Thanks Al Skinner

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Thanks Al Skinner

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:50 pm

We really haven't had a formal "thank you" thread, and if we did I must have missed it. The last two of three years of his stay here might have been a little damaging to his legacy, but I'll always appreciate the good years. He was National Coach of the Year in 2000 and really was solely responsible for ressurecting the Boston College basketball program (which I like, by the way.) Although he might have had issues with motivation, in-game coaching and playing down to his opponent, he's still a quality coach and it's time to move on. Good luck handsome Al. Remember the 'stache.
Last edited by BCEagles25 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Re: Thanks Al Skinner

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:51 pm

I hope Al finds a great, well paying job coaching basketball and I have no doubt he will.

I'm just glad it won't be at BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Some great memories, some not so great memories....but thank you for your service and rebuilding of a program that was in shambles. I wish you the best of luck at whatever you do next.

It was time to move on and I hope in a week or two everyone on both sides can realize that.

Thanks for everything Al!
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:55 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:We really haven't had a formal "thank you" thread, and if we did I must have missed it. The last two of three years of his stay here might have been a little damaging to his legacy, but I will always appreciate the good years. He was National Coach of the Year in 2000 and really was solely responsible for ressurecting the Boston College basketball program (which I like, by the way.) Although he might have had issues with motivation, in-game coaching and playing down to his opponent, he's still a quality coach and it's time to move on. Good luck handsome Al. Remember the 'stache.

Al had some highlights but what's all this "ressurecting the Boston College basketball program" about?
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:56 pm

totheights {l Wrote}:
It was time to move on and I hope in a week or two everyone on both sides can realize that.

Some of us knew it was time while others would not admit it. I feel vindicated.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby talon on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:I feel vindicated.

saying that before a replacement is hired is saying that BC is currently at the rock bottom and things could not possibly be any worse than they are right now.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby JConman on Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:59 pm

That would be the fact that JOB left us with 6 scholarship players, 4 of whom were seniors, and accused BC of being a racist institution (thereby killing us with local recruits) on his way out the door. Not exactly a great situation to step into.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:00 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:That would be the fact that JOB left us with 6 scholarship players, 4 of whom were seniors, and accused BC of being a racist institution (thereby killing us with local recruits) on his way out the door. Not exactly a great situation to step into.

This.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby totheights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:02 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:We really haven't had a formal "thank you" thread, and if we did I must have missed it. The last two of three years of his stay here might have been a little damaging to his legacy, but I will always appreciate the good years. He was National Coach of the Year in 2000 and really was solely responsible for ressurecting the Boston College basketball program (which I like, by the way.) Although he might have had issues with motivation, in-game coaching and playing down to his opponent, he's still a quality coach and it's time to move on. Good luck handsome Al. Remember the 'stache.

Al had some highlights but what's all this "ressurecting the Boston College basketball program" about?

Read this:

JConman {l Wrote}:That would be the fact that JOB left us with 6 scholarship players, 4 of whom were seniors, and accused BC of being a racist institution (thereby killing us with local recruits) on his way out the door. Not exactly a great situation to step into.
totheights
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:34 pm

I thank Al for his service. By and large, he did a good job. Too bad the ending was less than perfect. I wish him well.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:45 pm

Al Skinner did for the basketball team what Tom O'Brien always claimed to do for the football team. He did a tremendous amount of good for BC, and if you can't get past the few up-and-down seasons to admit it, then fuck you.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Most coaches leave on a bad note and leave the cupboard bare. A program two years removed from the elite eight isn't exactly a program in shambles.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:47 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Al Skinner did for the basketball team what Tom O'Brien always claimed to do for the football team. He did a tremendous amount of good for BC, and if you can't get past the few up-and-down seasons to admit it, then fuck you.

This. Inherent in this comment is also the two differences between TOB and Skinner:

1. TOB claimed to do bring BC football back/Al Skinner did bring BC basketball back.

2. TOB told us about it incessantly while Al went about his business.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:49 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Most coaches leave on a bad note and leave the cupboard bare. A program two years removed from the elite eight isn't exactly a program in shambles.

I will assume that you forgot to hit the red font button. Or that you graduated in 94 and thus have a man crush on the biggest scumbag ever to coach at BC. You are forgiven for that given the joy you must have felt over the Elite 8 appearance.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:52 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I thank Al for his service. By and large, he did a good job. Too bad the ending was less than perfect. I wish him well.

Coughlin's Law: Everything ends badly, or else it wouldn't end.

Godspeed to Al. It was a hell of a run.

Edit: I'm a moron.
Last edited by EagleNYC on Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby janebc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:58 pm

I concur with 2BG. Unlike others, who talked constantly, and got the media to talk constantly, about "bringing back" a BC program from the ashes, Al actually did that-and what's more, he did not continually use it as an excuse to fall back on. He deserves credit and gratitude for that.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm

janebc {l Wrote}:I concur with 2BG. Unlike others, who talked constantly, and got the media to talk constantly, about "bringing back" a BC program from the ashes, Al actually did that-and what's more, he did not continually use it as an excuse to fall back on. He deserves credit and gratitude for that.

he deserves credit for what he did, but lets not overstate what he did....it was time to go because he proved he had a low ceiling.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

I will assume that you forgot to hit the red font button. Or that you graduated in 94 and thus have a man crush on the biggest scumbag ever to coach at BC. You are forgiven for that given the joy you must have felt over the Elite 8 appearance.

Did I say anything about JOB? I never said I was a JOB supporter. But, I wouldn't have minded following him. Personally, I can't think of a better situation for a coach to take over. The last coach leaves on very bad terms, leaves you with a blank canvas, build your team the way you want to.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:01 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

Did I say anything about JOB? I never said I was a JOB supporter. But, I wouldn't have minded following him. Personally, I can't think of a better situation for a coach to take over. The last coach leaves on very bad terms, leaves you with a blank canvas, build your team the way you want to.

I can think of a better situation. 6 seniors with decent talent and a banked scholarship.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

I can think of a better situation. 6 seniors with decent MAAC talent and a banked scholarship.

fixed
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Al Skinner did for the basketball team what Tom O'Brien always claimed to do for the football team. He did a tremendous amount of good for BC, and if you can't get past the few up-and-down seasons to admit it, then fuck you.

This. Inherent in this comment is also the two differences between TOB and Skinner:

1. TOB claimed to do bring BC football back/Al Skinner did bring BC basketball back.

2. TOB told us about it incessantly while Al went about his business.

That is why I will always respect Al Skinner and loathe TOB.

But as I have said, I support Gene's decision here.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

I can think of a better situation. 6 seniors with decent MAAC talent and a banked scholarship.

fixed

Got it. So he has bad talent, and is a bad coach, but wizardry led to a win over UNC.

Can't have it both ways OJ. Either the talent is there, so Al did a bad job coaching (my belief) or the talent is "MAAC level" and 6 wins in the ACC is a bang up job. Pick one.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Can't have it both ways OJ.

:lol: - you just said that to OJ.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Eagledom on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

fixed

Got it. So he has bad talent, and is a bad coach, but wizardry led to a win over UNC.

Can't have it both ways OJ. Either the talent is there, so Al did a bad job coaching (my belief) or the talent is "MAAC level" and 6 wins in the ACC is a bang up job. Pick one.

yes, because UNC was tremendous this year. The harvard games were nice, too.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Heights on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:20 pm

I think all BC fans should at least never forget his refusal to discuss or use as an excuse the past when he took over and in the subsequent early bad seasons. In stark contrast to TOB who never tired of self-servingly bringing up the mess he inherited right up until he left. No comparison in my book, Al had far more guts and class.
"We have everyone on our 2010 schedule but the New England Patriots"

Frank Spaziani
Heights
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:21 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:

fixed

yes, because UNC was tremendous this year. The harvard games were nice, too.

Point? Is it your contention that UNC has worse than MAAC talent? Or that we lost to Harvard not because of bad coaching but a lack of talent? Or am I giving you too much credit for suggesting that you might actually have a point in your wiseassness?

I will opt for the latter.

Did they have MACC talent and do better than a MAAC team would in the ACC because Al is a good coach or did they underachieve with good talent because Al did a bad job?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:22 pm

Heights {l Wrote}:I think all BC fans should at least never forget his refusal to discuss or use as an excuse the past when he took over and in the subsequent early bad seasons. In stark contrast to TOB who never tired of self-servingly bringing up the mess he inherited right up until he left. No comparison in my book, Al had far more guts and class.

Al's X10 the person that TOB will ever be. Although true, their coaching careers have a fairly good parallel.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Heights {l Wrote}:I think all BC fans should at least never forget his refusal to discuss or use as an excuse the past when he took over and in the subsequent early bad seasons. In stark contrast to TOB who never tired of self-servingly bringing up the mess he inherited right up until he left. No comparison in my book, Al had far more guts and class.

Al's X10 the person that TOB will ever be. Although true, their coaching careers have a fairly good parallel.

Other than the fact that it is much harder to win big in hoop, the fact that you can miss more recruiting in football, and the fact that there are more than 0 conference championship banners hanging in Conte because of Al, yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:30 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Other than the fact that it is much harder to win big in hoop, the fact that you can miss more recruiting in football, and the fact that there are more than 0 conference championship banners hanging in Conte because of Al, yes.

In some ways it is harder to win big in hoop. Sure there are many more teams in bball, but it's much easier for small schools to compete with the big ones. Butler is in the FInal Four. Duke has been the most dominant ACC program over the last 30 years or so. It would be almost impossible for Duke to pull that off in football. In basketball, get a good coach, two or three good players and your basketball team can compete with anybody.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:34 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

In some ways it is harder to win big in hoop. Sure there are many more teams in bball, but it's much easier for small schools to compete with the big ones. Butler is in the FInal Four. Duke has been the most dominant ACC program over the last 30 years or so. It would be almost impossible for Duke to pull that off in football. In basketball, get a good coach, two or three good players and your basketball team can compete with anybody.

Yes, everybody can compete, that's what makes it harder to win big. BC has competed. That's not good enough for OJ. I said "win big". It was easy for Jags to walk in and immediately take them to back to back conference championship games and a top 10 ranking. It won't be easy to walk into BC hoop and take BC to back to back ACC championships.

Plus, would anyone attempt to compare BE and ACC football over the past 14 years to BE and ACC basketball? It is just easier to win 8-9 games and go to a mediocre bowl than it is to win 20-25 games and go to the second or third round of the dance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Conte Forum