Staff question

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Staff question

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am

It's really going to depend mainly on who the hire is, but I think cutting the strings completely in a situation like this is the best way to go.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:26 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't mind a Cooley/Coen staff with Duquette on it. I think we could get good results. I just get frustrated that our AD talks about an open search and a lot of interest and then gives clear signals as to how he wants the program run. We know Pearl isn't coming regardless, but let's say Al left after 2005 and we had a chance to hire Pearl from UW-Milwaukee. If Gene hinted to him that he couldn't pick his own staff, do you think he would have taken the job? Do you think it will give Donahue and Mooney pause?

If you are going to have a Cooley/Coen staff with Duquette then why bother firing Al?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:People expected Cassara to walk in and recruit like mad but they didn't appreciate/understand the circumstances under which Al lets his assistants recruit. He only gives a long leash to those who know the type of players he wants and those who have been around for a while--i.e. Coen, Cooley, Duq. Lotta red tape for Mo.

I like Mo, but I am calling BS on this. Murphy landed Sanders and Southern as a GA and then Director of Ops guy.

Thank God he landed Southern and Sanders. Where would we be without those 4* gems?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
bcaddict {l Wrote}:People expected Cassara to walk in and recruit like mad but they didn't appreciate/understand the circumstances under which Al lets his assistants recruit. He only gives a long leash to those who know the type of players he wants and those who have been around for a while--i.e. Coen, Cooley, Duq. Lotta red tape for Mo.

I like Mo, but I am calling BS on this. Murphy landed Sanders and Southern as a GA and then Director of Ops guy.

Was this meant as a positive statement?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:31 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't mind a Cooley/Coen staff with Duquette on it. I think we could get good results. I just get frustrated that our AD talks about an open search and a lot of interest and then gives clear signals as to how he wants the program run. We know Pearl isn't coming regardless, but let's say Al left after 2005 and we had a chance to hire Pearl from UW-Milwaukee. If Gene hinted to him that he couldn't pick his own staff, do you think he would have taken the job? Do you think it will give Donahue and Mooney pause?

If you are going to have a Cooley/Coen staff with Duquette then why bother firing Al?

I can't speak for GDF, but the theory is Coen/Cooely with Duke would win, recruit hard, and sell the program.

I think Gene was tired of the Maine/Harvard losses, looking to blame someone for an empty Conte, wanted Al to can Mo and Bonzie and wants a coaching staff that defers and works with him. I think sending Pat out to to halftime interviews is one of those small things that gets Gene's blood boiling.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:33 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

They haven't lived up to their guru hype but at least he landed recruits. Mo's main contribution is a late blooming redshirt freshmen Canadian. That's been it.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby westwoodeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:56 am

If Coen/Cooley get the job, Duquette sticking around would be a good thing. Coen especially would need an associate as his current #2 at NU is in his 70s and definitely not what we need from a recruiting/living more than 5 years perspective. If anyone other than the two of them get the job, Gene had better give them free rein to bring in their own staff.
westwoodeagle
n00b

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:59 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

wasn't Southern being sought after by Kentucky and Michigan State? Regardless of how he turned out, he was still a pretty big get as a recruit.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 pm

westwoodeagle {l Wrote}:If Coen/Cooley get the job, Duquette sticking around would be a good thing. Coen especially would need an associate as his current #2 at NU is in his 70s and definitely not what we need from a recruiting/living more than 5 years perspective. If anyone other than the two of them get the job, Gene had better give them free rein to bring in their own staff.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm afraid that GDF will hire Coen/Cooley because he knows them and they know him. He will make them to report to him. I think Gene has a major inferiority complex when it comes to revenue generating sports and wants to be known as the reason why things happened the way they did (when the good things happen). With a guy like Pearl (or any other big time coach), he's going to do whatever he wants and won't want to report to anybody. I'm afraid Gene won't let that happen.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 pm

talon {l Wrote}:wasn't Southern being sought after by Kentucky and Michigan State? Regardless of how he turned out, he was still a pretty big get as a recruit.

And... let's not forget... Bruce Pearl.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:05 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

I can't speak for GDF, but the theory is Coen/Cooely with Duke would win, recruit hard, and sell the program.

I think Gene was tired of the Maine/Harvard losses, looking to blame someone for an empty Conte, wanted Al to can Mo and Bonzie and wants a coaching staff that defers and works with him. I think sending Pat out to to halftime interviews is one of those small things that gets Gene's blood boiling.

It would not be weird at all for Duke to remain coaching the same malcontents that got his last boss fired? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:wasn't Southern being sought after by Kentucky and Michigan State? Regardless of how he turned out, he was still a pretty big get as a recruit.

And... let's not forget... Bruce Pearl.

I completely credit Al Skinner with making Josh Southern the player he is today. Conditioning especially but coaching also would do Josh Southern wonders, but you're not getting much of that at BC under the previous regime. Southern could be adequate under the right tutelage (notice *** ******* became a decent player once he went to the big man camp in Houston)
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I completely credit Al Skinner with making Josh Southern the player he is today. Conditioning especially but coaching also would do Josh Southern wonders, but you're not getting much of that at BC under the previous regime. Southern could be adequate under the right tutelage (notice *** ******* became a decent player once he went to the big man camp in Houston)

As I do, I have never seen a team so out of shape. This team would be absolutely gassed near the end of games and Skinner went with some of his deepest lineups of his BC career. This is the reason we also sucked against the press, we didn't have many decent ball handlers but we also were so dead towards the end of the game it was a :gun .

Oh and can someone take the Costco box of twinkies away from Sanders?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I completely credit Al Skinner with making Josh Southern the player he is today. Conditioning especially but coaching also would do Josh Southern wonders, but you're not getting much of that at BC under the previous regime. Southern could be adequate under the right tutelage (notice *** ******* became a decent player once he went to the big man camp in Houston)

As I do, I have never seen a team so out of shape. This team would be absolutely gassed near the end of games and Skinner went with some of his deepest lineups of his BC career. This is the reason we also sucked against the press, we didn't have many decent ball handlers but we also were so dead towards the end of the game it was a :gun .

I agree with this. Conditioning was a terrible problem this year. Sanders looked fat, and Trapani always looked gassed 2 minutes into the second half.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcaddict on Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:45 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Murphy's related to Southern. The whole staff was going after Sanders. but Murphy's from the area.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:01 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I know how our AD feels, but if a new coach was willing to keep Duquette and/or Preston Murphy on the staff to help transition, would that be a positive or negative in your mind?

Duquette is a solid assistant. What success was there recruiting the past few years was because of him. He is a positive.

However, he should probably just move on for his own sake. As for anyone else on the staff, I say a very big negative if they were retained.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I agree with this. Conditioning was a terrible problem this year. Sanders looked fat, and Trapani always looked gassed 2 minutes into the second half.

We always sucked balls in the last 4 minutes of the 1st half and were useless coming out of halftime. That my friends is called being fat and out of shape combined with a coach who has no X's and O's ability whatsoever. Skinner's fired up locker room speeches also got us down about 10-2 to start the game usually.

Even with Cooley or Coen, we're still in better shape than with Skinner.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum