Duke vs Butler Predictions

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Duke vs Butler Predictions

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:37 pm

Holy crap. That thing was right on line. That would have been epic.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did Clark Kellogg just call that a "good shot"? He didn't have much of a choice because he dribbled around like Ty Rice on crack, but still.

Kellogg is as dumb as a bag of hammers. He made so many ridiculous statements tonight I don't know where to start.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

Wow...

I said he should miss that free throw and Nance and Kellogg were asleep and only mentioned that Butler did not have a timeout after the first free throw.

Nantz was asleep....

These guys suck.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:41 pm

Did anybody else see Singler flop like a bitch on that last play?

And don't give me this "People can't stand Duke because they win" shit CBS or whoever the fuck says it. Kansas wins, UCLA wins, insert team here wins and people don't complain about that.

Maybe if your 7 foot goon didn't flop like a bitch every play people would be able to tolerate you.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Kellogg in particular was horrendous...

That fucking goon Zoubek not fouling out is a travesty though...I feel for Butler.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Did Clark Kellogg just call that a "good shot"? He didn't have much of a choice because he dribbled around like Ty Rice on crack, but still.

Kellogg is as dumb as a bag of hammers. He made so many ridiculous statements tonight I don't know where to start.

CBS was told Greg Anthony was the guy but Kellogg waited his turn when they forced Packer out.

Now Kellogg, Seth Davis, Doug Gottlieb and Andy Katz==morons.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Agreed. My favorite was the one where he said Scheyer had all ball until they showed the replay of the arm getting ripped out. Or the numerous "good calls" (like the Singler (non)travel).
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Holy crap... that midcourt jumper really should've gone in... he hit on the perfect spot on the backboard. Maybe there wasn't enough spin on the ball, but goddamn... that shot really should've been good.

BTW... did Zoubeck miss on purpose and what was the deal with Kellogg saying that Butler wanted Duke to hit that last foul shot? No they didn't. While, it would allow them an inbounds play (one without a timeout), the best they could hope for was a tie.

Finally, Howard fouled on that last second shot. Completely buried Sheyer or Singler... moving pick... lowered shoulder... everything.
Last edited by HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:43 pm

Had that last shot gone in, it would have become the most famous shot in the history of college basketball.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:45 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Had that last shot gone in, it would have become the most famous shot in the history of college basketball.

Yep. And it wouldn't even be close.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Had that last shot gone in, it would have become the most famous shot in the history of college basketball.

Eh, maybe second tier with Keith Smart , Tate George and the Drew kid. Unless Gordon Heywood is the second coming, they will always overrate the Jordan shot. And Laetner's turn around to beat Kentucky.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Heyward would had become an instant Flutie and maybe surpassed it since there was no catch.

What a great game!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 pm

Can someone PLEASE shoot Jim Nantz? That was certainly NOT the greatest BB game ever played? Jesus. It was a horrible game to watch. It was a phenomenal story and a very close game. But, come on... the greatest ever?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Holy crap. That thing was right on line. That would have been epic.

That was an inch away from going in. The pick at half court to free up heyward was pretty good too. I didn't see who it was, but he got put on his back.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Can someone PLEASE shoot Jim Nantz? That was certainly NOT the greatest BB game ever played? Jesus. It was a horrible game to watch. It was a phenomenal story and a very close game. But, come on... the greatest ever?

This.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 pm

By the way, ESPN thinks this is a new decade. Coach K now has wins in 3 decades. Just saying.

If ESPN says it, I guess that resolves our dispute.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 pm

Steve Donahue would have found a way to win that game.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Eh, maybe second tier with Keith Smart , Tate George and the Drew kid. Unless Gordon Heywood is the second coming, they will always overrate the Jordan shot. And Laetner's turn around to beat Kentucky.

The only competition I thought of was Lorenzo Charles, Smart, Jordan, and Laettner. Then I remembered that if you ask your average college basketball fan "Who is Lorenzo Charles," they would probably have no idea. NC State's championship is probably best known for Valvano running around on the court. Smart's would be close, but the end was at least a little bit anticlimactic b/c of the delay between the made shot and the actual end of the game (only two seconds of game clock, I think, but there was a timeout). Jordan's would be closer, but it wasn't really a remarkable shot, and is almost overshadowed by the insanity of the turnover/pass to Worthy that ended it. As you implied, it's really best known for being shot by Michael Jordan. Laettner's would be closest.

I think Hayward's would have become the most famous for a few reasons: the degree of difficulty, the stakes, the timing (a shot is always more memorable if it goes in at or after the buzzer), and because it would fit neatly into the narrative--the hackneyed Hoosiers thing, as you called it earlier. And finally because it took place in the age of YouTube.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:58 pm

I don't know why we aren't looking at Wojo or Collins? It is so incredibly clear that Wojo and Collins are both solely responsible for all of Coach K's success this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The only competition I thought of was Lorenzo Charles, Smart, Jordan, and Laettner. Then I remembered that if you ask your average college basketball fan "Who is Lorenzo Charles," they would probably have no idea. NC State's championship is probably best known for Valvano running around on the court. Smart's would be close, but the end was at least a little bit anticlimactic b/c of the delay between the made shot and the actual end of the game (only two seconds of game clock, I think, but there was a timeout). Jordan's would be closer, but it wasn't really a remarkable shot, and is almost overshadowed by the insanity of the turnover/pass to Worthy that ended it. As you implied, it's really best known for being shot by Michael Jordan. Laettner's would be closest.

I think Hayward's would have become the most famous for a few reasons: the degree of difficulty, the stakes, the timing (a shot is always more memorable if it goes in at or after the buzzer), and because it would fit neatly into the narrative--the hackneyed Hoosiers thing, as you called it earlier. And finally because it took place in the age of YouTube.

Thing is, it is largely about who took it when it comes to college ball. It would have been a famous shot, but unlike Laetner and Jordan, it would be "the shot by the skinny kid from Butler a few years back...what was his name?"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Steve Donahue would have found a way to win that game.

If Steve Donahue were coaching, Duke would have forfeited before tipoff. That's how good he is!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

If Steve Donahue were coaching, Duke would have forfeited before tipoff. That's how good he is!

Donahue Fever...catch it!

Seriously, it's the best realistic hire. I'll start a bandwagon.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Thing is, it is largely about who took it when it comes to college ball. It would have been a famous shot, but unlike Laetner and Jordan, it would be "the shot by the skinny kid from Butler a few years back...what was his name?"

Fair point. Unfortunately we don't get to find out. We get the pleasure of watching the sanctimonious douche reap more praise for being THE GREATEST LEADER IN THE HISTORY OF SPORTS AND PROBABLY MANKIND TOO.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

epstein claimed dibs on the whole "founder" thing.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

epstein claimed dibs on the whole "founder" thing.

...a few hundred times, in every thread on the board.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Holy crap... that midcourt jumper really should've gone in... he hit on the perfect spot on the backboard. Maybe there wasn't enough spin on the ball, but goddamn... that shot really should've been good.

BTW... did Zoubeck miss on purpose and what was the deal with Kellogg saying that Butler wanted Duke to hit that last foul shot? No they didn't. While, it would allow them an inbounds play (one without a timeout), the best they could hope for was a tie.

Finally, Howard fouled on that last second shot. Completely buried Sheyer or Singler... moving pick... lowered shoulder... everything.

I think the point waas Butler wanted him to hit it so the clock would stop and they could get it to half court or close without the clock running. That may have been the only coherent thing he said all night. I saw the moving pick on howard as well. He literally threw a body check.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Did anybody else see Singler flop like a bitch on that last play?

Oh boy, really? You mean as he was running full speed defending the ball and a guy drilled him from the blind-side and you think he flopped? Tell me you're kidding.

I watch more basketball than you so your opinion doesn't matter.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:41 am

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Butler by 1 (not really, just hoping) 62-61

Whichever team wins, this final is just an indictment of the quality of college hoops this year. Who really thinks either of these teams would have made it competitive with the last 5 national champs? Disgraciad.

That last shot goes in and I would have been dead on...and much much much happier. Not only did the biggest bunch of whiny douchebags in college basketball win the tournament, but I was this close to a great call. I still say they are the weakest champs I can remember.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Did anybody else see Singler flop like a bitch on that last play?

Oh boy, really? You mean as he was running full speed defending the ball and a guy drilled him from the blind-side and you think he flopped? Tell me you're kidding.

I watch more basketball than you so your opinion doesn't matter.

I'm with pedro on this one. If you think that was a flop then you have truly been blinded to reality by your hatred for Duke.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby auggiebc on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:52 am

I can live with the ACC winning NC's every year. Kinda shuts up the Big East a bit.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum