Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Postby Walsh601 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:57 am

John Goodman from Fox just tweeted this:

"Boston College, per sources, expected to come to name Cornell coach Steve Donahue new coach replacing Al Skinner today. "

http://twitter.com/goodmanonfox
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Re: Goodman: Donahue to be named HC later today

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:59 am

Good.

Very very solid hire.

Cue the whining about how the search wasn't exhaustive enough despite those people crying that "the fix was in" for Coen all along.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:00 am

he needs a couple shark recruiters/assistants to make this work.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:03 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:Good.

Very very solid hire.

Cue the whining about how the search wasn't exhaustive enough despite those people crying that "the fix was in" for Coen all along.

Are you seriously going to refute that the search wasn't nearly as exhaustive as it should have been? I don't think the fix was in for the two former assistants. I just think DeFilippo is not a very good A.D.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby lothar on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am

Give GDF a little bit of a break here -- he did ask Pearl if he wanted to be HC, after all. I prefer his search to St John's, which announced to the world they were asking Billy Donovan to be coach, then announced they were asking Paul Hewitt to be coach, then announced they offered Jim Calhoun $3 million a year to be their coach -- and got turned down by all of them. I'm not thrilled by the names in the search, but Donahue looks like a nice pick
lothar
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Very very solid hire.

Are you seriously going to refute that the search wasn't nearly as exhaustive as it should have been? I don't think the fix was in for the two former assistants. I just think DeFilippo is not a very good A.D.

Considering the guy getting the job was the first guy interviewed and by all acounts "blew them away" in his interview, how exhaustive should it be? Not like Donahue is a no name guy who has had no interest this offseason and therefore you can approach his good interview with skepticism.

Should we really wait 2 weeks to talk to guys we're not gonna hire just to increase the number? Whats the point of that?
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:11 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Very very solid hire.

Considering the guy getting the job was the first guy interviewed and by all acounts "blew them away" in his interview, how exhaustive should it be? Not like Donahue is a no name guy who has had no interest this offseason and therefore you can approach his good interview with skepticism.

Should we really wait 2 weeks to talk to guys we're not gonna hire just to increase the number? Whats the point of that?

St. Johns and DePaul had really exhuastive coaching searches. Would you have preferred that?
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:12 am

lothar {l Wrote}:Give GDF a little bit of a break here -- he did ask Pearl if he wanted to be HC, after all.

he did?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:16 am

I was the one who said the fix was in, but as 74 will show, I also said Donahue was a legit choice after acing the interview. Image
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:17 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Very very solid hire.

St. Johns and DePaul had really exhuastive coaching searches. Would you have preferred that?

We're getting a great coach without a three ring circus. Good work Gene.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby lothar on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:18 am

talon {l Wrote}:
lothar {l Wrote}:Give GDF a little bit of a break here -- he did ask Pearl if he wanted to be HC, after all.

he did?

Yes, there was that story Pearl & GDF both told of GDF calling to supposedly ask for advice on other candidates, and it just so happened to come up if Pearl would want the job. He said no.
Personally, I don't get canning Skinner this year if you;re not bringing in a huge name, but if it means I can tolerate watching the basketball team next year, so much the better.
lothar
n00b

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:20 am

You guys can bash Gene all you want, but assuming Donahue is the pick I'm excited about BC basketball again.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:21 am

lothar {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

he did?

Yes, there was that story Pearl & GDF both told of GDF calling to supposedly ask for advice on other candidates, and it just so happened to come up if Pearl would want the job. He said no.
Personally, I don't get canning Skinner this year if you;re not bringing in a huge name, but if it means I can tolerate watching the basketball team next year, so much the better.

There was a story that Pearl and DeFilippo spoke over the phone. I never read any story that says DeFilippo offered Pearl a job. Can you link that story where GDF offered Pearl a job?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:23 am

talon {l Wrote}:
lothar {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

he did?

There was a story that Pearl and DeFilippo spoke over the phone. I never read any story that says DeFilippo offered Pearl a job. Can you link that story where GDF offered Pearl a job?

Why would you offer somebody a job if they said they weren't interested in you offering them a job?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:26 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:
lothar {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

he did?

Why would you offer somebody a job if they said they weren't interested in you offering them a job?

Because EVERYBODY has a price.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:35 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:You guys can bash Gene all you want, but assuming Donahue is the pick I'm excited about BC basketball again.

Exactly.

You know whats gonna be nice? Seeing a team that can hit a fucking jump shot.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 am

BTW, Noreen and Heslip would be fools to leave. Those guys should thrive with Donahue.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:39 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:You guys can bash Gene all you want, but assuming Donahue is the pick I'm excited about BC basketball again.

Exactly.

You know whats gonna be nice? Seeing a team that can hit a fucking jump shot.

Agreed...though probably not next year. John Wooden couldn't teach some of these guys to shoot in just one off season.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:41 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:BTW, Noreen and Heslip would be fools to leave. Those guys should thrive with Donahue.

Reggie Jackson should also love a motion offense, it's made for him. The only guy who may not like this too much is Corey Raji.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:BTW, Noreen and Heslip would be fools to leave. Those guys should thrive with Donahue.

Reggie Jackson should also love a motion offense, it's made for him. The only guy who may not like this too much is Corey Raji.

Or anyone who's lazy...oops!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Our conditioning can't be any worse than it is now. Cornell would have run circles around our team this season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Our conditioning can't be any worse than it is now. Cornell would have run circles around our team this season.

Except here's a picture of Sanders two days after the Skinner firing broke:
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:48 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ravenel and Sanders just got winded thinking about the motion offense.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:50 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Ravenel and Sanders just got winded thinking about the motion offense.

Biko Paris and Josh Southern also just freaked out when they realized they won't get 25 minutes a game by simply showing up.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am

Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach."

Per Andy Katz
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:02 am

Sounds like he was always our guy, which is good news.

Hopefully he found some aggressive recruiters in Indy.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:07 am

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach."

Per Andy Katz

Tommy Amaker
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCMcG on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:10 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:Multiple sources said here in Indianapolis that Donahue had contacted coaches about joining his staff with the Eagles, including at least one other Ivy League head coach."

Per Andy Katz

Tommy Amaker

I'd be excited about Amaker as an assistant if Donohue just tosses him out on the recruiting trail.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:20 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

Per Andy Katz

Tommy Amaker

I'd be excited about Amaker as an assistant if Donohue just tosses him out on the recruiting trail.

Didn't he just sign some big extension? Thats why i used the red font. If he were only used to recruit and then given a muzzle during games/practices, I agree it'd be a great hire.

Gotta think this is some elder statesmen of one of the bottom rung Ivy's who has been at the recruiting game longer than Donahue, who no longer has the desire to simply be the head coach of a shitty Ivy team, but rather be part of an ACC staff with a colleague he obviously is fond of.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:37 am

[quote="ATLeagle"]I was the one who said the fix was in, but as 74 will show, I also said Donahue was a legit choice after acing the interview.

I always give credit where it is due.

Cremins mentioned him, you said it your first guess was SD and eagle maniac printed that deal and BUTTERCUP SAID IT WAS A DONE DEAL.

I was for Bob Zuffalato.... :lol:
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum