Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Postby BC '00 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach."

Per Andy Katz

Tommy Amaker

I'd be excited about Amaker as an assistant if Donohue just tosses him out on the recruiting trail.

Didn't he just sign some big extension? Thats why i used the red font. If he were only used to recruit and then given a muzzle during games/practices, I agree it'd be a great hire.

Gotta think this is some elder statesmen of one of the bottom rung Ivy's who has been at the recruiting game longer than Donahue, who no longer has the desire to simply be the head coach of a shitty Ivy team, but rather be part of an ACC staff with a colleague he obviously is fond of.

I would hope that the "ace recruiter" Donahue hires would be from outside the Ivy League. Isn't the reason we're skeptical about Donahue's recruiting BECAUSE he was in the Ivy League and recruiting is entirely different?
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:39 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
BCMcG {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach."

Per Andy Katz

Tommy Amaker

I'd be excited about Amaker as an assistant if Donohue just tosses him out on the recruiting trail.

Didn't he just sign some big extension? Thats why i used the red font. If he were only used to recruit and then given a muzzle during games/practices, I agree it'd be a great hire.

Gotta think this is some elder statesmen of one of the bottom rung Ivy's who has been at the recruiting game longer than Donahue, who no longer has the desire to simply be the head coach of a shitty Ivy team, but rather be part of an ACC staff with a colleague he obviously is fond of.

I would hope that the "ace recruiter" Donahue hires would be from outside the Ivy League. Isn't the reason we're skeptical about Donahue's recruiting BECAUSE he was in the Ivy League and recruiting is entirely different?

There's nothing to suggest he won't. Katz merely said he was talking to people at the Final 4 about joining his staff, including 1 current HC of an Ivy. I'm gonna go on record and doubt he holds onto any of the Skinner holdovers and starts fresh (maybe 1), so he's obviously gonna be bringing in 4 or so new guys.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:44 am

FUCK TOMMY THE LOSER AMAKER.

GO RECRUIT YOURSELF!!!!

You get over $1M--find your own kids and Amaker failed at 3 places???
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:45 am

I guess this was listed on EA earlier today, but look for John Gallagher (http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticl ... ID=1449593) to be on the staff. No word on Duquette, which makes me think it won't happen. No word on Murphy.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I guess this was listed on EA earlier today, but look for John Gallagher (http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticl ... ID=1449593) to be on the staff. No word on Duquette, which makes me think it won't happen. No word on Murphy.

Good catch KOSS!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby cremins on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:00 am

thanks 74, happy about the hire, he seems liek a good guy and we are going to be well coached.
excited about a change. did you see that coach mo is going to hofstra to join tim welsh.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 am

cremins {l Wrote}:thanks 74, happy about the hire, he seems liek a good guy and we are going to be well coached.
excited about a change. did you see that coach mo is going to hofstra to join tim welsh.

You were first to mention his as a Head Coach!!

That was a super call Cremmie!!!

:bowdown

I give credit where it is due and fuck the other assholes!!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby cremins on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:03 am

was hoping to see bobby cremins out there as a name also but he is golfing and happy in SC.
cremins
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:10 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I guess this was listed on EA earlier today, but look for John Gallagher (http://www.pennathletics.com/ViewArticl ... ID=1449593) to be on the staff. No word on Duquette, which makes me think it won't happen. No word on Murphy.

Interesting. Looks like Philly guys are going to be running things. Hopefully we can get a BC game played in this town again.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby lothar on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:19 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
lothar {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
lothar {l Wrote}:Give GDF a little bit of a break here -- he did ask Pearl if he wanted to be HC, after all.

he did?

Yes, there was that story Pearl & GDF both told of GDF calling to supposedly ask for advice on other candidates, and it just so happened to come up if Pearl would want the job. He said no.
Personally, I don't get canning Skinner this year if you;re not bringing in a huge name, but if it means I can tolerate watching the basketball team next year, so much the better.

There was a story that Pearl and DeFilippo spoke over the phone. I never read any story that says DeFilippo offered Pearl a job. Can you link that story where GDF offered Pearl a job?

Why would you offer somebody a job if they said they weren't interested in you offering them a job?

I guess I'm making a leap saying GDF 'offered' it - but why would GDF bring up the job to Pearl if he didn't want Pearl to express interest? As all the excitement around him showed, people certainly wanted Pearl, but it's possible GDF didn't and asked to placate the rabble.
lothar
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:26 am

John Goodman is now our Coach...

HOLY SHIT!!

Babe Ruth and now Basketball Head Coach..

KOSS...you are too much!!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:45 am

I'm excited for a coaching staff of Donahue, Gallagher and Murphy (the Troy O'Leary of the group) and I assume the whalepants crowd is too. BC has never had a bad coach with an Irish name. Not a single one.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:BTW, Noreen and Heslip would be fools to leave. Those guys should thrive with Donahue.

Reggie Jackson should also love a motion offense, it's made for him. The only guy who may not like this too much is Corey Raji.

Or anyone who's lazy...oops!

Our conditioning can't be any worse than it is now. Cornell would have run circles around our team this season.

Ravenel and Sanders just got winded thinking about the motion offense.

Biko Paris and Josh Southern also just freaked out when they realized they won't get 25 minutes a game by simply showing up.

I don't think Southern will play much, but I bet you see Paris back in the rotation with Donahue. Everyone except Southern should be excited about this move. They are getting their free flowing offense (which they tried to institute against Al's wishes), one which is specifically designed for players like Jackson, Trapani and Sanders (who should be fucking dribbling right now).

I also think Elmore could thrive in this offense. Another thing - this offense requires at least one post that can be a threat in the paint with his back to the basket. Ravenel would be an idiot to leave.

I do agree that Heslip and Noreen would be nuts to leave right now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:49 am

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I'm excited for a coaching staff of Donahue, Gallagher and Murphy (the Troy O'Leary of the group

I present your 2010-2011 coaching staff:

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:50 am

Query. One of the coaches must be African American, no?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If they don't hire an African American coach, every other coach in the country will use it against them on the recruiting trail.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:57 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:I'm excited for a coaching staff of Donahue, Gallagher and Murphy (the Troy O'Leary of the group

I present your 2010-2011 coaching staff:

I know TRE (rhymes with loves HCSD) wants a Donahue smiley, but I am liking the Donahue image linking Image
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:58 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If they don't hire an African American coach, every other coach in the country will use it against them on the recruiting trail.

I thought it was a rule. At least one on the staff.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Just remember that Donahue is not allowed back at the Oscars.

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:02 pm

So many go to bed hungry in this nation, yet cat food is full of tuna! I can't help but think each time I go to the zoo and see those porpoises, crammed into those tiny tanks, what a waste that is. Butcher half of them now! That's hundreds of pounds of dolphin meat that can be fed to our cats, freeing up that tuna for our nation's hungry. So many are cold, shivering in the night, so I say, butcher those cats, skin them! Use their fur to keep hundreds warm!
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I appreciate his diligent reporting, but am I the only one who thinks Goodman Image looks a teensy bit Image?

I wonder if Chicken Patties has ever fought Goodman over the best version of "My Way."
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
I know TRE (rhymes with loves HCSD) wants a Donahue smiley, but I am liking the Donahue image linking Image

wrong dead guy, blog boy

I was looking for a Hartman as Donahue pic. Exalt to Endless for finding the Naked Gun pic.

ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bcaddict on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Look out for Joe Jones.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:35 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:(the Troy O'Leary of the group)

I see what you did there. You're referring to the Buck O'Neil Hall of Fame. As a matter of fact, Troy O'Leary was recently inducted along with Calvin Murphy and that that lineman from NYC who couldn't get his SAT scores straight.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:39 pm

bcaddict {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Look out for Joe Jones.

That was I was thinking before when we saw Katz' comment on the current Ivy head coach. Guy who runs a bottom-feeder program and for whom being a top assisant at a big school is a better gig. Its nearly impossible to judge a Columbia coach on his record, but he inherited a 2 win team and has made them a middle pack Ivy. 86-108 record there.

Strong NY ties, growing up on LI and beginning in the LI high school scene, then joining Jay Wright at Hofstra and then Nova, where he was Wright's recruiter until he took over Columbia in 2003. He looks like he'd be a good get.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Pahreen on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:41 pm

His sister played for BC, so I guess that makes him at least somewhat familiar with the school. Also, it seems like he had decent recruiting responsibilities at previous schools.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby BCMcG on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Joe Jones would be a great pick.

Bonus points for being an assistant to this guy:
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Pahreen {l Wrote}:

His sister played for BC, so I guess that makes him at least somewhat familiar with the school. Also, it seems like he had decent recruiting responsibilities at previous schools.

The Gallagher thing ain't all that great. I also don't see the connection between Gallagher and Donahue. Jones seems like a MUCH better hire.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Pahreen on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Pahreen {l Wrote}:

The Gallagher thing ain't all that great. I also don't see the connection between Gallagher and Donahue. Jones seems like a MUCH better hire.

They aren't mutually exclusive. We can have both.
Last edited by Pahreen on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:02 pm

By the way, is the Joe Jones thing based on anything? Or just message board fodder? I just made a connection based on Katz' comment before (and b/c there are only 7 other Ivy coaches to choose from), but it was more wishful thinking on my part and certainly have not seen anything connecting him to Donahue/BC.
thebs19
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum