I am on the Donohue Bandwagon

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: I am on the Donohue Bandwagon

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I know the AD sucks, and only calls like 5 guys for an open job, leaving the candidate pool stagnant.

Yeah, I know, there is a question about his recruiting. A question, mind you, not a negative like most of you knee jerkers would have it. We simply don't know whether he will get it done, that doesn't mean he won't.

But there is no question that the guy can coach, and that he has a dynamic offensive system. That's good enough for me, given the options.

This is a very good bottom line post.

You are right, the search and the search process are poor. Just like you point out, Donahue is not a proven recruiter. He has never recruited for a upper level D1 program as an assistant, let alone as a HC. This is something you would expect any ACC program with an open job not to have as an open question. Yes, he can coach.

But it is your comment, that "given the options" he is the best guy. That is what is really disappointing. He might work out very well for BC and there is no reason not to get behind him if he is hired. He is excited about the job and has a lot going for him. It is disappointing that BC will not be signing a coach with a resume that is more in line with an ACC level job. It is disheartening to see the "given the options" factor and knowing that the reason for that list is not: BC, the conference, money, etc.

I don't think the search has been bad. Who did you want to bring in - Kruger?? Many of the "desirable" candidates mentioned here on EO have at least been contacted.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:58 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I know the AD sucks, and only calls like 5 guys for an open job, leaving the candidate pool stagnant.

Yeah, I know, there is a question about his recruiting. A question, mind you, not a negative like most of you knee jerkers would have it. We simply don't know whether he will get it done, that doesn't mean he won't.

But there is no question that the guy can coach, and that he has a dynamic offensive system. That's good enough for me, given the options.

You are right, the search and the search process are poor. Just like you point out, Donahue is not a proven recruiter. He has never recruited for a upper level D1 program as an assistant, let alone as a HC. This is something you would expect any ACC program with an open job not to have as an open question. Yes, he can coach.

But it is your comment, that "given the options" he is the best guy. That is what is really disappointing. He might work out very well for BC and there is no reason not to get behind him if he is hired. He is excited about the job and has a lot going for him. It is disappointing that BC will not be signing a coach with a resume that is more in line with an ACC level job. It is disheartening to see the "given the options" factor and knowing that the reason for that list is not: BC, the conference, money, etc.

I don't think the search has been bad. Who did you want to bring in - Kruger?? Many of the "desirable" candidates mentioned here on EO have at least been contacted.

That's a load of crap. The attempt to get Pearl was lame at best. Instead of calling him under the pretense of getting Pearl's advice on 3 or 4 candidates, call him with a firm offer for 5 years and a shitload of money. Getting rejected by two (not one) A10 coaches is embarrassing.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:10 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:

THANK YOU!

BCWOFW -- You know they think I am crazy? I want the the best calculated risk...Mack, Stevens, Knight, Donahue, few, Bennett, Carlissimo, Aureiemma, Cousy, Red, Russell, Ainge, --

BC has time money and options.

THANK YOU!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:15 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

That's a load of crap. The attempt to get Pearl was lame at best. Instead of calling him under the pretense of getting Pearl's advice on 3 or 4 candidates, call him with a firm offer for 5 years and a shitload of money. Getting rejected by two (not one) A10 coaches is embarrassing.

You have no fucking clue what went on in the conversation with Pearl. There is a 99.999% chance it didn't go down exactly like you read in the paper.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

THANK YOU!

BCWOFW -- You know they think I am crazy? I want the the best calculated risk...Mack, Stevens, Knight, Donahue, few, Bennett, Carlissimo, Aureiemma, Cousy, Red, Russell, Ainge, --

THANK YOU!

how many people have to say "no thank you" before you realize that bc does NOT have as many options as you think.

look, we all want the best for our university and its athletic programs... but firing al has NOT proven to be the right answer (last week or 4 years ago) until a better solution has been put in place (and per the latest sports wire, that hasn't happened yet). we may hear a name in a day or two that says that YAY - WE GOT A BETTER COACH just as we might hear a name in a week or two that says WTF - WE'RE GOING BACKWARDS INSTEAD OF FORWARD.

until we know more, i refuse to accept anyone saying that firing al was the right answer

You are naive if you don't think Al had to be fired. So we didn't get Pearl....doesn't mean firing Al was the wrong thing to do. He was dragging the program down over the last several years and HAD to get canned.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:19 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Pearl's answer would have been the same no matter what. And it's certainly possible Gene said "what if we give you X amount of dollars?" As for the A10 coaches' rejections, that could also be a result of fearing they wouldn't get the job so they didn't want to look bad, Or, the BC job is not that attractive to the average coach and therefore maybe you should adjust your expectations. I love BC, but it ain't UNC. It's a bottom-tier ACC job along with Miami and maybe one or two other schools. That's not a "we are what we are" attitude, rather it's a "we are what we are right now" attitude. We have no fan support and our tradition is relatively limited. I am hopeful Donahue or whoever the next coach is will bring us to new heights.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:21 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

You have no fucking clue what went on in the conversation with Pearl. There is a 99.999% chance it didn't go down exactly like you read in the paper.

OJ is right... it was probably more like Pearl telling GDF he would come back to BC to coach and for only $1.5mm but Gene had to retire immediately.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:21 pm

I know what the conversation was with Bruce Pearl.

I will re-fire it.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Do you think the seach has been good? To date, I would say it seems poor.

How many candidates has BC brought in that would receive legit consideration for any other ACC opening? Coen and Cooley, at this point in time, would not IMHO, receive any consideration. Mooney, yes. But as one of several. Donahue, maybe. Are those acceptable results for you? I am ok saying that on the surface, this is a disappointing search. Again, as I posted elsewhere, that does not mean that Donahue or Cooley can't or won't be successful at BC or elsewhere. But for an ACC opening, this does not seem up to snuff. In all fairness, I have no idea who all the names are that BC quietly contacted or reached out to BC. The results to date are not stellar to be sure. So how do you rate the search? How do you think it compares to other ACC or good D1 openings the past few years?
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Pearl's answer would have been the same no matter what. And it's certainly possible Gene said "what if we give you X amount of dollars?" As for the A10 coaches' rejections, that could also be a result of fearing they wouldn't get the job so they didn't want to look bad, Or, the BC job is not that attractive to the average coach and therefore maybe you should adjust your expectations. I love BC, but it ain't UNC. It's a bottom-tier ACC job along with Miami and maybe one or two other schools. That's not a "we are what we are" attitude, rather it's a "we are what we are right now" attitude. We have no fan support and our tradition is relatively limited. I am hopeful Donahue or whoever the next coach is will bring us to new heights.

That's what BC has been for 40+ years. This is an opportunity to change it. My expectations are in line with reality.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

King of Dicks, I am 100% confident I know more than you.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:25 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I know what the conversation was with Bruce Pearl.

I will re-fire it.

You will, really? I'm shocked.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Shredder on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:26 pm

I think the search is ok. I actually prefer that Gene identified his top candidates and went after them rather than interview all sorts of people and drag the process out. SJU was looking pretty bad being turned down by Paul Hewitt and then having to interview Skinner and finally Lavin. Oregon is openly saying it will give a blank check to the right coach and has no biters. Although Mooney stepped out, no one has publicly turned down an offer from BC. The fact that Mooney signed an extension and Amaker, who wasn't even really considered, received an extension, shows that BC is a threat. Reading between the lines of the recent articles, Gregory and Mooney don't want to have to build an ACC program. Interestingly, Donahue has not been mentioned in extension talks with Cornell. I'm guessing Gene has had his sights set on him long before he sent Al packing.

When Gene and Pearl had that conversation, they both knew what was up. The job was Pearl's if he wanted to leave Tennessee. Maybe the money wasn't a complete match but he seemed sincere in saying that although he'd love to go back to Boston, he feels loyal to UT and wants to finish what he started. How bad would it look if it came out that BC was offering a boatload and the boat to Pearl and he turned it down? At least this way there's a slight endorsement from Pearl that the BC job is pretty good.
Last edited by Shredder on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:27 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

This is a stupid fanboy post. You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

This is a stupid fanboy post. You really have no idea what you're talking about, do you?

"Fanboy" that sounds like I have teh ghey. You can't seriously think that Gene had any intentions of really going after Pearl? If you do, you a quite the dumbass. I also didn't think Pearl would accept any offer that Gene would throw at him but I believe what was written about this one. Gene can't sell the school to anyone.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:37 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:I know what the conversation was with Bruce Pearl.

I will re-fire it.

You will, really? I'm shocked.

Thanks.

I live to piss you assclowns off...

Bob Knight has been contacted.

:lol:
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:"Fanboy" that sounds like I have teh ghey. You can't seriously think that Gene had any intentions of really going after Pearl? If you do, you a quite the dumbass.

I never accused you of having teh ghey. I'm sure many people think I am a dumbass, so get in line. ;)

I have no idea what Gene's intentions were. I'm pretty confident, however, that if Pearl had said: "Gene! I was hoping you'd call 'cause I really want to be BC's head coach - and you only need to absorb that $3 million buyout and match my current salary!" - than we'd all be ready to act teh gey and start doing a Bob Huggins on one another because there would be a press conference today announcing that Pearl was the new head coach. But that just was not realistic - and was certainly no more realistic than the suggestion from many people that BC should just blow the whole college basketball world apart by making Pearl the highest paid college coach in the universe to bring him to the Heights. I just don't think people who advocate this approach are being realistic. People who advocate this approach can blame Gene all they want, but I don't think it would have mattered whether we had Gene or John Swofford or anyone else was our AD - BC as an institution just would not want to be anywhere near just throwing "a shitload of money" at Pearl for a variety of reasons.

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I also didn't think Pearl would accept any offer that Gene would throw at him but I believe what was written about this one. Gene can't sell the school to anyone.

If we wind up with Donahue he will have sold a pretty successful outsider on BC. I know, I know, alot of you will say Donahue would die to come here - but how would you feel if his name were no longer in the mix? I mean, I'll give Gene the benefit of the doubt for the moment until the search is complete. If Gene does what I expect (i.e., make a pitch to Stevens tomorrow and then get rebuffed, followed by a Donahue hire), then I'll think Gene handled it about as well as possible. I'll then start praying that Donahue turns into the next Jay Wright. If Gene gets Donahue here I think he could do some great things. I just can't fault Gene for failing to get Pearl because I just don't think that was ever a realistic possibility.
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:"Fanboy" that sounds like I have teh ghey. You can't seriously think that Gene had any intentions of really going after Pearl? If you do, you a quite the dumbass.

I never accused you of having teh ghey. I'm sure many people think I am a dumbass, so get in line.

I have no idea what Gene's intentions were. I'm pretty confident, however, that if Pearl had said: "Gene! I was hoping you'd call 'cause I really want to be BC's head coach - and you only need to absorb that $3 million buyout and match my current salary!" - than we'd all be ready to act teh gey and start doing a Bob Huggins on one another because there would be a press conference today announcing that Pearl was the new head coach. But that just was not realistic - and was certainly no more realistic than the suggestion from many people that BC should just blow the whole college basketball world apart by making Pearl the highest paid college coach in the universe to bring him to the Heights. I just don't think people who advocate this approach are being realistic. People who advocate this approach can blame Gene all they want, but I don't think it would have mattered whether we had Gene or John Swofford or anyone else was our AD - BC as an institution just would not want to be anywhere near just throwing "a shitload of money" at Pearl for a variety of reasons.

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I also didn't think Pearl would accept any offer that Gene would throw at him but I believe what was written about this one. Gene can't sell the school to anyone.

If we wind up with Donahue he will have sold a pretty successful outsider on BC. I know, I know, alot of you will say Donahue would die to come here - but how would you feel if his name were no longer in the mix? I mean, I'll give Gene the benefit of the doubt for the moment until the search is complete. If Gene does what I expect (i.e., make a pitch to Stevens tomorrow and then get rebuffed, followed by a Donahue hire), then I'll think Gene handled it about as well as possible. I'll then start praying that Donahue turns into the next Jay Wright. If Gene gets Donahue here I think he could do some great things. I just can't fault Gene for failing to get Pearl because I just don't think that was ever a realistic possibility.

You have more faith in Gene than I do. I actually donm't mind the Donahue hire but as I said, I think Gene gave a half-assed attempt at a national search.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:51 pm

The more I read about this, the more I think Gene really liked that Donohue was aggressive in pursuing the job and then absolutely aced the interview. I think this thing has been over since Donohue kissed the ring. I think Gene has his mind made up, had a couple of long shots that he assumed he would like better than Donohue (Stephens, Pearl) and felt the need to give Cooley and Coen a shot to convince him otherwise. That may be why the search didn't go farther than it might have otherwise.

At least I am hoping.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The more I read about this, the more I think Gene really liked that Donohue was aggressive in pursuing the job and then absolutely aced the interview. I think this thing has been over since Donohue kissed the ring. I think Gene has his mind made up, had a couple of long shots that he assumed he would like better than Donohue (Stephens, Pearl) and felt the need to give Cooley and Coen a shot to convince him otherwise. That may be why the search didn't go farther than it might have otherwise.

At least I am hoping.

The Coen/Cooley stuff could just be a way to make those two more marketable for other jobs, kind of like how Brian Toal made it seem like Rutgers was his second choice.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby cornellfan on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:I think the search is ok. I actually prefer that Gene identified his top candidates and went after them rather than interview all sorts of people and drag the process out. SJU was looking pretty bad being turned down by Paul Hewitt and then having to interview Skinner and finally Lavin. Oregon is openly saying it will give a blank check to the right coach and has no biters. Although Mooney stepped out, no one has publicly turned down an offer from BC. The fact that Mooney signed an extension and Amaker, who wasn't even really considered, received an extension, shows that BC is a threat. Reading between the lines of the recent articles, Gregory and Mooney don't want to have to build an ACC program. Interestingly, Donahue has not been mentioned in extension talks with Cornell. I'm guessing Gene has had his sights set on him long before he sent Al packing.

Cornell has not mentioned it in the public but his contract has most likely been extended several times over the past few years. But it doesnt really matter because BC would likely increase his salary by probably a factor of 5 as he makes about 200k so he is not going to say no to BC since Cornell cannot pay that kind of money.
cornellfan
n00b

Postby BCWest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The more I read about this, the more I think Gene really liked that Donohue was aggressive in pursuing the job and then absolutely aced the interview. I think this thing has been over since Donohue kissed the ring. I think Gene has his mind made up, had a couple of long shots that he assumed he would like better than Donohue (Stephens, Pearl) and felt the need to give Cooley and Coen a shot to convince him otherwise. That may be why the search didn't go farther than it might have otherwise.

At least I am hoping.

Twballgame9 is on a roll. I am just dittoing most of his posts today.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

At least I am hoping.

The Coen/Cooley stuff could just be a way to make those two more marketable for other jobs, kind of like how Brian Toal made it seem like Rutgers was his second choice.

This is what I was thinking. He goes out of his way to praise those guys in that NESN interview. I think this is a "everybody wins" situation - we show some loyalty to some "BC guys" and give them a chance to "wow" their way to the job (however unlikely), and they at least get a raise from their schools and get their names thrown into the big leagues for subsequent coaching searches.

I think its Donahue unless a major name emerges in the next day. And I like that a lot.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby ADonovanJr on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:29 pm

I was talking to a guy we have got to know since becoming part of the BC community. He is involved in fund raising for the athletic department. That's how I got to know him. He hit us up for money. I thought Penn State was bad with the begging, but BC is very aggressive. Anyway, he told me today that it was probably the Cornell guy. I'm not sure how much he knows, but he does know the AD very well. I'm pretty sure he was setting me up for a fund raising call. Maybe he was just seeing if he could set the hook by mentioning Donahue.

Either way, it would be a solid hire. The guy built a solid program from crap. He is used to dealing with guys who go to class and can spell the name of their school without help.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:You know who will be an absolutely HUGE BC fan if we hire Donahue? This guy.

Article explaining my reference: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02863.html

Also of note from the article (and I am real afraid to mention this because of the Jags situation), but one of Donahue's 4 kids has a form of autism. From an embedding himself in the community perspective, you'd have to think that The Flutie Foundation would likely be a cause close to his heart.

Finally, surprised no one mentioned that he just won the Clair Bee Coach of the Year award.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Bee_ ... Year_Award
The Selection Committee was composed of: Dan Beebe, Jay Bilas, Dave Gavitt, Bob Hammel, Bob Knight, Pat Knight, Billy Packer, Dean Smith, and Dick Vitale.
The Clair Bee Coach of the Year Award honors a Division I men's basketball coach who through his actions on and off the court makes an outstanding contribution to the sport of college basketball. The criteria for this award include a coach's ability to inspire, motivate, coach, and educate his team to achieve its fullest potential awhile insisting upon and demonstrating outstanding character and academic success.
The list of coaching finalists for the Clair Bee Award are:
Steve Donahue, Cornell University
Ben Jacobson, University of Northern Iowa
Dave Rose, Brigham Young University
Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M University

I am just rebumping this post because I think it gives some good info on The Don. Unfortunately, this thread got sidetracked by OJ who decided not to use it as an opportunity to join the Donahue Bandwagon, but instead to flame about why Skinner should be fired (in doing so, again implying that he isn't a fan of Coach D).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

74, I do not think you were wrong about your posts. It is time to get on board with Donahue. But, BC should clearly be able to attract, interview, and hire more established coaches. BC should not have to hire guys with this much uncertainty. When you actually look at BC's athletic department budget, conference and stature, these searches should include significantly more established and accomplished candidates.

Donahue is now the coach. By all accounts a good coach and a fit for BC. EVER TO EXCEL!
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:32 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
THANK YOU!

THANK YOU!

74, I do not think you were wrong about your posts. It is time to get on board with Donahue. But, BC should clearly be able to attract, interview, and hire more established coaches. BC should not have to hire guys with this much uncertainty. When you actually look at BC's athletic department budget, conference and stature, these searches should include significantly more established and accomplished candidates.

Donahue is now the coach. By all accounts a good coach and a fit for BC. EVER TO EXCEL!

Amen. Somewhere hereI posted your sentiments!

See you at the Final Four in 3 years.

I'll be the one beating 9 and saying ...see 40 minutes of hell you ambulance chasing pain in my ass. :lol: :lol:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum