Wed Morning Media

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Wed Morning Media

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:28 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:OK, according to these articles, Al rolled in at noon, played basketball, maybe showed up at practice that was setup/run by the assistant, his top players were recruited by his assistants and he dressed nice and showed up at games.

They make him sound like a complete goof ball who won games in spite of himself but then say he was a good coach and his only flaw is his inflexibility.

The bottom line, that I've heard over and over, is we need a coach who can sell this program to recruits, the media, etc.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:29 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:OK, according to these articles, Al rolled in at noon, played basketball, maybe showed up at practice that was setup/run by the assistant, his top players were recruited by his assistants and he dressed nice and showed up at games.

They make him sound like a complete goof ball who won games in spite of himself but then say he was a good coach and his only flaw is his inflexibility.

He had a good system, that worked when he had the right players.

For all the dissing of the tight flex that goes on here, that really wasn't the problem - the problem in the last few years was that we didn't have the players to run it. When we had Dudley and co., the tight flex worked pretty well, and was actually fun to watch (at least for me). We still weren't very good defensively, though.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:33 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

For all the dissing of the tight flex that goes on here, that really wasn't the problem - the problem in the last few years was that we didn't have the players to run it. When we had Dudley and co., the tight flex worked pretty well, and was actually fun to watch (at least for me). We still weren't very good defensively, though.

I think that was the main complaint. I'm not a fan of the flex in general, but you can't complain when it works. The main issue I've bitched about and seen people bitch about is that he refused to stop running it even when he didn't have the right personnel.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 am

Ya think???

94 you always like to give me shots and now I know why...YOU ARE A FUCKING GENIUS!!

Wow this is very shocking to 74 over the past 3 or 4 years.

I never knew that? Wow!!!!

You mean since I posted ALSLEEP was sitting in his barcolounger and not recruiting or coaching and had retired on the job back in 2007-2008, that it was true??

WOW....all those many 74 recruiting posts and comments and in game ETCH-A-TURNOVER stuff was true??

Like I said, FUCK AL SKINNER AND HIS GOODBYE THREAD. HE IS A QUITTER and LIAR LIKE OBAMINATION!

You signed the $1M deal, you work your fucking ass and balls off for my alma mater you lazy fuck!

You lived off the sweat of Bill Coen's hard work and recruiting, you never got to one Final 4 in 13 years, you lollygagged and fucked BC and my alma mater since you think your long unproductive tenure deserved more money for the last 3-4 years and now you got your golden and maroon parachute so get your diversity affirmative action loser ass the fuck back to UMASSHOLES AND......... :74!

BYE BYE ALSLEEP! :74

ENJOY!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:

I think that was the main complaint. I'm not a fan of the flex in general, but you can't complain when it works. The main issue I've bitched about and seen people bitch about is that he refused to stop running it even when he didn't have the right personnel.

I didn't really worry about the flex so much. My issue was with the mediocre defense, even during the Smith/Dudley years. Good defense centers on effort. Yet if the players see the coach doesn't show up until noon and doesn't put in the effort, then why should they? The coach has to model what he wants, which is for everyone to lay it on the line so the team succeeds.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:54 am

I've now listened to the Press Conference and the WEEI interview from this morning.

It seems like he is not going to hire a big name. He would prefer to land an up-and-comer who would make BC his home. By the shear mention of Brad Stevens and Mark Few, I take it that neither are a candidate.

Gene keeps mentioning things like hard work and aggressive D and diving for loose balls and taking charges and relating to students. I unfortunately cannot stop thinking that he has already decided to hire Coach Wojo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I've now listened to the Press Conference and the WEEI interview from this morning.

It seems like he is not going to hire a big name. He would prefer to land an up-and-comer who would make BC his home. By the shear mention of Brad Stevens and Mark Few, I take it that neither are a candidate.

Gene keeps mentioning things like hard work and aggressive D and diving for loose balls and taking charges and relating to students. I unfortunately cannot stop thinking that he has already decided to hire Coach Wojo.

Look what the cat dragged in. Welcome back, but not really.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:11 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I've now listened to the Press Conference and the WEEI interview from this morning.

Huh? Are you saying you missed me since I haven't posted since... 11:15 last night???? My goodness. I should probably advise that I have a 2pm meeting and will probably grab lunch immediately before or after... so, I may be offline for a little over an hour during the early afternoon.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby totheights on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Huh? Are you saying you missed me since I haven't posted since... 11:15 last night???? My goodness. I should probably advise that I have a 2pm meeting and will probably grab lunch immediately before or after... so, I may be offline for a little over an hour during the early afternoon.

What is on the agenda?
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 am

totheights {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is on the agenda?

2:00 pm : Gene sucks
2:15 pm : Gene shouldn't have hired Spaz blah blah blah
2:30 pm : Gene's going to hire a mid-major thus he sucks as an AD blah blah blah

The usual HJS agenda.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:41 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
totheights {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is on the agenda?

2:30 pm : Gene's going to hire a mid-major thus he sucks as an AD blah blah blah

The usual HJS agenda.

Come on, you can't deny that Gene isn't a half-assed AD. He sucks balls.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:46 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
totheights {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is on the agenda?

The usual HJS agenda.

O I hate GDF don't get me wrong. But HJS adds nothing and in fact takes away from this board, you can't deny that either.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
totheights {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

What is on the agenda?

The usual HJS agenda.

O I hate GDF don't get me wrong. But HJS adds nothing and in fact takes away from this board, you can't deny that either.

I can deny it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:58 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
I hate GDF don't get me wrong. But HJS adds nothing and in fact takes away from this board, you can't deny that either.

Yes he does..he cuts and pastes my predictions and posts like many others...

Hey did you hear Bill Coen may be the one...wow....

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:09 am

EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

Reading between the lines (albeit optimistically) of Gene's comments regarding Pearl not being a current candidate, is he just covering for Pearl while the Bruce takes some time to think about whether he rather live in Knoxville or Boston? Pearl certainly hasn't made any public statement that he's not interested or a candidate.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Reading between the lines (albeit optimistically) of Gene's comments regarding Pearl not being a current candidate, is he just covering for Pearl while the Bruce takes some time to think about whether he rather live in Knoxville or Boston? Pearl certainly hasn't made any public statement that he's not interested or a candidate.

I haven't seen him mentioned as a candidate in any national (or even prominent local) medium. That could also explain his silence. He may not feel he needs to make any statement disavowing interest.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:17 am

ALL HAIL ROUTE 66:

74 was wrong about Donahue. I thought he just has a great class for 2 years?

Thanks for that great article.

Now I now would hire him ahead of the other 4 low levelers : Coen, Mooney, Cooley, Amaker and whomever.

BUT!!!:

My top 5 are now, still no changes from Sunday on Chris Mack and Stevens:

1--MACK
2--STEVENS
3--PEARL
4--DONAHUE
5--COEN

I want to live and hiring Bob Knight would be too much on my geriatric --I was told --- heart.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:53 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:GDF coming up on Dennis and Callahan later this morning on WEEI. Listen live at weei.com

Also, Bob Ryan Column from Globe this morning on Skinner:
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/m ... leges-wire

BC played Pacific not Nevada in 2006 at the NCAA tournament. Leave it to the Globe and their sloppy research.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:04 pm

Hate to say it, but if there hasn't been any Pearl to BC buzz in media yet, then it probably isn't happening.

If BC really did put a feeler out to him and there still hasn't been anything official set up, then he most likely said no. Even if Pearl and BC wanted to keep it quiet, it would be impossible to do so if BC asked TN for official permission. The media would have gotten a hold of that without too much trouble.

At this point, I think the longer we go without hearing anything, the less likely this is.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:13 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:Hate to say it, but if there hasn't been any Pearl to BC buzz in media yet, then it probably isn't happening.

If BC really did put a feeler out to him and there still hasn't been anything official set up, then he most likely said no. Even if Pearl and BC wanted to keep it quiet, it would be impossible to do so if BC asked TN for official permission. The media would have gotten a hold of that without too much trouble.

At this point, I think the longer we go without hearing anything, the less likely this is.

I think the exact opposite. If there is even a whisper, and Pearl doesn't want it, he will make a statement to that effect, just like everyone else.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:13 pm

auggiebc {l Wrote}:Hate to say it, but if there hasn't been any Pearl to BC buzz in media yet, then it probably isn't happening.

If we know ANYTHING about GDF, it is that he doesn't keak stuff to the media. Since he has pretty much carte blanche control over the Athletic Department, he also doesn't have to keep going back to the President, Board or boosters to garner input (which are all potential leaks). Basically, the only names that ever get linked to the media will come from the coaches (i.e. their agents) themselves. That is why I posted that you can throw out Mark Few and Brad Stevens as candidates because GDF mentioned them unsolicited.

Further, Bruce Pearl is not gonna be a part of a dog-and-pony show. He will either be hired with a BANG or he'll quietly receive an extension from Tennessee. You will not see some drawn-out process where the media following his every move from interview, to offer, to Tenn counter-offer, to reflection and deliberation. It serves no one any good. Not saying it will or won't be Pearl. Just saying that the Boston Media would be the last one to know.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:14 pm

That's why I retain a small (very small) glimmer of hope every day that goes by and we don't get a seemingly unsolicited Schiano-like statement from Pearl.

I still don't think we'll get him.
Last edited by b0mberMan on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I think the exact opposite. If there is even a whisper, and Pearl doesn't want it, he will make a statement to that effect, just like everyone else.

I agree. If Pearl had no interest at all he'd likely come out and make a statement about how much he loves TN and that he's not going anywhere. I think if BC is sending a feeler they will want to make sure he is truly interested and they can get close on money before anything official comes out or permission is requested.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:36 pm

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree. If Pearl had no interest at all he'd likely come out and make a statement about how much he loves TN and that he's not going anywhere. I think if BC is sending a feeler they will want to make sure he is truly interested and they can get close on money before anything official comes out or permission is requested.

I agree as well. Additionally, keeping it quiet on TN's end makes sense as well because they don't want shit to blow up in their faces like when Kiffin left.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 pm

I mean if Pearl is actually a real candidate, I would guess the only people who will know besides Gene are his development folks (and the people they contact).

Have to think that BC will have to match the 7 yr 21MM deal memphis offered him last year....
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Is the Athletic Department really going to front 20+ million dollars for Bruce Pearl? I highly, highly doubt that's the case. I think people are right, the less you hear about Bruce Pearl the better. If GDF is serious about Stevens, then we're not going to get a result before the middle of the next week because he's not going to interview the Butler coach right before they play in the Final Four.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

If GDF reached out to UT then I believe someone there (in the UT Athletic Dept) would leak it out. They'd want to make it as uncomfortable as possible for him to leave and would want to make sure the 'necks had time to burn down his house en route to a sure lynching.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:If GDF reached out to UT then I believe someone there (in the UT Athletic Dept) would leak it out. They'd want to make it as uncomfortable as possible for him to leave and would want to make sure the 'necks had time to burn down his house en route to a sure lynching.

Not true at all. There's no incentive for Tennessee to leak the rumor because they want to keep him as their coach. If you leak the rumor, then Pearl doesn't want to come here, it just gets uncomfortable for everyone down at UT. It's in everyone's best interest to keep it as quiet as possible. Again, I don't think Pearl will be contacted until after this weekend if GDF wants to bring Stevens in for an interview. Their in that magical place called the Final Four.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:If GDF reached out to UT then I believe someone there (in the UT Athletic Dept) would leak it out. They'd want to make it as uncomfortable as possible for him to leave and would want to make sure the 'necks had time to burn down his house en route to a sure lynching.

Not true at all. There's no incentive for Tennessee to leak the rumor because they want to keep him as their coach. If you leak the rumor, then Pearl doesn't want to come here, it just gets uncomfortable for everyone down at UT. It's in everyone's best interest to keep it as quiet as possible. Again, I don't think Pearl will be contacted until after this weekend if GDF wants to bring Stevens in for an interview. Their in that magical place called the Final Four.

Did you see Stevens on PTI last night? He basically said he is not going anywhere.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum