Tom Thibodeau?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tom Thibodeau?

Postby Buttercup on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:33 am

I've seen 3 articles today (Globe, Yahoo Sports, and a Bleacher Report) make mention of possible interest between BC and Thibodeau. In the Globe article, Rivers says that BC is a "terrific job" and says he hopes his assistants get head coaching interviews soon. What would everyone think of Thibodeau as a candidate?
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Re: Tom Thibodeau?

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:34 am

I dont want a pro caoch and I think Gene has said the same.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:35 am

As a pure basketball coach, Thibodeau would be a great idea. The guys one of the best X's and O's strategy guys around. Although true, there is the issue of him having to motivate 18 year old kids and the whole recruiting issue. Those are the barriers.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby buconvict on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:37 am

Tom Thibodeau would be amazing, but it won't happen.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:40 am

I'm surprised Thibodeau hasn't taken an NBA head job yet. That could be a great outside the box hire.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:42 am

Thibodeau is a genius as a coach, but a total wildcard as far as recruiting goes. Overall, though, I think I would be ecstatic with this hire, especially if he brought in an assistant or two who could recruit.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby BCMcG on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:43 am

Tremendous option. I would 100% support the hire. I have visions of BC pitching shutouts.
BCMcG
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:48 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:Tom Thibodeau would be amazing, but it won't happen.

This. No idea where this is coming from. If he wants a job, he can get one in the NBA.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Buttercup on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:05 am

From Benbow in the Globe:
Back to school?
The Boston College and Holy Cross jobs are open, and Rivers has three assistants — Tom Thibodeau, Armond Hill, and Kevin Eastman — who have been on Division 1 staffs. Rivers said he would support any of them if they were interested.

“I want them to be head coaches, honestly,’’ he said. “I push them all the time. Kevin and Armond, I don’t know if they have the interest. They don’t talk about it a lot, I can say that.’’

Hill was head coach at Columbia, Eastman head coach at Washington State, and Thibodeau was an assistant at Harvard. Thibodeau has NBA head-coaching aspirations.

Rivers said he would have no issue if any pursued the BC job.

“That’s a terrific job,’’ he said. “I just want them all to get interviews. I think they would impress a lot of people if they gave them a chance and let them sit in front of them.’’

Then from something called northstationsports.com...

"the intensifying rumors that Tom Thibodeau may be interested in the Boston College job"

Not sure if the second one is just referencing the first, and Benbow was just spitballing, but who knows. I, for one, think it would be awesome so long as he put an experienced recruiting staff together.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:11 am

Gene would be an idiot not to talk to this guy if he were interested. I am just saying that I would be shocked if he went the Charlie Weis route. He'll be a pro head coach in 2 years if he stays right where he is.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Buttercup on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Gene would be an idiot not to talk to this guy if he were interested. I am just saying that I would be shocked if he went the Charlie Weis route. He'll be a pro head coach in 2 years if he stays right where he is.

Agreed. The only thing I can think of is that maybe he's getting impatient, as he really should have gotten his own gig by now... he was in the mix for several.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:39 am

Doc would love to push Thibodeau out the door, they don't get along and Doc resents how much credit TT gets for the Celtics' defensive turnaround the last few years.

Thibodeau is also a world-class douche, he treats the little people like crap and people hate working with him.

This is from a friend in the Celtics organization, not anyone on the staff, so take it with a grain of salt, but it does partially explain why he never gets a sniff of head coaching jobs despite his highly-praised work with the Celtics.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:Doc would love to push Thibodeau out the door, they don't get along and Doc resents how much credit TT gets for the Celtics' defensive turnaround the last few years.

Thibodeau is also a world-class douche, he treats the little people like crap and people hate working with him.

This is from a friend in the Celtics organization, not anyone on the staff, so take it with a grain of salt, but it does partially explain why he never gets a sniff of head coaching jobs despite his highly-praised work with the Celtics.

I have heard similar suggestions that he has a personality deficiency. I have not met the man myself, but that is the word about town. And the Doc thing doesn't surprise me, although it is tough to get mad at a guy for the credit he gets when he deserves it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eaglesmith on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:03 am

Thibodeau may well be the next head coach of the Bulls. I don't see him running a college program, especially if what you guys are saying about his personality is true.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby Pahreen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:17 am

Thibodeau is not head coach material. He doesn't connect with players largely because he is a whackjob. Great defensive mind, yes. Head coach? Absolutely not. His players would tune him out by the ACC tournament.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby bcbcbcbcbc4444 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm

this is so bizarre i was just thinking about him as a candidate yesterday. id prefer him over all the other candidates except for Pearl
bcbcbcbcbc4444
Carney Hall

Return to Conte Forum