I am on the Donohue Bandwagon

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

I am on the Donohue Bandwagon

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:55 am

Yeah, I know the AD sucks, and only calls like 5 guys for an open job, leaving the candidate pool stagnant.

Yeah, I know, there is a question about his recruiting. A question, mind you, not a negative like most of you knee jerkers would have it. We simply don't know whether he will get it done, that doesn't mean he won't.

But there is no question that the guy can coach, and that he has a dynamic offensive system. That's good enough for me, given the options.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: I am on the Donohue Bandwagon

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 am

+1 and welcome to the bandwagon. There's still plenty of room remaining.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

Donahue was not my first choice but I have full confidence he will succeed at BC.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:02 am

I agree with you. There are some questions, but I'd feel a lot better about the program than I did one month ago. One could make an argument that he is the best realistic option out there.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:03 am

I am fine if he is the hire. I'm actually starting to get excited about the prospect of having him at BC.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:+1 and welcome to the bandwagon. There's still plenty of room remaining.

Given that Pearl was never an option and the AD was never going beyond the likes of Gregory, Mooney and Stevens, I have always been on the Donohue bandwagon.

And I would rather contract small pox than hear that Coen or Cooley get hired this week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 am

He's far from my first choice, but I'd be content to see how it goes before passing judgment.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:And I would rather contract small pox than hear that Coen or Cooley get hired this week.

Make sure your vaccinations are up to date. This is GDF we are dealing with.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am

I like Donahue. He seems to have the right personality and coaching style for a team that needs a boost of enthusiasm. His teams are exciting to watch, despite the fact that they're Ivy League players. Just imagine what he could do with Reggie.

He's done everything he can do in the Ivy League. It's time for him to move up. BC seems like the right spot for him.

I like Gregory too but I don't know if he's an actual candidate. If this is another sham of a national search and the only real candidates are the ones who have officially interviewed, then Donahue seems like the best option to me.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am

Of the three "finalists," Donahue seems like the only guy that would not have been available if the coaching search was conducted in April 2011.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:14 am

talon {l Wrote}:Of the three "finalists," Donahue seems like the only guy that would not have been available if the coaching search was conducted in April 2011.

Exactly. If you are going to fire Al, fucking fire him. Don't half ass it. If you are going to retire Al and bring in a guy to carry on his legacy, don't fucking fire him like this.

I have no problem with Gene deciding to shit can Al, although as you all know, I think he should have had another year. I will have a problem with Coen or Cooley.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:16 am

talon {l Wrote}:Of the three "finalists," Donahue seems like the only guy that would not have been available if the coaching search was conducted in April 2011.

Agreed. Here is a good article on Donahue and Dunphy. I am a fan of Dunphy (he's too old for the BC gig). I like that Donahue cut his teeth under Dunphy's tutelage.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03874.html
Last edited by HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I know the AD sucks, and only calls like 5 guys for an open job, leaving the candidate pool stagnant.

Yeah, I know, there is a question about his recruiting. A question, mind you, not a negative like most of you knee jerkers would have it. We simply don't know whether he will get it done, that doesn't mean he won't.

But there is no question that the guy can coach, and that he has a dynamic offensive system. That's good enough for me, given the options.

Wow, I haven't heard he is the leading and only candidate in 4 publications and 50,000 posts???

And I am redundant??? WTF???

Stephen Who????

...jumping on the one and only bandwagon takes some real balls when the other 2 options are C&C?

.....maybe we can start a bandwagon for Mack or Stevens....even Gregory...

Me? I was the only passenger on the get Al Barcolounger Skinner the fuck outta my alma mater BANDWAGON for at least 4 years and you defended the Lazy Elvis every god damn step of the way and now I got 81 with his bust my balls polls?

Here is a clue:

I am on the Bob Knight and Nolan Richardson "bandwagon as you say" since 2006.

I was the only one onboard and only one trying to push Lazy Elvis into the Charles for 4 years? (Maybe Logo and ED too)

WHERE THE FUCK were you and everyone else when I called for his firing this year (and Past) and the Sunday Night buyout?

WTF were you when I blistered him for the 2009 donut in recruiting?

This reminds me of the last helicopter out of Saigon?

74 ain't holding on to that last landing skid BC GUYS!!!

I will fight the god damn naysayers and lackies and commie gooks till the bitter fucking end!

I WANT BETTER!!! WAY BETTER!!!

FUCK THE DONAHUE BANDWAGON!

Cornell ain't even no mid major and he had a whole crew of Seniors in a bad NCAA field.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Yeah, I know the AD sucks, and only calls like 5 guys for an open job, leaving the candidate pool stagnant.

Wow, I haven't heard he is the leading and only candidate in 4 publicatiosna nd 5000 posts???

And I am redundant??? WTF???

Stephen Who????

...jumping on the one and only bandwagon takes some real balls when the other 2 options are C&C?

.....maybe we can start a bandwagon for Mack or Stevens....even Gregory...

Me? I was the only passenger on the get Al Barcolounger Skinner the fuckk outta my alma mater for at least 4 years and you defended the Lazy Elvis every god damn step of the way and now I got 81 with his bust my balls polls?

Here is a clue:

I am on the Bob Knight and Nolan Richardson "bandwagon as you say" since 2006.

I was the only one onboard and only one trying to push Lazy Elvis into the Charles for 4 years? (Maybe Logo and ED too)

WHERE THE FUCK were you and everyone else when I called for his firing this year (and Past) and the Sunday Night buyout?

WTF were you when I blistered him for the 2009 donut in recruiting?

This reminds me of the last helicopter out of Saigon?

74 ain't holding on to that last landing skid BC GUYS!!!

I will fight the gid damn naysayers and lackies and gooks till the bitter fucking end!

I WANT BETTER!!! WAY BETTER!!!

FUCK THE DONAHUE BANDWAGON!

Cornell ain't even no mid major and he had a whole crew of Seniors in a bad field.

For the record, TRE, I didn't read this post because I knew what it said already.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Donahue

Look at this record, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st. He doesn't have anything left to prove at that level anymore.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

A bad young Kentucky blew Cornell out since TALENT REIGSN SUPREME and this guy can't recruit well?

I bet you knew what this said and it says....

FUCK EVERYBODY! :lol: :lol:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:21 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:A bad young Kentucky blew Cornell out since TALENT REIGSN SUPREME and this guy can't recruit well?

I bet you knew what this said and it says....

FUCK EVERYBODY! :lol: :lol:

How the fuck do you know this guy can't recruit?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:25 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so what 74 is saying is that al needed to be fired no matter who replaces him. am i understanding this correctly?

I NEVER SAID THAT--GO FIND IT!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 am

You know who will be an absolutely HUGE BC fan if we hire Donahue? This guy.

Article explaining my reference: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02863.html

Also of note from the article (and I am real afraid to mention this because of the Jags situation), but one of Donahue's 4 kids has a form of autism. From an embedding himself in the community perspective, you'd have to think that The Flutie Foundation would likely be a cause close to his heart.

Finally, surprised no one mentioned that he just won the Clair Bee Coach of the Year award.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clair_Bee_ ... Year_Award
The Selection Committee was composed of: Dan Beebe, Jay Bilas, Dave Gavitt, Bob Hammel, Bob Knight, Pat Knight, Billy Packer, Dean Smith, and Dick Vitale.
The Clair Bee Coach of the Year Award honors a Division I men's basketball coach who through his actions on and off the court makes an outstanding contribution to the sport of college basketball. The criteria for this award include a coach's ability to inspire, motivate, coach, and educate his team to achieve its fullest potential awhile insisting upon and demonstrating outstanding character and academic success.
The list of coaching finalists for the Clair Bee Award are:
Steve Donahue, Cornell University
Ben Jacobson, University of Northern Iowa
Dave Rose, Brigham Young University
Mark Turgeon, Texas A&M University
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:32 am

YES ASSHOLE!

I named 10 guys better than Donahue recently and 10 in the last 4 years!

FUCK EVERYBODY!!

:lol: :lol:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:36 am

This reminds me of my first week in August 2003 nuclear wars!

I am so glad we are still in the Big East and lets give TOB a few more years!

ENJOY!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby auggiebc on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:36 am

IS GDF back from his 3-day vacation? Is he interviewing anyone else or just Cooley, Coen and Donahue?

The "national search" is over?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:39 am

I'd be okay with Donahue as HC, but he better fucking arm himself with good assistants and ones that can fucking recruit their asses off!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear anymore about under the radar, family hidden jewels, unpolished stones or whatever the fuck people call them. Bring in ACC fucking caliber players and Donahue will be great!
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:45 am

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:I'd be okay with Donahue as HC, but he better fucking arm himself with good assistants and ones that can fucking recruit their asses off!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear anymore about under the radar, family hidden jewels, unpolished stones or whatever the fuck people call them. Bring in ACC fucking caliber players and Donahue will be great!

Duquette and Preston Murphy seem to be Spaz and McGovern. So, he has only one bullet to use on a kickass recruiter... unless you consider Duquette and Muphy kickass recruiters (like ATL does).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:48 am

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}: I don't want to hear anymore about under the radar, family hidden jewels

I would steer clear of the Mary Ann's board then. TRE loves linking to photos of family jewels. :dildodog
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 am

Check out the youtube video on this Cornell blog page (right column, about halfway down the page). There are some very flattering comments about Donahue from Coach K, Boeheim and Jeff Beilein.

http://cornellbasketball.blogspot.com/2010/03/donahue-carousel-update.html#more
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby DaveSpeed on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:I'd be okay with Donahue as HC, but he better fucking arm himself with good assistants and ones that can fucking recruit their asses off!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear anymore about under the radar, family hidden jewels, unpolished stones or whatever the fuck people call them. Bring in ACC fucking caliber players and Donahue will be great!

Duquette and Preston Murphy seem to be Spaz and McGovern. So, he has only one bullet to use on a kickass recruiter... unless you consider Duquette and Muphy kickass recruiters (like ATL does).

You got one bullet left...then go hire Barry Rohrssen from Manhattan and pay him big bucks to bring in recruits like he did for Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Wishful thinking, so Murphy better get ready to recruit and sell this program. He's young, played D-1 ball, played overseas, has his degree and I'm sure many African American recruits will view him as a role model. Murphy has it all!!!! Wait, HJS, how the hell do we know that Duquette and Murphy will still have their jobs when the new staff comes into place? Is this part of Gene's requirement?
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 pm

DaveSpeed {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You got one bullet left...then go hire Barry Rohrssen from Manhattan and pay him big bucks to bring in recruits like he did for Jamie Dixon at Pitt. Wishful thinking, so Murphy better get ready to recruit and sell this program. He's young, played D-1 ball, played overseas, has his degree and I'm sure many African American recruits will view him as a role model. Murphy has it all!!!! Wait, HJS, how the hell do we know that Duquette and Murphy will still have their jobs when the new staff comes into place? Is this part of Gene's requirement?

They seem to be a GDF demand. As for Murphy, I have no problem with him. He seems well-liked and hear he is a real good guy. That said, the new coach should be allowed to bring in whoever the hell he wants.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DaveSpeed on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:13 pm

Murphy has been with BC for four years and correct me if I'm wrong, but as DBO, I believe that he wasn't able to go on the road and recruit. The guy is 32 years old, he's been here four years, time to take the leash off and let him recruit. I'm sure he's hungry to build a winner at BC.
DaveSpeed
Carney Hall

Postby BCWest on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:43 pm

This is a very good bottom line post.

You are right, the search and the search process are poor. Just like you point out, Donahue is not a proven recruiter. He has never recruited for a upper level D1 program as an assistant, let alone as a HC. This is something you would expect any ACC program with an open job not to have as an open question. Yes, he can coach.

But it is your comment, that "given the options" he is the best guy. That is what is really disappointing. He might work out very well for BC and there is no reason not to get behind him if he is hired. He is excited about the job and has a lot going for him. It is disappointing that BC will not be signing a coach with a resume that is more in line with an ACC level job. It is disheartening to see the "given the options" factor and knowing that the reason for that list is not: BC, the conference, money, etc.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum