New names equal disaster

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New names equal disaster

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 am

I know people are disappointed in the Coen/Cooley or Donahue solution, but those guys are much much better than Gregory or Brennan. As stated I think Gregory would wear out his welcome with the players, fans and Gene quickly. Brennan is a nice guy but he is not the guy to take us to the next level and he is not a long term option.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: New names equal disaster

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I know people are disappointed in the Coen/Cooley or Donahue solution, but those guys are much much better than Gregory or Brennan. As stated I think Gregory would wear out his welcome with the players, fans and Gene quickly. Brennan is a nice guy but he is not the guy to take us to the next level and he is not a long term option.

I'd much rather have Gregory than Coen or Cooley. You're slowly turning into Andy Katz on us Atleagle, the ever Al Skinner and his former assistants proponent. If you want the program in a different direction, then Coen/Cooley is a huge mistake.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:05 am

Dear Gene,

Please do not get overly excited by the fact that Tom Brennan is funny.

Love,
All BC fans
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:07 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I know people are disappointed in the Coen/Cooley or Donahue solution, but those guys are much much better than Gregory or Brennan. As stated I think Gregory would wear out his welcome with the players, fans and Gene quickly. Brennan is a nice guy but he is not the guy to take us to the next level and he is not a long term option.

I'll take my chances with Gregory. Winning makes people much more tolerable. Given the candidates being bantered about and the fact that GDF is still a pussy and will not make honest attempts to land a big name coach, I would be okay with Donahue. My only concern with his is that he's been an Ivy League for most of his career so can he recruit on the national level. As you all know, BC has a much bigger national presence than it did 25 to 30 years ago.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:12 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I'll take my chances with Gregory. Winning makes people much more tolerable. Given the candidates being bantered about and the fact that GDF is still a pussy and will not make honest attempts to land a big name coach, I would be okay with Donahue. My only concern with his is that he's been an Ivy League for most of his career so can he recruit on the national level. As you all know, BC has a much bigger national presence than it did 25 to 30 years ago.

It must really suck winning over and over. Something ATLeagle's band of misfits don't know a whole lot about. I'll be honest boys, if we hire Coen or Cooley, I'm probably out on this basketball program. If we hire Donahue (who I want) or Gregory (also who I think would be great), I'll be pumped for next season and beyond.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:14 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I'd much rather have Gregory than Coen or Cooley. You're slowly turning into Andy Katz on us Atleagle, the ever Al Skinner and his former assistants proponent. If you want the program in a different direction, then Coen/Cooley is a huge mistake.

I think BC can go in a new direction. I like the idea of Donahue and there are a million more names I would like to see interviewed. That said, some names would be terrible fits...like Gregory. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think Wojo or Collins would be better fits than Gregory.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:19 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think BC can go in a new direction. I like the idea of Donahue and there are a million more names I would like to see interviewed. That said, some names would be terrible fits...like Gregory. I cannot believe I am saying this, but I think Wojo or Collins would be better fits than Gregory.

You are correct, there are a bunch of other names out there, Randy Bennett for one, but the problem is that Coen and Cooley are front and center. GDF will probably not look past the names he has now, that is my biggest concern. Can we take the URI guy, Barron, off the list. The guy has never taken the Rams to the NCAA Tournament in 7+ years.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 am

ATL and others,
Why would Gregory be such a disaster? On paper, this guy A) wins, B) graduates his players, C) has high energy, D)has proven success, and E) can recruit.

Is he really crazy or something? Crazy like Matt Doherty is bad, but Crazy like Bobby Knight is good. Or is he a different kind of crazy?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:28 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:ATL and others,
Why would Gregory be such a disaster? On paper, this guy A) wins, B) graduates his players, C) has high energy, D)has proven success, and E) can recruit.

Is he really crazy or something? Crazy like Matt Doherty is bad, but Crazy like Bobby Knight is good. Or is he a different kind of crazy?

Gregory is close to the Doherty/Knight school. Which is fine if you are willing to ride it out until he gets his players. Off the court I think it would also be an issue. BC will put up with a lot but you cannot be an a**hole/screamer at the underpaid overworked staffers and student volunteers.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:29 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Gregory would be a superstar here. Now... he probably would but heads with GDF. But that is EXACTLY why I want him hired. If he is the next Jags, we get 2 years of excellence followed by GDF exposed as the asshole we all know he is. GDF doesn't survive another Jags situation.

So, in my mind, if we land Gregory... we have a couple of great years followed by a blow-up resulting in Gene's termination. Win-win.

Since ATL is in love with Cooley/Coen. Maybe he should go on record and explain exactly which of the two were responsible for our success under Al? If it was all 3 (Al, Coen and Cooley) or just 2 (Coen and Cooley), then you would never hire just one as that onoe would be as successful as Al has been on his own these last 3 years. If one of them was wholly responsible for BC's success, please let us know and I will be on board for Skinner Lite. If there was some combination of staffers... STOP TALKING ABOUT FORMER SKINNER ASSISTANTS AS IF IT IS A GOOD OPTION.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:32 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Gregory is close to the Doherty/Knight school. Which is fine if you are willing to ride it out until he gets his players. Off the court I think it would also be an issue. BC will put up with a lot but you cannot be an a**hole/screamer at the underpaid overworked staffers and student volunteers.

Umm... are you trying to say that Dayton pays its staffers and volunteers more than BC? I mean... last I checked... Gregory is at Dayton, right?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:33 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

You do owe an explanation as to why you want those clowns Cooley or Coen hired? We didn't go anywhere with those two guys on the staff. I'm happy to admit if I'm wrong later on, but for now hiring either guy is a total disaster of momenutal heights.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Gregory would be a superstar here. Now... he probably would but heads with GDF. But that is EXACTLY why I want him hired. If he is the next Jags, we get 2 years of excellence followed by GDF exposed as the asshole we all know he is. GDF doesn't survive another Jags situation.

So, in my mind, if we land Gregory... we have a couple of great years followed by a blow-up resulting in Gene's termination. Win-win.

Since ATL is in love with Cooley/Coen. Maybe he should go on record and explain exactly which of the two were responsible for our success under Al? If it was all 3 (Al, Coen and Cooley) or just 2 (Coen and Cooley), then you would never hire just one as that onoe would be as successful as Al has been on his own these last 3 years. If one of them was wholly responsible for BC's success, please let us know and I will be on board for Skinner Lite. If there was some combination of staffers... STOP TALKING ABOUT FORMER SKINNER ASSISTANTS AS IF IT IS A GOOD OPTION.

HJS and I agree so rearely, but this is one of those cases. No Skinner Assistants! At all.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:37 am

AUGGIE IS RIGHT AND BRILLIANT...

So the guy yells. So does Bobby Hurley.

Anyone here have any kids????

You gotta yell just to get their attention to listen to you yelling at them?

That is why I let the wife do it...
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ADonovanJr on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:46 am

I'm not clear as to why you guys don't want Cooley or Coen. Everything I've read says those two propped Skinner up for most of his tenure. They got the recruits and they motivated the players. They know the school and the territory. Of the two, Cooley sounds like the better risk. He is young and ambitious. He also sounds like a high energy guy, which is what is lacking.

The only other guy mentioned so far that gets me excited is Gregory. That guy knows how to coach and recruit.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:51 am

ADonovanJr {l Wrote}:I'm not clear as to why you guys don't want Cooley or Coen. Everything I've read says those two propped Skinner up for most of his tenure. They got the recruits and they motivated the players. They know the school and the territory. Of the two, Cooley sounds like the better risk. He is young and ambitious. He also sounds like a high energy guy, which is what is lacking.

The only other guy mentioned so far that gets me excited is Gregory. That guy knows how to coach and recruit.

Either one of them is a bad idea. Just move the fuck on from the Skinner era and start anew. It is that simple.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:56 am

ADonovanJr {l Wrote}:I'm not clear as to why you guys don't want Cooley or Coen. Everything I've read says those two propped Skinner up for most of his tenure. They got the recruits and they motivated the players. They know the school and the territory. Of the two, Cooley sounds like the better risk. He is young and ambitious. He also sounds like a high energy guy, which is what is lacking.

If you are hiring BOTH Coen and Cooley... great. If you are hiring only one of them you are an incredible fool.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

If you replay the video of GDF's presser, he actually describes Gregory to a Tee. Coincidence or wishful thinking?

Go get the crazy Scot!!!
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby ADonovanJr on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:58 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Either one of them is a bad idea. Just move the fuck on from the Skinner era and start anew. It is that simple.

I guess I was thinking there was something other than emotion here. Was Skinner that hated at BC? I thought he was well liked until he started losing.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:04 am

ADonovanJr {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I guess I was thinking there was something other than emotion here. Was Skinner that hated at BC? I thought he was well liked until he started losing.

I don't think he was hated but you just shit-can the guy so I would prefer you move on. Also, who really knows which one of these guys was more responsible for the past BC success. Lastly, as I have said 100x, this is a program changing hire, go and get the best, most well-established coach out there. Both these guys have been at lower level mid-majors with moderate success. There a bunch of other coaches who have a much more proven track record.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMcG on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:08 am

Either Coen or Cooley would do fine back at BC. The team would probably win and be fairly competitive in the ACC. However, the program needs a hire that will inject some life and energize the fanbase. Hiring either of these guys doesn't do that.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby ADonovanJr on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:15 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
I don't think he was hated but you just shit-can the guy so I would prefer you move on. Also, who really knows which one of these guys was more responsible for the past BC success. Lastly, as I have said 100x, this is a program changing hire, go and get the best, most well-established coach out there. Both these guys have been at lower level mid-majors with moderate success. There a bunch of other coaches who have a much more proven track record.

Every hire is a potentially program changing hire. That goofball they hired on the football side was about to bury the program until he went off the rails. You never know with any of these guys. I agree that it would be better if Cooley and Coen were at bigger programs now. BC is not Duke, but it ain't Seton Hall either.

My bet is there are guys in the pipe that have yet to be mentioned. It seems like the press always jumps on the usual suspects. That's an easy way to fill up column space.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby ADonovanJr on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:16 am

BCMcG {l Wrote}:Either Coen or Cooley would do fine back at BC. The team would probably win and be fairly competitive in the ACC. However, the program needs a hire that will inject some life and energize the fanbase. Hiring either of these guys doesn't do that.

That's a good point. I've only been going to game up there for a few years. The place is like a morgue.
ADonovanJr
n00b

Postby talon on Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:41 am

ADonovanJr {l Wrote}:That goofball they hired on the football side was about to bury the program

elaborate please.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 am

We weren't even all that great when Skinner was here. Why do you want to bring in someone on his staff?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:28 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I'll be honest boys, if we hire Coen or Cooley, I'm probably out on this basketball program. If we hire Donahue (who I want) or Gregory (also who I think would be great), I'll be pumped for next season and beyond.

Seriously eep, you've posted this exact thing on every single thread. Stop saying the same exact thing over and over. There, I said it.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:41 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

I'll be honest boys, if we hire Coen or Cooley, I'm probably out on this basketball program. If we hire Donahue (who I want) or Gregory (also who I think would be great), I'll be pumped for next season and beyond.

Seriously eep, you've posted this exact thing on every single thread. Stop saying the same exact thing over and over. There, I said it.

Fine, have it your way. :whiteflag
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Fine, have it your way. :whiteflag

Epps..You are only 1/235th as redundant as me now.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bcfanbetweenthhedges on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:41 am

NEW COACH QUALIFICATIONS

1. no pick up games at all,
2. must be goonier than Bruce Preal
3. no turtle necks
4. must not recruit any player goonier than himself

GENE TAKE THE FUCKING JOB YOURSELF

:toby
bcfanbetweenthhedges
Carney Hall

Postby gaelfu on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 pm

ADonovanJr {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

Every hire is a potentially program changing hire. That goofball they hired on the football side was about to bury the program until he went off the rails. You never know with any of these guys. I agree that it would be better if Cooley and Coen were at bigger programs now. BC is not Duke, but it ain't Seton Hall either.

My bet is there are guys in the pipe that have yet to be mentioned. It seems like the press always jumps on the usual suspects. That's an easy way to fill up column space.

EXCUSE ME??? Jags was about to bury the program??? Sorry to venture off topic, but he only led BC to more success in 2 years here than assclown O'Brien ever had in his tenure on the Heights. You wanna call that 14-10 triumph over VT a sign that the program was buried? For fuck's sake, he led us to the ACC title game with Crane and Davis as starting QBs. You sir are full of shit.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum