Gregory out

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Gregory out

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncb/news/story?id=5057355
Andy Katz stating he will remain in Dayton
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Re: Gregory out

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm

Like Amaker, he was never really in the picture. At least GDF reached out.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:05 pm

Here's what I don't get - Gregory and Pearl are both contacted but don't interview. And Stevens could be next. Yet everyone is sarcastically mentioning the "national search" or calling it a sham just because of the interview list. Why?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Here's what I don't get - Gregory and Pearl are both contacted but don't interview. And Stevens could be next. Yet everyone is sarcastically mentioning the "national search" or calling it a sham just because of the interview list. Why?

because these same people "predicted" it would be a shame before any interviews were held and will go to great lengths to never admit that Gene has ever done anything correctly.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Here's what I don't get - Gregory and Pearl are both contacted but don't interview. And Stevens could be next. Yet everyone is sarcastically mentioning the "national search" or calling it a sham just because of the interview list. Why?

because these same people "predicted" it would be a shame before any interviews were held and will go to great lengths to never admit that Gene has ever done anything correctly.

Sort of like what you did with Coach Handsome?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too? Shouldn't that have been at all mentioned? I mean, the link between BC and Gregory pretty much didn't exist outside this board, while the DePaul thing was everywhere. And Katz... what's this talk about rebuilding? I thought you said Al had this program in great shape and then the rug was pulled out from under him?

And another thing... doesn't BC have any effing backdoor channels for which to gauge Gregory's interest (without publicly being rejected)?

And ANOTHER thing... GDF won't allow himself getting rejected again. When SHU and SJU were able to get scores showing interest in their crap jobs, these public rejections by mid-major coaches really starts to reflect on him rather than the school.

Besides... Donahue has pride too. He can't have this hanging out there for 2 weeks. If Donahue is indeed a leader, GDF will need to set up a second interview for Wednesday. And will need to do it soon.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:25 pm

Exactly. From what I can tell, Gene is doing a pretty good job with the search and if he tops it off by hiring Donahue, then I will be pleased.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too? Shouldn't that have been at all mentioned? I mean, the link between BC and Gregory pretty much didn't exist outside this board, while the DePaul thing was everywhere. And Katz... what's this talk about rebuilding? I thought you said Al had this program in great shape and then the rug was pulled out from under him?

And another thing... doesn't BC have any effing backdoor channels for which to gauge Gregory's interest (without publicly being rejected)?

And ANOTHER thing... GDF won't allow himself getting rejected again. When SHU and SJU were able to get scores showing interest in their crap jobs, these public rejections by mid-major coaches really starts to reflect on him rather than the school.

Besides... Donahue has pride too. He can't have this hanging out there for 2 weeks. If Donahue is indeed a leader, GDF will need to set up a second interview for Wednesday. And will need to do it soon.

Donohue went first. I am sure he was told that Gene was going to be thorough. Which is not to say that they should keep him hanging, just that he knows the game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too? Shouldn't that have been at all mentioned? I mean, the link between BC and Gregory pretty much didn't exist outside this board, while the DePaul thing was everywhere. And Katz... what's this talk about rebuilding? I thought you said Al had this program in great shape and then the rug was pulled out from under him?

Katz went out of his way to make BC look bad with this piece. But I have a question for you, do you want a national search, which takes time and requires the season to end (Stevens) or do you want Gene to hurry up and hire Donahue without considering other options?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too? Shouldn't that have been at all mentioned? I mean, the link between BC and Gregory pretty much didn't exist outside this board, while the DePaul thing was everywhere.

Seems to me the article was based on the fact that Gregory told Katz he was contacted by BC (not re-upping as you seem to think it says - did you even read it?). While the article was not flattering with regards BC (not surprising seeing what corner he put himself in immediately), what does the news he is basing this story on have to do with DePaul?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:48 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Katz went out of his way to make BC look bad with this piece. But I have a question for you, do you want a national search, which takes time and requires the season to end (Stevens) or do you want Gene to hurry up and hire Donahue without considering other options?

You have a point here. Takes time to do a national search boys. Also, I have no idea what's going on with Katz lately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:55 pm

Exactly. From what I can tell, Gene is doing a pretty good job with the search and if he tops it off by hiring Donahue, then I will be pleased.

Look, I'm a pretty get-along, go-along guy, but this post made me go back in the house and grab my pitchfork and torch before typing a reply.

Seriously, you think he's "doing a pretty good job with the search?"

Based on every nugget of public information, here were all the candidates:

-Ed Cooley
-Bill Coen
-Steve Donahue
-Tommy Amaker
-Chris Mooney
-Brian Gregory
-Bruce Pearl
-maybe Brad Stevens

Let's "drill a little deeper," as a brain-dead corporate automaton would say. The first two candidates are former assistants of the coach we just paid $3 million to walk away. Putting merits aside, if we hire either of them, we'd in essence be paying $1.5 million annually for one of Al's assistants instead of just paying $1 million a year for Al. This after Gene made a big show about embarrassing Al publicly regarding his style of play - a style both of these guys share. And here's an exhaustive list of the other major conference jobs either Coen or Cooley were even remotely associated with this year: _______. Ok. And here's the list of major conference jobs either of them would be in the mix for next year: __________. This is not to say they're bad coaches or dumb guys, but come on. You can't reach like this after you just pushed a pretty successful coach out the door one year removed from 20 wins and a tournament appearance.

The last two names on that list were as likely to accept an offer from BC as Gene is to be able to reach a box of Boo-Berry cereal on the third shelf at the supermarket without a stepladder (i.e. very, very unlikely). If I were conducting a search for an MC for the Milton HS Winter Talent show, and I left a bunch of messages for Dave Letterman and Will Ferrell before settling on the night janitor at the high school (Mr. Gutierrez - a very funny and talented man in his own right), could I really get away with saying "Hey, I did an exhaustive, national search. Those guys never called me back, Mr. Gutierrez was very excited about the position, and his talking chihuahua hand puppet is just cracker jack stuff...you'll love it!"

So really, Gene uncovered four reasonable candidates. One of those was Tommy Amaker, who is a minority with big-time experience, coaching 3 miles from BC's campus - kind of hard to miss that one, even though he is actually a bad fit at BC. Another was Donahue, a northeastern guy who happened to have the two-week highlight of his coaching career exactly as Gene was firing Al - again, hard to miss. Mooney is another Ivy guy coming off his best season, so he certainly warranted a look, and Gregory actually made the most sense out of all these guys (based on Gene's stated criteria)...so naturally he got the most cursory involvement in the search.

This is a bigtime job - a head coaching opportunity in the ACC. And Gene's "national search" basically involved the exact four guys that anyone with access to the final standings in the Ivy League and A-10 could have identified as superficially acceptable candidates. No one even mildly unexpected, no hot assistant coaches from big time programs, no pro names, nothing except the safest, easiest-to-identify possibilities.

Very disappointing, at least to this BC alum.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

Look, I'm a pretty get-along, go-along guy, but this post made me go back in the house and grab my pitchfork and torch before typing a reply.

Seriously, you think he's "doing a pretty good job with the search?"

-Ed Cooley
-Bill Coen
-Steve Donahue
-Tommy Amaker
-Chris Mooney
-Brian Gregory
-Bruce Pearl
-maybe Brad Stevens

Let's "drill a little deeper," as a brain-dead corporate automaton would say. The first two candidates are former assistants of the coach we just paid $3 million to walk away. Putting merits aside, if we hire either of them, we'd in essence be paying $1.5 million annually for one of Al's assistants instead of just paying $1 million a year for Al. This after Gene made a big show about embarrassing Al publicly regarding his style of play - a style both of these guys share. And here's an exhaustive list of the other major conference jobs either Coen or Cooley were even remotely associated with this year: _______. Ok. And here's the list of major conference jobs either of them would be in the mix for next year: __________. This is not to say they're bad coaches or dumb guys, but come on. You can't reach like this after you just pushed a pretty successful coach out the door one year removed from 20 wins and a tournament appearance.

The last two names on that list were as likely to accept an offer from BC as Gene is to be able to reach a box of Boo-Berry cereal on the third shelf at the supermarket without a stepladder (i.e. very, very unlikely). If I were conducting a search for an MC for the Milton HS Winter Talent show, and I left a bunch of messages for Dave Letterman and Will Ferrell before settling on the night janitor at the high school (Mr. Gutierrez - a very funny and talented man in his own right), could I really get away with saying "Hey, I did an exhaustive, national search. Those guys never called me back, Mr. Gutierrez was very excited about the position, and his talking chihuahua hand puppet is just cracker jack stuff...you'll love it!"

So really, Gene uncovered four reasonable candidates. One of those was Tommy Amaker, who is a minority with big-time experience, coaching 3 miles from BC's campus - kind of hard to miss that one, even though he is actually a bad fit at BC. Another was Donahue, a northeastern guy who happened to have the two-week highlight of his coaching career exactly as Gene was firing Al - again, hard to miss. Mooney is another Ivy guy coming off his best season, so he certainly warranted a look, and Gregory actually made the most sense out of all these guys (based on Gene's stated criteria)...so naturally he got the most cursory involvement in the search.

This is a bigtime job - a head coaching opportunity in the ACC. And Gene's "national search" basically involved the exact four guys that anyone with access to the final standings in the Ivy League and A-10 could have identified as superficially acceptable candidates. No one even mildly unexpected, no hot assistant coaches from big time programs, no pro names, nothing except the safest, easiest-to-identify possibilities.

Who do you want to bring in? A Coach K assistant? No thanks. An Izzo assistant? Sure, but we basically tried that with Gregory. Boeheim assistant? Who?

As for the Al assistants, I've been operating under the assumption that these were courtesy interviews. If we actually hire one of them then I will be as disappointed as they come.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:03 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too? Shouldn't that have been at all mentioned? I mean, the link between BC and Gregory pretty much didn't exist outside this board, while the DePaul thing was everywhere.

Seems to me the article was based on the fact that Gregory told Katz he was contacted by BC (not re-upping as you seem to think it says - did you even read it?). While the article was not flattering with regards BC (not surprising seeing what corner he put himself in immediately), what does the news he is basing this story on have to do with DePaul?

Wait... are you going around demanding PROOF again???

Here it is... per Katz's Twitter account: http://twitter.com/espnandykatz
Dayton's Brian Gregory says no thanks to BC, second A-10 coach, also no DePaul, staying at Dayton: http://bit.ly/coZehJ
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:04 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Who do you want to bring in? A Coach K assistant? No thanks.

really?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Dayton's Brian Gregory says no thanks to BC, second A-10 coach, also no DePaul, staying at Dayton: http://bit.ly/coZehJ

WTF are you talking about? The article posted to start the thread was about BC contacting Gregory and him staying. I'm not saying he hasn't been mentioned for DePaul (because he has, a TON), I'm saying the article that started this thread doesn't say anything about DePaul because it was on ESPNBoston. New level of genius attained by HJS.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:09 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Who do you want to bring in? A Coach K assistant? No thanks.

really?

I wouldn't want Collins or Wojo. I don't know the others. Look at the relative lack of success from Amaker, Snyder, Brey, and so far, Dawkins.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

-Ed Cooley = TOTAL FUCKING LOSER
-Bill Coen = LAST CHANCE HOTEL.
-Steve Donahue = BEST OF BAD LITTER.
-Tommy Amaker =WORST!!!! OF BAD LITTER FAILURE AT SH AND MICHIGAN.
-Chris Mooney = AIN'T COMING!
-Brian Gregory = AIN'T COMING
-Bruce Pearl == WAS NEVER FOR YOU ASSCLOWNS AN OPTION

NOW YOU ARE TALKING!!!

-maybe Brad Stevens ===I PRAY AND HOPE!! GET OFFER SHEET READY!

1 -7

FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

WTF are you talking about? The article posted to start the thread was about BC contacting Gregory and him staying. I'm not saying he hasn't been mentioned for DePaul (because he has, a TON), I'm saying the article that started this thread doesn't say anything about DePaul because it was on ESPNBoston. New level of genius attained by HJS.

There you go demanding proof again. Here is a link the the NATIONAL Men's Hoops ESPN.com page. The third article down (just below Coach K telling the Nets no thanks) is the "Dayton's Gregory not pursuing BC job" and that takes you to the ESPNBoston article. The point... which you seem to be missing... is that Katz himself had been pimping Gregory for the DePaul gig for weeks. The real... non-biased news story here is that Gregory is staying at Dayton and NOT pursuing the DePaul job or the BC job (for which he had a preliminary conversation with GDF). This article was framed as BC getting bitch-slapped by Gregory (willing to not even interview) without the slightest mention of the school people were CONVINCED he would be coaching next year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Gene can go on about a national search because no one in the media, no one in the President's office and no big donor will call him on that hollow BS. He had two football searches where he hired two guys he previously knew and who were willing to say the right things and work with him. Gene fired Al not because he was against the Flex or how Al recruited, but because he could do it now. As Marky B wrote in the paper this weekend, Gene feared Al would get in the tournament next year and become unfireable again. This was his chance. So now Gene gets rid of Al for marketing reasons, and Colson and Cassara (two other things that wouldn't have happened had Al stayed). He gets a reasonable competent coach who he can push around.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:16 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

really?

I wouldn't want Collins or Wojo. I don't know the others. Look at the relative lack of success from Amaker, Snyder, Brey, and so far, Dawkins.

Dawkins has taken Stanford backwards in a matter of fact.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

really?

Dawkins has taken Stanford backwards in a matter of fact.

2 years in and he has an outstanding recruiting class coming in. Not that that has any impact at all on what Collins or anyone else might do, but it's way to early to say Dawkins has failed when most of his team is guys someone else recruited.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... are you going around demanding PROOF again???

There you go demanding proof again. Here is a link the the NATIONAL Men's Hoops ESPN.com page. The third article down (just below Coach K telling the Nets no thanks) is the "Dayton's Gregory not pursuing BC job" and that takes you to the ESPNBoston article. The point... which you seem to be missing... is that Katz himself had been pimping Gregory for the DePaul gig for weeks. The real... non-biased news story here is that Gregory is staying at Dayton and NOT pursuing the DePaul job or the BC job (for which he had a preliminary conversation with GDF). This article was framed as BC getting bitch-slapped by Gregory (willing to not even interview) without the slightest mention of the school people were CONVINCED he would be coaching next year.

You are seriously a half a retard short of a retard. An article about BC contacting Gregory does not require Katz to write about DePaul. What are you missing, sweetie?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:31 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

:81
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:40 pm

Who do you want to bring in? A Coach K assistant? No thanks. An Izzo assistant? Sure, but we basically tried that with Gregory. Boeheim assistant? Who?

So, let's get this straight...it's a good idea to talk to TWO Al Skinner assistants, but not Chris Collins? How about Mike Hopkins from Cuse? There are literally a dozen guys, minimum, who are at least worth kicking the tires on, yet Gene does a cursory search limited to a handful of second-tier candidates (again, Pearl and Stevens were not "candidates" for this job) and calls it a day.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

So, let's get this straight...it's a good idea to talk to TWO Al Skinner assistants, but not Chris Collins? How about Mike Hopkins from Cuse? There are literally a dozen guys, minimum, who are at least worth kicking the tires on, yet Gene does a cursory search limited to a handful of second-tier candidates (again, Pearl and Stevens were not "candidates" for this job) and calls it a day.

Thanks Pookie...Maybe they will listen to you...they despise me...!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

No one save ATL and a couple of posters with a lobotomies that "it's a good idea to talk to EITHER of Al Skinner's assistants."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Wait... does Katz just flat-out hate BC now? Wasn't Gregory pinned (by Katz) to be the main target for DePaul? Doesn't his re-upping at Dayton mean he is out as a candidate for DePaul too?

By the way, do you still think the article discussed his "re-upping"? Did you know that he signed a contract extension on 5/6/09 through 2017-2018? Unlike OJ, at least you know when to STFU when you've been put in your place.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

If Coach K called up Gene and said "you need to talk to Wojo" I think Gene would. But Gene not knowing the guys prior to the search hurt their candidacy from the start. Enthusiasm for the job is a big factor for Gene. Donahue, like Jags before him, helped his candidacy by reaching out to Gene right away. You must show respect and kiss the ring.

ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Jesus Christ.
I cannot believe Mr. No Value Added is here defending Andy Katz's anti-BC agenda while simultaneously supporting GDF for his "very good" NATIONAL search. Meanwhile, I am forced to go against my Gene-hating compadre for his over the top article. Cats and dogs sleeping together.

The goddamn news story here is NOT that GDF has a telephone call with Gregory. The goddamn news story here is that Gregory is staying at Dayton. This news effects DePaul much more than it does BC. Yet... the article is written in a way to make it seem like GDF got bitch-slapped by Grgegory and now 9with his search in shambles) is giving-up and falling back to Plan D as in Donahue.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum