn as he was an assistant there for 10 years and has many strong Philly connections

It's just that... the only real concern anyone ever expressed regarding Donahue is his ability to recruit high major scholarship athletes. Bringing in a staff composed ENTIRELY of Ivy league coaches will do nothing to ease this concern. Jones would be acceptable given his time at Villanova. Nat Graham is understandable in the sense that he is going to want at least one person who knows how to run his system and practice. But, to pair those two up with Gallagher would be disappointing. I would think that Graham coming over to BC from Cornell would foreclose the option of also taking Gallagher. I have no problem with Jones and Graham if you are pairing them up with a coach who was at a high major last year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cornellfan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
cornellfan {l Wrote}:

It's just that... the only real concern anyone ever expressed regarding Donahue is his ability to recruit high major scholarship athletes. Bringing in a staff composed ENTIRELY of Ivy league coaches will do nothing to ease this concern. Jones would be acceptable given his time at Villanova. Nat Graham is understandable in the sense that he is going to want at least one person who knows how to run his system and practice. But, to pair those two up with Gallagher would be disappointing. I would think that Graham coming over to BC from Cornell would foreclose the option of also taking Gallagher. I have no problem with Jones and Graham if you are pairing them up with a coach who was at a high major last year.

Yeah I would agree, it will probably be either Jones(more likely) or Gallagher and then someone with high major ties
cornellfan
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:52 pm

cornellfan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
cornellfan {l Wrote}:

Yeah I would agree, it will probably be either Jones(more likely) or Gallagher and then someone with high major ties

The gap between Jones and Gallagher seem monumental. Strictly from a resume, Gallagher and Graham seem comparable. I'm looking at it as Jones can be the #1 or #2 assistant, Gallagher and Graham really is only going to be qualified for #3. Now... if Gallagher is willing to come in a Director of Basketball Ops role... fine.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum