Does GDF get sucked in by the emotional interview again?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Does GDF get sucked by the emotional interview again?

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 am

thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Agree, agree, agree...shoot for the fucking moon already. BC will never shake the media's perception of its sports programs unless BC starts making significant changes to its sports programs. It starts with hiring coaches. This is an opportunity to say "fuck off" BC is a place that big name, successful, well established coaches want to go. You guys all want to be like Villanova and Georgetown so why would you settle for ex-assistants or mid-major guys who have had limited success?

You mean the schools that hired coaches of Princeton and Hofstra? Got it.

Look, not trying to be an asshole here with my first post of whatever (btw, big fan of this spot as a great source of info on the program(s) so I lurk often), but the Chicken Little attitude regarding this search (which is in hour, what, 36??) is disconcerning.

Realize that 'Coach Flip' hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt, but the interview he gave was encouraging and he's basically interviewing guys that are at least somewhat interesting or had to be interviewed (if anyone really thought Coen and Cooley wouldn't at least be given courtesy interviews they're idiots) that are AVAILABLE TO DO SO right away. We've got time. If he makes a decision after today, then yeah, the search was a crock. But imploring him to hire Brad Stevens when his team is preparing for the fucking Final 4 is ridiculous. He's not gonna be talking to team (if at all) until at least midweek next week. So calm down. See it thru. I'd personally like to see a hungry mid-major guy than some retread. And thats exactly what Cooley, Donahue, Mooney, etc are. So I don't see the problem with what Gene is doing right now. I don't understand why people are pointing to the records of these guys are reasons why they are or aren't good candidates. Think of the resources they work with - look at things like recruiting prowess, improvement of the program since they arrived, etc. Pointing to the fact that Mooney hasn't gotten RICHMOND to the Final Four or Ed Cooley has yet to have a 30 win season at Fairfield is retarded.

I'd love us to get a Pearl, Stevens, Few, etc. But if we don't, that doesn't mean its Gene's fault. You have to find the motivation of a guy like that to come here. I'm having trouble finding it. I'd be very happy finding the next Jay Wright before he becomes Jay Wright, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Bruce Pearl to get excitement around the program going again.

Anyways, thats my two cents here. Flame away.

Good post. Welcome to the Nexus. Souinds like you've got a thick skin - it will serve you well here.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Re: Does GDF get sucked in by the emotional interview again?

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 am

If enthusiasm is contagious, then Ed Cooley is what is known as a carrier.

So, he himself never actually shows any signs of enthusiasm, but then he quietly passes it on to others? Interesting.
Pookie84
n00b

Re: Does GDF get sucked by the emotional interview again?

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:58 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
thebs19 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Agree, agree, agree...shoot for the fucking moon already. BC will never shake the media's perception of its sports programs unless BC starts making significant changes to its sports programs. It starts with hiring coaches. This is an opportunity to say "fuck off" BC is a place that big name, successful, well established coaches want to go. You guys all want to be like Villanova and Georgetown so why would you settle for ex-assistants or mid-major guys who have had limited success?

You mean the schools that hired coaches of Princeton and Hofstra? Got it.

Look, not trying to be an asshole here with my first post of whatever (btw, big fan of this spot as a great source of info on the program(s) so I lurk often), but the Chicken Little attitude regarding this search (which is in hour, what, 36??) is disconcerning.

Realize that 'Coach Flip' hasn't done much to earn the benefit of the doubt, but the interview he gave was encouraging and he's basically interviewing guys that are at least somewhat interesting or had to be interviewed (if anyone really thought Coen and Cooley wouldn't at least be given courtesy interviews they're idiots) that are AVAILABLE TO DO SO right away. We've got time. If he makes a decision after today, then yeah, the search was a crock. But imploring him to hire Brad Stevens when his team is preparing for the fucking Final 4 is ridiculous. He's not gonna be talking to team (if at all) until at least midweek next week. So calm down. See it thru. I'd personally like to see a hungry mid-major guy than some retread, personally. And thats exactly what Cooley, Donahue, Mooney, etc are. So I don't see the problem with what Gene is doing right now. I don't understand why people are pointing to the records of these guys are reasons why they are or aren't good candidates. Think of the resources they work with - look at things like recruiting prowess, improvement of the program since they arrived, etc. Pointing to the fact that Mooney hasn't gotten RICHMOND to the Final Four or Ed Cooley has yet to have a 30 win season at Fairfield.

I'd love us to get a Pearl, Stevens, Few, etc. But if we don't, that doesn't mean its Gene's fault. You have to find the motivation of a guy like that to come here. I'm having trouble finding it. I'd be very happy finding the next Jay Wright before he becomes Jay Wright, if you know what I mean. It doesn't have to be Bruce Pearl to get excitement around the program going again.

Anyways, thats my two cents here. Flame away.

Get used to it. The attitude of 90% of this board is that if Gene doesn't hire a big name, he's made a bad hire. That's just the way it is.

I certainly think that Gene should do everything in his power to try to hire someone with a proven track record and who appears capable of leading BC to higher levels of consistent achievement. Most will say that this means a "big name". The likelihood is that a resource plan has not been made to enable such a hire. In that case, Gene needs to demonstrate that he tried and get us someone who doesn't have the appearance of settling for several years of mediocrity. Let's face it, the new coach will be given carte blanche for a couple years or so.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:03 am

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

So, he himself never actually shows any signs of enthusiasm, but then he quietly passes it on to others? Interesting.

Be careful around him if you have not had your seasonal enthusiasm vaccine.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:05 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Look, we all want a big name coach. I'm just not sure Pearl is coming here. So suggest another name. Frank Martin ain't coming here either nor is Bobby Knight so forget those names.

So you are saying "we are what we are." BC will never get a big name coach so they shouldn't pursue one.

No I'm not. I'm saying you need to suggest some reasonable names. Pearl is one

I think people have named a number of coaches with more accomplished resumes... Lon Kruger, Steve Alford, Brian Gregory, Doug Wojcik, Jim Baron... there are other micro-majors to consider too... like Mike Rice. Finally, haven't put much thought in it yet, but there are guys out there who may be good coaches struggling in crap programs... John Pelfrey? And, if BC could ever get by the DUIs, isn't Billy Gillispie exactly the type of workaholic coach that GDF has publicly stated he wants.

One interesting note about my Tom Crean suggestion from yesterday (one I dismissed because he is making $2mm) is that Indiana might actually be receptive to Crean leaving? Why? Because he didn't immediately turn things around and then THEY could bring Indiana Superhero Brad Stevens to Bloomington.

Yeah... I am spit-balling. But, so is GDF. At least my ideas expand beyond Skinner-Lite and the Ivy League (Mooney is a Princeton grad).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:07 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Pookie84 {l Wrote}:

Be careful around him if you have not had your seasonal enthusiasm vaccine.

Apparently Al was vaccinated.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am

One interesting note about my Tom Crean suggestion from yesterday (one I dismissed because he is making $2mm) is that Indiana might actually be receptive to Crean leaving? Why? Because he didn't immediately turn things around and then THEY could bring Indiana Superhero Brad Stevens to Bloomington.

I thought about exactly this yesterday. It makes sense to at least explore it, as some kind of settlement would be amenable to all parties. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Indiana would agree to pay, say 500K a year for the rest of Crean's contract to have him move to BC and open a path for Stevens. The question is whether Crean would be willing to cut bait and admit defeat.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am

I think some of the problem here is that people keep spewing "track record track record" when thats a tough qualification. Most guys with "track records" are either entrenched in spots were not going to take them from, or they're of the Al Skinner mold where they are undesirable in spite of having a good looking resume on paper.

I also find it funny that names like Jim Baron (who I love btw...I have family ties to St. Bonaventure) and Brian Gregory are thrown out as preferable to Chris Mooney and Steve Donahue. That seems like the ultimate "grass is greener" complex - Baron and Gregory are better because they haven't been connected to Gene's search yet. You know what all those guys have in common? A lack of a "track record" as has been thrown about here.

Speaking of Bonaventure, though (and i know the JOB curse here), I'd bring Schmidt in for an interview. Talk about a lack of resources - that program was one of the worst in D1 with Anthony "Mike Brey's my hero" Soloman running it a few seasons ago. Not that .500 is anything great to write home about, but its a pretty impressive job by Schmidt in 2 years - not to mention he recruited a kid Andrew Nicholson in his first class who is a better big than we've had since Uka fucking Agbai. Probably not my first choice, but if he wowed in an interview, I'd give him a look. Not to mention, he's a BC grad (I think thats been covered already here, though).
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 am

As someone who has followed Marquette basketball closely, I wouldn't want Tom Crean---nor would he ever take it.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum