Does GDF get sucked in by the emotional interview again?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Does GDF get sucked in by the emotional interview again?

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:37 am

By public and back channel accounts Cooley's interview went better than expected. He and Gene always had a good connection and everyone in Fairfield raves about Ed. He is a high energy guy who loves BC. Under normal circumstances he would probably be behind the other candidates, but our AD is a sucker for "rah rah, I love BC" types. He would also be cheap and controllable. This is starting to feel familiar...

For the record, I think Cooley would be pretty good. I just wish this process and our AD weren't so predictable.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Does GDF get sucked by the emotional interview again?

Postby BCBaseball on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 am

Cooley is an outstanding coach.

I know one of his assistants through the aau circuit, and one of the guys who this board thought highly of as a candidate ( he's no longer available ) raves about Cooley, as a coach and a guy.

Having said that, I don't think he'll get the job. A few years from now, Cooley will be hot commodity, I believe.
BCBaseball
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:45 am

Hiring Ed Cooley is an unmitigated disaster. Anyone is better than Skinner IMO, but Cooley is an awful choice.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:47 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hiring Ed Cooley is an unmitigated disaster. Anyone is better than Skinner IMO, but Cooley is an awful choice.

Why do you say that? What leads you to believe that Cooley would be a disaster?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:55 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hiring Ed Cooley is an unmitigated disaster. Anyone is better than Skinner IMO, but Cooley is an awful choice.

I don't want ex-Skinner assistants and his record at Fairfield, who doesn't play in a strong mid-major conference, is blah at best.

I'm in the Donahue camp for full disclosure here. He's consistently finished near or at the top of the Ivy 5 years running, young, energetic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I don't want ex-Skinner assistants and his record at Fairfield, who doesn't play in a strong mid-major conference, is blah at best.

I'm in the Donahue camp for full disclosure here. He's consistently finished near or at the top of the Ivy 5 years running, young, energetic.

I'm with you on Skinner assistants. Nothing against Coen or Cooley, but we need to move on and hiring anyone from the Skinner coaching tree is not the way to do that.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Since you mentioned Donahue, I get the sense that Cooley is much more of a rah-rah type than Donahue (based on the little that I know about him). Further, he built Fairfield's program to respectability much faster than did Donahue at Cornell, who plays in a similarly weak conference.

Basically, I think it's fool-hardy to eliminate a candidate solely based on his lineage. Sure, I don't want Coen/Cooley to get an advantage in the search, but to eliminate them right-off-the-bat solely based on their connection to Al is eliminating two good coaches for no good reason, IMO.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Re: Does GDF get sucked in by the emotional interview again?

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:02 am

How about eliminating someone (Cooley) because their resume is not nearly solid enough to warrant an ACC head coaching job?

Three years of .500 basketball at a MAAC school, with no tournament appearances. A number of years as an assistant (not the top assistant, either) for the coach you just paid $3 million to go away.

We're in the ACC. We can't attract a surer thing than that?
Pookie84
n00b

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:04 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I'm with you on Skinner assistants. Nothing against Coen or Cooley, but we need to move on and hiring anyone from the Skinner coaching tree is not the way to do that.

Exactly. Under different circumstance, I wouldn't be opposed to either guy but this is a chance to change the culture of the program. Do something different and hire a big name.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Since you mentioned Donahue, I get the sense that Cooley is much more of a rah-rah type than Donahue (based on the little that I know about him). Further, he built Fairfield's program to respectability much faster than did Donahue at Cornell, who plays in a similarly weak conference.

Basically, I think it's fool-hardy to eliminate a candidate solely based on his lineage. Sure, I don't want Coen/Cooley to get an advantage in the search, but to eliminate them right-off-the-bat solely based on their connection to Al is eliminating two good coaches for no good reason, IMO.

It took them both three years. Donahue and Cornell finished like 2,3,2,1,1,1 in the Ivy after the rebuilding or something like that.

Donahue also runs a legitimate basketball offense (motion), unlike that ridiculous tight flex.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 am

If our Napoleonic dwarf trades Al Skinner and $3 million for Ed fucking Cooley, I'm going to lose it. It makes absolutely NO sense to get rid of Skinner if you're going to replace him with one of his assistants. None.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:11 am

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:How about eliminating someone (Cooley) because their resume is not nearly solid enough to warrant an ACC head coaching job?

Three years of .500 basketball at a MAAC school, with no tournament appearances. A number of years as an assistant (not the top assistant, either) for the coach you just paid $3 million to go away.

Fairfield has win more games each year Cooley has been there, and missed the tourney this year after losing to Siena in overtime in the MAAC championship game. Not saying that he's ready, or anywhere near my first choice, but there are plenty of signs that he's a capable coach.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:If our Napoleonic dwarf trades Al Skinner and $3 million for Ed fucking Cooley, I'm going to lose it. It makes absolutely NO sense to get rid of Skinner if you're going to replace him with one of his assistants. None.

I'm not necessarily down on someone simply because they were a Skinner assistant. Many will say that Cooley and Coen were behind whatever good recruiting that was done during Skinner's tenure. However, we have the opportunity to hire an enthusiastic coach with a proven track record in season and post season performance as well as in recruiting. If we want to be an ACC caliber team, then let's have the AD and Administration show such leadership.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:17 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Pookie84 {l Wrote}:How about eliminating someone (Cooley) because their resume is not nearly solid enough to warrant an ACC head coaching job?

Fairfield has win more games each year Cooley has been there, and missed the tourney this year after losing to Siena in overtime in the MAAC championship game. Not saying that he's ready, or anywhere near my first choice, but there are plenty of signs that he's a capable coach.

So, Fairfield couldn't get it done in the MAAC tourney and Coen's BU team gagged down the stretch against UConn in the NIT. These guys really have learned from Al.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:18 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:

So, Fairfield couldn't get it done in the MAAC tourney and Coen's NU team gagged down the stretch against UConn in the NIT. These guys really have learned from Al.

Fixed.

PS: Stop being a duche.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:22 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

This is beyond retarded. We shouldn't eliminate them right off the bat because of their connection to the coach GDF just slammed as horrible and playing a boring brand of BB??? The only fucking reason they are being considered at all for the job is BECAUSE of their connection with Skinner. Jesus Christ! Their resume won't get them a sniff at an Ivy or A10 school. Not a freaking courtesy interview!!! Why not look at Dr. Brett Reed. He is under 40, a freaking PHD and has coached at an academic school.

Gene is full of fail and anyone who thus far approves of the smalltime we-are--what-we-are search he is conducting should surrender their diploma immediately since they don't have a freaking clue what "Αἰέν ἀριστεύειν" means.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 am

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

I think Coen or Cooley are more of sure thing than most options. I don't know if either will take us to the next level or have Conte rocking, but I am confident they can win 20ish game, 9+ ACC games and have us in the tourney on a consistent basis.

We could attract a bigger name given our conference but money and power issues will be a turn off to many good candidates. Hell, earlier this week, Mooney wasn't even sure if BC was the right job for him.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:28 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

This is beyond retarded. We shouldn't eliminate them right off the bat because of their connection to the coach GDF just slammed as horrible and playing a boring brand of BB??? The only fucking reason they are being considered at all for the job is BECAUSE of their connection with Skinner. Jesus Christ! Their resume won't get them a sniff at an Ivy or A10 school. Not a freaking courtesy interview!!! Why not look at Dr. Brett Reed. He is under 40, a freaking PHD and has coached at an academic school.

Gene is full of fail and anyone who thus far approves of the smalltime we-are--what-we-are search he is conducting should surrender their diploma immediately since they don't have a freaking clue what "Αἰέν ἀριστεύειν" means.

Agree, agree, agree...shoot for the fucking moon already. BC will never shake the media's perception of its sports programs unless BC starts making significant changes to its sports programs. It starts with hiring coaches. This is an opportunity to say "fuck off" BC is a place that big name, successful, well established coaches want to go. You guys all want to be like Villanova and Georgetown so why would you settle for ex-assistants or mid-major guys who have had limited success?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 am

Look, we all want a big name coach. I'm just not sure Pearl is coming here. So suggest another name. Frank Martin ain't coming here either nor is Bobby Knight so forget those names.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:

So, Fairfield couldn't get it done in the MAAC tourney and Coen's NU team gagged down the stretch against UConn in the NIT. These guys really have learned from Al.

Fixed.

You spelled "douche" wrong. Might want to fix the spelling.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:35 am

If this quote from the Globe is really accurate, then it shows how out of touch Skinner was.

"sources close to Skinner say he was “blindsided’’ by the decision to fire him last week"

Let's not settle for several more years of mediocrity! If GDF and the BC hierarchy were ready to accept a $3M+ debt by terminating Skinner, they should have had a fiscal plan in place to move BC forward as a consistent ACC and national contender. Otherwise, they should have kept Skinner for another year while formulating a legitimate financial plan for BC basketball.

GO :screamyeagle :screamyeagle :screamyeagle
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

I understand your role as resident dick-hole, but there is a certain irony to you calling something that I say "beyond retarded." If they hire O'Shea or Lappas or Duq, as you haven repeatedly (and incorrectly) stated they will, I'll be the first to baby maker-punt GDF out of my alma-mater. But, you simply can't effing tell me that it's not worth at least speaking to the Al assistants that 1) are widely credited with doing the most of the work for Al when he was winning Big East and National COY Honors and winning conferences and 2) have furthermore both began to successfully build programs elsewhere. We know these guys are excellent coaches. It's not an indictment on GDF that he'd want to interview them.

As an aside, while we're on the topic, I'm amazed that OJ isn't begging GDF to hire Coen or Cooley. He has stated time and time again that Al is horrible and the assistants were great. By his logic, these assistants are solely to credit for the program's recent successes. By that same logic, wouldn't either make a superb head coach?
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Look, we all want a big name coach. I'm just not sure Pearl is coming here. So suggest another name. Frank Martin ain't coming here either nor is Bobby Knight so forget those names.

So you are saying "we are what we are." BC will never get a big name coach so they shouldn't pursue one.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:39 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:

Fixed.

You spelled "douche" wrong. Might want to fix the spelling.

Yea, because my error changed the meaning of what I was saying just as much as your error changed the meaning of what you were saying.

PS: I respect you and your perception of irony.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:44 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Look, we all want a big name coach. I'm just not sure Pearl is coming here. So suggest another name. Frank Martin ain't coming here either nor is Bobby Knight so forget those names.

So you are saying "we are what we are." BC will never get a big name coach so they shouldn't pursue one.

No I'm not. I'm saying you need to suggest some reasonable names. Pearl is one
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:45 am

BU and NU are the same to me. But thanks for the correction.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby thebs19 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:48 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Agree, agree, agree...shoot for the fucking moon already. BC will never shake the media's perception of its sports programs unless BC starts making significant changes to its sports programs. It starts with hiring coaches. This is an opportunity to say "fuck off" BC is a place that big name, successful, well established coaches want to go. You guys all want to be like Villanova and Georgetown so why would you settle for ex-assistants or mid-major guys who have had limited success?

You mean the schools that hired coaches of Princeton and Hofstra? Got it.

Look, not trying to be an asshole here with my first post of whatever (btw, big fan of this spot as a great source of info on the program(s) so I lurk often), but the Chicken Little attitude regarding this search (which is in hour, what, 36??) is disconcerning.

Realize that 'Coach Flip' hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt, but the interview he gave was encouraging and he's basically interviewing guys that are at least somewhat interesting or had to be interviewed (if anyone really thought Coen and Cooley wouldn't at least be given courtesy interviews they're idiots) that are AVAILABLE TO DO SO right away. We've got time. If he makes a decision after today, then yeah, the search was a crock. But imploring him to hire Brad Stevens when his team is preparing for the fucking Final 4 is ridiculous. He's not gonna be talking to team (if at all) until at least midweek next week. So calm down. See it thru. I'd personally like to see a hungry mid-major guy than some retread. And thats exactly what Cooley, Donahue, Mooney, etc are. So I don't see the problem with what Gene is doing right now. I don't understand why people are pointing to the records of these guys are reasons why they are or aren't good candidates. Think of the resources they work with - look at things like recruiting prowess, improvement of the program since they arrived, etc. Pointing to the fact that Mooney hasn't gotten RICHMOND to the Final Four or Ed Cooley has yet to have a 30 win season at Fairfield is retarded.

I'd love us to get a Pearl, Stevens, Few, etc. But if we don't, that doesn't mean its Gene's fault. You have to find the motivation of a guy like that to come here. I'm having trouble finding it. I'd be very happy finding the next Jay Wright before he becomes Jay Wright, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Bruce Pearl to get excitement around the program going again.

Anyways, thats my two cents here. Flame away.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 am

I think Coen or Cooley are more of sure thing than most options. I don't know if either will take us to the next level or have Conte rocking, but I am confident they can win 20ish game, 9+ ACC games and have us in the tourney on a consistent basis.

We could attract a bigger name given our conference but money and power issues will be a turn off to many good candidates. Hell, earlier this week, Mooney wasn't even sure if BC was the right job for him.

ATL, I don't agree that Coen or Cooley are more of a sure thing than most options. Neither has much of a track record as a head coach, and neither has accomplished anything as an assistant beyond what Al accomplished - which got him fired this week. As non-plussed as I am about Donahue and Mooney, at least they've built programs that won conference titles, have coached in the NCAA tournament, and have strong coaching backgrounds (I'm talking X's-and-O's coaching) outside of the Al Skinner cocoon. And that's ignoring the bigger-name candidates who Gene is apparently poo-pooing right off the bat.

If 'money and power issues' are enough to turn off better candidates, then we have a serious problem at BC. And his name is Gene Defilippo and he needs to go.
Last edited by Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 am

From his Fairfield profile:

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." If that's true, only great things are in store for the Fairfield University men's basketball program because there is no one more enthusiastic than Head Coach Ed Cooley. If enthusiasm is contagious, then Ed Cooley is what is known as a carrier.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:51 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:

You mean the schools that hired coaches of Princeton and Hofstra? Got it.

Look, not trying to be an asshole here with my first post of whatever (btw, big fan of this spot as a great source of info on the program(s) so I lurk often), but the Chicken Little attitude regarding this search (which is in hour, what, 36??) is disconcerning.

Realize that 'Coach Flip' hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt, but the interview he gave was encouraging and he's basically interviewing guys that are at least somewhat interesting or had to be interviewed (if anyone really thought Coen and Cooley wouldn't at least be given courtesy interviews they're idiots) that are AVAILABLE TO DO SO right away. We've got time. If he makes a decision after today, then yeah, the search was a crock. But imploring him to hire Brad Stevens when his team is preparing for the fucking Final 4 is ridiculous. He's not gonna be talking to team (if at all) until at least midweek next week. So calm down. See it thru. I'd personally like to see a hungry mid-major guy than some retread, personally. And thats exactly what Cooley, Donahue, Mooney, etc are. So I don't see the problem with what Gene is doing right now. I don't understand why people are pointing to the records of these guys are reasons why they are or aren't good candidates. Think of the resources they work with - look at things like recruiting prowess, improvement of the program since they arrived, etc. Pointing to the fact that Mooney hasn't gotten RICHMOND to the Final Four or Ed Cooley has yet to have a 30 win season at Fairfield.

I'd love us to get a Pearl, Stevens, Few, etc. But if we don't, that doesn't mean its Gene's fault. You have to find the motivation of a guy like that to come here. I'm having trouble finding it. I'd be very happy finding the next Jay Wright before he becomes Jay Wright, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Bruce Pearl to get excitement around the program going again.

Anyways, thats my two cents here. Flame away.

Get used to it. The attitude of 90% of this board is that if Gene doesn't hire a big name, he's made a bad hire. That's just the way it is.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum