WoW!

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

WoW!

Postby InTheKnow on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:25 am

Why? I don't know but Oliver Purnell is accepting the Depaul job and leaving Clemson
. I guess there's a job opening for Skinner
InTheKnow
n00b

Re: WoW!

Postby James Kilmeady on Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:23 am

I hope the Cornell guy gets the Clemson job and Gene has to beg the BC High coach to moonlight at the Heights.
Oh they'll make you or break you but they'll never forsake you...
James Kilmeady
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:48 am

BC just can't compete with the likes of DePaul. We would be insanely lucky to poach from schools like Cornell, Fairfield or Northeastern.

I am glad people are finally starting to see just how fucking atrocious Gene is and how he is the absolutely worse thing at Boston College.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:BC just can't compete with the likes of DePaul. We would be insanely lucky to poach from schools like Cornell, Fairfield or Northeastern.

I am glad people are finally starting to see just how fucking atrocious Gene is and how he is the absolutely worse thing at Boston College.

You really want Oliver Purnell? Or are you just saying this because its another guy we're not chasing and therefore he must be awesome?

I'm just really not sure what the criteria is here for coaches you like - its seemingly "any guy Gene hasn't spoken to must be better than any guy Gene has spoken to", with an extra bonus if the guy is at a big name school. So here's one for you: start the "Why the F hasn't Gene spoken to SIDNEY LOWE!!!!!!?????" thread.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:04 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:BC just can't compete with the likes of DePaul. We would be insanely lucky to poach from schools like Cornell, Fairfield or Northeastern.

You really want Oliver Purnell? Or are you just saying this because its another guy we're not chasing and therefore he must be awesome?

I'm just really not sure what the criteria is here for coaches you like - its seemingly "any guy Gene hasn't spoken to must be better than any guy Gene has spoken to", with an extra bonus if the guy is at a big name school. So here's one for you: start the "Why the F hasn't Gene spoken to SIDNEY LOWE!!!!!!?????" thread.

I read it not that Oliver Purnell is teh awesome, but DePaul was able to hire a coach that is already at a BCS conference school.

As soon as Skinner was fired, it was painfully obvious that anybody coaching at any ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big Twelve, Pac-10, or SEC school was 100% not going to come to Chestnut Hill.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:14 am

I'm even starting to feel bad for you guys.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:20 am

talon {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:

I read it not that Oliver Purnell is teh awesome, but DePaul was able to hire a coach that is already at a BCS conference school.

As soon as Skinner was fired, it was painfully obvious that anybody coaching at any ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big Twelve, Pac-10, or SEC school was 100% not going to come to Chestnut Hill.

Or, how about that Steve Donahue, who was on everyones short list this offseason, was maybe Gene's first choice from the beginning, was his first interview, killed it, and killed the need for Gene to continue to go fishing for mediocre names just to satisfy those who wanted quantity over quality out of the search?

He's called some of the big fish and hasn't gotten nibbles. Not surprising. To put Oliver Purnell in the same category as Bruce Pearl just b/c they both come from BCS schools is lazy. You wanted Gene to interview Stan Heath from South Florida, Frank Haith and LennY Hamilton just to satisfy the BCS school quota? Seems pointless to me.

I've said all along if the search winds up yielding Coen or Cooley without an exhuastive interview list, I'll give Gene plenty of shit, cuz those are guys you can keep hanging for a while as you interview legions of folks. But these preemptive strikes against the search, most of them just furthering a pre-existing agenda and making claims like the fix is in for a BC guy (I've seen some guarantees that it was gonna be Coen, Cooley, Duquette or O'Shea, right?) just reek of self-loathing and a chicken little attitude.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:28 am

Not to mention for WEEKS (even months) DePaul was said to be throwing crazy money at whoever would listen and have been linked to a ton of names, most of whom quickly dropped out/signed extensions. Their search was even more ridiculous than SJU's. Lets not be envious of them. They got their like 12th choice here.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:34 am

2 of the final 3 candidates are guys you would "give Gene shit about", yet you are defending the search. Donahue was NOT the slamdunk superstar on Gene's list. Coen was the person on top of Gene's list heading into the process. He remains there now, but Donahue sold himself up there to join him. In comparison, Mooney wanted to be recruited to the job and didn't talk bout it in terms of his "dream". Thus, he was the first person off the list.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:40 am

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:I'm even starting to feel bad for you guys.

Just take a deep breath, stare at your UCONN Diploma, and then you can re-commence feeling bad for yourself. You're welcome in advance.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:43 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

Just take a deep breath, stare at your UCONN Diploma, and then you can re-commence feeling bad for yourself. You're welcome in advance.

We can laugh all we want at UConn, but their coaches are eleventy billions times better than ours... pretty much in every sport. But, we pay our head coaches like they pay their assistants.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:2 of the final 3 candidates are guys you would "give Gene shit about", yet you are defending the search. Donahue was NOT the slamdunk superstar on Gene's list. Coen was the person on top of Gene's list heading into the process. He remains there now, but Donahue sold himself up there to join him. In comparison, Mooney wanted to be recruited to the job and didn't talk bout it in terms of his "dream". Thus, he was the first person off the list.

You know this how again?

*Cue story about your sources within the program that nobody can ever challenge you on because you can hide behind the anonymity of the internets*
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

We can laugh all we want at UConn, but their coaches are eleventy billions times better than ours... pretty much in every sport. But, we pay our head coaches like they pay their assistants.

At the end of the day my education and degree from BC mean a lot more to me and my family than the status of UCONN's basketball programs. Sure, our coaches could be better. Sure, I support BC Athletics and want them to succeed. Sure, Gene sucks. Seriously, life's too short to freak out at every turn surrounding BC sports.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:50 am

If Temple won their first round game, would Donahue be a candidate?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:03 am

talon {l Wrote}:If Temple won their first round game, would Donahue be a candidate?

It doesn't work that way.

If Alabama beat UWM, Pearl would probably not be at a power conference school. There are plenty of examples of this.

But yes, I've already posted Donahue's disappointing record against power conference schools and there is no doubt there is a risk there.

Nice signature by the way.
Last edited by commavegarage on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:04 am

talon {l Wrote}:If Temple won their first round game, would Donahue be a candidate?

If Alabama beat UW-Milwaukee in the first round would Bruce Pearl have been a candidate for Tennessee? We can play this game all day long, but bottom line, Cornell beat Temple and they beat them soundly. They went on to beat Wisconsin quite easily as well.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:08 am

I love your Socratic method of message board posting. It generates good discussion.

And from everything I've heard locally about the guy's time as a HS and college coach here, and from what I've read about the guy in the past week, I hope Gene would have looked at him even if they had not made the 16.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby talon on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:11 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

If Alabama beat UW-Milwaukee in the first round would Bruce Pearl have been a candidate for Tennessee? We can play this game all day long, but bottom line, Cornell beat Temple and they beat them soundly. They went on to beat Wisconsin quite easily as well.

okay, let's change the question. If Temple won their first round game, who would be the third candidate on BC's list of finalists? Or would it just be between Coen and Cooley?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:21 am

talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

okay, let's change the question. If Temple won their first round game, who would be the third candidate on BC's list of finalists? Or would it just be between Coen and Cooley?

First, I want to repeat, that the game wasn't even close. Cornell won easily. And they won easily again in the second round. In my opinion, that says a lot about Donahue. I'm glad he's likely to get the job because I don't know who my next choice would be (or the third candidate as you phrase it). Maybe Gene would have taken Mooney more seriously and vice versa? I'll go with that.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:22 am

I can't believe an Ivy league coach's record against power conference schools is being used against him. That is upsurd.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:31 am

If Alabama beat UWM and Pearl was still there, how do we know he would've even interviewed for the BC opening? Similarly, if the Final Three were not at Cornell, Fairfield or Northeastern, how do we know that they would be interested today?

Ultimately, no matter what you think of Donahue (and I think he is OK enough that he deserves a chance), this process has probably been even worse than the Spaz sham search.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Trilobite on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 am

"okay, let's change the question. If Temple won their first round game, who would be the third candidate on BC's list of finalists? Or would it just be between Coen and Cooley?"

OK, I'll bite. If Temple had beaten Cornell, I guess Fran Dunphy would have been the third candidate.
Trilobite
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:43 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Trilobite {l Wrote}:"okay, let's change the question. If Temple won their first round game, who would be the third candidate on BC's list of finalists? Or would it just be between Coen and Cooley?"

OK, I'll bite. If Temple had beaten Cornell, I guess Fran Dunphy would have been the third candidate.

i'm sorry, that was incorrect. the correct answer (and tip of the cap to homojs) was AL GOLDEN...

False. Christy Mihos is the 3rd candidate.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:44 am

If Butler had lost to the UTEP like many talking heads pinned them to (...and i listened...), would Stevens be Stevens, or would he be an underachiever who took a team with a preseason top 10 ranking and couldn't get out of the first round for the 2nd straight year (not the ranking, the first round loss part)?

Can't play this game.

On my drive in this morning, BTW, Meterparel reports that Donahue is on campus again today and Stevens has not been contacted yet.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:If Butler had lost to the UTEP like many talking heads pinned them to (...and i listened...), would Stevens be Stevens, or would he be an underachiever who took a team with a preseason top 10 ranking and couldn't get out of the first round for the 2nd straight year (not the ranking, the first round loss part)?

Can't play this game.

On my drive in this morning, BTW, Meterparel reports that Donahue is on campus again today and Stevens has not been contacted yet.

I can't imagine that a conversation with Stevens about a new job would go very well today. I think you have to give him at least 24 hours to recover from losing (brutally) in the national championship game. I'd just get a message to him saying that you'd love to talk about his future and will give a call tomorrow.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:48 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I can't believe an Ivy league coach's record against power conference schools is being used against him. That is upsurd.

Tommy Amaker disagrees.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:50 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:If Butler had lost to the UTEP like many talking heads pinned them to (...and i listened...), would Stevens be Stevens, or would he be an underachiever who took a team with a preseason top 10 ranking and couldn't get out of the first round for the 2nd straight year (not the ranking, the first round loss part)?

Can't play this game.

I can't imagine that a conversation with Stevens about a new job would go very well today. I think you have to give him at least 24 hours to recover from losing (brutally) in the national championship game. I'd just get a message to him saying that you'd love to talk about his future and will give a call tomorrow.

Yeah there was really no good outcome last night.

He wins, very unlikely he leaves to go to BC. He loses, very unlikely he's in the mood to talking about leaving. I think this best thing that could happen is for Hayward to say he's going to come out (but he's very unlikely to do so).
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:56 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:I can't believe an Ivy league coach's record against power conference schools is being used against him. That is upsurd.

Tommy Amaker disagrees.

Amaker also has a terrible record against power conference while in power conferences. Donahue getting strikes against him for losing to power conference schools while at an Ivy is silly, especially when looking at his last couple years against power conferences.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby thebs19 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:2 of the final 3 candidates are guys you would "give Gene shit about", yet you are defending the search. Donahue was NOT the slamdunk superstar on Gene's list. Coen was the person on top of Gene's list heading into the process. He remains there now, but Donahue sold himself up there to join him. In comparison, Mooney wanted to be recruited to the job and didn't talk bout it in terms of his "dream". Thus, he was the first person off the list.

This is a bad thing, why again?

-2 similarly well-thought of coaches in the "minor leagues" interview.
-One is coming off a great Tournament run. One is coming off a year of unmatched expectations (remember Richmond was picked to win the A-10 preseason) and a disappointing first round drubbing.
-The "hot" guy declares openly his desire to lead the program in his interview. The "cold" guy plays hard to get.
-Thus, candidate number 1 becomes the front runner and the other guy taken off the list.

Explain to me where the disconnect is here that you're actually complaining about the logic I outlined above.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:21 am

I understand the argument. Although true, I don't want Oliver Purnell coaching anywhere near BC, unless he's coaching the opposition.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum