Felger & Massarotti - Elitist attitude holding back BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Felger & Massarotti - Elitist attitude holding back BC

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 am

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Re: Felger & Massarotti - Elitist attitude holding back BC

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:26 am

If you had ever watched that douche Felger behave in public after a few cocktails, you would understand from whence he is coming.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:37 am

Felger may be a douchebag, and the other guy, but there is some truth there.

I called for BC to fire GDF for not working the deal with the ACC in 2003---2004 and making sure BC had enough votes for the first entry with the U and VT.

VT was not invited and their alums and power peeps worked the deal??/ Hello???

GDF did not, and then since GDF was asleep.....Mary Fox buttjammed him.

I then posted hundreds of X's arguing with everyone in the Chevy Hemi days when CH considered banning me--- that the ACC and the $$$$, TV and exposure were far, far superior and prestigious and would be a great life saver ansd super football move....

I was right, GDF finally saw the light and re-approached.

Remember back then..this new guy 74 was insane, no way we are going into the ACC???!!!! TOblunders0-13 wa agreat Coach and saved Bc from 3 $50.00 bookie bets and cleaned up Dodge City and Deadwood!!!!

Then all my threads on GDF's actions since, the worse being the Jags disaster level blunder strategy and ULTIMATUM, the hiring sham which gave us Spazoo..and then Spazoo sealing his 5 years with Topoo....and not firing of making public the lazy Elvis stories 2 years ago (BEFORE YOU AX THE LAZY ELVIS FOR AIR PR COVER!!!) ---

......and making us see this basketball shit for 2 years and the new Hurley H-Bomb he dropped on Skinner...(BY THE WAY THAT ALSO EXPLODED ON GDF'S MELON!!!))....what makes you think people don't know or haven't you seen the over 9,000,000+ total page views on my Insider and Outsider posts?

How do you think I acquired those sources and inside info, from being wrong--IT WAS RESPECT FROM BEING RIGHT!!!

GDF is a poor AD. He may save himself if we a miracle Head Coach, but Football is King.

We shall see...
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:40 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Felger may be a douchebag, and the other guy, but there is some truth there.

I had a feeling you would agree with some of the article.

The Oracle of Fort Worth has spoken.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:04 am

Those two idiots are the biggest blowhards I've ever seen in my entire life.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:11 am

I'm actually happy. I am glad both have come out and admitted that they have an irrational hatred towards BC. I have only heard of them from posters here who write things like "What do you think about what Felger just said?" At least, now we have the admission that no matter what BC ever does, they will hate it. BTW... I think it funny that Felger said that he doesn't hate Bc because he went to BU, he hates BC because alums think they are better than him. Umm... Felger... the reason why BC alums think they are better than you is because you went to BU.

Saved for posterity:
Felger: “People think the reason I hate Boston College is because I went to BU and that’s totally wrong. The reason I hate BC is because they can’t get over themselves. They have this irritating, insufferable, and inflated sense of self worth. For some strange reason nothing is their fault over there. It’s always the ref’s fault, the selection committee’s fault for giving them a bad draw, or whatever excuse they can come up with. Until they get over themselves and realize that they’re not Harvard they can go win all the weed whacker bowls they want. The alumni, the boosters, and most importantly the athletic director need to lose the elitist attitude or they’ll never be a relevant athletic school. BC has problems with their student athletes that every other school in America has. They need to accept it, be willing to admit kids who can play even if they aren’t smart enough or have questionable character, and work with them. Every other school does it. I want BC to be good so I can root against them in big games. What fun is it to hate them if they’re never relevant or playing in games that don’t mean anything? I want to see them change the way thing’s are done, win some games, and have some fun. It’s good for business, but then I want to see them choke. Rooting against BC is just as fun for me as rooting against the Yankees, but in both cases rooting against them just isn’t as fun if they both stink.”

Mazz: “All of what you’re saying is fair. I can’t really find fault or argue with any of it. It’s as if everyone who graduated from Boston College walks around with their chest puffed out. In my mind they have rightfully earned they’re reputation in this town. The people bashing BC in this town are not in the minority at all Mike. Most people in this area feel the same way you do about BC and it seems like the only people who feel differently are the ones that either went there or have some kind of tie to the school. Everyone else hates them. It’s as simple as that. I don’t have a problem with the kids it’s the alumni that keep adding to the negative persona of the school. BC thinks its Harvard Monday through Friday and Nebraska and Duke on the weekends. It’s not impossible to have an elite academic and athletic school, but it’s very hard. Gaining that balance between the two is nearly impossible for any school this day and age. To be honest, I think Boston College has done a fairly good job in both respects, but in order to take the next step the administration needs to get over itself.”
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:19 am

"They need to accept it, be willing to admit kids who can play even if they aren’t smart enough or have questionable character, and work with them."

1. I have never heard this as a reason for not liking BC;
2. Felger should have Brandon Brokaw on his show some time.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 am

Both of them go on ad nauseum about what's wrong with the alumni, then end by saying it's the administration that needs to change in order for BC to get over the hump. Uh... if Gene and the admissions office are the problem, shouldn't the column criticize them instead of the alumni?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:32 am

Unfortunately, I agree that much of this article is true. GDF needs to go and we do need to let in some at-risk athletes just like other programs do. I have said this countless times. The really sad part is the impression of BC in the local area. The impression is that the school is elitist and snobby. I heard this from many folks at my 30th high school reunion a few years ago. Worse, I heard it separately from one of my former roommates and a former floormate from freshman year. They both had highly qualified kids seeking admission and were turned down. That's not what angered them though. It was the elitist attitude shown by everyone they came in contact with including the Head of Admissions and all their staff and the students. This is just not right. That's not the BC I know.

In my younger days, I had one year each stints heading up MBA recruiting at Harvard, Stanford, Chicago, UCLA and USC. The folks/students at all those schools could not have been nicer or more accommodating. At no event at any of them did I feel any of that elitist bullshit. My favorite opening question at Harvard/Stanford was " I wasn't smart enough to get in here and you were. Since you are so much smarter and more qualified. please tell me how you will add so much value to our firm?" I really didn't care how they answered. I just wanted to see how they responded to being put on their heels.

BC used to be be well-liked in the local area in my day. A bunch of hard-working overachieving kids from the local area, Northeast, NY, NJ who worked hard, played hard, were smart and good decent unpretentious people. WTF is going on up there.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby goeagles12 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 pm

does anyone know their email to the show?

I remember in 2007 when felger was on 890 espn boston(yeah,that failed) he wanted to commit suicide off a bridge after BC was #2 in CFB.
goeagles12
n00b

Postby BCMcG on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Felger is so right. Being proud of your alma mater is so irritating. If anyone who went to BU actually liked it, he might understand.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby thebs19 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm

This is the exact rhetoric that continiously comes from NEU, BU, URI, Providence, UMASS, HC, etc grads.

Funny how you never hear it from Tufts, Harvard, or NESCAC schools.

Wanna know why? Cuz BC grads ARE above those other guys.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:03 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:This is the exact rhetoric that continiously comes from NEU, BU, URI, Providence, UMASS, HC, etc grads.

I went to Colby so I'll give you some perspective. Academically, all the NESCAC schools and BC are on the same level and you get the same quality of person. Northeastern, BU, and Holy Cross are a big step down from BC or the NESCAC and you can probably throw Providence in that step down bunch also.

URI and UMASS are literally a waste of $100,000 for an education. Those schools are totally worthless and the degree you get isn't worth the paper they are written on. URI and UMass are nicknamed U-R-High and ZooMass, which should tell you enough. Those educations are right on par with Rutgers and WVU in the real world and no one hires people from these schools.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby thebs19 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:20 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:This is the exact rhetoric that continiously comes from NEU, BU, URI, Providence, UMASS, HC, etc grads.

I went to Colby so I'll give you some perspective. Academically, all the NESCAC schools and BC are on the same level and you get the same quality of person. Northeastern, BU, and Holy Cross are a big step down from BC or the NESCAC and you can probably throw Providence in that step down bunch also.

URI and UMASS are literally a waste of $100,000 for an education. Those schools are totally worthless and the degree you get isn't worth the paper they are written on. URI and UMass are nicknamed U-R-High and ZooMass, which should tell you enough. Those educations are right on par with Rutgers and WVU in the real world and no one hires people from these schools.

I think you might be underrating your NESCAC education a bit, but we (as BC grads) appreciate that. Those are fantastic schools. Totally different atmosphere than a BC gives you, but in the classroom, those are about as good as you can get (I have a family member at Williams).

But again, I find it funny that BU, NU, UMass, PC and HC people always use this rhetoric. I mean, should the onus really be on BC students and grads to be overly modest and make those folk feel better by lying and saying their schools are as good as ours? I don't get it.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, I agree that much of this article is true. GDF needs to go and we do need to let in some at-risk athletes just like other programs do. I have said this countless times.

Really? I had not noticed. ;)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby ryrob on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This isn't totally true. I worked with a bunch of URI and UMass kids this summer at a fairly prestigious job, and they seemed pretty competent. I'm sure they place them in a much lower proportion than BC though. FWIW, BC had the most kids by far in this internship program and was probably the smallest or 2nd smallest school represented. BU had 2 I think at most out of 60.

The fact of the matter is, that in jobs that count, BC places more grads than anyone outside of Harvard or MIT. Business, education, government, it's not really close. BU Law might have a little on us, but that's about it.
Last edited by ryrob on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:30 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This isn't totally true. I worked with a bunch of URI and UMass kids this summer at a fairly prestigious job, and they seemed pretty competent. I'm sure they place them in a much lower proportion than BC though. FWIW, BC had the most kids by far in this internship program and was probably the smallest or 2nd smallest school represented. BU had 2 I think at most out of 60.

URI and UMass have a honors program, those kids are probably relatively intelligent. You also have to remember, those two schools are bigger than BC, so you're going to get a couple smart kids, but a whole lot more stupid ones. Care to share what the "fairly prestigious job was"?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby ryrob on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

URI and UMass have a honors program, those kids are probably relatively intelligent. You also have to remember, those two schools are bigger than BC, so you're going to get a couple smart kids, but a whole lot more stupid ones. Care to share what the "fairly prestigious job was"?

Public accounting, Big 4 firm.
Last edited by ryrob on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Go Caucasian Mules! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:32 pm

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think you might be underrating your NESCAC education a bit, but we (as BC grads) appreciate that. Those are fantastic schools. Totally different atmosphere than a BC gives you, but in the classroom, those are about as good as you can get (I have a family member at Williams).

But again, I find it funny that BU, NU, UMass, PC and HC people always use this rhetoric. I mean, should the onus really be on BC students and grads to be overly modest and make those folk feel better by lying and saying their schools are as good as ours? I don't get it.

The way I looked at it, I wanted a small school, so ended up at Colby. Although true, I'm wearing a BC polo at work today and guarantee that I make it to more BC games throughout the course of the year than a large % of BC grads. My Dad went to BC and we had season tickets forever and ever, so that's the connection.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:33 pm

The bottom line is that BC has simply gotten better over the years as an academic institution. Allegations of snobbery and elitism from outsiders naturally follow. What some of you are doing appears to be pining for and/or sympathizing with those who wish for the old days when BC was not considered an "elite" college. Please read that last sentence again. If you really feel that way, then :74

I want BC to be considered the top f'ing college in the country. I want the place to be the best it can possibly be. People will call me snobby or elitist for saying that. Fuck them. I laugh at them. Fools.
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Go Caucasian Mules! :ace

Worst mascot ever. Our hockey is always decent although the coach is Jim Tororella, who's the brother of the genius HC of the Rangers. Their personalities have a lot in common unfortunately. At least John can come through in the playoffs, Jim makes a habit out of gagging in the post-season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 pm

Cream rises to the top no matter what school you go to. One of the smartest, most talented people is my MBA program went to San Diego State. The two best analysts I had work for me on Wall Street--one graduated in 3 years from Ca Poly SLO and the other from the University of Texas. I did have a number of Wharton grads too. Some very good but just as many were worthless. The school you go/went to is way overrated. I've worked with some real losers from the Ivies, Stanford and NEAC schools and some incredibly talented people from schools you have barely heard of.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If UMass or URI charged $100,000, you'd be right.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:45 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The fact of the matter is, that in jobs that count, BC places more grads than anyone outside of Harvard or MIT. Business, education, government, it's not really close. BU Law might have a little on us, but that's about it.

Depends on where you go. In this town, BC Law rules private practice; Suffolk Law rules gov't.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:49 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Cream rises to the top no matter what school you go to. One of the smartest, most talented people is my MBA program went to San Diego State. The two best analysts I had work for me on Wall Street--one graduated in 3 years from Ca Poly SLO and the other from the University of Texas. I did have a number of Wharton grads too. Some very good but just as many were worthless. The school you go/went to is way overrated. I've worked with some real losers from the Ivies, Stanford and NEAC schools and some incredibly talented people from schools you have barely heard of.

I understand the whole "balls vs. brains" thing. Most of the successful businessmen I know did not go to elite colleges or place at the top of their class at their schools. But it is a whole 'nother thing to say that it does not matter where you go to school. Sure it does. And all I'm saying is that, when comparing academic institutions to one another, I will unabashedly say I think BC is better than 98% of the colleges in America. I don't care if that makes me a snob or not. And I really don't care whether two radio personalities like us or not. Some people in Boston don't like us because we've gotten so much better. So be it.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:The bottom line is that BC has simply gotten better over the years as an academic institution. Allegations of snobbery and elitism from outsiders naturally follow. What some of you are doing appears to be pining for and/or sympathizing with those who wish for the old days when BC was not considered an "elite" college. Please read that last sentence again. If you really feel that way, then :74

I want BC to be considered the top f'ing college in the country. I want the place to be the best it can possibly be. People will call me snobby or elitist for saying that. Fuck them and their BU and Northeastern diplomas. I laugh at them. Fools.

You can be the best without having an arrogant elitist attitude about it. Just remember my young friend, a whole lot of us "sub-par" guys by today's BC standards did pretty well. You are standing on the shoulders of our work, our legacy. Don't patronize us Whalepants. We are part of what put BC on the map in the first place. We went went there long before it was the popular choiuce it is today. I have heard from two separate BC grads that love the school that the Director of Admissions points out in every speech to Alumni, as a stock part of his speech, that they would not likely get into BC today. While factually, that may be true. It is no way to speak to or treat your alumni. These guys are both executives at decent size companies and no slouch's and not the types that anger easily but they were both furious at these and other instances from Admissions/Students. Talking down to alumni is just dumb. I can imagine the attitude toward non-alumni if this is how the alumni are treated. We will see. I have a son applying in the Fall. If they try to pull that elitist shit on me me then I will have a way to deal with that. I'm actually hoping the Director of Admissions pulls out the elitist crap because I will rip him a new orifice to his face and through other channels. BC is better and BC people are better than these instances. This stuff is not BC.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 74'z-jerble on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Funny how everyone is ignoring the Collins portion of the article. He is spot on, especially about the elitist attitude of the fans - tripleeaglepuffweenies, pedophile defenders, way above the fray. Posters like 74 and most of the pilers-on on this thread prove Collins correct. Why would a hot young coach want to come to a sorry program like BC, with the nasty alumni attitudes, sniggering condescension, crude references to thug athletes, 0 attendance, half empty arean on Seniors night, etc? Bruce Pearl? You are kidding yourselves! Two to three years from a slick young coach on the rise is our very best scenario.
74'z-jerble
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:59 pm

I don't really have a problem admitting I wouldn't get into BC today. That's like being told your girlfriend is way out of your league. Either way it's an admission that you're doing well for yourself.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}: Just remember my young friend,.

You want to talk about patronizing? 81, I'm 40 years old.

1981Eagle {l Wrote}: You are standing on the shoulders of our work, our legacy.

Please see above. It's my work and legacy too. Most of the people on this board would consider me a "whalepants" if they met me. It's also due to the work and legacy of all the people on this Board who went to or support BC. Let's not try to argue that the oldies are better than the youngsters, ok? That won't get us very far.

1981Eagle {l Wrote}: We are part of what put BC on the map in the first place.

I think a guy named Doug Flutie helped a bit as well. I think he may have graduated after you left and before I got there.

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I have heard from two separate BC grads that love the school that the Director of Admissions points out in every speech to Alumni, as a stock part of his speech, that they would not likely get into BC today. While factually, that may be true.

It is true. Get over yourself. I probably would not get in today either. That is a good thing - it is a better school than it was 20 or 30 years ago. We should be happy about this.

1981Eagle {l Wrote}: I have a son applying in the Fall. If they try to pull that elitist shit on me me then I will have a way to deal with that. I'm actually hoping the Director of Admissions pulls out the elitist crap because I will rip him a new orifice to his face and through other channels. BC is better and BC people are better than these instances. This stuff is not BC.

Good luck to your son. I mean that sincerely. He will be competing against my nephew for a spot in the class. And if by "other channels" you mean donations, well then you are kind of undermining your whole point. It sounds snobby to say things like that.
Last edited by Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum