Buckley's Herald Article today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Buckley's Herald Article today

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:11 am

http://bostonherald.com/sports/columnis ... position=4

He kinda highlights the dilemma GDF created for himself for hiring Coen/Cooley. Gene has said on numerous occasions that he wants another Tom Izzo or Bruce Pearl. He said he wants someone who will recharge the fanbase. Someone who will work 24/7. Someone who brings an exciting D (inferring the FLEX was not exciting. Someone whose teams play hellacious D.

Cooley/Coen don't come close to fitting that description.

Now... some will say that GDF won't be held accountable for those statements. I disagree. In the 2 football searches, his public statements matched EXACTLY to his hire. After TOB, he talked about excitement... and we landed Jags. After Jags, he talked about loyalty and desire to stay at BC... and we landed Spaz.

Buckely's continued articles (which have been on the money throughout this process) have re-hashed those comments over and over again. ESPN and the National Press have also picked up those statements. GDF (who the media is no longer in love with) are going to hold him accountable. They will obliterate a hire of Cooley/Coen. GDF may find himself gravitating towards Coen/Cooley, but may eventually feel pressure to go in a different direction.

Of course, this is really all a defense mechanism for me. I posted last Monday that Skinner would be fired and that a former assistant would be hired (Coen) after a sham search. Unfortunately those words are proving prophetic (though they were mocked for like 4 days).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Buckley's Herald Article today

Postby BCMcG on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I posted last Monday that Skinner would be fired and that a former assistant would be hired (Coen) after a sham search. Unfortunately those words are proving prophetic (though they were mocked for like 4 days).

When did they announce who the new coach is?
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:23 am

HJS--

You are a immature little baby maker.

1--I posted that Al would be bought out Sunday and Coen was the choice per a source and it is not offical yet. Did anyone here post that? I mean these posts are time and date stamped?

When it is official

COEN --OC Inner Eagle predicted it first.

If Donahue -it is KOSS..

If Gregory it is EPSTEIN..

WTF....you can't tell time or you are now the OFFICAL baby maker BOY OF THIS SITE?

You didn't predict shit.

You read my post and then the next day burped it up like its was some sort of Oracle post.

DID YOU EVEN GO HERE HJS or HOMOJS as the other guys call you?

You give credit where credit is due and you do a search.

The 3 guys above were the first to mention those 3 names.

Last time I checked you stupid baby maker, Sunday comes before Monday.

Show me where someone told you GDF was trying to buying out Skinner and Coen was the choice from a source?

:74
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcmurph on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:37 am

"The Bruce Pearl-to-BC talk began as soon as it was announced that Al Skinner wouldn’t be returning to coach the Eagles for the 2010-11 season. But whatever grassroots movements may have been under way to entice Pearl to come to Chestnut Hill were squashed late yesterday morning..."

Hehehe ;)
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 am

I think it's wonderful that Buckley took a shot at all the BC-directed hatred-I'm not saying that has never occurred before, but I've never seen those sentiments in print.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:03 am

It just makes no sense to hire Coen or Cooley from anyone's perspective. I'll have to gauge my eyes out if I have to watch the tight flex again.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:11 am

I don't get this expectation that Coen and Cooley will be Skinner Part II. Sure, they were Skinner assistants, but they do have minds of their own. If you replaced your boss, don't you think you'd do things differently?

For example, Coen may have designed the tight flex, but when you have a front court of Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, and Nate Doornekamp that's a really good decision. It was incredibly effective with that personnel. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'd implement something that would be suitable for the personnel the team currently has (something Skinner was unwilling to do).

While I think BC should go in a different direction, it definitely wouldn't be a "disaster" to have either of these guys as coach. They were good assistants at BC and have demonstrated success in head roles since they left.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:13 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:I don't get this expectation that Coen and Cooley will be Skinner Part II. Sure, they were Skinner assistants, but they do have minds of their own. If you replaced your boss, don't you think you'd do things differently?

For example, Coen may have designed the tight flex, but when you have a front court of Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, and Nate Doornekamp that's a really good decision. It was incredibly effective with that personnel. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'd implement something that would be suitable for the personnel the team currently has (something Skinner was unwilling to do).

While I think BC should go in a different direction, it definitely wouldn't be a "disaster" to have either of these guys as coach. They were good assistants at BC and have demonstrated success in head roles since they left.

Absolute disaster. Coen is going to be as stubborn as Skinner with that fucking retarded offense. Coen and Cooley sucks, we need something else here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 am

I might agree with you if you can back it up in any way, but you haven't provided any evidence.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby talon on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:21 am

If we end up hiring Coen or Cooley, does anybody think that either one of those guys would be unavailable next year?

If Coen or Cooley were at the top of GDF's list, I just don't understand why you don't just tell Al he's got one more year to prove himself. I've seen a lot of people criticize Al because he acts like his job is 100% safe. And from what Andy Katz says, he was completely blindsided by all of this.

I just don't understand why it was imperative to fire Al this year then replace him with Coen/Cooley now, when they could have given Al one more year (under pressure of losing his job) and then hire Coen/Cooley next year, when both of them will surely still be available.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:26 am

Heard Jeff Goodman on 98.5 yesterday morning. Basically he said he thinks Cooley would be a great hire.

The more you hear about this search, the more and more people are really talking up Cooley. Would I be happy with is hire? NOt really. But I do know that when i was at BC '00-'04, he was the one coach on the bench I always noticed because he was always moving around and talking and seemed excited.

That being said, with Mooney and Pearl out. I'm not really excited about anyone anymore.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby bcaddict on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:32 am

talon {l Wrote}:If we end up hiring Coen or Cooley, does anybody think that either one of those guys would be unavailable next year?

If Coen or Cooley were at the top of GDF's list, I just don't understand why you don't just tell Al he's got one more year to prove himself. I've seen a lot of people criticize Al because he acts like his job is 100% safe. And from what Andy Katz says, he was completely blindsided by all of this.

I just don't understand why it was imperative to fire Al this year then replace him with Coen/Cooley now, when they could have given Al one more year (under pressure of losing his job) and then hire Coen/Cooley next year, when both of them will surely still be available.

this is exactly how I feel. I like coen and cooley and think BC would do well with both (tho I think coen is the better coach, cooley would sell the program better), but I don't see the impetus to fire Al to replace him with either one of them.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:40 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:I might agree with you if you can back it up in any way, but you haven't provided any evidence.

66-62 at Northeastern. We're really going to hire a .500 coach from Northeastern? I wonder how .500 in the CAA translates to the ACC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 am

Not a big Buckley fan but HJS is right. He's been spot on with his articles covering BC's coaching search.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/basketball//view.bg?articleid=1243577
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:05 am

Can we stop with the bullshit that either Cooley or Cohen have "demonstrated success" as head coaches? Both have mediocre records at middling schools in the region. If they had demonstrated any form of success at the school, they would have already managed to make the NCAA Tournament or at the very least win a regular season conference championship.

Enough.

Both will maintain the status quo at Conte Forum which from what we've been told is not the goal of the program. The reason you hire mid-major coaches into major programs is based on a consistent track record of success and competing with major programs (read: Butler, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Siena, etc.), not based on taking historically abysmal programs and making them .500 clubs. If either of these 2 is the hire, I'm out. The basketball program won't get one cent of my money until they demonstrate a commitment to winning basketball games.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:12 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Can we stop with the bullshit that either Cooley or Cohen have "demonstrated success" as head coaches? Both have mediocre records at middling schools in the region. If they had demonstrated any form of success at the school, they would have already managed to make the NCAA Tournament or at the very least win a regular season conference championship.

Enough.

Both will maintain the status quo at Conte Forum which from what we've been told is not the goal of the program. The reason you hire mid-major coaches into major programs is based on a consistent track record of success and competing with major programs (read: Butler, Gonzaga, St. Mary's, Siena, etc.), not based on taking historically abysmal programs and making them .500 clubs. If either of these 2 is the hire, I'm out. The basketball program won't get one cent of my money until they demonstrate a commitment to winning basketball games.

Bravissimo!!

:bowdown TO THE DAVE MAN!

I posted Coen's 46-49 record Sunday night when I heard GDF was buying him out and knew of the Jesuits runbber band.

Cooley's is worse, Donahue is not impressive, but at least a chance with his persona.

All 3 records are posted on that thread.

But Dave is right...Brian GREGORY or my guy Chris MACK from Xavier is the move.

Hopefully the poster that said Donahue was a done deal is right. I would be OK with him.

The more I look, the more I think Chris Mack of Xavier would be the guy.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:20 am

Contrary to the theories floated by ATL that Gregory would be a bad hire based on his overbearing personality, a guy like that is EXACTLY what the current crop of players is in need of. You don't like having to work hard and not play like morons? Go find a D3 school to pick you up for your senior year, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you (unless your name is Josh Southern or Biko Paris, in which case I suggest you practice your "Would You Like Fries With That" pitch).

Not only that, but this isn't the NBA where a coach who barks orders and is overbearing doesn't survive long term(read: Skiles, Scott or Collins, Doug). There is turnover every single season, and full turnover every 3-4 years on the roster, so they don't have enough time to get tired of hearing your voice. If Bobby Knight can survive 4 decades at 3 schools, I think a guy like Gregory can survive at BC. Whether his outgoing or graduated players hate him is irrelevant because a) the guy won basketball games and b) those players are out the door and don't have to deal with him anymore.

I'm cool with Donahue, but a guy like Gregory is the direction I'd rather go, both for the short term (with next years crop of meat heads) and long term.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Contrary to the theories floated by ATL that Gregory would be a bad hire based on his overbearing personality, a guy like that is EXACTLY what the current crop of players is in need of. You don't like having to work hard and not play like morons? Go find a D3 school to pick you up for your senior year, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you (unless your name is Josh Southern or Biko Paris, in which case I suggest you practice your "Would You Like Fries With That" pitch).

Not only that, but this isn't the NBA where a coach who barks orders and is overbearing doesn't survive long term(read: Skiles, Scott or Collins, Doug). There is turnover every single season, and full turnover every 3-4 years on the roster, so they don't have enough time to get tired of hearing your voice. If Bobby Knight can survive 4 decades at 3 schools, I think a guy like Gregory can survive at BC. Whether his outgoing or graduated players hate him is irrelevant because a) the guy won basketball games and b) those players are out the door and don't have to deal with him anymore.

I'm cool with Donahue, but a guy like Gregory is the direction I'd rather go, both for the short term (with next years crop of meat heads) and long term.

I'm not convinced Josh Soutern would dominate in the NESCAC. I'm totally seriuos about this also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:32 am

Bobby Hurley screams and yells and berates the best young players in America for 30 years and has won 22 state titles and 150+ Division I scholarships and works fro Nuns and Gregory is a mere pussycat compared to him...

By the way..so does Izzo, Mike K. and many others but all you see is Knight throwing a chair across a floor and these guys get better press!!

After Sunday now, the odds are re-posted...but since my Chris Mack was never considered...and Gregory may have a better job in Dayton...does that leave us right back to the 2 guys and an affirmative action reject we started with Sunday...

Coen 46-49 ....Donahue one NCCA run ... with Cooley and his pathetic Stag record as the best we can do at Boston College, the greatets University in the Galaxy?

GDF...JESUITS...WTF????

BOB KNIGHT.....someone tell me his name has been floated now!!!!

:lol: :lol:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Contrary to the theories floated by ATL that Gregory would be a bad hire based on his overbearing personality, a guy like that is EXACTLY what the current crop of players is in need of. You don't like having to work hard and not play like morons? Go find a D3 school to pick you up for your senior year, I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have you (unless your name is Josh Southern or Biko Paris, in which case I suggest you practice your "Would You Like Fries With That" pitch).

I'm not convinced Josh Soutern would dominate in the NESCAC. I'm totally seriuos about this also.

Hence the "Would You Like Fries With That?" crack...

What's sad is that of that celebrated recruiting class (Paris, Sanders, Raji, Southern), Josh was the highest rated by most recruiting sites. *whiff*
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Shredder on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:39 am

talon {l Wrote}:If we end up hiring Coen or Cooley, does anybody think that either one of those guys would be unavailable next year?

I was thinking about this then I realized that it's most likely because of the next recruiting classes. With five seniors on the team next year, we're going to have to recruit five more players. Al's recruiting hasn't translated to success since 2006 so if Al were left to another year, he could recruit five more mopes like Southern and Paris and bury the team for years to come. Plus this gives a new coach a major chance to prove himself with his first class. I wonder if that's being played up in the interviews and negotiations.

I haven't followed Northeastern but I do watch Fairfield because my dad is an alum and he and I are both impressed with Cooley. You couldn't get much lower than Fairfield's place in D1 basketball before Cooley arrived and in his time there be built them into a MAAC contender. They went to OT against Siena in the MAAC championship and then came back against George Mason down 27 points with 15 min. to go to win a CIT game. The team doesn't play a tight flex but uses flex principles in some offensive sets while playing up-tempo in others. Cooley had a great freshman guard and some solid big men. With McCaffrey going to Iowa, Cooley and Fairfield can take over the MAAC. I would prefer distance from Skinner but we could do a lot worse than Ed Cooley.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I am sick and fucking tired people saying that they like Cooley and Coen without distinguishing who did fucking what here.

What was Coen's job while he was here? What was Cooley's? Who was responsible for what? Stop with the Cooley/Coen comments like they are interchangeable. If you think that one will take BC to greater heights than Al, you NECESSARILY have to believe both (a) Skinner was an empty figurehead and (b) the assistant you passed on was just along for the ride. Honestly, if you like Cooley, you have to be convinced that Coen would be worse than keeping Al. Similarly, if you like Coen, you are required to believe Cooley would be the worst hire in the history of the school.

This pussyfooting around about either being OK is flat-out retarded. It would be much productive for you to come out and say, "I really don't care which one they hire because I am a graduate of the Campus School, will be happy no matter who the coach is and only care about whether Gene will continue allowing me to wear my unicorn costume at games."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Good column by Buckley. Can't hire Coen or Cooley. Period.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Conte Forum