WoW!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: WoW!

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:28 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:2 of the final 3 candidates are guys you would "give Gene shit about", yet you are defending the search. Donahue was NOT the slamdunk superstar on Gene's list. Coen was the person on top of Gene's list heading into the process. He remains there now, but Donahue sold himself up there to join him. In comparison, Mooney wanted to be recruited to the job and didn't talk bout it in terms of his "dream". Thus, he was the first person off the list.

This is a bad thing, why again?

-2 similarly well-thought of coaches in the "minor leagues" interview.
-One is coming off a great Tournament run. One is coming off a year of unmatched expectations (remember Richmond was picked to win the A-10 preseason) and a disappointing first round drubbing.
-The "hot" guy declares openly his desire to lead the program in his interview. The "cold" guy plays hard to get.
-Thus, candidate number 1 becomes the front runner and the other guy taken off the list.

Explain to me where the disconnect is here that you're actually complaining about the logic I outlined above.

What??? I'm not saying I want Mooney over Donahue? I said that you are defending a search of which 2 of the final 3 candidates were guys you would hate and don't think deserving of the job. That is all I wrote. The only two others to even fucking interview were Mooney and Donahue. They were the only two that had a chance to break through the Skinner-Lite Duo. One Jags'd the interview. The other Skinner'd it. Yeah... you go with Donahue because he at least seems like he would be excited for the opportunity. That said, while I really have no interest in watching Mooney's boring offense and seems like a cock, you have to admit that his resume is MUCH better than Donahue's simply because he has been coaching in the A10 (which I have previously stated is an EXCELLENT BB conference).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:2 of the final 3 candidates are guys you would "give Gene shit about", yet you are defending the search. Donahue was NOT the slamdunk superstar on Gene's list. Coen was the person on top of Gene's list heading into the process. He remains there now, but Donahue sold himself up there to join him. In comparison, Mooney wanted to be recruited to the job and didn't talk bout it in terms of his "dream". Thus, he was the first person off the list.

-One is coming off a great Tournament run. One is coming off a year of unmatched expectations (remember Richmond was picked to win the A-10 preseason) and a disappointing first round drubbing.
-The "hot" guy declares openly his desire to lead the program in his interview. The "cold" guy plays hard to get.
-Thus, candidate number 1 becomes the front runner and the other guy taken off the list.

Explain to me where the disconnect is here that you're actually complaining about the logic I outlined above.

What??? I'm not saying I want Mooney over Donahue? I said that you are defending a search of which 2 of the final 3 candidates were guys you would hate and don't think deserving of the job. That is all I wrote. The only two others to even fucking interview were Mooney and Donahue. They were the only two that had a chance to break through the Skinner-Lite Duo. One Jags'd the interview. The other Skinner'd it. Yeah... you go with Donahue because he at least seems like he would be excited for the opportunity. That said, while I really have no interest in watching Mooney's boring offense and seems like a cock, you have to admit that his resume is MUCH better than Donahue's simply because he has been coaching in the A10 (which I have previously stated is an EXCELLENT BB conference).

No doubt he has faced better competition. I'm a big A10 fan as I have already commented due to family ties to the Bonnies so I follow the conference.

But Donahue has done more with Cornell than Mooney has with Richmond. And Mooney's team was predicted to win his conference, didn't, and then while they remained a trendy upset pick amongst the talking heads, got beat soundly by a team that only got in because of an upset in the conference tournament finals. Granted they ran into a beast in Samhan, but regardless, that was a shitty shitty performance by Richmond. Donahue, on the other hand, soundly beat the best A10 team in his matchup. And I watched Temple run thru the A10 tournament. That was a very good Temple team that probably deserved a 3 seed.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:42 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

No doubt he has faced better competition. I'm a big A10 fan as I have already commented due to family ties to the Bonnies so I follow the conference.

But Donahue has done more with Cornell than Mooney has with Richmond. And Mooney's team was predicted to win his conference, didn't, and then while they remained a trendy upset pick amongst the talking heads, got beat soundly by a team that only got in because of an upset in the conference tournament finals. Granted they ran into a beast in Samhan, but regardless, that was a shitty shitty performance by Richmond. Donahue, on the other hand, soundly beat the best A10 team in his matchup. And I watched Temple run thru the A10 tournament. That was a very good Temple team that probably deserved a 3 seed.

I am not going to shit all over Donahue. I have constantly supported his candidacy. He was BY FUCKING FAR the best coach interviewed. The problem is that no one wants this job with Gene as their boss. It is sad and it is embarrassing for anyone who gives to shits about the school. But, it is our reality.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:The problem is that no one wants this job with Gene as their boss. It is sad and it is embarrassing for anyone who gives to shits about the school. But, it is our reality.

This.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:The problem is that no one wants this job with Gene as their boss. It is sad and it is embarrassing for anyone who gives to shits about the school. But, it is our reality.

This.

I tend to think the complete backseat the program takes and overall complete lack of local support (and even support on campus since the Dudley era ended) is probably a bigger factor in why its not as desirable as it can be. Problem is that its a vicious cycle. You need to get the great coach in here to build interest in the program to make it more attractive to the great coach.

Therefore, I think getting a guy like Donahue, who IS a hot name, who is geniunely interested in making this program his baby (as has been indicated), is about the best hire you can make right now. Thats not a "we are who we are" comment (although I'm sure it'll be labeled as such). Its a comment that in the choice between a middling "bigger name" from a power conference (like Oliver Purnell) and Steve Donahue, Donahue is clearly the better hire for now and the future.

Then 10 years down the line, maybe you've upgraded facilities and its a big deal in Boston and suddenly BC is a job everyone wants. But I think you're stuck in a bit of a rut right now, which is why is was so important to make the change from Al when we did.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:24 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

This.

I tend to think the complete backseat the program takes and overall complete lack of local support (and even support on campus since the Dudley era ended) is probably a bigger factor in why its not as desirable as it can be. Problem is that its a vicious cycle. You need to get the great coach in here to build interest in the program to make it more attractive to the great coach.

Therefore, I think getting a guy like Donahue, who IS a hot name, who is geniunely interested in making this program his baby (as has been indicated), is about the best hire you can make right now. Thats not a "we are who we are" comment (although I'm sure it'll be labeled as such). Its a comment that in the choice between a middling "bigger name" from a power conference (like Oliver Purnell) and Steve Donahue, Donahue is clearly the better hire for now and the future.

Then 10 years down the line, maybe you've upgraded facilities and its a big deal in Boston and suddenly BC is a job everyone wants. But I think you're stuck in a bit of a rut right now, which is why is was so important to make the change from Al when we did.

I agree with most of this. Could Gene do a better job with promotion and ticket policies? Absolutely. But the lack of support for this program (and I don't include typing 50,000 messages from Fort Worth as support) is the biggest thing holding BC back. The next biggest problem was Al Skinner. That has been corrected. And I support Gene's decision there. Gene did not settle for mediocrity. He did not demonstrate a "we are what we are" attitude with that surprise firing. In fact, quite the opposite.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:32 am

[quote="MilitantEagle

(and I don't include typing 50,000 messages from Fort Worth as support)

GO SUCK KENYA BOY"S LYING COCK!

The next biggest problem was Al Skinner.

WOW, When did a dumb fuck left wing bitch figgot like you figure it out? Opps broke my pledge!!

That has been corrected. And I support Gene's decision there. Gene did not settle for mediocrity. He did not demonstrate a "we are what we are" attitude with that surprise firing. In fact, quite the opposite.

3 FUCKING YEARS AND 1500 POSTS LATER....WOW HE FIGURED IT OUT???

Ice cream for militant cocksucker baby maker !!
[/quote]

ENJOY THE FONTS!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:36 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:[quote="MilitantEagle

(and I don't include typing 50,000 messages from Fort Worth as support)

GO SUCK KENYA BOY"S LYING COCK!

The next biggest problem was Al Skinner.

WOW, When did a dumb fuck left wing bitch figgot like you figure it out? Opps broke my pledge!!

That has been corrected. And I support Gene's decision there. Gene did not settle for mediocrity. He did not demonstrate a "we are what we are" attitude with that surprise firing. In fact, quite the opposite.

3 FUCKING YEARS AND 1500 POSTS LATER....WOW HE FIGURED IT OUT???

Ice cream for militant cocksucker baby maker !!

ENJOY THE FONTS![/quote]

Thanks BCEagle74. Much appreciated. Your skin is pretty thin.

And as I've said before, I'm no left winger. But I'm not a crazy right wing nut like you either.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum