The Players

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The Players

Postby CrownRoyal on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:06 am

What do you think will happen to the players? Who will stay and who will go? Kevin Noreen will supposedly withdraw his letter of intent on Monday. I believe Heslip is doing the same.
CrownRoyal
n00b

Re: The Players

Postby NJM89 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 am

Heslip is already enrolled and where did you hear about Noreen
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby CrownRoyal on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:22 am

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Heslip is already enrolled and where did you hear about Noreen

Yes, Heslip is enrolled. What I meant to say was that, pending the outcome of GDF's hire, he may not follow through and play for BC. We'll probably have to wait until next week to see.
CrownRoyal
n00b

Postby CrownRoyal on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:24 am

I won't name any inside sources, but you can read more about Kevin here:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps ... anchO7DiUr
CrownRoyal
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:31 am

That says Noreen is waiting to see who they hire.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:18 am

Thanks for giving me a heart attack.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby auggiebc on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:36 am

judging by how the players performed for Al this past season, and how they looked during games (lost and miserable) one would think they'd be partying in the streets with this news.
auggiebc
Campion Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:32 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:judging by how the players performed for Al this past season, and how they looked during games (lost and miserable) one would think they'd be partying in the streets with this news.

:seanwilliams
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am

auggiebc {l Wrote}:judging by how the players performed for Al this past season, and how they looked during games (lost and miserable) one would think they'd be partying in the streets with this news.

Of the players on the team this year I wouldn't be too concerned about any of them. Raji, Sanders, Southern and Paris aren't going anywhere because no one is going to take a senior transfer (and in Southern's case no one other than a DII school would want him to transfer.)

Jackson is honestly the only player on the current roster that I'd really be bothered if he left. I like Elmore and think he could be a useful role player, but overall would anyone other than Jackson leaving be cause for major concern?

I hope the incoming freshman don't pull out, mainly becuase its a little late to get anyone worthwhile and that would be two straight years without a freshman class. I honestly can't imagine a guy not coming because Al is gone, unless they were really looking forward to the flex. I recall some discussion a few years ago on changing the rules for guys who signed LOIs and then the coach is fired. Would they need to sit out a year under transfer rules?
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:47 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:

Of the players on the team this year I wouldn't be too concerned about any of them. Raji, Sanders, Southern and Paris aren't going anywhere because no one is going to take a senior transfer (and in Southern's case no one other than a DII school would want him to transfer.)

Jackson is honestly the only player on the current roster that I'd really be bothered if he left. I like Elmore and think he could be a useful role player, but overall would anyone other than Jackson leaving be cause for major concern?

I hope the incoming freshman don't pull out, mainly becuase its a little late to get anyone worthwhile and that would be two straight years without a freshman class. I honestly can't imagine a guy not coming because Al is gone, unless they were really looking forward to the flex. I recall some discussion a few years ago on changing the rules for guys who signed LOIs and then the coach is fired. Would they need to sit out a year under transfer rules?

I guarantee you if we get Bruce Pearl he'll have no problem finding a couple guys to come in here for 2010 recruiting wise. Assuming we get a mid-major coach, it's throwing darts as far as who stays/who goes. I certainly wouldn't want to play for Skinner so I don't think you're going to see a ton of transfers. Any offense has to be better than that stupid tight flex.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 am

My inside sources tell me 3 things.

1--Most were glad to see ALSLEEP go, the team lacked discipline, character, leadership and there was infighting with the weed heads.

2--The Rastafarian Bong Smokers were so stoned from the new shipment from the Pagoda Pharmacy and the new team Doctor and Acupunturist Seng Woolangiams in China, and have yet to comprehend and understand the news since they do not go to class.

3--Sanders was eating his 3rd cheessteak and then walking out he missed the trash bin.

We graduate players. We have high academic standards.

We at BC are FULL OF SHIT.

74: Well so does Duke and 10 other schools and many others.

ENJOY!
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:21 am

How do you "withdraw" an LOI?
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 am

My understanding is that once you sign an LOI, you are stuck - you either play where you committed or you lose a year of eligibility. I'm not aware of any way to "withdraw" one.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:25 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:My understanding is that once you sign an LOI, you are stuck - you either play where you committed or you lose a two years of eligibility. I'm not aware of any way to "withdraw" one.

This is my understanding.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:17 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:My understanding is that once you sign an LOI, you are stuck - you either play where you committed or you lose a two years of eligibility. I'm not aware of any way to "withdraw" one.

This is my understanding.

I thought technically they could get out of the LOI without penalty if BC was willing to release them from it.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:21 am

If you sign a LOI and they change coaches before you attend classes you are usually released.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:22 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:If you sign a LOI and they change coaches before you attend classes you are usually released.

If this is true, it's all the more reason to make a home-run hire like Pearl who can keep everyone. I would hate to lose Noreen at this point.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby shockdoct on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:24 am

A school needs to release you from your LOI. To prevent torching bridges with coaches, usually the schools do in circumstances like these.

Heslip is stuck though due to his early enrollment. Upon transferring, he would have to sit out 1st semester of next year and be eligible in Jan '11.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:26 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:How do you "withdraw" an LOI?

A Reverse :74
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:A school needs to release you from your LOI. To prevent torching bridges with coaches, usually the schools do in circumstances like these.

Heslip is stuck though due to his early enrollment. Upon transferring, he would have to sit out 1st semester of next year and be eligible in Jan '11.

Beautiful, just f@#%ing beautiful! Without a top hire, Gene will not only will lock us in to several more years of mediocrity, but will dig a big hole for next year.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby Art Vandelay on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:39 am

EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:A school needs to release you from your LOI. To prevent torching bridges with coaches, usually the schools do in circumstances like these.

Beautiful, just f@#%ing beautiful! Without a top hire, Gene will not only will lock us in to several more years of mediocrity, but will dig a big hole for next year.

I wouldn't overreact on this yet. As mentioned Heslip is stuck unless he wants to sit and it sounds like that kid wants to play. Ndao is a project to begin with so no huge loss since he was not likely to contribute next year anyway. So all we are really talking about is Noreen. I hope he ends up staying but one guy none of us has ever seen play not coming is not going to make or break the season. Next year expectations can't be too high anyway since we are basically bringing back the same team and we'll have a new coach with a new system.
Art Vandelay
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleManiac66 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

Art Vandelay {l Wrote}:
EagleManiac66 {l Wrote}:

I wouldn't overreact on this yet. As mentioned Heslip is stuck unless he wants to sit and it sounds like that kid wants to play. Ndao is a project to begin with so no huge loss since he was not likely to contribute next year anyway. So all we are really talking about is Noreen. I hope he ends up staying but one guy none of us has ever seen play not coming is not going to make or break the season. Next year expectations can't be too high anyway since we are basically bringing back the same team and we'll have a new coach with a new system.

Ok Art. I start bandaging my wrists. Thanks.
EagleManiac66
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 am

I would agree with you, except knowing our players they would celebrate for about 4 minutes before getting bored and returning to the BC Movie Channel/XBox.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:30 am

Unplug the fax machine?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Unplug the fax machine?

Exalt!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:45 am

If Josh Southern and Biko Paris will transfer this move will be a success no matter who we hire.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm

BC signed three players in November who are set to join the program next season: point guard Brady Heslip (who is enrolled at BC and red-shirted this season), power forward Kevin Noreen and power forward Papa Samba Ndao. Noreen’s high school coach told the Minnesota Star Tribune that Noreen is watching the situation and is waiting to comment until after Skinner’s replacement is named.

Next season’s junior class includes combo guard Reggie Jackson, shooting guard Dallas Elmore and power forward Evan Ravenel. Of that group, Jackson would be the biggest loss. He averaged 12.9 points, 5.7 rebounds and 4.5 assists last season and has shown signs of becoming a big-time player during his first two seasons.

Jackson never seemed a good fit for Skinner’s rigid flex offense. A new coach with an uptempo style would be better-suited for Jackson, but it’s also possible that he could transfer for a fresh start.

The above is a good point. Jackson never fit in the flex, and might be even better under a new coach, so I'm not totally sure why he'd transfer.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Conte Forum