Coen

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coen

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 am

A Bob Knight hire would be worse than Coen or Cooley. The guy is almost 70 and his few years at TT were mediocre at best. He belongs in the Steve Lappas category - "Don't mention because it ain't happening and even if it did happen it would be a disaster"
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCBaseball on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am

As has been alluded to, Coen and Murph ( old man ) are tight enough...like to play the ponies together. Gene will certainly not be influenced by that...it would merely be a by-product of a decision.

The zero sum logic on this board is something...for what it's worth Coen and Cooley would both be great hires. Good basketball guys with solid recruiting connections.

The focus of everyone ( understandably, with the vacancy ) is on the coach, but the things which will affect the wins/losses the most are still the off-the-court issues. Coen and Cooley know these issues and are ( apparently) prepared to work through them. Outside candidates...may not be as aware of them.

I can think of a couple guys who would have come to BC if Coen was the main guy, not just a guy recruiting him. I have heard similar re: Cooley and even Duke. The broad brush doesn't fit. One of Skinners STRENGTHS was his staff...that's a key to his approach.

Coen has ties to that area/people, and Siena is one of the best mid-major jobs in the country. Siena is waiting on this...
BCBaseball
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 am

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:As has been alluded to, Coen and Murph ( old man ) are tight enough...like to play the ponies together. Gene will certainly not be influenced by that...it would merely be a by-product of a decision.

The zero sum logic on this board is something...for what it's worth Coen and Cooley would both be great hires. Good basketball guys with solid recruiting connections.

The focus of everyone ( understandably, with the vacancy ) is on the coach, but the things which will affect the wins/losses the most are still the off-the-court issues. Coen and Cooley know these issues and are ( apparently) prepared to work through them. Outside candidates...may not be as aware of them.

I can think of a couple guys who would have come to BC if Coen was the main guy, not just a guy recruiting him. I have heard similar re: Cooley and even Duke. The broad brush doesn't fit. One of Skinners STRENGTHS was his staff...that's a key to his approach.

Coen has ties to that area/people, and Siena is one of the best mid-major jobs in the country. Siena is waiting on this...

Care to elaborate on the off-the-court issues? You talking about how half our team smokes :seanwilliams and plays like it on the court? If you just want a recruiter who's a medicore coach, go get Josh Pastner from Memphis. Donahue can flat out coach, which is very appealing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 am

Ugh, I hate the idea that only coaches who are already familiar with BC can ever be successful at BC. Just because Donahue hasn't coached at BC before doesn't mean he can't understand a small private school with academic standards and competitive athletics. BC is an unusual school but it's not unique in that regard.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 am

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:As has been alluded to, Coen and Murph ( old man ) are tight enough...like to play the ponies together. Gene will certainly not be influenced by that...it would merely be a by-product of a decision.

As I posted in a buried thread this weekend...
I am sick and fucking tired people saying that they like Cooley and Coen without distinguishing who did fucking what here.

What was Coen's job while he was here? What was Cooley's? Who was responsible for what? Stop with the Cooley/Coen comments like they are interchangeable. If you think that one will take BC to greater heights than Al, you NECESSARILY have to believe both (a) Skinner was an empty figurehead and (b) the assistant you passed on was just along for the ride. Honestly, if you like Cooley, you have to be convinced that Coen would be worse than keeping Al. Similarly, if you like Coen, you are required to believe Cooley would be the worst hire in the history of the school.

This pussyfooting around about either being OK is flat-out retarded. It would be much productive for you to come out and say, "I really don't care which one they hire because I am a graduate of the Campus School, will be happy no matter who the coach is and only care about whether Gene will continue allowing me to wear my unicorn costume at games."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I am sick and fucking tired people saying that they like Cooley and Coen without distinguishing who did fucking what here.

What was Coen's job while he was here? What was Cooley's? Who was responsible for what? Stop with the Cooley/Coen comments like they are interchangeable. If you think that one will take BC to greater heights than Al, you NECESSARILY have to believe both (a) Skinner was an empty figurehead and (b) the assistant you passed on was just along for the ride. Honestly, if you like Cooley, you have to be convinced that Coen would be worse than keeping Al. Similarly, if you like Coen, you are required to believe Cooley would be the worst hire in the history of the school.

This pussyfooting around about either being OK is flat-out retarded. It would be much productive for you to come out and say, "I really don't care which one they hire because I am a graduate of the Campus School, will be happy no matter who the coach is and only care about whether Gene will continue allowing me to wear my unicorn costume at games."

Speaking of Campus School, this is a retarded post. Like alot of people here, I believe that a large part of Skinner's success can be attributed to Coen and Cooley. Obviously I wish Gene was able to go out and bring in Bruce Pearl but at this point it looks like we are down to a couple candidates from Gene's exhaustive, national search and we have to work with what we have. Do I have a preference if Gene decides to go in the former assistant direction? Yes, but it's not because I think one of them did nothing during Skinner's tenure and the other one was responsible for everything. Bonzie on the other hand... I'm not sure why this has to be an all or nothing proposition for you with these two.

Everyone of your posts has to make it sound like the apocalypse which is the same thing you did with the football search.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:15 pm

westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Speaking of Campus School, this is a retarded post. Like alot of people here, I believe that a large part of Skinner's success can be attributed to Coen and Cooley. Obviously I wish Gene was able to go out and bring in Bruce Pearl but at this point it looks like we are down to a couple candidates from Gene's exhaustive, national search and we have to work with what we have. Do I have a preference if Gene decides to go in the former assistant direction? Yes, but it's not because I think one of them did nothing during Skinner's tenure and the other one was responsible for everything. Bonzie on the other hand... I'm not sure why this has to be an all or nothing proposition for you with these two.

Everyone of your posts has to make it sound like the apocalypse which is the same thing you did with the football search.

And... I was spot-on the disaster that was the Spaz coaching "search".

We had Skinner, Coen, Cooley and Duquette all as coaches at BC. The best we could do with that was the Sweet Sixteen... something that was not even close to good enough to many here or GDF. How is it possible that Coen and Cooley were BOTH superstar coaches and all we could do when we combined them together with Skinner and Duquette was a loss in the Sweet Sixteen? If you believe Coen was the recruiter who found and recruited Bell, Smith, Dudley, Williams and Rice and was the Xs and Os guy... great... hire him. But, if that is your belief, you also have to believe that Skinner and Cooley did nothing. In this regard IT IS all or nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't touch either one of them. I think that the Sweet Sixteen was a collaborative effort of the 4 of them... and that is simply the best they could ever do. As we saw with Al, once they separated, that good/greatness could never be replicated.

Nonetheless, the point remains, you cannot like hiring Cooley without thinking that hiring Coen would be a trainwreck... and vice versa.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCBaseball on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

It's nice to see you know nothing about the basketball program as well as the football program. Maybe if you hold your breath then BC will win every game. Seriously, you're an ignorant fool, but a anamecalling volley doesn't do much to further my point...

I believe you mentioned wanting Fran McCaffery in an old post...ok, let's start there. Fran had NO interest in coming to BC. His sentiment was strictly professional...the institutional support, gameday atmosphere, and prospects for sustained success were not promising. I actually tried to argue this point with him...after all,I'm a BC alum...and he did a pretty convincing job of refuting my points. By the way, I think highly of Fran and think he would have been a great hire. Ironically, McCaffery is a huge fan of Ed Cooley's...thinks he's a great coach NOW.

There are limitations inherent to BC when talking about the basketball program. I'm not thrilled either, but they're mostly real, not perceived. I say 'perceived' because the racial stuff concerning recruiting is real on the recruiting trail, but should be considered perception, at least in my opinion. I'm not an 18-22 yearold minority though, so unlike others who post here, I'm not assuming my view is the only view. Dude...it's no coincidence that some great coaches...and not-so-great coaches who were able to reach some level of achievement...got out of Dodge/Chestnut Hill when the going was good. Al didn't...nor did at least one of his current assistants.

By the way, as I was typing this I realized that the same discussion I had with Fran McCaffery occured a handful of years ago...with a then-BC assistant. We had the discussion prior to a conference game, surrounded by a handful of disinterested fans. Have you ever experienced the difference between a recruiting visit at BC versus some of the schools we play? Now, think like an 18 year-old. Blaming a person...Gene,Al, Duke, Coen, etc. feels great, but it is ignorant bluster. Nothing more. It's like selling a poorly serviced product versus a well-supported one. Yes, you try your best, but at the end of the day it is what it is, and crying about how the playing field isn't even doesn't help you to win. Billy Coen and Ed Cooley won't cry about it ( see:JOB, who constantly whined about this once he had some success. His whining before that was done to the media, but he started to be a real pain once he felt leverage with his success. That was a poor read on his part by the way. Sadly, his points were valid, but his approach was poorly-conceived ). By the way, I don't know much about Donahue, but he would probably be a solid choice. I just hope he knows the culture at BC as well as he thinks he does. His info is coming 2nd-hand.

In typical fashion, the names you mention aren't interested. HJS, why don't you start asking Victoria's supermodels to marry you? After all, if you don't that means you are an incompetent fool.
BCBaseball
n00b

Postby westwoodeagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:30 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And... I was spot-on the disaster that was the Spaz coaching "search".

We had Skinner, Coen, Cooley and Duquette all as coaches at BC. The best we could do with that was the Sweet Sixteen... something that was not even close to good enough to many here or GDF. How is it possible that Coen and Cooley were BOTH superstar coaches and all we could do when we combined them together with Skinner and Duquette was a loss in the Sweet Sixteen? If you believe Coen was the recruiter who found and recruited Bell, Smith, Dudley, Williams and Rice and was the Xs and Os guy... great... hire him. But, if that is your belief, you also have to believe that Skinner and Cooley did nothing. In this regard IT IS all or nothing.

Personally, I wouldn't touch either one of them. I think that the Sweet Sixteen was a collaborative effort of the 4 of them... and that is simply the best they could ever do. As we saw with Al, once they separated, that good/greatness could never be replicated.

Nonetheless, the point remains, you cannot like hiring Cooley without thinking that hiring Coen would be a trainwreck... and vice versa.

Your logic makes no sense, mostly because there is no logic in it. My point is that it's not an all or nothing when it comes to them. Why does one guy have to be responsible for recruiting all of the best players we have had for 10 years and be the X and O guy? Why can't this be a collaborative effort? It is a staff afterall.

While I can't really argue with the idea of moving completely outside of Skinner's assistants considering we did just fire him, most people's issue with Skinner during Coen and Cooley's time on the staff was Al's in game coaching and lack of flexability. If we were able to maintain that same level of recruiting and improve our strategy and in game coaching to at least a competant level, doesn't it stand to reason that we would be a better team overall and that Al's ceiling isn't necessarily the same as a new staff's would be?
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

It's nice to see you know nothing about the basketball program as well as the football program. Maybe if you hold your breath then BC will win every game. Seriously, you're an ignorant fool, but a anamecalling volley doesn't do much to further my point...

I believe you mentioned wanting Fran McCaffery in an old post...ok, let's start there. Fran had NO interest in coming to BC. His sentiment was strictly professional...the institutional support, gameday atmosphere, and prospects for sustained success were not promising. I actually tried to argue this point with him...after all,I'm a BC alum...and he did a pretty convincing job of refuting my points. By the way, I think highly of Fran and think he would have been a great hire. Ironically, McCaffery is a huge fan of Ed Cooley's...thinks he's a great coach NOW.

There are limitations inherent to BC when talking about the basketball program. I'm not thrilled either, but they're mostly real, not perceived. I say 'perceived' because the racial stuff concerning recruiting is real on the recruiting trail, but should be considered perception, at least in my opinion. I'm not an 18-22 yearold minority though, so unlike others who post here, I'm not assuming my view is the only view. Dude...it's no coincidence that some great coaches...and not-so-great coaches who were able to reach some level of achievement...got out of Dodge/Chestnut Hill when the going was good. Al didn't...nor did at least one of his current assistants.

By the way, as I was typing this I realized that the same discussion I had with Fran McCaffery occured a handful of years ago...with a then-BC assistant. We had the discussion prior to a conference game, surrounded by a handful of disinterested fans. Have you ever experienced the difference between a recruiting visit at BC versus some of the schools we play? Now, think like an 18 year-old. Blaming a person...Gene,Al, Duke, Coen, etc. feels great, but it is ignorant bluster. Nothing more. It's like selling a poorly serviced product versus a well-supported one. Yes, you try your best, but at the end of the day it is what it is, and crying about how the playing field isn't even doesn't help you to win. Billy Coen and Ed Cooley won't cry about it ( see:JOB, who constantly whined about this once he had some success. His whining before that was done to the media, but he started to be a real pain once he felt leverage with his success. That was a poor read on his part by the way. Sadly, his points were valid, but his approach was poorly-conceived ). By the way, I don't know much about Donahue, but he would probably be a solid choice. I just hope he knows the culture at BC as well as he thinks he does. His info is coming 2nd-hand.

In typical fashion, the names you mention aren't interested. HJS, why don't you start asking Victoria's supermodels to marry you? After all, if you don't that means you are an incompetent fool.

This is saying something, but this is the worst post in all of EagleOutsider history. I don't know where you went to school, but I'll bet you didn't attend logic or English class there all too often. The racial stuff on the recruiting trail? Haha you're such a fucking moron.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This is saying something, but this is the worst post in all of EagleOutsider history. I don't know where you went to school, but I'll bet you didn't attend logic or English class there all too often. The racial stuff on the recruiting trail? Haha you're such a fucking moron.

This post has more value than anything you have ever posted. Not saying I agree with all of it, but it was worth reading.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:48 pm

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This new guy stinks. :ignign
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCBaseball on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Another name caller. Wonderful.

Recruiting student/athletes of diversity IS an issue , particularly when it involves negative recruiting. If you read what I wrote with a modicum of intelligence, you would have seen I termed this as something which should be labeled 'perception' rather than a reality. I know it's not true, but it's an issue to deal with. I know this first hand through speaking with recruits and coaches...and most telling , through a roommate who this affected.

You tough-talkers...serious question. How many of you ever run your mouths like that when you're standing in front of a guy ? Just wonderin'...

Feel VERY ashamed.
BCBaseball
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:51 pm

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:It's nice to see you know nothing about the basketball program as well as the football program. Maybe if you hold your breath then BC will win every game. Seriously, you're an ignorant fool, but a anamecalling volley doesn't do much to further my point...

I never said anything about wanting Fran McCaffrey. You just made that up so you can add a name-drop into your diatribe. McCaffrey was hired at Iowa before anyone knew Skinner was fired. So... that whole discussion you allegedly had... occurred only as a hypothetical as neither you nor Fran had a clue about the BC job being open. Since you and Fran are bff, can you explain why he would interview (let alone take) the Iowa job which is widely considered one of the worst in college athletics? One in which gameday atmosphere is nonexistent and a location that is impossible to recruit BB to. And... my god... if you want to bring up race on the recruiting trail... there ain't no school on the planet whiter than Iowa.

Other than that... I would like to thank you for saying BC "is what it is". And suggest that you coul've saved everyone considerable time by simply writing:
BC is what it is and a former assistant is the best the school will ever be able to do in football or basketball. We should just pick between Cooley and Coen.
XOXO
- Gene
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:It's nice to see you know nothing about the basketball program as well as the football program. Maybe if you hold your breath then BC will win every game. Seriously, you're an ignorant fool, but a anamecalling volley doesn't do much to further my point...

I never said anything about wanting Fran McCaffrey. You just made that up so you can add a name-drop into your diatribe. McCaffrey was hired at Iowa before anyone knew Skinner was fired. So... that whole discussion you allegedly had... occurred only as a hypothetical as neither you nor Fran had a clue about the BC job being open. Since you and Fran are bff, can you explain why he would interview (let alone take) the Iowa job which is widely considered one of the worst in college athletics? One in which gameday atmosphere is nonexistent and a location that is impossible to recruit BB to. And... my god... if you want to bring up race on the recruiting trail... there ain't no school on the planet whiter than Iowa.

Other than that... I would like to thank you for saying BC "is what it is". And suggest that you coul've saved everyone considerable time by simply writing:
BC is what it is and a former assistant is the best the school will ever be able to do in football or basketball. We should just pick between Cooley and Coen.
XOXO
- Gene

FAXCIAL.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:56 pm

You tough-talkers...serious question. How many of you ever run your mouths like that when you're standing in front of a guy ? Just wonderin'...

Feel VERY ashamed.

It all depends upon where I'm running my mouth...mmmmmm....
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:00 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And the Fran McCaffrey reach around gives away who it is. Or else, McCaffrey has a lot of close friends on BC message boards.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:01 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This new guy stinks. :ignign

He ain't new.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Another name caller. Wonderful.

Recruiting student/athletes of diversity IS an issue , particularly when it involves negative recruiting. If you read what I wrote with a modicum of intelligence, you would have seen I termed this as something which should be labeled 'perception' rather than a reality. I know it's not true, but it's an issue to deal with. I know this first hand through speaking with recruits and coaches...and most telling , through a roommate who this affected.

Feel VERY ashamed.

O yea I feel awful, really. Anyway, I still refuse to believe that any of that is true. I'll put you down in the "We are what we are" camp.

When Donahue wins 22-25 games next year with all our, you know, limitations based on recruiting because of racial composition, etc., I'll make sure to remind you that we should have hired Coen or Cooley because they "know how it is" at BC. Another classic example of the TOB/Al Skinner theory of "ever to be mediocre".
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:04 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And the Fran McCaffrey reach around gives away who it is. Or else, McCaffrey has a lot of close friends on BC message boards.

i thought you were mrs. mccaffrey teddy

Nope, he's a decent coach. But there is one poster from EI that claims to have intimate knowledge of him whom I have argued with a number of times.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:05 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Nope, he's a decent coach. But there is one poster from EI that claims to have intimate knowledge of him whom I have argued with a number of times.

Are we playing that game where we all quote huge blocks of text? I can play that game too!

:chewbanka
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

with the powers vested in me by the state of shocker, i can tell you its not THAT guy (but its not a new guy, either)

So let me get this straight, there are two Fran McCaffrey ball washers on the BC message boards?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:08 pm

BCHerbert {l Wrote}:You tough-talkers...serious question. How many of you ever run your mouths like that when you're standing in front of a guy ? Just wonderin'...

Feel VERY ashamed.

Hey... how did you get a picture of MilitantEagle? Image
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCBaseball {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

with the powers vested in me by the state of shocker, i can tell you its not THAT guy (but its not a new guy, either)

So let me get this straight, there are two Fran McCaffrey ball washers on the BC message boards?

well - at LEAST 2 would be the safest way to say it...

ps - i am NOT a fran mccaffery ball washer

Make that a third.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm

I meant literally "washes Fran McCaffrey's balls." Like "I was talking to Big Fran the other day...."

There are least two of those douchy C-list name droppers?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
BCHerbert {l Wrote}:You tough-talkers...serious question. How many of you ever run your mouths like that when you're standing in front of a guy ? Just wonderin'...

Feel VERY ashamed.

it's not militant eagle, its an hilarious reference to a family guy character that i've even heard steven hale make fun of (through pm, of course)

TRE is correct. My only other screen names have been MilitantAgnostic (on EI) and EaglesFan5 (on EA). If I ever do get an alias, I hope I would do a better job than BCHerbert.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Feel VERY ashamed.

it's not militant eagle, its an hilarious reference to a family guy character that i've even heard steven hale make fun of (through pm, of course)

I can't believe that joke wasn't directed at snooptonydogg.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:15 pm

BCBaseball {l Wrote}:

Speaking of tough talk, how often do you walk up to a McDonald's All-American and tell him he's not smart enough to play for BC? How often do you tell a current BC player that he's only there because of limitations to his game, tough guy?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum