Katz

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Katz

Postby screagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:53 am

screagle
Carney Hall

Re: Katz

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:00 am

He's right. Why does GDF not take any blame for the hiring and firing of Jags... for the terrible Gameday atmosphere... for the dramatic fall-off in attendance in both BB and FB... for every single coach who has ever worked for him hate him with every fire of their being (save Spaz)??? Also, it is incredibly poor to be bad-mouthing Al in the press. The man did a good job here for 13 years. There is no reason to throw his entire career under the bus (ala OJ) just because you didn't like the way he marketed the program. Isn't that the AD's job by the way? Well, when no one shows up for Skinner-Lite, whose to blame asshole?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:01 am

screagle {l Wrote}:i love katz, but he needs to quit the al lovefest already...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5046760/when-there-culpability-ads

I just read that. Is he effing kidding me?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am

"roughly close to $500,000 overall" is semi illiteracy
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am

HJS {l Wrote}:He's right. Why does GDF not take any blame for the hiring and firing of Jags... for the terrible Gameday atmosphere... for the dramatic fall-off in attendance in both BB and FB... for every single coach who has ever worked for him hate him with every fire of their being (save Spaz)??? Also, it is incredibly poor to be bad-mouthing Al in the press. The man did a good job here for 13 years. There is no reason to throw his entire career under the bus (ala OJ) just because you didn't like the way he marketed the program. Isn't that the AD's job by the way? Well, when no one shows up for Skinner-Lite, whose to blame asshole?

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:05 am

Ironic how many national press people are echoing HJS' "agenda". Twice in the last year. Just sayin'.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:09 am

It's amazing how national guys who have so much access don't have a fucking clue. Tone it down Andy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:14 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:It's amazing how national guys who have so much access don't have a fucking clue. Tone it down Andy.

Maybe, since he has so much access, people should be reconsidering their positions and asking whether he is right. Some on this board are like battered wives when it comes to GDF... "You guys don't know him like I do... he really is a great man... he really does have out best interest in mind... he is just misunderstood... I know what it looks like from the outside, but if you could only see things through my eyes... look, we're not perfect... he's doing the best he can given all the faults and problems we lay at his feet."

Honestly... people here should be ashamed that GDF represents this school.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:It's amazing how national guys who have so much access don't have a fucking clue. Tone it down Andy.

Maybe, since he has so much access, people should be reconsidering their positions and asking whether he is right. Some on this board are like battered wives when it comes to GDF... "You guys don't know him like I do... he really is a great man... he really does have out best interest in mind... he is just misunderstood... I know what it looks like from the outside, but if you could only see things through my eyes... look, we're not perfect... he's doing the best he can given all the faults and problems we lay at his feet."

I hate Gene as our AD, he's as much of the problem as the coaching around here, we're in agreement. Although true, you drive your agenda so hard it puts a lot of people off. At least I gave Skinner credit last year when it was due.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I hate Gene as our AD, he's as much of the problem as the coaching around here, we're in agreement. Although true, you drive your agenda so hard it puts a lot of people off. At least I gave Skinner credit last year when it was due.

There's a reason this :thehjs is called "thehjs".
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:11 pm

I've said this before, but part of what made Katz a great reporter for BC hoops is that he had access inside the program that it seemed our local beat guys didn't have. Now, we're all finding out who was giving him that access: Skinner or a Skinner staffer (my guess would be Duke since he's had the access for awhile).

That's all this is.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I've said this before, but part of what made Katz a great reporter for BC hoops is that he had access inside the program that it seemed our local beat guys didn't have. Now, we're all finding out who was giving him that access: Skinner or a Skinner staffer (my guess would be Duke since he's had the access for awhile).

That's all this is.

Katz originally had access to the BC program through Tim O'Shea as they were friends. He eventually because close with all of the other coaches on the staff from that time - Coen, Cooley, and Duquette. Duquette is the one giving him access now as he's the only one left.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 pm

Katz was close with the Skinner staff but I bet he will continue to be close to whoever takes over. He's been going to BC games for 35 years and any time he is home he stops by BC. He's really a BC fan, although he cannot really say so given his job.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Katz was close with the Skinner staff but I bet he will continue to be close to whoever takes over. He's been going to BC games for 35 years and any time he is home he stops by BC. He's really a BC fan, although he cannot really say so given his job.

This is true. My point was simply people seem baffled that he would write the story his sources are giving him. That's how he gets his info on BC hoops.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Katz was close with the Skinner staff but I bet he will continue to be close to whoever takes over. He's been going to BC games for 35 years and any time he is home he stops by BC. He's really a BC fan, although he cannot really say so given his job.

I like Katz, but I hate his agenda about as much as I hate HJS's agenda.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What agenda? He had his own personal observations of Skinner and thought the guy got a raw deal. He now is writing about it, that is his job.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What agenda? He had his own personal observations of Skinner and thought the guy got a raw deal. He now is writing about it, that is his job.

Katz is going to defend Skinner all the way down the river no matter what the truth really was.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What agenda? He had his own personal RELATIONSHIP with Skinner and thought the guy got a raw deal. He now is writing about it, that is his job.

Katz and Skinner had a friendship or the like going on, and Katz is going to bat for him. Unfortunately Andy, as someone who does some work in the sports media, that's not your job.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Katz is going to defend Skinner all the way down the river no matter what the truth really was.

Yes because he was there and witnessed things that you or I did not witness. If Gene doesn't like what Katz has written, pick up the phone and tell Katz what "really" happened.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Yes because he was there and witnessed things that you or I did not witness. If Gene doesn't like what Katz has written, pick up the phone and tell Katz what "really" happened.

Already happened. Gene = Bob Ryan Article Skinner = Katz article. You can believe whoever you want, but it's not Katz's job to go to bat for a friend.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Already happened. Gene = Bob Ryan Article Skinner = Katz article. You can believe whoever you want, but it's not Katz's job to go to bat for a friend.

Yup. Cause journalists never go to bat to keep their sources happy and the info flowing. Is it ethical? No. But to act like it never happens is silly.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Already happened. Gene = Bob Ryan Article Skinner = Katz article. You can believe whoever you want, but it's not Katz's job to go to bat for a friend.

Yup. Cause journalists never go to bat to keep their sources happy and the info flowing. Is it ethical? No. But to act like it never happens is silly.

Trust me I know it happens. It's just not in the job description. Michael Wilbon goes to bat for certain guys in this town all the time to keep his sources open
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Trust me I know it happens. It's just not in the job description. Michael Wilbon goes to bat for certain guys in this town all the time to keep his sources open

And so does every political reporter in your town, too. Common practice.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby screagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:30 pm

now espn has a poll on their main page...

"should boston college have removed skinner as head coach?"
screagle
Carney Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:36 pm

The reality is that the TOB firing and the Skinner firing were the right moves at the right time. The mis-handling of these moves, the poor process by which they have been done (and this includes Jags), and the utter arrogance that Gene exudes are what have people believing the moves were not correct. Two separate issues that people won't distinguish between for emotional reasons.

Katz needs to stop crying for lazy Al and accept what has happened based on the simple facts - that Al just wasn't getting it done any longer.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:37 pm

screagle {l Wrote}:now espn has a poll on their main page...

"should boston college have removed skinner as head coach?"

60% say no. Mass and NH both are in the yes camp.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:The reality is that the TOB firing and the Skinner firing were the right moves at the right time.

Do you mean Jags firing? TOB wasn't fired, although Gene seemed happy to let him go.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Return to Conte Forum