Requesting Permission

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Requesting Permission

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 pm

Gene fired Jags for interviewing for the Jets and lying about it. Neither the Jets nor Jags requested permission from BC.

So, suppose Gene puts out feelers to Pearl and Pearl is interested. A request for permission to formally speak to Pearl is denied by Tennessee. Does Gene have any moral ground to continue?
talon
Cushing Hall

Re: Requesting Permission

Postby joemack13 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:18 pm

yes, this permission thing is bullshit, what other industry do you have to ask permission to interview someone? being a hypocrite doesn't make you immoral, it just makes you a douchebag
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:22 pm

You are on your high horse, ride it.

That said, no way Gene lets a little thing like permission stop him.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby auggiebc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:23 pm

that fiasco could be avoided simply by having Pearl request permission from UT to "put is name in the hat" for the BC job. This way Pearl is coming to GDF instead of the other way around.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't pretend to understand all the legal, ethical and etiquette issues surrounding interviewing another college's coach, but I do know that when you have a contract, most states recognize some form of a legal theory called "interference with contractual relations." You can get sued for helping someone violate their contract. I've always assumed the whole "ask for permission" thing stems from that.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I don't pretend to understand all the legal, ethical and etiquette issues surrounding interviewing another college's coach, but I do know that when you have a contract, most states recognize some form of a legal theory called "interference with contractual relations." You can get sued for helping someone violate their contract. I've always assumed the whole "ask for permission" thing stems from that.

True, but what are the damages suffered by a college as a result of losing a coach through interference with the coach's contract? Cover damages maybe, but they no longer have to pay said coach.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

The Jags-Jets permission thing was overstated. Gene knew about it and did not find out from the press. It was a :slapfight gone bad. I repeat: they were talking extension on Saturday night. 24 hours later Mort pulled Jags pants down on national TV.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Well, the difference in what the college had to pay its replacement coach minus what it would have had to pay the old coach under his contract. Also, in most states it is a tort and so in addition to compensatory damages, you could get punitives.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

What happens when the 'energetic up and comer' that GDF hires answers a phone call from the Nets... is he fired?

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:12 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I don't pretend to understand all the legal, ethical and etiquette issues surrounding interviewing another college's coach, but I do know that when you have a contract, most states recognize some form of a legal theory called "interference with contractual relations." You can get sued for helping someone violate their contract. I've always assumed the whole "ask for permission" thing stems from that.

There is something really humorous in the discussion of ethics in college basketball when we are throwing figures like $3million a year for a coach around when nearly every kid that is at BC is there because his parents were willing to borrow a quarter mil extra on their homes, and while the kids on the team that are raking in millions for the coach can't afford to take a girl out for a pizza and a coke because he's got no money nor does his single mother or even his mother's single mother.

There are no ethics in this shit. NCAA basketball is among the most rotten things in America.

I love college sports, but have to agree with you. It really hit me when I was covering the ACC meetings down here two summers ago. Purvis and Brace flew in for 24 hours and didn't get to do much besides talk to the media. This while they still had summer school and summer workouts. Meanwhile the coaches and ADs had a four day boondoggle with tons of golf, meals, etc. Even we in the media got a bunch of free stuff that players could not get.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 pm

campion {l Wrote}:There are no ethics in this shit. NCAA basketball is among the most rotten things in America.

Truth.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum