Ryan article

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Ryan article

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:06 am

Seems that Bob Ryan has been reading my posts:

Al is Al is Al. I had to smile when I saw that St. John’s was interviewing Al. Doesn’t St. John’s understand that Al is the least-hard-working guy in show business, that in the world of Division 1 college basketball, there is absolutely no one like him? In a world of 24/7/365 basketball zealots, Al is Mr. Casual.

Al works Al hours, arriving around noon, playing some pickup ball, and going to a practice that, more than likely, had been planned by an assistant. Don’t they know how infrequently Al is seen on the recruiting trail during the offseason, when games are really won and lost? Don’t they know that if you hire Al, you must supply him with a first-class recruiting assistant, one who totally understands Al’s likes, dislikes, and peculiarities? Don’t they know, that, when it comes to offense, Al is, ahem, inflexible?

It worked because Bill Coen was able to find the players for Al, just as he had when he worked for him at Rhode Island. It was Bill Coen who provided Al with Cuttino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, and Tyrese Rice, among others
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: Ryan article

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:23 am

Eagledom {l Wrote}:Seems that Bob Ryan has been reading my posts:

Al is Al is Al. I had to smile when I saw that St. John’s was interviewing Al. Doesn’t St. John’s understand that Al is the least-hard-working guy in show business, that in the world of Division 1 college basketball, there is absolutely no one like him? In a world of 24/7/365 basketball zealots, Al is Mr. Casual.

Al works Al hours, arriving around noon, playing some pickup ball, and going to a practice that, more than likely, had been planned by an assistant. Don’t they know how infrequently Al is seen on the recruiting trail during the offseason, when games are really won and lost? Don’t they know that if you hire Al, you must supply him with a first-class recruiting assistant, one who totally understands Al’s likes, dislikes, and peculiarities? Don’t they know, that, when it comes to offense, Al is, ahem, inflexible?

It worked because Bill Coen was able to find the players for Al, just as he had when he worked for him at Rhode Island. It was Bill Coen who provided Al with Cuttino Mobley, Tyson Wheeler, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, Jared Dudley, Sean Marshall, and Tyrese Rice, among others

Seems like you'll never stop being the King of Dicks.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:35 am

who's posts was ryan reading when he listed all the good things Al has done?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:39 am

talon {l Wrote}:who's posts was ryan reading when he listed all the good things Al has done?

I gotta tell you I read that article and didn't see too many positives mentioned about Al. It seemed like he was attributing most of the success to Coen.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:41 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:who's posts was ryan reading when he listed all the good things Al has done?

I gotta tell you I read that article and didn't see too many positives mentioned about Al. It seemed like he was attributing most of the success to Coen.

That's the way a lot of us have felt around here for a while. Al's a good guy, I just don't want him as a Head Basketball Coach.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am

Just read the Ryan article. Sounds nothing like OJ's posts. Gives Al credit for "certainly coaching them up" after Coen found them, and credits Al, not Coen, with a laundry list that he refers to as the "Golden Age of BC Basketball".

Yup, that sounds like "bad coach".

Oh, yes, and he also points out the myth aspect of Al's failure in the tourney, noting the opponents, which none of you do.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, yes, and he also points out the myth aspect of Al's failure in the tourney, noting the opponents, which none of you do.

Those are excuses (and poor ones) not myths.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, yes, and he also points out the myth aspect of Al's failure in the tourney, noting the opponents, which none of you do.

Yeah! Fuck you Al for losing to teams that are better than yours! Damn excuses!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

With MAAC level talent, how could you possibly beat ANYONE in a power conference? Oh wait...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Now TW, let's not let the truth get in the way of bitching.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

With MAAC level talent, how could you possibly beat ANYONE in a power conference? Oh wait...

He never only once a couple of times said it was MAAC talent but that's not what he meant, he meant that they had mediocre talent with mediocre coaching that happened to be bad coaching with bad talent this year. Get it straight and stop misquoting OJ.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:35 pm

I like how OJ didn't quote the part where Ryan calls Al a good and successful coach.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I like how OJ didn't quote the part where Ryan calls Al a good and successful coach.

Or the title of the article for that matter.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:38 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

He never only once a couple of times said it was MAAC talent but that's not what he meant, he meant that they had mediocre talent with mediocre coaching that happened to be bad coaching with bad talent this year. Get it straight and stop misquoting OJ.

Stop settling for being mediocre you Ava Redge lover!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I like how OJ didn't quote the part where Ryan calls Al a good and successful coach.

Not defending OJ here but saying Al is a good and successful coach was in total contridiction to everything else in the column. Sounds to me like, if you put a house plant in Al's seat, as long as he had his loyal assistants, you'd get the same results he got.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not defending OJ here but saying Al is a good and successful coach was in total contridiction to everything else in the column. Sounds to me like, if you put a house plant in Al's seat, as long as he had his loyal assistants, you'd get the same results he got.

It depends on how good the house plant is at coaching up and developing players.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:58 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'm not sure the house plant would have been able to dress as sharp on the sideline.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:05 pm

"Run the Flex! Feeeeeed me, coach Flip!"

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:11 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:"Run the Flex! Feeeeeed me, coach Flip!"

On further reflection, I think the kind of hire I've illustrated above would make things very tense in Yawkey with the football staff.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:17 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

On further reflection, I think the kind of hire I've illustrated above would make things very tense in Yawkey with the football staff.

Double exalts. :spaz3
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:06 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

It depends on how good the house plant is at coaching up and developing players.

From the way I read Ryan's article, Al didn't do much coaching at all, let alone coaching up. Sounds like Coen was doing all of the coaching, coaching up, recruiting and everything else.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:07 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Double exalts. :spaz3

That is, spit my coffee on my computer funny.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:Seems that Bob Ryan has been reading my posts:

ED-

You were right and I did give you credit many times before many and defended you.

You think....

You think when I put LAZY AL on recruiting probation 4 years ago, and listed the Gonzaga and other catholic schools and the kids they were getting by name----and calling him Barcolounger the last 2 years----- and ALSLEEP this year, that the e-mails of my posts ----especially FIRE AL after the ACC Tourney---and some slid under GDF's door were not noticed?

You were on the Insiders when I was railing against ALSLEEP 3 years ago and more?....and this year. Most of the people here will never give you credit I gave ROUTE 66 if Donahue is the choice..That is life.

You can post 30 names, but Route 66 told you why Donahue was near the top....that is analysis.

I never thank lazy fucking people on the ....."Al thanks thread!

Fuck him...he stole money for 3 years and now 3 more!

Probably $8.5M with benefits and more!!

I have used two words in 7 years here with vigor...LAZY AND LOYALTY...

Al Skinner had neither..he lollygagged the last 4 years since he wanted more money, well fuck you Al for signing and stupid GDF for giving him more than 3 years .

As you can see today, anyone who fucks my BC over gets the fucking wrath of evil from me.

My ALSLEEP FACIAL POST IS SOMEWHERE HERE TODAY.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:42 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

From the way I read Ryan's article, Al didn't do much coaching at all, let alone coaching up. Sounds like Coen was doing all of the coaching, coaching up, recruiting and everything else.

I got it from this:

"Coen found these fallen-through-the-cracks guys (which every one of the above was; no McDonald’s All-Americans in this bunch) and Al certainly coached ’em up, which is something Eagles fans should not forget."
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm

the best players in Al's tenure (Smith, Bell, and Dudley) are examples of players that would have been great regardless of the coach...there was no coaching up involved. That article just reiterated how fucking little Al actually did.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:20 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's not what the article said. It said Coen found the right players for Al's coaching.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:23 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I got it from this:

"Coen found these fallen-through-the-cracks guys (which every one of the above was; no McDonald’s All-Americans in this bunch) and Al certainly coached ’em up, which is something Eagles fans should not forget."

OJ wasn't smart enough to get it in the first place, let alone forget it.

Despite the fact that no one in the country other than Bill Coen recognized that they could play, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, *** ******* and Jared Dudley walked on campus as NBA first round draft picks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Snooptonydog on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Snoopdog in dah house. What did I miss besides Al getting fired?

I liked Handsome Al because he shopped at Eastern Clothing of Watertown.

I myself like to get my $1000 Italian suits in East Providence at a place called Frank's Tailor Shop.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I got it from this:

Despite the fact that no one in the country other than Bill Coen recognized that they could play, Troy Bell, Craig Smith, *** ******* and Jared Dudley walked on campus as NBA first round draft picks.

no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I got it from this:

no. They walked onto campus as players that were going to develop into 1st round draft picks regardless of the coach

Wow! How did every other school in the country not notice that potential?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum