Pearl's Magic #

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Pearl's Magic #

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:31 pm

I am going to put it out there. If Gene offers BP something around $2.5m/year he comes to Boston, if not, there is no chance. Memphis was willing to pay Calipari $3.2 so I dont think BC should cheap out. I bet there are alums that would contribute up to $1m per year for BO and I hope thats what GDF is working on.

I say Gene pays him and we all get excited about BC basketball as much as BC football.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: Pearl's Magic #

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Tennessee's paying him what, 2.5 million right now? So that's your starting point. Except:

a) The cost of living is way lower in TN, and;
b) Tennessee is going to counter offer him in a meaningful way

Taking those points into consideration, I would estimate that BC has absolutely no chance if they offer him below $3 million, and I have serious doubts that BC could put that type of offer together.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:41 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:a) The cost of living is way lower in TN.

there's a reason the cost of living is way lower in TN.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm

Moreover, money being equal or even close, Pearl would come to BC. The question is whether they will get there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I thought he was averaging $2.3 a year after the raise last year. I am hoping once you make over $1.5 the cost of living wont matter. It does suck that TN can counter anything we do so we are relying on emotion so I hope money isnt an issue. Unless Gabelli is a basketball fan, I dont see us paying $3m a year. If we do pay that much will Spaz be annoyed? He may be worth it if he packs that place every night and helps with DBS.

One problem with equal payouts in the ACC is that it takes some incentive away.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Laughing.Jackal on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:43 pm

We will never know for sure, but I genuinely doubt that GDF even makes an effort to put together a real offer for Pearl. I just don't see him having the backbone to do it.

It's Cooley or Coen. :suicide
Laughing.Jackal
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:44 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I thought he was averaging $2.3 a year after the raise last year. I am hoping once you make over $1.5 the cost of living wont matter. It does suck that TN can counter anything we do so we are relying on emotion so I hope money isnt an issue. Unless Gabelli is a basketball fan, I dont see us paying $3m a year. If we do pay that much will Spaz be annoyed? He may be worth it if he packs that place every night and helps with DBS.

Do you give a flying shit if Spaz is annoyed?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:44 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Moreover, money being equal or even close, Pearl would come to BC. The question is whether they will get there.

That is my hope and I think he is worth it. He could recruit NJ to Boston and have a great program.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I thought he was averaging $2.3 a year after the raise last year. I am hoping once you make over $1.5 the cost of living wont matter. It does suck that TN can counter anything we do so we are relying on emotion so I hope money isnt an issue. Unless Gabelli is a basketball fan, I dont see us paying $3m a year. If we do pay that much will Spaz be annoyed? He may be worth it if he packs that place every night and helps with DBS.

No, I was just curious, it has to be a blow to ones ego. Personnally I want to win. Everything. Always.

My perfect year is a hockey, baseball, basketball and football championship and do it with all returning juniors.

TWB I figured you would be pulling for Knight since he loved Ted Williams so much.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I hope he's annoyed and tries to find another job.

BWAHAHAHAHA... just think... Spaz... trying to get another head coaching job... I cannot think of anything more fruitless.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
Pookie84 {l Wrote}:a) The cost of living is way lower in TN.

there's a reason the cost of living is way lower in TN.

Yeah, it's because the Poon is both MUCH BETTER, MUCH CHEAPER, and MUCH EASIER to get your hands on.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Just understand that, after UT's inevitable counter-offer, it's going to take around $3 million for BC to be "close or equal." So that's pretty much what we're talking about. $3 million isn't a godfather offer here - it's what gets BC in the conversation.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 pm

I was thinking they would need to offer between $3 and $3.5 million per year to get the ball rolling. However, I have accepted the fact that BC will not pursue him.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No, I was just curious, it has to be a blow to ones ego. Personnally I want to win. Everything. Always.

My perfect year is a hockey, baseball, basketball and football championship and do it with all returning juniors.

TWB I figured you would be pulling for Knight since he loved Ted Williams so much.

I'd prefer not to give the resident kook any fodder to rant about Knight. Shhhhh.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I was thinking they would need to offer between $3 and $3.5 million per year to get the ball rolling. However, I have accepted the fact that BC will not pursue him.

Where exactly is the Athletic Department going to come up with that sum of money? Nowhere is the answer.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:56 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I was thinking they would need to offer between $3 and $3.5 million per year to get the ball rolling. However, I have accepted the fact that BC will not pursue him.

Where exactly is the Athletic Department going to come up with that sum of money? Nowhere is the answer.

We are one of the more profitble schools and donation will rise when we win. I guarantee you half the people here gave more after Ryan's senior year. I also dont mind cutting all the the womens sports except nag hockey and Bball.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

3.5 is a stretch, but GDF could scrape together 2.5 or 3 if he wanted to. It is his job to come up with that money.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We are one of the more profitble schools and donation will rise when we win. I guarantee you half the people here gave more after Ryan's senior year. I also dont mind cutting all the the womens sports except nag hockey and Bball.

We would be unable to offer a full 85 scholarships for our football team if we went down to nag hockey and bball.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Why do guys like Katz and others in the media say there is zero percent chance of Pearl coming to BC? What information do they have that would lead them to make such bold statements? My guess is they wouldn't make such statments if they weren't 100% sure.

I take this as bad news.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We would be unable to offer a full 85 scholarships for our football team if we went down to nag hockey and bball.

We can keep all sporrts that we have to give schollies but no equipment, and quidditch also.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:06 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We can keep all sporrts that we have to give schollies but no equipment, and quidditch also.

IB told me that flying broomsticks cost a lot of gold pieces.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Just skim it from the $ the Roche family donated for the Catholic school thing. Nobody will notice.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:13 pm

3.25 is my guess. Plus full reign over the program- i.e. Gene can have no say over the choices he makes.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby bc41irish39 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:44 pm

I am just happy that Pearl hasnt come out and said No yet!
Last edited by bc41irish39 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bc41irish39
n00b

Postby Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Pearl on the Dan Patrick show today.

Dan Patrick: "You contacted by Oregon?"
Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no contact by Oregon...I'm an Adidas guy."
Dan Patrick: "What about St. John's?"
Bruce Pearl: "No."
Dan Patrick: "Are you insulted?"
Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no because I put it out there very, very, very, very openly that I'm happy at Tennessee. That Tennessee has created a situation here where we can do, we can do some (?) at Tennessee and anything I can do at anyplace else."
Dan Patrick: "Well, you can get a blank check at Oregon, Bruce."
Bruce Pearl: "Yeah, well there's more to it than that. You know, my family is here. Tennessee has given me the opportunity of a lifetime."

Link. It's about 3/4 of the way in.
Last edited by Pahreen on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:3.25 is my guess. Plus full reign over the program- i.e. Gene can have no say over the choices he makes.

I think he can be had for $2.5. But, money won't be the issue preventing BC from hiring Pearl... the full reign over the program will be.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:59 pm

Pahreen {l Wrote}:Pearl on the Dan Patrick show today.

Bruce Pearl: "No, no, no because I put it out there very, very, very, very openly that I'm happy at Tennessee. That Tennessee has created a situation here where we can do, we can do some (?) at Tennessee and anything I can do at anyplace else."
Bruce Pearl: "Yeah, well there's more to it than that. You know, my family is here. Tennessee has given me the opportunity of a lifetime."

While this is disheartening, I don't think it's conclusive. He never said "I'm not leaving" or "I'm not interested in another job". It is also a positive that he said there's more to it than just money...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 pm

how the eff can DP ask about Oregon or St. John's and not BC? Unless Pearl told him before the interview NOT to mention the vacancy at BC.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

how the eff can DP ask about Oregon or St. John's and not BC? Unless Pearl told him before the interview NOT to mention the vacancy at BC.

I was thinking the same thing.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

Could it be that Pearl would have told DP not to mention BC, but knew that DP would never in a million years think Pearl would actually consider coaching at such a "non-entity"?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum