Coen or Cooley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What do you prefer

Bill Coen
19%
Ed Cooley
22%
None of the above... I will not following BC Basketball until the new coach can replicate Cornell's tourney success.
59%

Total votes : 27

Re: Coen or Cooley

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:16 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Nope. OJ still hasn't answered the question.

Nor will he. Although I suspect he like Coen better, because he read a third of a Bob Ryan column, among other reasons.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I said Donahue is pretty much the best BC can get. To say it another way, I did not watch Robert Morris, Cornell (except for Temple game), Richmond, Dayton, URI too closely, but none of these other candidates seem to be any better than Donahue.

Wait... didn't scrush2 call me out for not watching every mid-major game this year? And now, he is saying "I didn't see Cornell play this year, but Steve Donahue is the best BC could ever do."

N.B. While I don't believe Donahue is the best coach BC can hire, he is the best coach GDF can hire. And he is light-years better than GDF's alternatives.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I said Donahue is pretty much the best BC can get. To say it another way, I did not watch Robert Morris, Cornell (except for Temple game), Richmond, Dayton, URI too closely, but none of these other candidates seem to be any better than Donahue.

Wait... didn't scrush2 call me out for not watching every mid-major game this year? And now, he is saying "I didn't see Cornell play this year, but Steve Donahue is the best BC could ever do."

N.B. While I don't believe Donahue is the best coach BC can hire, he is the best coach GDF can hire. And he is light-years better than GDF's alternatives.

Who the hell watches these teams. No one on this board. I admit that I am basing my opinion on resumes as opposed to deep knowledge. You rant and rave, nonstop, with your anti-Gene agenda and CLAIM to know who the best candidates are and that Gene's expected hire will be Al Skinner-lite. But you haven't watched BC on a regular basis in years. You watch very little basketball at all.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:48 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Who the hell watches these teams. No one on this board. I admit that I am basing my opinion on resumes as opposed to deep knowledge. You rant and rave, nonstop, with your anti-Gene agenda and CLAIM to know who the best candidates are and that Gene's expected hire will be Al Skinner-lite. But you haven't watched BC on a regular basis in years. You watch very little basketball at all.

Now I haven't watched BC in years? OJ's sperm is starting to infect your brain. Most years I will see at least half of BC's game. This year, I probably only saw 1/4 to 1/3 of them. To me, that is barely watching.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Now I haven't watched BC in years? OJ's sperm is starting to infect your brain. Most years I will see at least half of BC's game. This year, I probably only saw 1/4 to 1/3 of them. To me, that is barely watching.

Your cocktail of choice, which consists of sperm from teenage linebackers and Schiano spit, killed all of your functioning brain cells years ago. See, I can do lame gay jokes also!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Here's the deal on the difference b/w Coen and cooley...

Coen is an excellent game coach, who was responsible for many of the in-game adjustments/scouting that worked so well when he was at BC. He was also the guy that could identify the under-the-radar type of recruits, but didn't necessarily close on the big names against the big competition (tho he did it from time to time).

Cooley is an excellent practice coach and big man coach, but was not handed nearly as much of the in-game adjustments as Coen. A lot of Craig's success derived from Cooley, who hammered away at his post moves every single day. I believe Cooley was also the guy who landed :seanwilliams and Marquez Haynes.

I've long been a Coen guy b/w the two, but I've come around to Cooley and would probably prefer him b/c I think he's got a higher upside. Cooley would sell the school very well, would recruit the higher-end talent better than Coen (I do think they'd resonate with his pitch better than Coen's) and his style of play would be much more flexible than Coen's (which isn't as tight/inflexible as Skinner's, but wouldn't be as free-flowing as Cooley's). End of the day, I think I'd prefer Donahue, b/c he'd bring some needed change to the program, but I do think that Cooley would recruit better. Whether he could coach better is an entirely different matter, and in that, I think I'd side with Donahue.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:41 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:...TRE's retardedly stupid question...

wait a minute - why am i and my question compilation skills being attacked now?

i thought it was a good question, by the way

I actually meant to have "easy" following both "retardedly stupid". Meaning that, even with his extra chromosome, OJ could answer the question. But, I was watching the game as I was typing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum