Donahue should be the Seton Hall coach now

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Donahue should be the Seton Hall coach now

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... eline.html

This is a pretty interesting article regarding the Seton Hall search. Basically, Willard Jagozinski'd the interview (i.e. absolutely crushed it) and got an offer. Donahue could not interview until the pesky little thing called the Sweet Sixteen was over. He interviewed (even though Willard already had the offer) and SHU absolutely loved him. If Willard balked, Donahue would be your coach in South Orange tonight. Willard, of course, accepted it.

Of note in that article is that Ed Cooley was actually interviewed (though wasn't on the final list). And, of note, SHU (which is probably the worst job in any of the 6 major BB conferences had a more impressive group of candidates than BC).
http://www.nj.com/college-basketball/in ... eline.html

It should also be noted for the record that while Donahue didn't interview for SJU, he had become their second choice behind Lavin.

The point here is that Donahue is a good coach who is ready to get his chance with a major program. He is not the best BC could do. But, he is a decent coach that somehow stumbled into the most embarrassing job search in the history of major athletics.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Donahue should be the Seton Hall coach now

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCWest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:28 pm

Donahue could work out well for BC....
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:59 pm

He could, West. The more I hear and learn, the more I like.

That said, a guy who wants the Seton Hall job has the look and feel of a guy who simply wants a new gig - to cash in while he's hot for any gig better than an IVY gig. Seton Hall? Honestly, the worst Big East gig of all. South Florida is a better hoops gig.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:He could, West. The more I hear and learn, the more I like.

That said, a guy who wants the Seton Hall job has the look and feel of a guy who simply wants a new gig - to cash in while he's hot for any gig better than an IVY gig. Seton Hall? Honestly, the worst Big East gig of all. South Florida is a better hoops gig.

Not true. He interviewed. THat was it. He interviewed and was offered by Hofstra. $700k per year. And turned it down.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:18 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

What I meant to convey is that Donohue's interest in the Hall job is bothersome to me. Taking that job is a desperate move. Hell, interviewing for that job is a desperate move. That Donohue was on that list makes me believe he wanted out of Cornell - to cash in on his hotness- by any means necessary.

With Donohue, I am not worried about in game coaching. I actually believe we will see a BC team break the press, inbound the ball, defend the inbound better than we have in 13 years. We will also learn what it feels like to take a charge.

What I am concerned about is having a very honkey kind of dude try to relate to a senior laden class right off the bat. Secondly, I don't know if this very honkey kind of dude will impress in living rooms or with AAU coaches.

But I have it from some very good tacticians in the hoops world that this guy flat understands hoops and won't be out x'd and o'd. But you got to have the horses. And the horses in the ACC are different than the horses in the Ivy.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:47 pm

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}: the most embarrassing job search in the history of major athletics.

I know a certain Eye-talyun plumber who would like a word with you. :spaz2
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum