Are you excited about who had been interviewed?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Are you excited about who had been interviewed?

Postby thebs19 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:52 am

I was skeptical of Donahue coming into this. Know he's an X's and O's guys, but was worried that his system is basically built around making up for a lack of athleticism/strength vs. that of his opponents and thats a bit of a defeatist system at a school like BC, where he should have the same calibre athletes as the opponents. Also, recruiting worries me.

But, i just googled his name to find some video of him and I found one of him with Andy Katz. He discusses his season thus far (this was right after they got ranked) and discussed how he knew he had a good squad, so he went out and challenged them with the OOC schedule that would get them noticed on a national level so he wouldn't have to deal with underseeding that is a perpetual complaint of Ivy champs (and some would argue he got underseeded anyway). It seems like he gets it as far as responsibilities outside of a daily 2 hour practice to get your program where it needs to be. He was well spoken and sold me on that aspect. Still skeptical of his recruiting prowess, but I think his program building and his "talk" has me thinking this could be a very solid hire.

Here's to some decent OOC games if he gets the gig. I know NJIT will be devastated to be taken off our schedule, but I think there's room for improvement there.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:31 pm

I'm not particularly excited about the names on the list, but after some of my own skepticism, Donahue has won me over. I'd be fine with him as coach.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:35 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:Would not everyone feel a little better if Gene publicly eliminated Amaker right now?

Yes, Pookie. I would. I'd feel a lot better.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm not particularly excited about the names on the list, but after some of my own skepticism, Donahue has won me over. I'd be fine with him as coach.

Route 66 article for me made this posta ditto for me..

Donahue is the lead dog....can Coen catch him??

Either way, since no Chris Mack or Pearl...I am ok...

Good selection..both hard hard ass teamster type workers.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:02 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm fine if it is Donahue or Coen.

Why not mooney?
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I honestly think anyone who is "happy" with the hire of any of these publicly released interviews just wanted Al gone. NO ONE ever heard of Mooney or Donahue before this season. Hell... no one probably heard of any of them before March.

HJS, couple of questions.

Who would you be excited about BC interviewing? And be realistic, obviously a guy making $2 million somewhere else is not going to run over to BC. So my question is who?
Are you against Mooney getting the job?
Are you against Donahue getting the job?

Next, I think quite a few people had heard of Mooney. When he got the Air Force job at such a young age, there was talk about how he might be a real up and comer. He did a very good job down at Air Force. He got a lot of publicity for his efforts there. FWIW, I disagree that people had not heard of some of these folks. Who cares if the average fan has or has not heard of them? They have all heard of a lot of guys no one at BC would ever want.

I really do not know much about Donahue other than what is out there. Mooney has some real upside and seems to be a good find.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:20 pm

I've posted like eleventy billion times my thoughts on who we should go after and why.

If you want to say my dreams of Pearl, Kruger, Few, Alford, Stevens are all out of reach, fine. I would be happy with a search that included these names... with one getting the job: Brian Gregory, Doug Wojcik, Randy Bennett, Jim Baron, Chris Mooney, Steve Donohue and Mike Rice. I would also like for us to do some background checking on Billy Gillispie (who I know has baggage, but would fit GDF's definition for a new coach). The Cooley/Coen/Amaker thing is a complete non-starter for me. We would've been much better off just keeping Al.

Am I really that far out in the woods with my expectations of a competent AD?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:38 pm

HJS, if we end up with Coen, Cooley, or Amaker, I will reply to every f'ing one of your posts regarding GDF with "Amen." I will be crushed if we end up with one of those 3. Crushed. Literally my deeply routed BC soul will be in mourning.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:45 pm

I'm hearing that Brian Gregory is a good possibility and that Gene is going to talk to him after the NIT final. That is encouraging if true. He fits the Gene criteria to a tee.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:47 pm

Brian Gregory would be a very good (and not inexpensive) hire.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:51 pm

I obviously would prefer a Bruce Pearl but have no problem with Brian Gregory.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I've posted like eleventy billion times my thoughts on who we should go after and why.

If you want to say my dreams of Pearl, Kruger, Few, Alford, Stevens are all out of reach, fine. I would be happy with a search that included these names... with one getting the job: Brian Gregory, Doug Wojcik, Randy Bennett, Jim Baron, Chris Mooney, Steve Donohue and Mike Rice. I would also like for us to do some background checking on Billy Gillispie (who I know has baggage, but would fit GDF's definition for a new coach). The Cooley/Coen/Amaker thing is a complete non-starter for me. We would've been much better off just keeping Al.

Am I really that far out in the woods with my expectations of a competent AD?

"Eleventy billion"? That sounds like Obama new jobs math. :-)

All right, I like your reasonable list. Gillispie is probably a no go, stay away guy. But worth an inquiry. I would call Bennett, but he is probably not a play for a New England job and would be someone who would have to convince me has sincere interest in the job. I think Baron is a in case of emergency break glass hire. I really know very little about Rice or Robert Morris.

Gregory, Wojcik, Mooney, Donahue all strike me as ones that I would interview without having to know much. I would interview any former BC guy who wants a shot.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:56 pm

campion {l Wrote}:As I posted in the OJ is a pussy thread, Gregory has a better deal at UD than he would have at BC. I really like him, but would be surprised if he left Dayton.

gotta say I don't understand all the love for gregory around here - look at his record at UD - it's really not very impressive
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:17 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:As I posted in the OJ is a pussy thread, Gregory has a better deal at UD than he would have at BC. I really like him, but would be surprised if he left Dayton.

gotta say I don't understand all the love for gregory around here - look at his record at UD - it's really not very impressive

Gregory is a workaholic. He demands A LOT out of his assistants (demands that they have no life like him). He places an aggressive attacking offense and a pressure D. He is an Izzo disciple. He supposedly is a solid person. He also has done better recruiting at Dayton than we have at BC. He is a face-of-the-program type of coach. And, the Dayton fans love him (which is important in my mind after NCS didn't listen to us with TOB). I also believe that the A10 is a damn good conference and his continued success there says something to me.

As for campion, the rumor is that he will be in freaking DePaul next year (unless we come in and steal him).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:37 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I'd rather have Donahue than Gregory, but after checking out this Dayton gave for a bit I like his style. Why the hell would you go coach at DePaul? What a mess that is.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Pahreen on Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:06 am

Apparently, DePaul is willing to spend 2.5M on their next coach. Unless we match that, I doubt Gregory comes to BC.
Pahreen
n00b

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 am

This whole thing is the football search all over again. Globe today says Gene has no more candidates on his list. either he can actually keep his mouth shut or Bill Coen has stopped shaving his upper lip and is checking out the red overall section at Eastern Clothing of Watertown. :mario
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:26 am

Pahreen {l Wrote}:Apparently, DePaul is willing to spend 2.5M on their next coach. Unless we match that, I doubt Gregory comes to BC.

BC doesn't have the money to compete financially with a program like DePaul.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:31 am

That article also mentions them going for Skinner. What is clear is that the $2.5mm was available for the "right" coach like Dixon or Howland. Skinner, Theus and Gregory won't be offered a penny over $1.5mm.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

GDF last night when asked if he was getting close to making a hire: "closer.....but not close". in fact he repeated that a couple times..."closer, but not close yet". leads me to believe he's got a few more people to interview/on his radar, perhaps some who haven't been brought up yet..
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:02 am

DePaul would be a good fit for Al, but they are too stupid to hire him. Let's hope someone does hire Al though so that Gene can save a few bucks on the buyout and use the savings to improve the basketball facilities.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby auggiebc on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:06 am

ATL,
I'm too lazy to dig through all the threads. Who, at this minute, is your best guess at getting the job?
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:46 am

DePaul would be a good fit for Al, but they are too stupid to hire him. Let's hope someone does hire Al though so that Gene can save a few bucks on the buyout and use the savings to improve the basketball facilities.

It's highly unlikley that Al would agree to move to Chicago to coach a bottom-tier Big East team. Especially when he's getting paid $3 million to do nothing and wait for a job in the New England/New York area. He's not a midwest guy, and he's not someone who's going to take a job just to take a job.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:36 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:ATL,
I'm too lazy to dig through all the threads. Who, at this minute, is your best guess at getting the job?

Originally, I think he said Coen. But, after the interview, I believe he thought it would be Cooley and may happen pretty soon.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:18 pm

I've changed my mind a few different times on this but I think it will be a Skinner guy. Coen hasn't interviewed yet so I believe Cooley is the leader in the clubhouse. Donahue is still on the table. I think Mooney is done.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:27 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I've changed my mind a few different times on this but I think it will be a Skinner guy. Coen hasn't interviewed yet so I believe Cooley is the leader in the clubhouse. Donahue is still on the table. I think Mooney is done.

Donohue is the only good option of that shit show. Fuck this. Spaz redux.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:30 pm

It's amazing how much shit I take on this board for someone who has been so incredibly right about GDF.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Laughing.Jackal on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

And, you are surprised by this turn of events? GDF was never going to strike out and make a daring or exciting hire. He is all talk. I am really looking forward to the press conference next week when Cooley is announced as our head coach
Laughing.Jackal
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:34 pm

I never give you shit about this topic, HJS, and no, I am not surprised.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2008Eagle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I'm pretty much with you. I would go for Donahue or Mooney, but ATL thinks Mooney is done. I want some new faces on the BC bench, which eliminates the Skinner guys. That leaves Donahue. He's not perfect, but I'd take a chance on him.

I don't want a "safe" pick, but I don't think any of us will be surprised if that's what GDF does.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum