Pearl's Magic #

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pearl's Magic #

Postby hawaiirob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

Exactly, Talon. There is traction with Pearl.

Again, you don't fire Al, pay $3m in buyout money, deal with ridicule...to hire Northeastern's head coach. Think about it guys.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:12 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
Pahreen {l Wrote}:Pearl on the Dan Patrick show today.

Dan Patrick: "You contacted by Oregon?"
Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no contact by Oregon...I'm an Adidas guy."
Dan Patrick: "What about St. John's?"
Bruce Pearl: "No."
Dan Patrick: "Are you insulted?"
Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no because I put it out there very, very, very, very openly that I'm happy at Tennessee. That Tennessee has created a situation here where we can do, we can do some (?) at Tennessee and anything I can do at anyplace else."
Dan Patrick: "Well, you can get a blank check at Oregon, Bruce."
Bruce Pearl: "Yeah, well there's more to it than that. You know, my family is here. Tennessee has given me the opportunity of a lifetime."

Link. It's about 3/4 of the way in.

how the eff can DP ask about Oregon or St. John's and not BC? Unless Pearl told him before the interview NOT to mention the vacancy at BC.

that is the million dollar question. Surely a veteran sports guy like Patrick isn't naive enough to NOT know of the Pearl-BC connection before he interviews him. hmmmmmm.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:15 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no because I put it out there very, very, very, very openly that I'm happy at Tennessee. That Tennessee has created a situation here where we can do, we can do some (?) at Tennessee and anything I can do at anyplace else."
Bruce Pearl: "Yeah, well there's more to it than that. You know, my family is here. Tennessee has given me the opportunity of a lifetime."

how the eff can DP ask about Oregon or St. John's and not BC? Unless Pearl told him before the interview NOT to mention the vacancy at BC.

Could it be that Pearl would have told DP not to mention BC, but knew that DP would never in a million years think Pearl would actually consider coaching at such a "non-entity"?

i doubt it. everybody knows pearl went to BC. It would have been a perfectly cromulent question.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:16 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

that is the million dollar question. Surely a veteran sports guy like Patrick isn't naive enough to NOT know of the Pearl-BC connection before he interviews him. hmmmmmm.

You guys are reading way too much into this.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:22 pm

It could also be that GDF really did not officially whack Al until Monday because GDF needed to see if Pearl went to the F4. Perhaps Pearl told GDF et al that he was going nowhere if he made the F4 or beyond. When Tenn was knocked out, Al became officially fired (not just on notice as Katz and Al seem to imply) and Pearl became the target?? Who the hell knows?

But the silence from Pearl and GDF is eerie. And nothing from Patrick was eerie too. Got to believe Pearl told him not to mention BC. And for all we know, Katz is tighter with GDF and BC than he is with Al - and is creating an even bigger smoke screen with his "Pearl is not going to BC" rhetoric.

I believe GDF is at least - at least - considering Pearl. Not saying it happens. But the attempt is being made.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
auggiebc {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

You guys are reading way too much into this.

It is a little strange that Patrick didn't mention BC....the only school of the 3 that Pearl had any ties to, no? I think its VERY possible that Pearl told him BC was off limits for discussion.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:28 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:But the silence from Pearl and GDF is eerie. And nothing from Patrick was eerie too. Got to believe Pearl told him not to mention BC. And for all we know, Katz is tighter with GDF and BC than he is with Al - and is creating an even bigger smoke screen with his "Pearl is not going to BC" rhetoric.

Two things:

1) GDF mentioned that Pearl wasn't a candidate "at this point" on WEEI. I know this is an obvious smoke screen, but he hasn't exactly been silent.
2) Katz pretty much call for GDF's termination in his latest article. I doubt that they are "tight." I don't think Katz has access to GDF.

If that's the case, there should be term limits for athletic directors, too. DeFilippo has turned over the football and men's and women's basketball programs within the last few years. When is there culpability for the AD, too?
Last edited by Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby auggiebc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:29 pm

When you listen to the full interview, and get a feel for the context, you get a better appreciation for the weridness of Patrick ommitting BC in his line of questioning to Pearl. Reading too much into this? Perhaps. But listen to the interview again. How in the world does Dan Patrick NOT ask about BC...especially with Pearl talking about his family, and TN, and other job opportunities. It's unimagineable that Patrick wouldn't bring up BC given the Pearl/BC connection. You cannot convice me that Patrick is simply obvlivous to the Pearl/BC connection.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:When you listen to the full interview, and get a feel for the context, you get a better appreciation for the weridness of Patrick ommitting BC in his line of questioning to Pearl. Reading too much into this? Perhaps. But listen to the interview again. How in the world does Dan Patrick NOT ask about BC...especially with Pearl talking about his family, and TN, and other job opportunities. It's unimagineable that Patrick wouldn't bring up BC given the Pearl/BC connection. You cannot convice me that Patrick is simply obvlivous to the Pearl/BC connection.

My interpretation is that after the Oregon "blank check" comment and Pearl's response, where he talked about DP's loyalty in staying with ESPN, Patrick probably sensed that Pearl did not want to continue talking about the possibility of leaving UT. That's when he switched topics to Lane Kiffen.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby branchinator on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

You also have to factor in endorsements. If Skinner can pull down a $925,000 / year endorsement deal with Eastern Clothing of Watertown, just imagine what Bruce Pearl could get in the Boston area.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:You also have to factor in endorsements. If Skinner can pull down a $925,000 / year endorsement deal with Eastern Clothing of Watertown, just imagine what Bruce Pearl could get in the Boston area.

That fat guy from Strega would stalk Pearl until he shoots a spot for him
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Pahreen {l Wrote}:
hawaiirob {l Wrote}:But the silence from Pearl and GDF is eerie. And nothing from Patrick was eerie too. Got to believe Pearl told him not to mention BC. And for all we know, Katz is tighter with GDF and BC than he is with Al - and is creating an even bigger smoke screen with his "Pearl is not going to BC" rhetoric.

Two things:

1) GDF mentioned that Pearl wasn't a candidate "at this point" on WEEI. I know this is an obvious smoke screen, but he hasn't exactly been silent.
2) Katz pretty much call for GDF's termination in his latest article. I doubt that they are "tight." I don't think Katz has access to GDF.

If that's the case, there should be term limits for athletic directors, too. DeFilippo has turned over the football and men's and women's basketball programs within the last few years. When is there culpability for the AD, too?

Yikes. Had not read that Katz article. Scratch my comment that Katz and GDF might be friends.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:You also have to factor in endorsements. If Skinner can pull down a $925,000 / year endorsement deal with Eastern Clothing of Watertown, just imagine what Bruce Pearl could get in the Boston area.

That fat guy from Strega would stalk Pearl until he shoots a spot for him

This might be my favorite photo of all time.

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm

listening to the DP/BP interview now.

Bruce Pearl: "Don't fire a coach because the attendance is down"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 pm

i doubt it. everybody knows pearl went to BC. It would have been a perfectly cromulent question.

I don't know. I think you guys are taking a molehill and embiggening it into a mountain.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:43 pm

Pearl also criticized Kiffin for not leaving the program in better shape than he found it. If Bruce Pearl leaves TN, the program is in much better shape that it was when he was hired.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:46 pm

From the same interview:

Dan Patrick: "Is Tennessee a football school?
Bruce Pearl:: "No, no, when you got Pat Summit coaching the Lady Vols, it's not a football school. We're one of those SEC schools that you can't say that, if you... In St. Louis, we dominated the crowd on Sunday. It was like 5 to 1 compared to Michigan State. Our basketball program showed up, it represented. No, it's definitely not a football school...In fact, I think Tennessee is one of those schools that, you know, does very well on men and women sports, and they also do well in football."

Sounds like he's okay with being behind Pat Summit and football as long as he gets fan support for basketball.
Last edited by Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:48 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Is that McLovin?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:48 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Is that McLovin?

Ya, he's apparently tight with Rando.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:03 pm

Sorry for the fragments, but I'm only now listening to the entire thing.

Dan Patrick: "Give us a sense of what success does with other athletic directors in regards to you. How many calls have you received?"
Bruce Pearl: "You know you get some inquiries here, but I think the thing is... Here is what I'll jump at, Dan, and it answers your question. Not only how many calls I get, but how many guys that got fired because we came to Tennessee and we won right away. And how many athletic directors, you know, are feeling the pressure of having, meeting success right now. They understand the riches, they understand the crowds and the donations and the feeling on campus, they understand that, but we have guys getting fired in mid-season. We have guys getting fired after 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, and so then what happens is... That is probably the number one reason why if there is anything going wrong in college basketball or college athletics is because it is job security. I know the salaries are completely out of whack, but so are the firings, and so are the 'you gotta win in order to keep your job.'"

Later:

Bruce Pearl: "And you know what, don't fire the coach because the attendance is down, you know. Go improve your marketing program or maybe get your coach more involved in it. And here's the thing Dan, how about these student athletes that have got to play for 2 or 3 coaches in a 4-5 year period? It makes no sense."

Not really a shot at GDF or anything, but it doesn't sound like he's going to leave, in my opinion.
Last edited by Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:11 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:

While this is disheartening, I don't think it's conclusive. He never said "I'm not leaving" or "I'm not interested in another job". It is also a positive that he said there's more to it than just money...

Why is it disheartening? He said plainly when asked about money - "Yeah, well there's more to it than that." That's enough to think there's a possibility.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:17 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:

While this is disheartening, I don't think it's conclusive. He never said "I'm not leaving" or "I'm not interested in another job". It is also a positive that he said there's more to it than just money...

Why is it disheartening? He said plainly when asked about money - "Yeah, well there's more to it than that." That's enough to think there's a possibility.

Disheartening because I would think he'd be less likely to take the interview if he was talking to BC. Also, he talks about how happy he is at Tennessee and how great the situation is. There is some positive in there for sure though (not being asked about BC, $$$ not the only thing, yadda yadda yadda)
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:25 pm

hawaiirob {l Wrote}:It could also be that GDF really did not officially whack Al until Monday because GDF needed to see if Pearl went to the F4. Perhaps Pearl told GDF et al that he was going nowhere if he made the F4 or beyond. When Tenn was knocked out, Al became officially fired (not just on notice as Katz and Al seem to imply) and Pearl became the target?? Who the hell knows?

But the silence from Pearl and GDF is eerie. And nothing from Patrick was eerie too. Got to believe Pearl told him not to mention BC. And for all we know, Katz is tighter with GDF and BC than he is with Al - and is creating an even bigger smoke screen with his "Pearl is not going to BC" rhetoric.

I believe GDF is at least - at least - considering Pearl. Not saying it happens. But the attempt is being made.

Rob, this is a crazy, crazy yarn, but I want to believe it.

I don't believe it, but I kinda want to.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:30 pm

In just reading this thread there is absolutely no question in my mind Pearl asked DP not to talk about BC. This interview only upped our chances of getting him IMO.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

additionally, if Pearl wants to hammer home the point that he's super happy in TN and not going anywhere, wouldn't he really, really, really STRENGTHEN his argument to say:

"I have family in Boston. I went to school and got my coaching start at BC. They just offered me a ton of money and I said I'm not leaving Tennessee, even for a chance to come home. So, I'm not going anywhere"

If BC has made overtures towards BC and Bruce Pearl said no, he would have said something to Dan Patrick.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:45 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Disheartening because I would think he'd be less likely to take the interview if he was talking to BC. Also, he talks about how happy he is at Tennessee and how great the situation is. There is some positive in there for sure though (not being asked about BC, $$$ not the only thing, yadda yadda yadda)

Are you expecting him to talk about how miserable he is under his current employer?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 pm

talon {l Wrote}:If BC has made overtures towards BC and Bruce Pearl said no, he would have said something to Dan Patrick.

I don't buy this. If Pearl had turned them down, he would have done so quietly so as not to disgrace his alma mater. Obviously GDF is pursuing Pearl, but if he is rebuffed, it won't be done publicly like the St. John's mess.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 pm

Pahreen {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:If BC has made overtures towards BC and Bruce Pearl said no, he would have said something to Dan Patrick.

I don't buy this. If Pearl had turned them down, he would have done so quietly so as not to disgrace his alma mater. Obviously GDF is pursuing Pearl, but if he is rebuffed, it won't be done publicly like the St. John's mess.

If Pearl turns down BC... you can be damn well sure he will do it quietly, but also with a big effing pay raise from Tenn.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:53 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Pahreen {l Wrote}:

If Pearl turns down BC... you can be damn well sure he will do it quietly, but also with a big effing pay raise from Tenn.

This. It's going to be quite clear either way with Pearl when something happens. That is, either he will be here with a huge salary or he will still be there with a monster increase in salary.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Pahreen {l Wrote}:

Right. The pay-raise will be the tell-tale sign.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum