"______ has been her _______teen years"

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

"______ has been her _______teen years"

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 pm

In the NESN interview GDF goes on about change and tenure. Maybe someone should point out to Leahy that our AD has been in place 13 years.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: "______ has been her _______teen years"

Postby totheights on Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:46 am

I thought this thread was going in a whoooooooole other direction due to the typo in the title.

Say what about her teen years? :flagus
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:09 am

This "national" search is proving to be as fraudulent as the post-Jags search. It's decision time and we are down to three candidates (now that there is non-mutual interest with Gregory, according to the Globe). Two of the candidates are former assistants of Al, who our AD says we want to distance our future performance from; the other is an Ivy League coach with some questions of his own.

Nice work, Gene. In Japan, the sword would be through his belly by now -- if he had any honor whatsoever.
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby auggiebc on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 am

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This "national" search is proving to be as fraudulent as the post-Jags search. It's decision time and we are down to three candidates (now that there is non-mutual interest with Gregory, according to the Globe). Two of the candidates are former assistants of Al, who our AD says we want to distance our future performance from; the other is an Ivy League coach with some questions of his own.

Nice work, Gene. In Japan, the sword would be through his belly by now -- if he had any honor whatsoever.

bingo. i just said the same exact thing in another thread. our "national search" could have been conducted from the fucking MBTA green line.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:55 am

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:This "national" search is proving to be as fraudulent as the post-Jags search. It's decision time and we are down to three candidates (now that there is non-mutual interest with Gregory, according to the Globe). Two of the candidates are former assistants of Al, who our AD says we want to distance our future performance from; the other is an Ivy League coach with some questions of his own.

Sorry if this has been posted but would someone please enlighten me as to what is wrong with Brian Gregory? He has a terrific overall record at Dayton, recruits well and is a highly regarded protege of Tom Izzo. But the comments here indicate that he is some kind of head case from a personality standpoint. I have looked on line and haven't seen anything. Where is that coming from? Speaking of head cases - someone told me that Bob Knight is bored in retirement. Gene would never have the balls to hire him but can you imagine the buzz he would create for the program? Putting aside his anger management issues, I actually agree with the guy on most everything he says re the state of college sports, academic integrity, etc. And there is always the potential that he would beat our AD to death in a raging fit of anger. I tell you - it would be exciting!
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:09 am

Competent, secure bosses hire subordinates BETTER than they are. Incompetent, insecure boses hire people that are inferior to their skills and that they can control. GDF is clearly the latter. There will never be a coach of any stature that he will hire. I am willing to conjecture that GDF would not have hired either Coughlin or Henning. First, Coughlin would have let him know that HE was running the Fball show, not GDF. So, he would have been out. Henning, despite his lack of performance at BC, was a fairly big name for BC to get with his pro coaching experience and would have been "too big" for GDF.

We have a school in BC that is the best in the universe--academically, Boston, athletics, great students/alumni, a good Bball tradition and WE ARE IN THE ACC. Our lot comes down to two former assistants and an Ivy League coach. I am speechless.

This is sad. He is ruining BC athletics.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:

Sorry if this has been posted but would someone please enlighten me as to what is wrong with Brian Gregory? He has a terrific overall record at Dayton, recruits well and is a highly regarded protege of Tom Izzo. But the comments here indicate that he is some kind of head case from a personality standpoint. I have looked on line and haven't seen anything. Where is that coming from? Speaking of head cases - someone told me that Bob Knight is bored in retirement. Gene would never have the balls to hire him but can you imagine the buzz he would create for the program? Putting aside his anger management issues, I actually agree with the guy on most everything he says re the state of college sports, academic integrity, etc. And there is always the potential that he would beat our AD to death in a raging fit of anger. I tell you - it would be exciting!

Nothing is wrong with Gregory...ATL has floated garbage that Gregory isn't liked by anyone and borders on criminally insane and thus because he is the antithesis of Skinner, would be a bad fit. Especially considering...you know...the endless stream of tournament wins that came under the previous regime (thus the constant lobbying for "ace recruiter" Duquette).
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Dave:

I don't think Gregory would be a good fit. If you think his personality stuff is BS, that won't bother me. I am not on some Coen/Cooley agenda. I like Donahue and would welcome him. I would love to see Gene land an A lister. Ask Dayton folks about Gregory.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:In the NESN interview GDF goes on about change and tenure. Maybe someone should point out to Leahy that our AD has been in place 13 years.

How does that compare to other ADs? I'm sure the average tenure is much longer than that of basketball coaches. I'm no Gene fan, and I respect you, but I think you need to ease up a bit on Gene. Skinner's best days were behind him and Gene pulled the trigger. Good. For the first time in a while, I am excited about BC basketball.

Now, if you want to talk about donor based seating and other ticket policies, that is a different story.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Dave:

I don't think Gregory would be a good fit. If you think his personality stuff is BS, that won't bother me. I am not on some Coen/Cooley agenda. I like Donahue and would welcome him. I would love to see Gene land an A lister. Ask Dayton folks about Gregory.

Sorry - but I really don't know anyone from Dayton. I have looked through their local paper including the comments on BG stories. There is the usual mix of praise and criticism but nothing about his personality or character other than he is intense and highly competitive. And nobody there seems to want to lose him. I'm not saying you are wrong but if he had a real problem worth noting - it usually gets picked up in the press or in the unrestrained comments. So fill us in.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 am

I highly disagree that you don't have a Coen/Cooley agenda. I have an agenda for Donahue, but at least I'll put it out there. The agenda is I want to start winning again in basketball.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 am

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:

Sorry - but I really don't know anyone from Dayton. I have looked through their local paper including the comments on BG stories. There is the usual mix of praise and criticism but nothing about his personality or character other than he is intense and highly competitive. And nobody there seems to want to lose him. I'm not saying you are wrong but if he had a real problem worth noting - it usually gets picked up in the press or in the unrestrained comments. So fill us in.

I went looking at the message boards when he was still considered the favorite for the Iowa job and the fans were begging he not leave... talking about his high character for not interviewing during the season... etc. Maybe there is an anti-Gregory blog out there or something. The only negative I heard thrown at Gregory is that he is TOO intense and TOO demanding and he makes his assistants work as long as he does... which is around the clock... 24/7/365. I don't view that as a negative. He is also a screamer... but, that is a freaking pre-req for this job search. GDF said he wants a guy jumping all over the sidelines and working the refs.

The real reason Gregory won't be hired is because he and GDF are the same height. Two people with Napoleonic Disorder under the same roof is very dangerous.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:

I went looking at the message boards when he was still considered the favorite for the Iowa job and the fans were begging he not leave... talking about his high character for not interviewing during the season... etc. Maybe there is an anti-Gregory blog out there or something. The only negative I heard thrown at Gregory is that he is TOO intense and TOO demanding and he makes his assistants work as long as he does... which is around the clock... 24/7/365. I don't view that as a negative. He is also a screamer... but, that is a freaking pre-req for this job search. GDF said he wants a guy jumping all over the sidelines and working the refs.

The real reason Gregory won't be hired is because he and GDF are the same height. Two people with Napoleonic Disorder under the same roof is very dangerous.

Talking about shock going from Al Skinner to Brian Gregory. Minus the fact that I'm sure Gregory, you know, probably tries to recruit, his yelling on the sideline is going to scare some of our players, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}: GDF said he wants a guy jumping all over the sidelines and working the refs.

Yeah, he never said that. Thanks.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:08 pm

First off ATL...I like your blog and appreciate the work you do for the BC community...but seriously, cut the bullshit. You've been on a Coen/Cooley agenda from the moment this broke, and were the staunchest of defenders for Al and the mediocrity that accompanied it. Further, with the increasing likelihood that neither Coen or Cooley will be hired to replace him (bordering on a guarantee as of this afternoon), you're now crusading for Pat Duquette to remain on staff as an assistant, despite no evidence that he's even what can be considered a moderately competent recruiter (supposedly a contingency to hiring Donahue).

We get it, you liked the Skinner regime, and whether you have some secondary motive or not (sources perhaps), don't try and tell us that you haven't been promoting that agenda from day 1.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Donahue was already talking to possible assistants..

He sounds confident.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:20 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Donahue was already talking to possible assistants..

He sounds confident.

Good.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum