Mooney out of the running

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Mooney out of the running

Postby 2008Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Via Twitter

ESPNAndyKatz Mooney says he received 7-year deal from Richmond, decides against BC after interviewing. Look for story on ESPN.com.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Re: Mooney out of the running

Postby talon on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:23 pm

He didn't turn down the ACC to sign a seven year deal to with the A10.

This makes me think BC has already made a decision.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby holycross87 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Richmond is probably a better basketball school/job in many ways.
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 pm

talon {l Wrote}:He didn't turn down the ACC to sign a seven year deal to with the A10.

I agree - this likely means the Donahue rumors are true. I'm not unhappy with the hire, and I hope it goes well.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:32 pm

holycross87 {l Wrote}:Richmond is probably a better basketball school/job in many ways.

haha..I can think of one: mascot. Otherwise you're full of shit.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm

talon {l Wrote}:He didn't turn down the ACC to sign a seven year deal to with the A10.

I tend to agree. Either going to be Donahue or Cooley, and I hope it's Donahue.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby fcancer on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:02 pm

sorry for trolling, but he definitely signed with the A10 for 7 year extension and not your ACC school. Let' see, your previous coach had the 3rd most wins in the ACC since you joined, had been to the Tourney 7 times since 2001. Clearly the problem lies with your AD. Everyone knows that Boston is a hockey town, NBA town, and MLB town....where does college basketball come into play?? Massachusetts is a college basketball wasteland and you can't even fill the arena in which you play. The alternative...recruit in the ACC hotbed that is virginia, north carolina, south carolina, he has great ties to Philly and the tourney will expand to 96 teams...what is the draw to BC? We are thankful that he chose to stay for less money presumably.
fcancer
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:10 pm

fuckingdieofasscancer.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:20 pm

fcancer {l Wrote}:sorry for trolling, but he definitely signed with the A10 for 7 year extension and not your ACC school. Let' see, your previous coach had the 3rd most wins in the ACC since you joined, had been to the Tourney 7 times since 2001. Clearly the problem lies with your AD. Everyone knows that Boston is a hockey town, NBA town, and MLB town....where does college basketball come into play?? Massachusetts is a college basketball wasteland and you can't even fill the arena in which you play. The alternative...recruit in the ACC hotbed that is virginia, north carolina, south carolina, he has great ties to Philly and the tourney will expand to 96 teams...what is the draw to BC? We are thankful that he chose to stay for less money presumably.

Holy crap... a Richmond Spider fan?? Exactly the type of post you would expect of a fan of a school that separates men and women by a fucking lake.

As was posted long before people started tweeting, Mooney did not wow anyone with his interview. He immediately stuck himself behind Cooley and Donahue. The Princeton grad knew he wasn't getting the job so he was smart enough to milk Richmond for money.

But, the funny thing here is that this Richmond fan really believes that Mooney CHOSE Richmond. GDF sucks donkey dick... but Mooney would've still taken the job if BC was remotely interested. His CHOOSING of Richmond is really just him biding his time to jump at the very next offer. All this means is that he is willing to wait a little longer for a major job.

By the way, while I obviously am probably the most vocal about this being a big fucking sham of a search, I will say that I was not at all excited abouot Mooney. The absolute last thing BC needs is to be running the goddamn Princeton offense. It took Mooney half a decade to get it up and running at Richmond. And, even then it wasn't good enough to be competitive against a team like St. Mary's. Donahue is a better hire. And coaches like Stevens, Bennett, Gregory and Wojcik are MUCH better hires.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby rceagles14 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:28 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:fuckingdieofasscancer.

:kudos
rceagles14
n00b

Postby MoMac on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:45 pm

Another Richmond fan here. Are you guys really convinced that hiring an IVY League coach as a good hire?

Katz wrote tonight that sources indicated Mooney was the top candidate.

You guys can rationalize Mooney coming back to Richmond however you want ... but based on COLA, your job wouldn't have netted Mooney much more than his new contract with the Spiders.

Your AD doesn't seem to know his ass from a hole in the ground. That probably was a factor in Mooney's decision as well.
MoMac
n00b

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 pm

This sucks so much goddamn donkey dick that this played out, exactly the way it was expected.

At this point I would love Gregory or Mack, just because it wasn't fucking expected and our idiot GM (he isn't an AD anymore) knew who he was going to hire before the publicity stunt they called "interviewing" people happened.

Fuck you Gene.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby eagleman99 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:50 pm

MoMac {l Wrote}:
Your AD doesn't seem to know his ass from a hole in the ground. That probably was a factor in Mooney's decision as well.

Nobody here is going to argue that at all.
eagleman99
n00b

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:54 pm

MoMac {l Wrote}:Another Richmond fan here. Are you guys really convinced that hiring an IVY League coach as a good hire?

You guys can rationalize Mooney coming back to Richmond however you want ... but based on COLA, your job wouldn't have netted Mooney much more than his new contract with the Spiders.

:violin

You guys are funny. You should hang out with the Rutgers fans. I have a feeling you would hit it off.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby MoMac on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:58 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:
MoMac {l Wrote}:Another Richmond fan here. Are you guys really convinced that hiring an IVY League coach as a good hire?

You guys are funny. You should hang out with the Rutgers fans. I have a feeling you would hit it off.

Not sure I understand the connection, but there aren't many guidos down here in the Commonwealth.
MoMac
n00b

Postby totheights on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:59 pm

MoMac {l Wrote}:
totheights {l Wrote}:

Not sure I understand the connection, but there aren't many guidos down here in the Commonwealth.

Ah yes that was the connection I was looking for. I guess Spider's aren't as dumb as we were told! :banana
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby MoMac on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:01 pm

I grew up in the Garden State ... Trust me, I get it!
MoMac
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:55 am

The idea that Mooney was the top candidate is retarded. Just sayin'.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:55 am

MoMac {l Wrote}:
Your AD doesn't seem to know his ass from a hole in the ground.

Actually, he couldn't tell his ass from Al Skinner's face and got tired of people mixing them up, so he fired Al.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:11 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
holycross87 {l Wrote}:Richmond is probably a better basketball school/job in many ways.

haha..I can think of one: mascot. Otherwise you're full of shit.

This is an incomprehensibly stupid statement (the original one). I have nothing against Richmond which seems to have a strong athletic program, but the ACC is s0 much better than the A10 that it's not even funny. I have plenty of respect for Mooney as a coach, but he is definitely taking a gamble by not striking while his iron is hot.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

MOONEY REJECTS BC FOR THE A10

Postby FCKBC on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:13 am

FCKBC
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:13 am

Since Katz no longer has sources at BC (his top sources are gone and he's alienated himself from anyone still there), I wouldn't say his opinion counts much. All indications after his interview were that Mooney didn't come close to crushing the interview. So of course after BC didn't want him he "chose" the A10 over the ACC. Wouldn't have netted much? How about coaching in one of the premiere basketball conferences in the country? What a laugh.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:15 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Since Katz no longer has sources at BC (his top sources are gone and he's alienated himself from anyone still there), I wouldn't say his opinion counts much. All indications after his interview were that Mooney didn't come close to crushing the interview. So of course after BC didn't want him he "chose" the A10 over the ACC. Wouldn't have netted much? How about coaching in one of the premiere basketball conferences in the country? What a laugh.

Donahue is going to be a great guy for this program. Go get him Gene!
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MoMac on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:20 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

If Gene DeFillipis says a candidate didn't 'crush' a job interview in the middle of The Forest, when Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman aren't there ... did the interview even happen?
MoMac
n00b

Postby talon on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:23 am

MoMac {l Wrote}:If Gene DeFillipis says a candidate didn't 'crush' a job interview in the middle of The Forest, when Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman aren't there ... did the interview even happen?

Do you think that Gene DeFilippo offered Chris Mooney the job?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby MoMac on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:31 am

talon {l Wrote}:
MoMac {l Wrote}:If Gene DeFillipis says a candidate didn't 'crush' a job interview in the middle of The Forest, when Andy Katz and Jeff Goodman aren't there ... did the interview even happen?

Do you think that Gene DeFilippo offered Chris Mooney the job?

No. Mooney stated he wasn't offered the job.
MoMac
n00b

Return to Conte Forum