New names for the coaching search

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New names for the coaching search

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 pm

I'm already board with Donahue, Mooney, Coen, Cooley, O'Shea, Duquette and Amaker (the only names mentioned for the search). Other than "We want Bruce Pearl but GDF/BC won't do what it takes" there isn't anything to really discuss.

So, I'm trying to figure out some names that aren't being discussed but could pop up on the radar. Not saying I am wholeheartedly endorcing these guys... just thinking of some names not previously mentioned.

For instance, Gene always mentions Izzo. He also mentions he wants someone who coaches a pressure D, can recruit, is familiar with BC's environment, can market the program. All those things would fit for Tom Crean... who Leahy may have some special insight to from his friends at Marquette. Now, Crean probably wouldn't leave Indiana (even though he has had 2 very difficult years) and he is making like $2.5mm per (if BC is gonna pay that much, why not pay it to Pearl). But, while we are in limbo, I think it is fun to think about these outside-of-the-box candidates.

I've previously given my wholehearted support of Lon Kruger (who has a base salary of only $1.2mm but with incentives that seem to reach to nearly $2mm).

Here's another one that is MUCH more realistic for BC... Steve Alford. He did OK at Iowa, but as Linklater can attest (and soon will McCaffrey), Iowa is a coach-killer job and has expectations that are insane in comparison with their overall shittiness. Alford has been incredibly successful at New Mexico. A Bobby Knight disciple... hard worker... a real presence on the scene... demands a lot out of players... believes in tough D and runs a specific system (a 3-2 Motion). He also is a decent recruiter who really goes to bat for his players (defending Pierce (who was ultimately convicted of sexual harassment or assault) damaged him at Iowa). Still young (in his mid 40s)... has 3 high school aged kids. Bobby Knight always seemed to respect what BC was (dating back to his days at Army). I can see him encouraging Alford to take the job. Only knock on him from a BC perspective is that he has no real tourney success (including being a 3 seed this year and flaming out pretty badly to UDub).

A mid-major name that hasn't popped up... Gregg Marshall. Was a superstar at Winthrop. Left to go to Wichita State and has really turned things around. I recall that he is known for pressure defenses. He is also familiar with ACC Country.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: New names for the coaching search

Postby Buttercup on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:07 pm

Name mentioned on EA is Matt Doherty. If you can dismiss his UNC debacle, he's done pretty well at ND and has been doing well to turn a terrible SMU program around.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Doherty is a mess. NFW. If we have some MCDs AAs that we want in the NIT, he's the guy (I assume Roy is unavailable).

Alford is interesting, but a shot in the dark. Lon Kruger ain't happening.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shredder on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:11 pm

Doug Wojcik at Tulsa. Former Tom Izzo assistant; has been doing pretty well at Tulsa.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:13 pm

Do you think we are better off with a guy who has been a head coach at a mid major and wants to make a jump to a major conference or a guy who has not been a head coach before but has a good rep as a major conference assistant?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:16 pm

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby hawaiirob on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm

Love Alford. But he flat loves the New Mexico gig. He could very well be a lifer there. Awesome fans, newly redone killer tradition packed facility in The Pit, no admissions standards, arguably a better gig than half of all Pac 10 jobs.

Brian Gregory needs a very solid look. Hard to do right now with his boys up vs UNC for the NIT.
hawaiirob
Carney Hall

Postby Buttercup on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:20 pm

Wojcik would be a homerun. People get hung up with only looking at coaches from smaller conferences if they've been in the NCAAs but that guy took a crappy Tulsa program and has had them right near the bubble the last few years. Was a favorite of Izzo too.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:21 pm

I mentioned Dougherty in one of the early threads last week (when everyone thought Skinner had the SJU job) and got the "he's batshit crazy" comments already.

Dana Altmann is an excellent name. But, he ain't leaving the area he was born, raised and lived all his life. Altmann is also the guy who took the Arkansas job only to leave it one day after the press conference. He also ain't young anymore.

As for whether we should hire a mid-major head coach or a top assistant... I have to ask... don't all top assistants worth a damn take over mid-major programs? I mean, who the hell would be a top assistant who would be worth a look to take over an ACC program?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I mentioned Dougherty in one of the early threads last week (when everyone thought Skinner had the SJU job) and got the "he's batshit crazy" comments already.

Dana Altmann is an excellent name. But, he ain't leaving the area he was born, raised and lived all his life. Altmann is also the guy who took the Arkansas job only to leave it one day after the press conference. He also ain't young anymore.

As for whether we should hire a mid-major head coach or a top assistant... I have to ask... don't all top assistants worth a damn take over mid-major programs? I mean, who the hell would be a top assistant who would be worth a look to take over an ACC program?

If I'm not mistaken, Altmann is tied to Omaha for family reasons. I think he has a child with special medical needs and doesn't want to uproot him from whatever he's receiving there which is why he backed out of the Arkansas job. In addition, Creighton has a nice basketball scene.

I agree on the major assistant vs. mid-major coach. I don't think the ACC is any place for a coach to earn his wings. The other thing, wouldn't a mid-major go for an assistant before a major school? That's why I'm against Wojo--there's a reason why he's still at Duke. Plus, assistant coaching is different from head coaching.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:41 pm

I wouldn't have a problem with Alford. I look at Doherty more as a re-tread, but it's possible that this is just because he seems emotionally unstable.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:46 pm

Thinking way outside the box: Jeff Van Gundy.

He's expressed an interest in returning to coaching, and has tremendous experience at both the college and pro level. Obviously he'd need some assistants who are tied in with the current AAU scene...but who wouldn't?
Pookie84
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:Thinking way outside the box: Jeff Van Gundy.

He's expressed an interest in returning to coaching, and has tremendous experience at both the college and pro level. Obviously he'd need some assistants who are tied in with the current AAU scene...but who wouldn't?

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I mentioned Dougherty in one of the early threads last week (when everyone thought Skinner had the SJU job) and got the "he's batshit crazy" comments already.

Most of the time I'd imagine that guys start with a mid major job, but not always. I think that may have more to do with the number of jobs available. There are only so many Big east, Pac10, ACC, Big 10 and Big 12 jobs and many of them have guys that hang around for a while.

Johnny Dawkins went from Coach K's bench right to the Pac 10. Frank Martin's 1st head job was KSU. If I'm not mistaken Frank Haith's 1st head job was Miami. PLEASE NOTE: for those who like to misrepresent things. I am not saying Frank Haith is a good coach or that I like Frank Haith. Just an example that guys do go directly from assitant coaching to major conference head coach.

I've mentioned Chris Collins before and I still say he's worth a look. I am not going to claim to be familiar with every assitant coach, but I've heard good things about Mark Montgomery from MSU and Scott Spinelli from A&M.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Mark Montgomery (Michigan St. Head Assistant) is an outside of the box thought.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

Via twitter: ESPN Insider lists Coen, Cooley, Donahue, Brad Stevens, Mike Rice, and Mooney as possible candidates

Stevens! We need Stevens!
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:07 pm

A former high school teammate of mine played for Doherty at ND. He claims that the most memorable game during that season was a nondescript win over some overmatched nobody in November, because it was the one and only game after which Doherty did not weep in the locker room. After every single other game, he would cry to the point that he could not speak for several minutes.

Also, one of the walk-ons supposedly had a running tally of equipment that Doherty broke in fits of rage during practices. Several players tried to get the captains to approach Doherty and find out if he was supposed to be on medication for bipolar disorder.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:11 pm

Wow, would Mike Rice ever be a bad choice. I don't see how BC can hire a guy who just got turned down by Seton Hall.

As to Chris Collins - I'm fairly certain he's waiting for Coach K to retire, as he is the heir apparent. I think if we're getting a Duke assistant, it's Wojo, for better or worse.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby BC '00 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Pookie, that would definitely be for worse.

How about Mike Hopkins, assistant at the Cuse? I saw him mentioned as having been contacted by a mid-major...he apparently is a hell of a recruiter and they think highly of him up on the tundra...
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:23 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Pookie, that would definitely be for worse.

How about Mike Hopkins, assistant at the Cuse? I saw him mentioned as having been contacted by a mid-major...he apparently is a hell of a recruiter and they think highly of him up on the tundra...

I thought he was already names to take over Cuse when Boeheim eventually retires?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC '00 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:26 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:Pookie, that would definitely be for worse.

I thought he was already names to take over Cuse when Boeheim eventually retires?

He's supposed to be the head coach in waiting, but the fact that he's apparently talking to someone else says that he might move for the right offer. Have to think he'd head to the Cuse when the position opens up. Just another outside the box candidate, however unlikely.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:28 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:Wow, would Mike Rice ever be a bad choice. I don't see how BC can hire a guy who just got turned down by Seton Hall.

As to Chris Collins - I'm fairly certain he's waiting for Coach K to retire, as he is the heir apparent. I think if we're getting a Duke assistant, it's Wojo, for better or worse.

I don't think Coach K is going anywhere soon and I'd say it's just as likely that Dawkins would come back and take over at Duke when the time comes.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:34 pm

The longer I think about this, the more I begin to think that GDF will hire Donohue after Pearl turns him down, and that the rest is all gravy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The longer I think about this, the more I begin to think that GDF will hire Donohue after Pearl turns him down, and that the rest is all gravy.

I could live with that. Of the main candidates mentioned I'm ok as long as he doesn't hire Coen or Cooley (or Amaker but that seemed to go without saying). GDF can't sit there and say he wants a coach who is basically the exact opposite of Al and then hire one of his assistants.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:37 pm

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that Duke would hire Dawkins considering how things are going for him at Stanford so far (two years, one 8th place finish, one 9th place finish). Maybe he turns it around, maybe not. But for now, the Duke heir apparent is Collins.

It would be beyond shocking if Collins left to take the BC job. It would be a great hire for Gene, but it isn't happening.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:I'd say it's pretty unlikely that Duke would hire Dawkins considering how things are going for him at Stanford so far (two years, one 8th place finish, one 9th place finish). Maybe he turns it around, maybe not. But for now, the Duke heir apparent is Collins.

It would be beyond shocking if Collins left to take the BC job. It would be a great hire for Gene, but it isn't happening.

Even if Collins is the heir, which I do not agree is for sure, it would not be unheard of for him to take a head job and then come back when Coach K leaves. I still think its likely Dawkins. I actually just found something from back when Dawkins got the Stanford job that the Standford AD said that K told him Dawkins was his likely successor:

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2008 ... -successo/

I also think its a little earlier to judge what Dawkins has done at Stanford. Two seasons means he barely has anyone he recruited on campus. He also has the 8th ranked recruting class in the country coming in this year. That said I do not think Collins is coming, but I think he is a guy worth talking to. I just want Gene to do a thorough search and not interview Coen, Cooley, Donahue and Mooney and then hire.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm

I would kind of be surprised if it doesn't end up being Donahue:

-Gene doesn't have any cover to hire Cooley or Coen after being so vocal about needing to change the style of the program.

-Mooney doesn't seem interested and is getting an extension and raise from Richmond.

-Amaker probably is in the mix, but there would be donor backlash and I'm imagining he's only an option after Donahue says no.

-Pearl is going to require way too much money, and is a compliance/admissions risk on top of that, which is going to make it very risky for Gene to push too hard for the cash to make the hire.

-Stevens is literally the hottest coach in America right now. He's not coming to BC.

All that being said, Donahue is not an exciting hire, and it's far from a sure thing that he can compete in the ACC. I don't see how he would pull Top 100 recruits with his background and contacts.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:56 pm

Pookie84 {l Wrote}:I would kind of be surprised if it doesn't end up being Donahue:

-Gene doesn't have any cover to hire Cooley or Coen after being so vocal about needing to change the style of the program.

-Mooney doesn't seem interested and is getting an extension and raise from Richmond.

-Amaker probably is in the mix, but there would be donor backlash and I'm imagining he's only an option after Donahue says no.

-Pearl is going to require way too much money, and is a compliance/admissions risk on top of that, which is going to make it very risky for Gene to push too hard for the cash to make the hire.

-Stevens is literally the hottest coach in America right now. He's not coming to BC.

All that being said, Donahue is not an exciting hire, and it's far from a sure thing that he can compete in the ACC. I don't see how he would pull Top 100 recruits with his background and contacts.

Donahue's recruiting couldn't humanly be worse than Skinner's stellar 2009 class.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Pookie84 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:58 pm

I don't think that BC's goal here should be to find a recruiter equal to or slightly better than Al Skinner.
Pookie84
n00b

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Pookie84 {l Wrote}:I would kind of be surprised if it doesn't end up being Donahue:

Donahue's recruiting couldn't humanly be worse than Skinner's stellar 2009 class.

Skinner could have had a worse 2009 class.....he could have brought in another Josh Southern.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum