Thanks Al Skinner

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Thanks Al Skinner

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Heights {l Wrote}:I think all BC fans should at least never forget his refusal to discuss or use as an excuse the past when he took over and in the subsequent early bad seasons. In stark contrast to TOB who never tired of self-servingly bringing up the mess he inherited right up until he left. No comparison in my book, Al had far more guts and class.

Al's X10 the person that TOB will ever be. Although true, their coaching careers have a fairly good parallel.

Other than the fact that it is much harder to win big in hoop, the fact that you can miss more recruiting in football, and the fact that there are more than 0 conference championship banners hanging in Conte because of Al, yes.

In some ways it is harder to win big in hoop. Sure there are many more teams in bball, but it's much easier for small schools to compete with the big ones. Butler is in the FInal Four. Duke has been the most dominant ACC program over the last 30 years or so. It would be almost impossible for Duke to pull that off in football. In basketball, get a good coach, two or three good players and your basketball team can compete with anybody.

Yes, everybody can compete, that's what makes it harder to win big. BC has competed. That's not good enough for OJ. I said "win big". It was easy for Jags to walk in and immediately take them to back to back conference championship games and a top 10 ranking. It won't be easy to walk into BC hoop and take BC to back to back ACC championships.

Plus, would anyone attempt to compare BE and ACC football over the past 14 years to BE and ACC basketball? It is just easier to win 8-9 games and go to a mediocre bowl than it is to win 20-25 games and go to the second or third round of the dance.

of course it is...bc wins 8-9 games and goes to a bowl every. year. Al has gone to the 3rd round ONCE. your comparison is stupid.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:52 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Heights {l Wrote}:I think all BC fans should at least never forget his refusal to discuss or use as an excuse the past when he took over and in the subsequent early bad seasons. In stark contrast to TOB who never tired of self-servingly bringing up the mess he inherited right up until he left. No comparison in my book, Al had far more guts and class.

Al's X10 the person that TOB will ever be. Although true, their coaching careers have a fairly good parallel.

Other than the fact that it is much harder to win big in hoop, the fact that you can miss more recruiting in football, and the fact that there are more than 0 conference championship banners hanging in Conte because of Al, yes.

In some ways it is harder to win big in hoop. Sure there are many more teams in bball, but it's much easier for small schools to compete with the big ones. Butler is in the FInal Four. Duke has been the most dominant ACC program over the last 30 years or so. It would be almost impossible for Duke to pull that off in football. In basketball, get a good coach, two or three good players and your basketball team can compete with anybody.

Yes, everybody can compete, that's what makes it harder to win big. BC has competed. That's not good enough for OJ. I said "win big". It was easy for Jags to walk in and immediately take them to back to back conference championship games and a top 10 ranking. It won't be easy to walk into BC hoop and take BC to back to back ACC championships.

Plus, would anyone attempt to compare BE and ACC football over the past 14 years to BE and ACC basketball? It is just easier to win 8-9 games and go to a mediocre bowl than it is to win 20-25 games and go to the second or third round of the dance.

of course it is...bc wins 8-9 games and goes to a bowl every. year. Al has NEVER been to the 3rd round. your comparison is stupid.

TOB went to bowls his first two years?

And Al never made the 3rd round of the tourney?

And yes, the comparison is fucking stupid. That's the point.

Good work OJ.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Jags inherited a team that went 5-3 in the ACC and 10-3 overall. The next BC coach is inheriting a team that went 15-16 (6-10 in the ACC) and lost to Harvard, Maine, URI, St. Joes, etc.

BC will always face an uphill battle in football against factories like Clemson, FSU, VT and other big state schools. Sure they can compete, but those schools have a big advantage. It's much easier to compete against those schools in bball.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:53 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:Al has NEVER been to the 3rd round.

quoted before deletion.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

of course it is...bc wins 8-9 games and goes to a bowl every. year. Al has gone to the 3rd round ONCE. your comparison is stupid.

That's his point, genius.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:55 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

no, he expects less in basketball...that is his point, and its stupid. B ut thats why he was happy with al....so whatever.
Last edited by Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:56 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Jags inherited a team that went 5-3 in the ACC and 10-3 overall. The next BC coach is inheriting a team that went 15-16 (6-10 in the ACC) and lost to Harvard, Maine, URI, St. Joes, etc.

BC will always face an uphill battle in football against factories like Clemson, FSU, VT and other big state schools. Sure they can compete, but those schools have a big advantage. It's much easier to compete against those schools in bball.

I see no point in whether they are large state schools. It is much easier to compete in football against Duke and UNC.

ACC hoop is significantly better, deeper and more equal than ACC football. It is the same in almost every conference. It is much harder to win the ACC in hoop. TOB's performance doesn't really compare to Al's, which is the point - an inanimate object could win 8 games at BC - in fact, one did for 7-8 years in a row.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I see no point in whether they are large state schools. It is much easier to compete in football against Duke and UNC.

ACC hoop is significantly better, deeper and more equal than ACC football. It is the same in almost every conference. It is much harder to win the ACC in hoop. TOB's performance doesn't really compare to Al's, which is the point - an inanimate object could win 8 games at BC - in fact, one did for 7-8 years in a row.

You really don't see how big southern state schools with huge stadiums and tremendous facilities can more easily attract talented players to fill an 85-man roster? 85. Not 13. BC could have the best football coach in the world and it would still not be able to pull a majority of recruits away from SEC powerhouses. Get Bruce Pearl to BC and I think BC can recruit with the best of them after one or two years (assuming sellouts). Also, BC has not defeated UNC in ACC football. But they've done it four times in basketball. Again, get a couple of good players (Craig Smith, Jared Dudley) and you can compete with anybody.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:13 pm

I think you are missing my point. Because it is easier in hoop for every Butler, Siena, Gonzaga, George Mason and Duke to be competitive, it is harder for every team to win big. It is much more impressive to win your conference or advance in the tourney in hoop than it is in football simply because there are more good teams.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

no, he expects less in basketball...that is his point, and its stupid. B ut thats why he was happy with al....so whatever.

No the point is that 20 wins and a second round loss in hoop means a ton more than 8-9 wins and the Shit Bowl in football. Oh, and that the comparison to TOB is fucktarded. Oh, and I wasn't happy with Al, I just didn't think he deserved to be fired. I wasn't happy with Al 4 years ago either, but couldn't deny his success.

0-4 ain't bad. You could kick FGS for your hero Spaz.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:21 pm

Due to the tourney being random, hopefully we'll receive some random luck next time we're in the tourney.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think you are missing my point. Because it is easier in hoop for every Butler, Siena, Gonzaga, George Mason and Duke to be competitive, it is harder for every team to win big. It is much more impressive to win your conference or advance in the tourney in hoop than it is in football simply because there are more good teams.

I see your point, but I just think the positives and negatives in both sports make things even out for BC. For schools like Florida, Bama, LSU, etc - it will always be easier to win big in football as opposed to basketball. At schools like BC, Wake, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc I think both jobs have about the same level of difficulty for different reasons. Therefore, I have the same expectations for both sports. Win the conference once every five or ten years.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:25 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think you are missing my point. Because it is easier in hoop for every Butler, Siena, Gonzaga, George Mason and Duke to be competitive, it is harder for every team to win big. It is much more impressive to win your conference or advance in the tourney in hoop than it is in football simply because there are more good teams.

I see your point, but I just think the positives and negatives in both sports make things even out for BC. For schools like Florida, Bama, LSU, etc - it will always be easier to win big in football as opposed to basketball. At schools like BC, Wake, Duke, Northwestern, Stanford, etc I think both jobs have about the same level of difficulty for different reasons. Therefore, I have the same expectations for both sports. Win the conference once every five or ten years.

I don't have a problem with those expectations. They are also a distinguishing factor between TOB and Al. I just think that reaching those expectations will be harder for the next hoop coach than for Spaz, although I fear that the next title is more likely to come in hoop.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:31 pm

It's easier to make a quick turnaround and win big for a year or two in basketball because it only requires adding a few good players (see this year's Kentucky team). I think it's more difficult to build sustained success because you have very little room for error in recruiting. Once you get to a certain level in football, a decline is less likely because you have 20 new guys a year.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:33 pm

Thank you Al, the long awaited day has come - for now we won't have to hear from OJ any longer.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
JConman {l Wrote}:That would be the fact that JOB left us with 6 scholarship players, 4 of whom were seniors, and accused BC of being a racist institution (thereby killing us with local recruits) on his way out the door. Not exactly a great situation to step into.

Most coaches leave on a bad note and leave the cupboard bare. A program two years removed from the elite eight isn't exactly a program in shambles.

I will assume that you forgot to hit the red font button. Or that you graduated in 94 and thus have a man crush on the biggest scumbag ever to coach at BC. You are forgiven for that given the joy you must have felt over the Elite 8 appearance.

Did I say anything about JOB? I never said I was a JOB supporter. But, I wouldn't have minded following him. Personally, I can't think of a better situation for a coach to take over. The last coach leaves on very bad terms, leaves you with a blank canvas, build your team the way you want to.

I can think of a better situation. 6 seniors with decent MAAC talent and a banked scholarship.

fixed

Got it. So he has bad talent, and is a bad coach, but wizardry led to a win over UNC.

Can't have it both ways OJ. Either the talent is there, so Al did a bad job coaching (my belief) or the talent is "MAAC level" and 6 wins in the ACC is a bang up job. Pick one.

yes, because UNC was tremendous this year. The harvard games were nice, too.

Point? Is it your contention that UNC has worse than MAAC talent? Or that we lost to Harvard not because of bad coaching but a lack of talent? Or am I giving you too much credit for suggesting that you might actually have a point in your wiseassness?

I will opt for the latter.

Did they have MACC talent and do better than a MAAC team would in the ACC because Al is a good coach or did they underachieve with good talent because Al did a bad job?

OJ - do you ever intend to answer Teddy's question? Inquiring minds want to know.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
JConman {l Wrote}:That would be the fact that JOB left us with 6 scholarship players, 4 of whom were seniors, and accused BC of being a racist institution (thereby killing us with local recruits) on his way out the door. Not exactly a great situation to step into.

Most coaches leave on a bad note and leave the cupboard bare. A program two years removed from the elite eight isn't exactly a program in shambles.

I will assume that you forgot to hit the red font button. Or that you graduated in 94 and thus have a man crush on the biggest scumbag ever to coach at BC. You are forgiven for that given the joy you must have felt over the Elite 8 appearance.

Did I say anything about JOB? I never said I was a JOB supporter. But, I wouldn't have minded following him. Personally, I can't think of a better situation for a coach to take over. The last coach leaves on very bad terms, leaves you with a blank canvas, build your team the way you want to.

I can think of a better situation. 6 seniors with decent MAAC talent and a banked scholarship.

fixed

Got it. So he has bad talent, and is a bad coach, but wizardry led to a win over UNC.

Can't have it both ways OJ. Either the talent is there, so Al did a bad job coaching (my belief) or the talent is "MAAC level" and 6 wins in the ACC is a bang up job. Pick one.

Point? Is it your contention that UNC has worse than MAAC talent? Or that we lost to Harvard not because of bad coaching but a lack of talent? Or am I giving you too much credit for suggesting that you might actually have a point in your wiseassness?

Did they have MACC talent and do better than a MAAC team would in the ACC because Al is a good coach or did they underachieve with good talent because Al did a bad job?

OJ - do you ever intend to answer Teddy's question? Inquiring minds want to know.

sure. al is an average coach and had average talent in the ACC this year. Yet he finished 15-16 and 6-11 in a HORRIBLE ACC. i wouldn't say that his performance this year contradicts either of those statements. Being that h is an average coach, he needs to be a great recruitr to take BC to a higher level. He has proven that he is a crappy recruiter and any good guys he has gotten in the past wre due to his assistants that are no longer here.

Yet TWB is perfectly happy with average for BC hoops, because we cant do better.
Last edited by Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

fixed

sure. al is an average coach and had average talent in the ACC this year. Yet he finished 16-16 and 6-11. i wouldn't say that his performance this year contradicts either of those statements. Being that h is an average coach, he needs to be a great recruitr to take BC to a higher level. He has proven that he is a crappy recruiter and any good guys he has gotten in the past wre due to his assistants that are no longer here.

Yet TWB is perfectly happy with average for BC hoops, because we cant do better.

MAAC talent = average talent? I doubt any MAAC team would have 6 wins in the ACC.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

fixed

sure. al is an average coach and had average talent in the ACC this year. Yet he finished 16-16 and 6-11. i wouldn't say that his performance this year contradicts either of those statements. Being that h is an average coach, he needs to be a great recruitr to take BC to a higher level. He has proven that he is a crappy recruiter and any good guys he has gotten in the past wre due to his assistants that are no longer here.

MAAC talent = average talent? I doubt any MAAC team would have 6 wins in the ACC.

was there top-tier ACC talent on this team? No. Was the talent so bad that we should have lost to UVA, Harvard, URI, St Joes, and Maine? No.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:34 pm

I think Al Skinner was great...he has been BC's basketball coach since I was 7...So for me Al Skinner is BC basketball, he had a great run, but it was simply time to go, the program was dead, 0 excitement, 0 enthusiasm, 0 buzz...Today I talked basketball with people I didn't even know were interested in it and no one has even been hired! GDF don't screw this up, if you make the right move basketball at BC will explode...wrong choice and we will be the laughingstock of the ACC...Its on yuo Gene don't F*** IT UP!
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
was there top-tier ACC talent on this team? No. Was the talent so bad that we should have lost to UVA, Harvard, URI, St Joes, and Maine? No.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:13 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

fixed

Wait...so was it MAAC talent, average talent or mid-level ACC talent?
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:20 pm

If he doesn't say, then he can't be wrong.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum