Are you excited about who had been interviewed?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Are you excited about who had been interviewed?

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:10 am

Seriously... I find it pretty underwhelming that Mooney, Coen, Cooley and Donahue are the only names we know have been interviewed. It flies in the face of the comments GDF has publicly made to conduct a wide search and hire the best coach regardless of price.

I mean... come on... how can you not at least kick the tires on Steve Alford, Lon Kruger, Brian Gregory, Doug Wojcik, Brad Stevens, Jim Baron and even Mike Rice. So far, this is PRECISELY the top of job search we have come to expect from GDF.

I know... some will say that there are others and that the search isn't over and GDF said he is taking his time. But, articles yesterday also said that in a couple of days he was going to trim his list... which seemed to suggest that this first round of allegedly 5 interviews was the entire list from which names will be cut... not expanded.

As we all feared, this ain't gonna be a great hire (again) by GDF. Of course, we will get those who hate minority head coaches ecstatic over the fact that we have someone with a pale complexion. They will argue patience and giving the guy a chance and that he did pretty good at his micro-major. But, thus far, what can be certain is that the hiring announcement next week will not immediately recharge the fans and will not prompt anyone to run out and buy tickets. Having little Stevie Donahues or Chris Mooneys holding meetings in dorm study lounges will only go so far.

As always... I remain disappointed in GDF. While his public comments inspired hope that maybe this search would be different, his actions have not come close providing the same excitement.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Are you excited about who had been interviewed?

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:12 am

It doesn't matter. Al was fired. People who hated Al are "vindicated."

Al Skinner was rock bottom bad. Any hire is a step up. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR THINGS TO GET WORSE.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:14 am

I'm fine if it is Donahue or Coen.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:16 am

I think one thing to keep in mind is that Gene does not want to be like SJU and make public overtures only to be rejected. It is possible, if not very likely, that bigger names have been reached out to through back channels and have not expressed an interest.

That said, I think Donahue or Mooney have some potential. They aren't flashy, but they both could be solid. I can't even comprehend how Coen or Cooley could be hired based on Gene's obvious desire to have someone who is nothing like Al
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:28 am

I honestly think anyone who is "happy" with the hire of any of these publicly released interviews just wanted Al gone. NO ONE ever heard of Mooney or Donahue before this season. Hell... no one probably heard of any of them before March.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 am

Here's an idea however far fetched it may be...what if DeFilippo is interviewing his backup guy right now? Say for example he trims these guys down to Donahue. He then makes a quiet attempt to get someone bigger and if that falls through, he will hire Donahue (or whomever he picks). This could be ideal for DeFilippo as there is not a lot of time that elapses and if rejected, Gene saves face because no one will know that he lost out on a bigger name.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:34 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I honestly think anyone who is "happy" with the hire of any of these publicly released interviews just wanted Al gone. NO ONE ever heard of Mooney or Donahue before this season. Hell... no one probably heard of any of them before March.

Wrong. People from Philly have know about Donahue for years. He did great work at Penn. I know that the national or Boston media never paid him much attention until recenttly, but there are alot of people down here who :bowdown the guy.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:38 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Here's an idea however far fetched it may be...what if DeFilippo is interviewing his backup guy right now? Say for example he trims these guys down to Donahue. He then makes a quiet attempt to get someone bigger and if that falls through, he will hire Donahue (or whomever he picks). This could be ideal for DeFilippo as there is not a lot of time that elapses and if rejected, Gene saves face because no one will know that he lost out on a bigger name.

Good theory. I hope it is true, but I doubt it. It would be kind of an asswipe way to treat the other interviewees.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:39 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:Here's an idea however far fetched it may be...what if DeFilippo is interviewing his backup guy right now? Say for example he trims these guys down to Donahue. He then makes a quiet attempt to get someone bigger and if that falls through, he will hire Donahue (or whomever he picks). This could be ideal for DeFilippo as there is not a lot of time that elapses and if rejected, Gene saves face because no one will know that he lost out on a bigger name.

Good theory. I hope it is true, but I doubt it. It would be kind of an asswipe way to treat the other interviewees.

I realize it's thin but it was just a thought. BTW, Gene is an asswipe.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby auggiebc on Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:58 am

I could eventually get excited about Donahue I think...eventually. But until Pearl comes out and says he's staying at Tenn, I won't be excited about anyone.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:10 am

Thing is we'll never know if this is true or not. If Gene gets rebuffed, you can be damn sure he keeps it private.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:11 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I mean... come on... how can you not at least kick the tires on ....Brad Stevens

I'm hoping Gene is not in a super big hurry. I don't know if you read the papers, but apparently Stevens is busy through the weekend.

It would be good if Gene could give Stevens a couple of days before making a decision. You know, kind of like he did with Addazio on the fooball side.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I mean... come on... how can you not at least kick the tires on ....Brad Stevens

I'm hoping Gene is not in a super big hurry. I don't know if you read the papers, but apparently Stevens is busy through the weekend.

It would be good if Gene could give Stevens a couple of days before making a decision. You know, kind of like he did with Addazio on the fooball side.

Stevens's team is largely intact next year. He has the luxury of waiting for a bigger program next year and probably doesn't feel the urgency. It's a bit risky, though, as he could end up never being as big a deal as he is right now.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 am

After pearl, I like mooney and Coen quite a bit and would consider both positive changes from skinner.

I'm not a big fan of Donahue and would hire both coen or mooney over cooley.

I don't think this is the end of the interview process however...and agree with HJS that there should be some more established candidates like Kruger.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby cameagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:19 am

True HJS, what you are saying about Donohue, but how many people really knew who Bruce Pearl was before he beat BC in the NCAA tournament? It seems like a very similar situation to me.
cameagle
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:28 am

Anyone want to do some research about who will likely be fired next season? A guy like Stevens, if he wants to move into the big time, realizes that timing is a huge part of it. On both sides too, his success and an opening that he would want. This goes for most coaches who are making a name for themselves, the windows and the opportunities may be minimal. This can weigh into their decision as much or even more than some other factors.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am

cameagle {l Wrote}:True HJS, what you are saying about Donohue, but how many people really knew who Bruce Pearl was before he beat BC in the NCAA tournament? It seems like a very similar situation to me.

Even then not a ton of people knew who he was.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:35 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

I heard on WEEI this morning that he is interviewing Coen next week so it does not sound like anything is coming before then.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:41 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:

I heard on WEEI this morning that he is interviewing Coen next week so it does not sound like anything is coming before then.

I believe I read he's going to the FF tomorrow to spread the word of Jesus there. This also would corroborate the idea that BC won't make a hire until next week.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:58 am

campion {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Seriously...

As we all feared, this ain't gonna be a great hire (again) by GDF. Of course, we will get those who hate minority head coaches ecstatic over the fact that we have someone with a pale complexion.

Isn't Cooley a Chinese guy?

b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:25 am

Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:33 am

talon
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:37 am

campion {l Wrote}:I guess its a generational thing... is it still a racist statement if your audience doesn't get the reference? Back in the day, a cooley was a cooley.

It's still racist and serves no purpose in these threads.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:41 am

Two answer the question posed, I have two words:

"No."
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:47 am

No one knew who your boyfriend Greg Schiano was before he got the job at Rutgers, but you still let him pound your vag in the Recruit-O-Copter.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Buttercup on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:57 am

I would be very happy with Mooney. Has recruited the ACC area, is young, energetic, different offense, and has not had any failures anywhere.
I would be reasonably happy with Donahue. I think he fits the profile of a guy who will sell the program... the question is can he recruit at this level?
I would wait and see on Cooley. I love the enthusiasm. He found great recruits at BC and has turned a doormat Fairfield program around pretty quickly.
I would not be very happy with Coen. Good eye for talent, but not the program leader we need.
I would obviously be angry about Amaker... though at least it would be fun to follow recruiting. Only the losing would suck.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby bcaddict on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:19 am

Buttercup {l Wrote}:I would be very happy with Mooney. Has recruited the ACC area, is young, energetic, different offense, and has not had any failures anywhere.
I would be reasonably happy with Donahue. I think he fits the profile of a guy who will sell the program... the question is can he recruit at this level?
I would wait and see on Cooley. I love the enthusiasm. He found great recruits at BC and has turned a doormat Fairfield program around pretty quickly.
I would not be very happy with Coen. Good eye for talent, but not the program leader we need.
I would obviously be angry about Amaker... though at least it would be fun to follow recruiting. Only the losing would suck.

Do you know which players Coen recruited as compared to Cooley? It' ain't close my friend.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:23 am

Would not everyone feel a little better if Gene publicly eliminated Amaker right now?
Pookie84
n00b

Postby thebs19 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:25 am

Coen seems like a guy whos best suited to be some superstar coach's right hand man in recruiting, and make more money as a top assistant and gain more notoriety than having a job as a NEU coach.

Maybe I totally read him wrong, but I don't think he has the personality to ever lead a big time program, so he can either stay as a HC in micro-major pergatory or join the big leagues as a specialized assistant.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:38 am

Skinner was horribly boring. Although true, that doesn't have a whole lot to do with why we lost. Skinner was one of the worst X's and O's coach I've seen during a basketball game and as Bob Ryan so eloquently stated, was pretty lazy apparently with recruiting, conditioning and practice. We don't need a cheerleader, and whoever we hire is going to be a step up on the enthusiasm from Al. I don't really give a damn how happy Ed Cooley is about life, I repeat again:

NO SKINNER ASSISTANTS.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum