Ryan article

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Ryan article

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:24 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I like how OJ didn't quote the part where Ryan calls Al a good and successful coach.

Or the title of the article for that matter.

Not defending OJ here but saying Al is a good and successful coach was in total contridiction to everything else in the column. Sounds to me like, if you put a house plant in Al's seat, as long as he had his loyal assistants, you'd get the same results he got.

It depends on how good the house plant is at coaching up and developing players.

From the way I read Ryan's article, Al didn't do much coaching at all, let alone coaching up. Sounds like Coen was doing all of the coaching, coaching up, recruiting and everything else.

I got it from this:

"Coen found these fallen-through-the-cracks guys (which every one of the above was; no McDonald’s All-Americans in this bunch) and Al certainly coached ’em up, which is something Eagles fans should not forget."

OJ wasn't smart enough to get it in the first place, let alone forget it.

Despite the fact that no one in the country other than Bill Coen recognized that they could play, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, *** ******* and Jared Dudley walked on campus as NBA first round draft picks.

no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach

Wow! How did every other school in the country not notice that potential?

i suggest you look at Craig Smiths and Troy Bells stats as freshmen vs Seniors. Dudley improved greatly from freshman to senior year...I don't give Skinner credit for that - Dudley was going to develop regardless. *** ******* was draftedbased on athletic ability, not his development as a player - and any development he did have was more due to Lucas than Skinner. Not to mention that all of these players were not recruited by Al, but by Coen.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:29 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}: no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach

Develop? No. Craig Smith averaged 20 ppg his freshman year. Troy Bell averaged 19. Jared Dudley averaged 12 and 6 rebounds. The only one there who really developed was *** *******.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:32 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}: no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach

Develop? No. Craig Smith averaged 20 ppg his freshman year. Troy Bell averaged 19. Jared Dudley averaged 12 and 6 rebounds. The only one there who really developed was *** *******.

that was the point
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:39 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

that was the point

You're talking about development. This is development:

:seanwilliams :

Freshman-- 4.1ppg
Sophomore-- 3.1 ppg
Junior-- 12.1ppg

Craig Smith did not "develop." He always was an NBA-caliber player.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:41 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
Craig Smith did not "develop." He always was an NBA-caliber player.

You are in good company with this retardedness. Craig Smith prepped a year because he was too fat to play D-1 ball, hooped PG with Jarret Jack and a host of other D-1 players, was already an NBA player, and yet no one else noticed him. Good call.

Oh, and Jared Dudley couldn't dribble and was a terrible perimeter shooter when he walked on campus. He played underneath, and his game was eerily similar to Rahi's except better. By his senior year, he was the best wing in the ACC and player of the year in the conference. Now he is one of the leaders in the NBA in 3 pt % and plays small forward for the Suns.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:42 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:He always was an NBA-caliber player.

It's crazy that no other college basketball coach knew that, isn't' it?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm talking about when he walked on campus freshman year. Craig Smith averaged 20 and 8. You do have a point with the Dudley thing though, I am wrong there and at the very least I can admit it.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:52 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'm talking about when he walked on campus freshman year. Craig Smith averaged 20 and 8. You do have a point with the Dudley thing though, I am wrong there and at the very least I can admit it.

Craig Smith was a much better player when he left than he was when he arrived. This is really indisputable. Saying his stats were the same doesn't tell me much - his last team had a lot more options and may have been the best team in BC history. His first team was he and Bell and 5 role players.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:55 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:the best players in Al's tenure (Smith, Bell, and Dudley) are examples of players that would have been great regardless of the coach...there was no coaching up involved. That article just reiterated how fucking little Al actually did.

This is classic King of Dicks. When Ryan "bashes" Skinner he is correct, however, when Ryan claims that Skinner "coached up" these players, he's full of shit. Which one is it OJ? Has Ryan written an accurate article or not?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:the best players in Al's tenure (Smith, Bell, and Dudley) are examples of players that would have been great regardless of the coach...there was no coaching up involved. That article just reiterated how fucking little Al actually did.

This is classic King of Dicks. When Ryan "bashes" Skinner he is correct, however, when Ryan claims that Skinner "coached up" these players, he's full of shit. Which one is it OJ? Has Ryan written an accurate article or not?

He's accurate about all of the opinions that OJ agrees with, but inaccurate about all of the opinions OJ disagrees with. Because OJ has the ability to measure the accuracy of opinions and you don't. Get over it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I'm talking about when he walked on campus freshman year. Craig Smith averaged 20 and 8. You do have a point with the Dudley thing though, I am wrong there and at the very least I can admit it.

Craig Smith was a much better player when he left than he was when he arrived. This is really indisputable.

This is the case with every player. I'm not saying he didn't get any better. I never mentioned his improvement from freshman to senior year. I'm just saying he was, at the very least, an NBA prospect his freshman year.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:03 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Craig Smith was a much better player when he left than he was when he arrived. This is really indisputable.

This is the case with every player. I'm not saying he didn't get any better. I never mentioned his improvement from freshman to senior year. I'm just saying he was, at the very least, an NBA prospect his freshman year.

Maybe after his freshman year. But that is disputable. My recollection is that there was some question as to whether he was an NBA prospect after his senior year, given his altitude deficiency.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Maybe after his freshman year. But that is disputable. My recollection is that there was some question as to whether he was an NBA prospect after his senior year, given his altitude deficiency.

Most players develop from freshman to senior year (except Sanders). The point is that Smith and bell were going to develop naturally and they didn't have far to go since thy both averaged 20 PPG their freshman years. Duudley developed through hard work. Giving credit to skinner is ridiculous. He let his assistants do everything except play for him in his pick up games. "Skinner coaching"is an oxymoron. Hell, he didn't even recruit them.
Last edited by Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:22 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I like how OJ didn't quote the part where Ryan calls Al a good and successful coach.

Or the title of the article for that matter.

Not defending OJ here but saying Al is a good and successful coach was in total contridiction to everything else in the column. Sounds to me like, if you put a house plant in Al's seat, as long as he had his loyal assistants, you'd get the same results he got.

It depends on how good the house plant is at coaching up and developing players.

From the way I read Ryan's article, Al didn't do much coaching at all, let alone coaching up. Sounds like Coen was doing all of the coaching, coaching up, recruiting and everything else.

I got it from this:

"Coen found these fallen-through-the-cracks guys (which every one of the above was; no McDonald’s All-Americans in this bunch) and Al certainly coached ’em up, which is something Eagles fans should not forget."

OJ wasn't smart enough to get it in the first place, let alone forget it.

Despite the fact that no one in the country other than Bill Coen recognized that they could play, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, *** ******* and Jared Dudley walked on campus as NBA first round draft picks.

no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach

Wow! How did every other school in the country not notice that potential?

i suggest you look at Craig Smiths and Troy Bells stats as freshmen vs Seniors. Dudley improved greatly from freshman to senior year...I don't give Skinner credit for that - Dudley was going to develop regardless. *** ******* was draftedbased on athletic ability, not his development as a player - and any development he did have was more due to Lucas than Skinner. Not to mention that all of these players were not recruited by Al, but by Coen.

You are so dumb it's a wonder you can operate a computer without electrocuting yourself. If all of those players were awesome as high school seniors then how come no one else recruited them? They were NBA caliber players at 17 but only BC thought they were worth the time?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:23 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Most players develop from freshman to senior year (except Sanders). The point is that Smith and bell were going to develop naturally. Duudley developed through hard work. Giving credit to skinner is ridiculous. He let his assistants do everything except play for him in his pick up games. "Skinner coaching"is an oxymoron. Hell, he didn't even recruit them.

Bob Ryan disagrees. You know, that guy you quoted and said was right about Al.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:25 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Most players develop from freshman to senior year (except Sanders). The point is that Smith and bell were going to develop naturally. Duudley developed through hard work. Giving credit to skinner is ridiculous. He let his assistants do everything except play for him in his pick up games. "Skinner coaching"is an oxymoron. Hell, he didn't even recruit them.

I quoted the part he was correct about douchebag/
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's convenient, fuckstick. I guess Bob didn't read your posts about how Coen somehow discovered a whole crop of NBA-caliber 17-year-olds that the rest of the nation was ignoring for some mysterious reason. What a great story.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:34 pm

OJ, can you admit you are wrong? Ever?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's convenient, fuckstick. I guess Bob didn't read your posts about how Coen somehow discovered a whole crop of NBA-caliber 17-year-olds that the rest of the nation was ignoring for some mysterious reason. What a great story.

Jesus, thank God Al turned two players who completely sucked their freshman years into nba talent.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

How convenient! You are a fucktard to the nth degree.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Jesus, thank God Al turned two players who completely sucked their freshman years into nba talent.

You are a miserable baby maker. The grave dancing is disgustiad. Were you complaining like a little bitch when BC was 20-0 back in 2005?
Last edited by Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:43 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:OJ, can you admit you are wrong? Ever?

Let's see here:

OJ declared Tuggle a bust before the season started and before he had played a single game at BC. I specifically asked him "So Tuggle is a bust?" and he responded "Pretty much".

When Tuggle was named the starter, OJ denied ever calling him a bust, even when we quoted that post in that same thread to bump it up.

Then after Shinskie took over as starter, OJ declared that he was "right about Tuggle", essentially admitting to having called him a bust and denying that he ever denied calling him a bust. (It gets really complicated here)

Then, someone here suggested that Dillon Quinn could be a bust because he was not on the 2-deep this spring. OJ came to his defense and said it's too soon to declare a redshirt freshman a bust before he has played a game.

People pointed out that he declared Tuggle a bust when he was a redshirt freshman. OJ said that was "different".
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:49 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Let's see here:

OJ declared Tuggle a bust before the season started and before he had played a single game at BC. I specifically asked him "So Tuggle is a bust?" and he responded "Pretty much".

When Tuggle was named the starter, OJ denied ever calling him a bust, even when we quoted that post in that same thread to bump it up.

Then after Shinskie took over as starter, OJ declared that he was "right about Tuggle", essentially admitting to having called him a bust and denying that he ever denied calling him a bust. (It gets really complicated here)

Then, someone here suggested that Dillon Quinn could be a bust because he was not on the 2-deep this spring. OJ came to his defense and said it's too soon to declare a redshirt freshman a bust before he has played a game.

People pointed out that he declared Tuggle a bust when he was a redshirt freshman. OJ said that was "different".

That would be really relevant if the 1st 3 statements had anything to do with me or any truth behind them.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:51 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Let's see here:

That would be really relevant if the 1st 3 statements had anything to do with me or any truth behind them.

yeah - DURRRRRRR weener-mobile... he's eagledom, not oj.

His guard's up, though. He knows better than to defend OJ1969 as if Eagledom and OJ1969 are the same person, even though they post from the exact same IP address.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:42 pm

OJ, I just want to know one thing: Al is gone, when the fuck are you done boning his corpse? Cum already.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Let's see here:

You lost me at "OJ1969 is Eagledom."
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:08 pm

You guys are so dumb. Our good basketball players were lucky recruits. The bad ones were due to poor recruiting. Get a clue.
:dildodog :dildodog :dildodog :dildodog :dildodog
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:36 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:OJ, I just want to know one thing: Al is gone, when the fuck are you done boning his corpse? Cum already.

This made me laugh.

Not as much as OJ proving my point that Ryan's opinions were only accurate when they agreed with OJ's opinions. The last few days have been priceless for OJ comedy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:24 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:You guys are so dumb. Our good basketball players were lucky recruits. The bad ones were due to poor recruiting. Get a clue.

Wrong. The goods ones were primarily due to assistants that went elsewhere...at which point we saw a huge drop in recruiting. Al didn't recruit.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:You guys are so dumb. Our good basketball players were lucky recruits. The bad ones were due to poor recruiting. Get a clue.

Al didn't recruit.

No shit?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum